Rob Niedermayer to Buffalo

spndnchz

"this team needs grit!" "this team is a bunch of young brats!" "there is no leadership!"

Buffalo signs a Neidermayer.. and nobody even cares? Granted he's not SCOTT, but this is an awesome signing in my mind.

Yes, agreed.

I heard That Neidermeyer was shot by his own men in Vietnam! :pirate:

That was the other one... Scott?

You guys won't be happy with anything.

Exactly. It's a quality signing. Maybe not a game changer, but a quality signing.

If one more person equates Rob Niedermayer with "leadership" I just may throw-up. Wrong Niedermayer. It's hilarious that term of service automatically equals leadership. I'm sure a few years from now some team will pick up Tim Connolly and celebrate his "veteran leadership." It's just as ridiculous as those that try to proclaim Rivet's and Grier's leadership. They were both here last year. Still had a ridiculous amount of team meetings. Coach still called out his team. As a bonus Miller called his teammates "Fragile little children." Wow! Rivet and Grier's leadership really was a factor :doh:

The core of this team, and by core I mean the core of the payroll, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly and Roy have proven to be immune to the effects of veteran leadership. The "core" problems of this team remain. Until the "core" is purged nothing will change.

If one more person equates Rob Niedermayer with "leadership" I just may throw-up. Wrong Niedermayer. It's hilarious that term of service automatically equals leadership. I'm sure a few years from now some team will pick up Tim Connolly and celebrate his "veteran leadership." It's just as ridiculous as those that try to proclaim Rivet's and Grier's leadership. They were both here last year. Still had a ridiculous amount of team meetings. Coach still called out his team. As a bonus Miller called his teammates "Fragile little children." Wow! Rivet and Grier's leadership really was a factor :doh:

The core of this team, and by core I mean the core of the payroll, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly and Roy have proven to be immune to the effects of veteran leadership. The "core" problems of this team remain. Until the "core" is purged nothing will change.

Well, you're not in the locker room -- you have no idea who's acting like a leader and who isn't. To be fair, neither do I, but anybody who walks into the room with a Stanley Cup to his name instantly earns my respect.

Getzlaf and Perry are both under 5.5 mil. Would Anahiem pay Bobby Ryan more than those players?

They have the cap space according to capgeek.com, but would they shell out 6.5 million for 4 seasons for this guy?

I don't see why they wouldn't, they seem like the type of players you work to keep and build your franchise around. Like the Sabres with Vanek, Pominville, and Connolly :thumbsup:

I agree that it makes sense to pay Bobby Ryan whatever it takes (within reason) to keep their "core" together, but that won't happen here. They won't pay Ryan more than Getzlaf and Perry, which is one of the main hang-ups between the two sides. As I understand it, Ryan earlier agreed that he wouldn't take more money than them, but now has changed his mind, likely realizing he's worth more on the FA market right now, even as a RFA. That hasn't sat well with Ducks management, who see Ryan as, basically, a liar. They even called him out in the press on the issue.

Now what they would do in the face of an offer sheet from another team, that's the $64,000 question, but it would be interesting to see. They're either setting the stage for other teams to swoop in with an offer, in which case they'd have to match, but would save their pride vis-a-vis Getzlaf and Perry. Or they would let Ryan walk, reap the draft picks, and be done with what they consider an overpriced prima donna. They could also be ripe for a trade for Ryan's rights. Bottom line is, unless this is an act of mischievous deviltry on Bob Murray's part (quite possible), an aggressive GM could work something out here if he were so inclined.

Well, you're not in the locker room -- you have no idea who's acting like a leader and who isn't. To be fair, neither do I, but anybody who walks into the room with a Stanley Cup to his name instantly earns my respect.

Which would be great if you name was Vanek, Pomminstein, Connolly or Roy.

No one needs to be in the locker room. That lack of leadership is clearly apparent to all on the ice night after night.

"this team needs grit!" "this team is a bunch of young brats!" "there is no leadership!"

Buffalo signs a Neidermayer.. and nobody even cares? Granted he's not SCOTT, but this is an awesome signing in my mind.

Awesome 5+ years ago maybe.

He is 35 and had less then 25 points last year in around 70 games.

Face it, this is a depth move for some veteran leadership, a Teppo type move of a few years ago.

