Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

spndnchz

Only when it becomes painfully obvious that a clearcut consesus is being formed on the matter will everyone move back towards the middle. Basically....the stages of grief souped up. I think that has run it's course on this website over the last 4 years. July 1st is rough patch because it will open up those old wounds (Dumont/Grier/McKee/Briere/Drury.....etc...), but for the most part, the place is off warfooting and is pretty good natured, even amongst the few extremes.

I'm liking this part of your post quite a bit. Today is the perfect example. This place is a blast today, less venom and more off the wall randomness.

Blowhards are negative all the time for the sake of being negative.

I disagree. It's not about negativity, IMO. Differening opinions (negative or not) make good conversation. But it's about the assumption that one is always right in his opinions to the point where it becomes pointless in having that conversation. It becomes the same post over and over, which fuels the frustration and pettiness that I've seen since visiting these boards. It's like a hung jury. There is a better conversation to be had.

You are officially the Hunter S. Thompson of this board. The bolded part is especially acute.

I will echo Shrader and call BS on you not caring though. Saying you don't care and offering up all the rational reasons not to care isn't the same thing as actually not caring. (FWIW, this is kinda where I am with the Bills -- I still care about them, but I've decided not to blow time, money and aggravation on them until they as an organization start trying.)

As for the Sabres, I think you may be letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. The players aren't a terribly inspirational lot, but most of them outside of the top 6 forwards are pretty root-for-able. Miller, Myers, Rivet, Montador, Sekera, Grier, Kaleta, Kennedy, Ennis, McCormick -- these are all good guys that I imagine most would be happy to see succeed. No criminals or me-first guys among them.

I'd guess you don't have too much of a problem with Lindy. So you probably dislike DR, LQ and TG. This is perfectly valid, but I'd ask you how many ownership/management teams in the NHL are superior? Once you start eliminating the grifters, the inadequately capitalized, the cheapskates, the bozos and the here-today-gone-tomorrow types, there really aren't that many. Does the ownership/management team have to be as good as Detroit's for the team to earn your respect?

I agree that the players themselves are a much more likable lot. Of your list, i can't argue except a little on Kaleta. He's toned it down, and I like his spunk....just a little more growing up and he will be a neat player. I want a Barnaby, not a Claude Lemieux.

I understand how you feel about the Bills.....I've lost plenty of zip there as well. I think the Bills are trying to win, they just have bad talent evaluators making the calls. Brandon is a marketing guy, but he is not a spinner. He tries the typical marketing moves...but for the most part we see them for what it is. The NFL is 50x as powerful and valuable as the NHL....so it's hard for a aircraft carrier to make deceptive maneuvers. It just comes slowly at you with all it's glory. Either run, embrace it, but 3 card monte is not their style.

The Sabres on the other hand are more of a small business. They are sort of a mix between a private and public company....because the fanbase is the consumer, but also a stakeholder. Regier I have seen a million times in business. A stable company where he has no stake in and pulls a salary and bonus off of the stockholders. There is no accountability for him other than to not screw up. If he doesn't make any major moves....he can't get in trouble. If the stockholders get noisey after a bit...throw them a bone to calm them down for a few quarters so you can keep your job another year or two. Rinse, repeat. He is like putting all your assets in a CD at 1.5% He is not a bad person...but I have little respect for him as a manager. Sitting tight and hoping to get lucky is what my grandma does with her lottery ticket.

Quinn....I respect his ability to get things done. However, he will trash anything and everyone in his way in order to achieve his goals. You can run a business...make good money...and be an honest person. This is where the NFL and NHL differ. Quinn is the captain of this ship, but it's small and shifty. He is so used to playing politics and 3 card monte that he knows nothing else. I have no respect for him as a human being when it comes to his fiduciary responsibility to this city. Golisano obviously approves, and is part of the whole dog and pony show, (anyone else notice Steve Pidgeon in the Sabres' lockeroom after games?).

Ruff...god bless him. I think he is burned out more than anything. He has the ability as we have seen, but he is so upside down from dealing with the character on this team...I don't know what to think other than he should probably be Old Yeller'd for humanity sake.

