Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

spndnchz

Clearly a no'see'um... like that he is a veteran, like that he costs 1M, like that he a center, dislike that he is 35, dislike that he is a 50% faceoff dude.

age is not a factor IMO. Look at guys like Recchi. Granted he's a wing but he was wrote off 2 years ago and scored 23 goals and 18 goals respectively.

He's restricted, so they have the right to keep him if they want. The only way they lose him for nothing is if he retires, which isn't gonna happen.

Anaheim has the right to keep him, but they cannot take him to arbitration, so there is no contract for next season. If Ryan continues to turn down Anaheim's offer, he can sit out. I don't know why Ryan would, but I also don't know why Anaheim would continue to turn away draft picks or players for someone who doesn't want to play for their team.

age is not a factor IMO. Look at guys like Recchi. Granted he's a wing but he was wrote off 2 years ago and scored 23 goals and 18 goals respectively.

I would be happy with 10-15 goals, some pk time and a healthy 80 games. I don't think he is here to dog it...doesn't seem like that is in the blood lines. Who cares if he didn't score in Jersey...they might be the most offensivley challenged teams in the league. Though...that should start to change.

Anaheim has the right to keep him, but they cannot take him to arbitration, so there is no contract for next season. If Ryan continues to turn down Anaheim's offer, he can sit out. I don't know why Ryan would, but I also don't know why Anaheim would continue to turn away draft picks or players for someone who doesn't want to play for their team.

If he doesn't like the Ducks, he could do Rosetta Stone Russian style and play a year in the KHL:)

Funny!

I know you were joking, but similar to Zherdov, who has his rights when he returns?

I haven't seen any mention of it, but he was a RFA when he left the Rangers last year to head to the KHL. I don't know if they ever made a qualifying offer. If not, he is now an UFA.

Not this year...would you rather have some guys locked in or 1 for a year...if we don't try...Burke will get him next year.

I am totally fine with trying -- I'd love to get Ryan. I just think it will take much more than the package you proposed to get him. I'd guess something like Roy, Kassian and a #1.

I also don't know why Anaheim would continue to turn away draft picks or players for someone who doesn't want to play for their team.

Well, I'd expect their first choice is to sign him, and if they don't, they'll auction him off to the highest bidder. I don't think an auction process has started yet.

If he doesn't like the Ducks, he could do Rosetta Stone Russian style and play a year in the KHL:)

He could definitely do this, but I think he'd return to the same status -- ie Anaheim owns his NHL rights as an RFA.

I haven't seen any mention of it, but he was a RFA when he left the Rangers last year to head to the KHL. I don't know if they ever made a qualifying offer. If not, he is now an UFA.

He went to arbitration with the Rangers who did not accept the $3.9 million award. Therefore he's a UFA.

Not this year...would you rather have some guys locked in or 1 for a year...if we don't try...Burke will get him next year.

Barring an extension Ryan is an RFA for longer than just this year. Correct me if I'm wrong but players are not UFA eligible until they're 27 or served 7 years. By my count he has served 3 and is only 23.

Anyone can have him any year, but they'll have to pay full price until he is a UFA. If I'm Anaheim dealing with Buffalo any offer starts with Myers and goes from there.

The Rangers walked away from the arbitration ruling he was awarded.

Barring an extension Ryan is an RFA for longer than just this year. Correct me if I'm wrong but players are not UFA eligible until they're 27 or served 7 years. By my count he has served 3 and is only 23.

Anyone can have him any year, but they'll have to pay full price until he is a UFA. If I'm Anaheim dealing with Buffalo any offer starts with Myers and goes from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong here Lanny, but if Buffalo pitches him an offer sheet, and he does not accept it, Buffalo could re-pitch an offer sheet until he likes it, correct? And if this actually the case, once he accepts an offer sheet, Anahiem has the right to match, correct?

If Anahiem refuses to match, and depending on where the amount ends up combined with his tier 1 status, Buffalo would stand to lose a minimum of 3 first round draft picks and at most 4 first round draft picks, is this also correct?

Becuase if that is the case, give the dam 4 first rounders and sign this guy to a 3 or 4 year 6 mil a year contract.

He would be worth every bit of it and with Rivet and Montador coming off the books next season in conjuction with the young D talent being brought up on ELC's and the cap cieling going up, we should have enough to sign Myers no problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong here Lanny, but if Buffalo pitches him an offer sheet, and he does not accept it, Buffalo could re-pitch an offer sheet until he likes it, correct? And if this actually the case, once he accepts an offer sheet, Anahiem has the right to match, correct?