Rob is at the very end of his career and has little left in him other then experience/leadership

Its not a bad signing, but not an awesome one thats going to improve this team on the ice much

Awesome 5+ years ago maybe.

He is 35 and had less then 25 points last year in around 70 games.

Face it, this is a depth move for some veteran leadership, a Teppo type move of a few years ago.

Rob is at the very end of his career and has little left in him other then experience/leadership

Its not a bad signing, but not an awesome one thats going to improve this team on the ice much

I think it's a huge improvement over Mair or Ellis. It's hard to say who he'll actually replace until we move some players, but if ur looking at Mair vs Neidermayer, PLEASE don't try telling me you'd take Mair.

I agree that it makes sense to pay Bobby Ryan whatever it takes (within reason) to keep their "core" together, but that won't happen here. They won't pay Ryan more than Getzlaf and Perry, which is one of the main hang-ups between the two sides. As I understand it, Ryan earlier agreed that he wouldn't take more money than them, but now has changed his mind, likely realizing he's worth more on the FA market right now, even as a RFA. That hasn't sat well with Ducks management, who see Ryan as, basically, a liar. They even called him out in the press on the issue.

Now what they would do in the face of an offer sheet from another team, that's the $64,000 question, but it would be interesting to see. They're either setting the stage for other teams to swoop in with an offer, in which case they'd have to match, but would save their pride vis-a-vis Getzlaf and Perry. Or they would let Ryan walk, reap the draft picks, and be done with what they consider an overpriced prima donna. They could also be ripe for a trade for Ryan's rights. Bottom line is, unless this is an act of mischievous deviltry on Bob Murray's part (quite possible), an aggressive GM could work something out here if he were so inclined.

The main reason they won't pay him more than Getzlaf or Perry is that they don't have to. The only way the Ducks would be forced into making that move is in the case of an offer sheet, which based on his value they'd probably have to match. Otherwise at some point Ryan will have to accept the qualifier or hold out.

...anybody who walks into the room with a Stanley Cup to his name instantly earns my respect.

That combined with his on-ice responsibility, and even his late-career maturity, makes him worthy of locker room respect. He wore the "A" (it rotated) on a Ducks team with plenty of leaders that won the Cup, so that's pretty good IMO. How it actually goes in the locker room is beyond me as well, but I'm betting he's come a long way since his Panther days, when he was the antithesis of a leader.

On ice, the thing I've always liked about RN is his ability along the boards. He rarely loses a battle for the puck along the boards and is fantastic at tying it up on the PK. I'm guessing he'll team up with Grier on the "checking line," though that does little for our lack of impact scoring. As we all seem to be hoping, this had better be a table-setter for a more substantial, offensively focused, move by DR.

That combined with his on-ice responsibility, and even his late-career maturity, makes him worthy of locker room respect. He wore the "A" (it rotated) on a Ducks team with plenty of leaders that won the Cup, so that's pretty good IMO. How it actually goes in the locker room is beyond me as well, but I'm betting he's come a long way since his Panther days, when he was the antithesis of a leader.

On ice, the thing I've always liked about RN is his ability along the boards. He rarely loses a battle for the puck along the boards and is fantastic at tying it up on the PK. I'm guessing he'll team up with Grier on the "checking line," though that does little for our lack of impact scoring. As we all seem to be hoping, this had better be a table-setter for a more substantial, offensively focused, move by DR.

Do you know who care less about all you posted than I do? "The Core!" You have a Teflon core in Vanek, Pomminstein, Connolly and Roy. You can bring in all the supposed "leadership" you want, unless the most important players in the room are listening nothing is going to change.

Do you know who care less about all you posted than I do? "The Core!" You have a Teflon core in Vanek, Pomminstein, Connolly and Roy. You can bring in all the supposed "leadership" you want, unless the most important players in the room are listening nothing is going to change.

How do you know that? The team hasn't had a real leader since Chris and Danny left, and oh-- that happens to be the year(s) when all of these players performed their best. If you're trying to say that Rivet was really a leader then lol, but Neidermayer is a different story. His game speaks volumes.

How do you know that? The team hasn't had a real leader since Chris and Danny left, and oh-- that happens to be the year(s) when all of these players performed their best. If you're trying to say that Rivet was really a leader then lol, but Neidermayer is a different story. His game speaks volumes.

Wrong Neidermayer. You do realize this is not Scott that played for the Devils all those years? :doh:

The Chris and Danny era? That was before all these players signed their big money contracts.