Give me people who say what they mean and mean what they say. If they go down with the ship...so will I. That is all I ask.

Great thread.

All I know is that I grew up in a poor, small town, in a statistically poor family (not sure we realized it at the time), my dad had just gotten a management job after working in grocery store produce departments for years -- but still wasn't making much money -- Sabres tickets were almost impossible to get (we'd never laid eyes on such things, let alone possessed them), and he came home from work one day in April 1977 and asked me to get his glasses out of his overcoat pocket, and I reached in and there were two tickets, in the reds, for Game 4 of the Sabres-Flyers series at the Aud, and that's why WHEN the Buffalo Sabres win the Stanley Cup, I'm going to laugh, scream, vomit, urinate, cry, take a dump and pass out, in no particular order, and I don't care if the winning goal goes in off the corpse of Adolf Hitler.

Great thread.

All I know is that I grew up in a poor, small town, in a statistically poor family (not sure we realized it at the time), my dad had just gotten a management job after working in grocery store produce departments for years -- but still wasn't making much money -- Sabres tickets were almost impossible to get (we'd never laid eyes on such things, let alone possessed them), and he came home from work one day in April 1977 and asked me to get his glasses out of his overcoat pocket, and I reached in and there were two tickets, in the reds, for Game 4 of the Sabres-Flyers series at the Aud, and that's why WHEN the Buffalo Sabres win the Stanley Cup, I'm going to laugh, scream, vomit, urinate, cry, take a dump and pass out, in no particular order, and I don't care if the winning goal goes in off the corpse of Adolf Hitler.

Amen.

Blowhards are negative all the time for the sake of being negative.

I disagree. It's not about negativity, IMO. Differening opinions (negative or not) make good conversation. But it's about the assumption that one is always right in his opinions to the point where it becomes pointless in having that conversation. It becomes the same post over and over, which fuels the frustration and pettiness that I've seen since visiting these boards. It's like a hung jury. There is a better conversation to be had.

That's exactly what came to my mind. I'm right, you're wrong. There is no other possibility.

Great thread.

And all it took was Rob Niedermayer.

Just beautiful.

There is something about your dad taking you to the game that hooks you for life, innit?

As this off season goes, with every other off season for 40 years, this is a time to reflect, gripe, complain, draw hope from and anticipate next seasons campaign all rolled into one.

Being a fan of a sports team can have its ups and downs, being a fan of Buffalo sports teams has its own unique place, especially for those of us who have lived or currently live here. There is nothing like what has happened in Buffalo sports history.

Its a tough road to hoe, that I have no doubt.

But thats what makes us unique, when our sports team faulter, its us the fans that pick up the banner and continue forward.

There is something to be said Ghost of how you feel, but many of us know people that feel this way or have felt this way themselves.

Won't it be a glorious day when a parade is held through downtown for one of our beloved sports teams as champions? Ah, yes indeed, that will be a grand day for all of us......................If it happens in our lifetime! :blink:

I know for fact certain that when the day comes that one of my sports teams hits paydirt, I'll be skyhigh. I'm 390 miles from Buffalo and I will be at the parade!

I adopted the US Olympic team like they were my own. The same with the US World Cup Soccer match. Had those team achieved paydirt, the fan in me would have been estatic. But I reserve pure jublilation for the day my Sabres or my Bills pull through.

I was tempted to squash my NFL Sunday Ticket last week. I just couldn't do it. I'm as down on the Bills as I have ever been, but I'll be right there watching and hoping like I do every September that somehow, someway this year will be different.

I don't like the status quo my teams embrace each year. I yearn for the high profile signing. Am I going to stop being a fan because they follow a business model that I don't like, not hardly.

I always tell people that you're born into being a Buffalo sports fan. No one in their right mind would knowing choose it. My son was smart, he became a Pittsburgh fan. By age eight, his teams have won a Stanley Cup and a Superbowl. I'm still patiently waiting....

i may be on a different planet than ghost of dwight, but i am so very grateful for him. this thread is epic. i may just .pdf-factory this thing and stow it away on my backup hard drive.