If Anahiem refuses to match, and depending on where the amount ends up combined with his tier 1 status, Buffalo would stand to lose a minimum of 3 first round draft picks and at most 4 first round draft picks, is this also correct?

Becuase if that is the case, give the dam 4 first rounders and sign this guy to a 3 or 4 year 6 mil a year contract.

He would be worth every bit of it and with Rivet and Montador coming off the books next season in conjuction with the young D talent being brought up on ELC's and the cap cieling going up, we should have enough to sign Myers no problem.

You're absolutely right that they can offer sheet him, I was responding to the notion that Anaheim was going to lose him without compensation next season if he isn't signed to a long term extension or traded. In fact, according to the numbers I found a 6 mil offer wouldn't cost the 4 first rounders, however these numbers are from 2008 and i'm not sure if the compensation changes each year:

WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION REQUIRED FOR SIGNING A RFA TO AN OFFER SHEET?

For 2008-09, the compensation due for signing a RFA to an Offer Sheet is:

Amount

Compensation Due

$863,156 or less - None

$863,156 - $1,307,812 - 3rd round pick

$1,307,812 - $2,615,625 - 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,437 - 1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,437 - $5,231,249 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,249 - $6,539,062 - Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,062 or more - Four 1st round picks

http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm

Thanks Lanny.

Getzlaf and Perry are both under 5.5 mil. Would Anahiem pay Bobby Ryan more than those players?

They have the cap space according to capgeek.com, but would they shell out 6.5 million for 4 seasons for this guy?

Thanks Lanny.

Getzlaf and Perry are both under 5.5 mil. Would Anahiem pay Bobby Ryan more than those players?

They have the cap space according to capgeek.com, but would they shell out 6.5 million for 4 seasons for this guy?

I don't see why they wouldn't, they seem like the type of players you work to keep and build your franchise around. Like the Sabres with Vanek, Pominville, and Connolly :thumbsup:

It's no different than any other free agent negotiation. He can talk freely with anyone until he reaches an agreement on a contract. If that happens, those terms are then presented to Anaheim and they're given the choice to match. I'm not really sure on the origins of the term "offer sheet", but that is used to define the contract signed with the other non-Anaheim team.

"this team needs grit!" "this team is a bunch of young brats!" "there is no leadership!"

Buffalo signs a Neidermayer.. and nobody even cares? Granted he's not SCOTT, but this is an awesome signing in my mind.

Not sure if I reach awesome with this, but I see it as pretty good. A veteran, big, been in big games before and has won. I think it helps the lockeroom a lot. Its a good move but nothing great.

I was thinking the same thing. Bieksa is rumored to be available now that Hamhuis is in Vancouver. He's a little injury prone but would fit in the top 4 nicely....Sabres were rumored to have an interest in him two years ago.

Living in Vancouver and watching the Canucks all year long, I can tell you that we'd be better off with Shane O'Brien and his $1.6 million than Bieksa's $3.6 million.

Bieksa is a major liability in his own end. He's not big enough. OB is bigger and a better team guy. He's had some off ice issues (eating too much and partying during the Olympics) but he's a true Irishmen and cares about his mates. Bieksa is moody and only seems to play well when he gets really mad, which isn't often enough. Bieksa plays well when he fights, but he only does it every 15 games or so.

No thanks is what I'd say. O'Brien, fine, but not Bieksa.

You're absolutely right that they can offer sheet him, I was responding to the notion that Anaheim was going to lose him without compensation next season if he isn't signed to a long term extension or traded. In fact, according to the numbers I found a 6 mil offer wouldn't cost the 4 first rounders, however these numbers are from 2008 and i'm not sure if the compensation changes each year:

WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION REQUIRED FOR SIGNING A RFA TO AN OFFER SHEET?

For 2008-09, the compensation due for signing a RFA to an Offer Sheet is:

Amount

Compensation Due

$863,156 or less - None

$863,156 - $1,307,812 - 3rd round pick

$1,307,812 - $2,615,625 - 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,437 - 1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,437 - $5,231,249 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,249 - $6,539,062 - Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,062 or more - Four 1st round picks

http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm

Thanks. I've been looking for the 2010 numbers, but the closest I ever came was 2008. Now, I'm a little closer.

Archived