Welcome to the board. 2 good posts in this thread. Keep them coming!

Vanek had a crappy regular season but came to life in the playoffs. The other 3 were disgraceful in the playoffs but pretty good in the regular season. I don't think they should trade Vanek under almost any circumstances, and I don't think Pominville's contract is tradeable. That leaves the 2 disappearing centers. I agree that one of them should be traded this summer, but only in a trade that nets a top 6 forward. The Sabres don't have enough offense to just dump one of those 2 guys without getting some back.

It's wasn't an either/or question. One thing has nothing to do with other. Niedermayer is a good signing, regardless of who may or may not be listening. If the guys who need to be listening aren't, then it's not Niedermayer's (or Rivet's or Miller's...) fault or responsibility. If they're a "teflon core," then get rid of 'em. There's another thread on that score.

Wrong Neidermayer. You do realize this is not Scott that played for the Devils all those years? :doh:

The Chris and Danny era? That was before all these players signed their big money contracts.

Yes dude, you can stop with "HAHA U MUST BE THINKING OF THE WRONG NEIDERMAYER!!" ######. Anybody who DIDNT know that certainly does by now. And yes, I'm talking about ROB NEIDERMAYER. A solid two-way forward who played a third/fourth line role with New Jersey LAST YEAR and with Anaheim the years prior (including when they won they cup), and registered 10 goals last year (15 the year before).

I appreciate that! To think I used to spend all my time working and stuff. No more!

Yes, welcome aboard.

As for your posts, very articulated indeed.

But as for me, I'd spend the 4 first round draft picks and offer Ryan a 6.5 million dollar contract.

After watching Darcy draft for 12 seasons, its a win/win for me as a fan. But, alas, I've watched all 40 years of this team.

I would give what it takes to put Bobby Ryan on the RW with Roy centering and Vanek on the LW.

Come on Darcy, lets roll the dice, "Do you feel lucky punk? Well do ya?"

Yes dude, you can stop with "HAHA U MUST BE THINKING OF THE WRONG NEIDERMAYER!!" ######. Anybody who DIDNT know that certainly does by now. And yes, I'm talking about ROB NEIDERMAYER. A solid two-way forward who played a third/fourth line role with New Jersey LAST YEAR and with Anaheim the years prior (including when they won they cup), and registered 10 goals last year (15 the year before).

Great! You recognize who the Sabres signed. Now can we get down to admitting this is just another guy. Great, he is better than Adam Mair or Matt Ellis. He doesn't improve the Sabres chances at all. You don't build a championship team from the fourth line up.

Great! You recognize who the Sabres signed. Now can we get down to admitting this is just another guy. Great, he is better than Adam Mair or Matt Ellis. He doesn't improve the Sabres chances at all. You don't build a championship team from the fourth line up.

So he's a better player than Mair and Ellis (who were both on the team last year) but adding him and subtracting them doesnt improve the team at all?

So he's a better player than Mair and Ellis (who were both on the team last year) but adding him and subtracting them doesnt improve the team at all?

"At all" does not equal enough! The improvement is marginal.

If this move was followed by a couple of big impact moves, then yes it is a good move. As part of a entire off-season? It is a side dish, not a main course.

Yes, welcome aboard.

As for your posts, very articulated indeed.

But as for me, I'd spend the 4 first round draft picks and offer Ryan a 6.5 million dollar contract.

After watching Darcy draft for 12 seasons, its a win/win for me as a fan. But, alas, I've watched all 40 years of this team.

I would give what it takes to put Bobby Ryan on the RW with Roy centering and Vanek on the LW.

Come on Darcy, lets roll the dice, "Do you feel lucky punk? Well do ya?"

The only possibility of getting him would be to offer a maximin deal (20% of the cap). About $10 million per. He's a nice player but not that nice.

The only possibility of getting him would be to offer a maximin deal (20% of the cap). About $10 million per. He's a nice player but not that nice.

He's certainly worth more than the $7 mil Vanek makes. I'd give him $8 mil per, even if it's just a one year deal.

He's certainly worth more than the $7 mil Vanek makes. I'd give him $8 mil per, even if it's just a one year deal.

He wouldn't accept that. Maybe 5 years $40 million but the Sabres aren't offering that and the Duck would match regardless.

Archived