Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

spndnchz

I'll be linking this one to show the league what class this fanbase has.

Lifting the Cup = ###### and Pedophilia

Christ, you people suck.

There have been some really stupid posts in this forum, I know as I have authored many of them, but this one takes the cake. What about life don't you get?

I, for one, like this signing, and I can see what Regier's perspective is here.

When we tried to sign Drury (and with intent, not Briere) with ungodly amounts of money being offered, we showed our cards a bit. Regier perceived that the up and coming young players could help fill the scoring void, but not the void of leadership left behind, which justified (to him) trying to throw $7M around in free agency. Since then, scoring goals hasn't been the Sabres greatest weakness, but the argument exists that the lack of player leadership and experience could be.

Regier is looking to Niedermayer (along with Grier) to provide the leadership that left with Drury, but without the price tag that accompanies buying or trading for Drury's 2007 37-goal season.

However, our goals/game scoring average went from top five (1st and 5th) in the league those years to top fifteen (10th and 12th) afterward (not mention our drop off in PP%), so there's definitely still a strong case to bring in a scoring top-six RW.

I, for one, like this signing, and I can see what Regier's perspective is here.

When we tried to sign Drury (and with intent, not Briere) with ungodly amounts of money being offered, we showed our cards a bit. Regier perceived that the up and coming young players could help fill the scoring void, but not the void of leadership left behind, which justified (to him) trying to throw $7M around in free agency. Since then, scoring goals hasn't been the Sabres greatest weakness, but the argument exists that the lack of player leadership and experience could be.

Regier is looking to Niedermayer (along with Grier) to provide the leadership that left with Drury, but without the price tag that accompanies buying or trading for Drury's 2007 37-goal season.

However, our goals/game scoring average went from top five (1st and 5th) in the league those years to top fifteen (10th and 12th) afterward (not mention our drop off in PP%), so there's definitely still a strong case to bring in a scoring top-six RW.

Completely agree, especially the bolded part.

But, here is the thing, those leadership players you speak of, they need to be the clutch, leadership players on the ice when it counts, during those situations that can win or lose you a game, Niedermayer may be able to teach that to some of these players, but how long will that take? Its not like he's going to be that clutch, go to, skilled player now.

Thats may take on the situation anyways. Not a bad signing, but not what was truly needed to address the teams needs immediately.

I think Rob knows how to win, which is something a lot of these players don't know how to do. 2 years out of the lockout they're all freshfaced, I don't think they learned a lot from those two ECF runs. It basically boils down to would you rather have Rob niedermayer or Adam Mair and for me, it's Rob all the way. He's everything Mair is plus a guy who has won the cup. I don't think anyone else on our team has won a cup..

It basically boils down to would you rather have Rob niedermayer or Adam Mair and for me, it's Rob all the way. He's everything Mair is plus a guy who has won the cup. I don't think anyone else on our team has won a cup.

Mair is a better fighter. Other than that, though, you are probably right.

I'll be linking this one to show the league what class this fanbase has.

Lifting the Cup = ###### and Pedophilia

Christ, you people suck.

Not if I link this one to show the league first!

"Frig off Ricky!" :angry:

So, about this Rob Niedermayer guy......................................

Rob Niedermayer is going to be the 3rd line center most likely, with Kennedy and Grier as his linemates, no?

If this is the case, can he pass the puck? How is his stick work and does he take the abuse infront of the net?

This guy may actually help this line, specifically Kennedy. Any thoughts on this?

Rob Niedermayer is going to be the 3rd line center most likely, with Kennedy and Grier as his linemates, no?

If this is the case, can he pass the puck? How is his stick work and does he take the abuse infront of the net?

This guy may actually help this line, specifically Kennedy. Any thoughts on this?

Ask Vogl. He wrote the definitive analysis of Niedermayer's game.

I think you could see Hecht on that wing instead and Kennedy bumped up a line. The chemistry last year with Grier and Hecht worked pretty well.

Fixed that for you. How many fights did Mair get in last year? His physical game has tailed off substantially over the last couple years.

Three, including holding his own against a bigger Lucic. He had five fights last year.

Nieds was never much of a fighter.

Exactly. Mair may do it less now, but he was and still is a better fighter.

I think you could see Hecht on that wing instead and Kennedy bumped up a line. The chemistry last year with Grier and Hecht worked pretty well.

I won't say it isn't possible, but Kennedy did do well with Grier from time to time.

As for him on the line with Connolly and Pommers, I have to wonder if that line doesn't get beat up every time they take the ice.

I won't say it isn't possible, but Kennedy did do well with Grier from time to time.

As for him on the line with Connolly and Pommers, I have to wonder if that line doesn't get beat up every time they take the ice.

The 3rd line will be the one containing the other team's top line. I really doubt you will regularly see Kennedy on that line with Hecht on the 4th line.

Hecht was born to play wing on the 3rd line. Unfortunately, the Sabres have tended to need him on one of the top 2.

The 3rd line will be the one containing the other team's top line. I really doubt you will regularly see Kennedy on that line with Hecht on the 4th line.

Hecht was born to play wing on the 3rd line. Unfortunately, the Sabres have tended to need him on one of the top 2.

This is true Taro, he has played with Connolly and Pommers quite a bit.

I also would wonder if Buffalo (a big if I know) picked up Sharp, we might see a line of Ennis - Sharp - Pommers.