I hope Rob Niedermayer reads this thread.

i am still laughing about this a minute or so later.

and that's why WHEN the Buffalo Sabres win the Stanley Cup, I'm going to laugh, scream, vomit, urinate, cry, take a dump and pass out, in no particular order, and I don't care if the winning goal goes in off the corpse of Adolf Hitler.

i love it.

i've said it before: this is the best online community going.

i've said it before: this is the best online community going.

And now the initial Ghost post has me wondering which posters would qualify as specific members of the family.

-the earlier mentioned uncle

-the little brother everyone picks on but you defend if someone else goes after them

-the high school drop out older brother who now works at wall mart

-the "special" cousin

-the sister who likes to get around (ok, maybe we'll leave that one off the list)

-the senile grandparent

And now the initial Ghost post has me wondering which posters would qualify as specific members of the family.

-the earlier mentioned uncle

-the little brother everyone picks on but you defend if someone else goes after them

-the high school drop out older brother who now works at wall mart

-the "special" cousin

-the sister who likes to get around (ok, maybe we'll leave that one off the list)

-the senile grandparent

I'll be the senile one. I just realized that that series I mentioned was in '78 -- and we had gone to our first game a few months earlier, with the Atlanta Flames in town.

Just beautiful.

There is something about your dad taking you to the game that hooks you for life, innit?

I think so. Wouldn't it be interesting if for most fans the passion isn't about Buffalo, the blue and the gold, the Aud, or Bert or Patty or Dom or Miller, but about a simple human connection. Could even be a connection with someone you took to their first game.

And if Rob Niedermayer does read this thread, I have some cliches for his up coming season:

Always Remember Rob,

No matter where you are, thats where you'll be

A rolling stone gathers no moss

A stitch in time saves nine

A chain is only as good as its weakest link

Don't teach your Grandma to suck eggs

Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise

Failing to plan is planning to fail

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread

and my personal favorite

Don't let the bastards grind you down

And if Rob Niedermayer does read this thread, I have some cliches for his up coming season:

Always Remember Rob,

No matter where you are, thats where you'll be

A rolling stone gathers no moss

A stitch in time saves nine

A chain is only as good as its weakest link

Don't teach your Grandma to suck eggs

Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise

Failing to plan is planning to fail

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread

and my personal favorite

Don't let the bastards grind you down

Nick Faldo to Greg Norman after the 96 Masters?

I'll be the senile one. I just realized that that series I mentioned was in '78 -- and we had gone to our first game a few months earlier, with the Atlanta Flames in town.

I'm still amazed that your parents didn't take you to a game until you were over 50 years old. You probably should have been taking them at that point.

I'm still amazed that your parents didn't take you to a game until you were over 50 years old. You probably should have been taking them at that point.

What you found in your father's pocket was surely much nicer than the surprise Ghost of DD found in his Uncle's pocket!

Edit: What PA found in his father's pocket was surely much nicer than the surprise Ghost of DD found in his Uncle's pocket.

Why I quoted Shrader I have no idea. Can't see through all these tears. This isn't what the tissues were supposed to be for after spinach's submission to PH Forum was mistakenly posted here. Sob... I love you guys :cry: :cry: :cry:

What you found in your father's pocket was surely much nicer than the surprise Ghost of DD found in his Uncle's pocket!

Edit: What PA found in his father's pocket was surely much nicer than the surprise Ghost of DD found in his Uncle's pocket.

Why I quoted Shrader I have no idea. Can't see through all these tears. This isn't what the tissues were supposed to be for after spinach's submission to PH Forum was mistakenly posted here. Sob... I love you guys :cry: :cry: :cry:

And yet you haven't shared that post with the entire board via private message yet. :doh:

I'll be linking this one to show the league what class this fanbase has.

Lifting the Cup = ###### and Pedophilia

Christ, you people suck.

Don't worry.....the only Cup lifting going on under this regieme would be classified as Pedophilia.

Wait.....scratch that. Connolly's almost 30 now. Darcy and Quinn can sleep well tonight. I think the statute of limitations is 5 years....or so I hear.

I'll be linking this one to show the league what class this fanbase has.

Lifting the Cup = ###### and Pedophilia

Christ, you people suck.

Wait, we still say "Pardon Me" when we ask for our Grey poo poo signings every off season.

Archived