Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

spndnchz

I just checked the play-by-play in playoffs and Kennedy-Roy-Vanek was a line throughout game 1 and up until Vanek was injured in game 2. I can't say that they didn't switch sides at some point, but Lindy didn't change the line (I know, PA, shocker!)

Went back and rewatched the 1st period of Game 2. They were typically a line in the 1st period in Game 2, but Kennedy and Vanek tended to switch sides during the play a lot. Vanek had switched to the left side in the zone on Myers goal and he never went even to the middle of the ice on the shift where he got the breakaway. In their own zone, Vanek tended to the right side (except on the shift of doom), and they tended to swap sides in the Bruins zone. (They did it on one other shift as well.) Since Vanek played most all his offensive zone time and had definitely come up the left wing on the breakaway, that's probably why I thought he was playing full time LW that game. My bad.

Something I hadn't noticed when at that game, but Vanek was on the ice twice w/ Ennis (1 pp, 1 4-on-4) and Vanek played left and Ennis right both times. Maybe there's hope for seeing Vanek - Roy - Ennis yet. But if they do play together I'd expect it to be w/ Vanek at right in the zone and swapping over on the good side of the red line.

And on one other 4-on-4 shift, Vanek was left and Mair right.

I like those lines and half-expect to see this (although I think Hecht will start the season with TC and Pommer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy grab the spot at some point). I also have high hopes for Ennis. However, what does Stafford have to do with it?

What should he have to do w/ it? Nothing. But if he's still a Sabre come October, I have a suspicion that we'll see Vanek-Roy-Stafford (at least early in the season) far more often than either the REV line or the KRV line.

And, for whatever reason, I think Hecht starts out on a line w/ Grier shutting down the other team's top line.

And, for whatever reason, I think Hecht starts out on a line w/ Grier shutting down the other team's top line.

With Niedermayer. It almost makes too much sense. Those three were the top shorthanded ice time forwards on their teams, so it almost seems like a lock that they should be our go-to guys for a defensive situation.

• 3 weeks later...

In accordance with todays presser, Darcy Regier confirmed Rob Niedermayer was brought in for "CENTER" depth.

Therefore, all talk on him moving to the wing is a moot point IMHO.

And that Roy and Connolly are not going anywhere else.

In accordance with todays presser, Darcy Regier confirmed Rob Niedermayer was brought in for "CENTER" depth.

Therefore, all talk on him moving to the wing is a moot point IMHO.

Until his second shift, game one. ;)

• 3 months later...

Wow!

Another fringe player on a roster loaded with fringe players.

What about unloading some fringe players for players that can make a real difference?

It is not a terribly upsetting move, but more like insignificant. I guess the Sabres organization thinks that the current core players are good enough. I don't think so!

I'll stick with my thoughts on Niedermeyer I made back in July. He is insignificant and the core players for the Sabres are still not good enough.

I found it interesting to read some of the other posts about Niedermeyer. Anyone care to revise or extend your comments?

It's not a bad signing, but it's typical on-the-cheap thinking.

We need size, experience, and a winner, especially up the middle.

Darcy brings us a 35 year old, 10 goal scoring, plays smaller than his vitals, $1 million guy looking to spend the last year or two of his career in a family friendly town with little pressure before heading off into the sunset on his BC ranch.

Darcy gets to check off some columns on the need list for a buck over six figures. That's how he can sleep at night thinking he is good at his job.

Once again.....find me a player on this roster than can net 15+ goals and that has a testosterone level higher than a Vienna Choir Boy.

You can't do it.

Right now Matt Ellis is looking like the better option. Not that Niedermeyer has been bad, but he's not putting up any numbers at all.

Nieds only needs three more goals to tie with Ellis' production last year. Just because Ellis (while I do like him) flops around seems aggressive doesn't make him a great player.

Not all birds that flap their wings incessantly will end up flying.

Archived