Would be interesting, but then, if Hecht takes the 3rd line, Vanek on the first, where does that leave Kennedy I wonder?

Right now, it looks as though Buffalo has Gerbe and Ennis pushing to make the roster, 14 forwards with 12 positions, I have to think Darcy moves a player or 2, that being a possibility, could Kennedy see Line 2 action with Ennis up on Line 1?

Many questions on this roster, and training camp will shake it out, but it is a curious situation at this time.

This is true Taro, he has played with Connolly and Pommers quite a bit.

I also would wonder if Buffalo (a big if I know) picked up Sharp, we might see a line of Ennis - Sharp - Pommers.

Would be interesting, but then, if Hecht takes the 3rd line, Vanek on the first, where does that leave Kennedy I wonder?

Right now, it looks as though Buffalo has Gerbe and Ennis pushing to make the roster, 14 forwards with 12 positions, I have to think Darcy moves a player or 2, that being a possibility, could Kennedy see Line 2 action with Ennis up on Line 1?

Many questions on this roster, and training camp will shake it out, but it is a curious situation at this time.

I'd be fine w/ the Sabres grabbing Sharp (if they're going to make a play for someone, I'd prefer Brad Richards (not that he's on the market, but it would make sense for an offer to be able to pry him from Dallas)). If Connolly is gone to make that move happen, then I'd expect your suggestion to be the line. If Roy goes, then Sharp probably plays w/ Vanek and someone named Stafford, Pominville, or NEW GUY.

As to the bolded statement, without a move; unless Ennis can play on the right side, I don't see Kennedy on either of the top 2 lines (he's not a better center than Timmy or Derek, and he's not a better winger than Vanek or IMHO Ennis. I wouldn't want to put a kid getting his 1st full season NHL action on his wrong wing, so I'd hesitate to put Ennis on the right side even if he can play there.

That puts Kennedy on the 4th line, but makes him the 1st injury bump to the top 2 LW/C slots (Gerbe gets 1st crack on RW).

All bets are off w/ a trade being made, as a move to upgrade the D would likely open up a top 2 line slot for Kennedy, a move to upgrade RW might open up a slot, and a move to upgrade C in all likelihood wouldn't open up a spot.

As to the bolded statement, without a move; unless Ennis can play on the right side, I don't see Kennedy on either of the top 2 lines (he's not a better center than Timmy or Derek, and he's not a better winger than Vanek or IMHO Ennis. I wouldn't want to put a kid getting his 1st full season NHL action on his wrong wing, so I'd hesitate to put Ennis on the right side even if he can play there.

Don't forget that Vanek played on Roy's right in the final two regular season games (scored 5 goals, though only a few were regular, 5-on-5 goals) and even in the playoffs. Gerbe, Kennedy and Ennis took turns on Roy's left. Vanek is right-handed, so naturally a fit on the right wing, but obviously there are exceptions. However, I'd like to see them try that more if another right-winger isn't added.

Don't forget that Vanek played on Roy's right in the final two regular season games (scored 5 goals, though only a few were regular, 5-on-5 goals) and even in the playoffs. Gerbe, Kennedy and Ennis took turns on Roy's left. Vanek is right-handed, so naturally a fit on the right wing, but obviously there are exceptions. However, I'd like to see them try that more if another right-winger isn't added.

Haven't forgotten about him being a right handed shot and I know that he has played RW on occassion. I'd be surprised if they put him there regularly. By game 2 of the playoffs he was back on the LW. (IIRC, he was there most of game 1 as well.) But considering that if Stafford is still a Sabre this season it gives the Sabres a chance to go w/

Ennis - Roy - Vanek

Kennedy - Connolly - Pominville

I would not be opposed to it. I don't expect to see that lineup, but stranger things have happened.

Haven't forgotten about him being a right handed shot and I know that he has played RW on occassion. I'd be surprised if they put him there regularly. By game 2 of the playoffs he was back on the LW. (IIRC, he was there most of game 1 as well.) But considering that if Stafford is still a Sabre this season it gives the Sabres a chance to go w/

Ennis - Roy - Vanek

I would not be opposed to it. I don't expect to see that lineup, but stranger things have happened.

I just checked the play-by-play in playoffs and Kennedy-Roy-Vanek was a line throughout game 1 and up until Vanek was injured in game 2. I can't say that they didn't switch sides at some point, but Lindy didn't change the line (I know, PA, shocker!)

I love the fantasy line combos. Have you all forgotten who's behind the bench?

The way he continuously switches, those combos are bound to show up one day (then go away after one bad shift/game). Kind of like a broken clock being correct twice a day.

Ennis - Roy - Vanek

I like those lines and half-expect to see this (although I think Hecht will start the season with TC and Pommer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy grab the spot at some point). I also have high hopes for Ennis. However, what does Stafford have to do with it?

I like those lines and half-expect to see this (although I think Hecht will start the season with TC and Pommer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy grab the spot at some point). I also have high hopes for Ennis. However, what does Stafford have to do with it?

Ya nfreeman, thats my thoughts as well. Lindy seems to like Hecht with Connolly and Pommers. I would like to see what Ennis, Kennedy or Gerbe could do on that line though.

And as for Ennis with Roy and Vanek, it may make for an interesting line. I am hopeful Ennis puts on a couple more pounds over the Summer.

Archived