Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

The other thing was that skating Kennedy at center didn't work so lets face it. So they had a small left wing on the 4th line (behide Ennis Vanek Hecht) which isnt the best thing. I like Kennedy though. But I cant undersatnd when people who hated him last week are angry.

Still looking for this large unheard faction of fans...

It feels worse to me than July 1, 2007.

hyperbole.

Is there any doubt this cement's Buffalo as the very worst place to play in the NHL?

meh. the sabres are bottom-third of that pecking order irrespective of this situation. the fact that the sabres weren't willing to pay what every other team in the league wasn't willing to pay for a young grinder with some upside isn't changing the landscape much.

It is what it is.

QFT - which, i submit, is not as bad as you're making it out to be. (don't get me wrong, it's pretty bad -- just not an historically bad day in the franchise's history.)

It comes down to Ennis vs. Kennedy.
Are you really buying that? Isn't this the franchise that develops young players? Aren't both Ennis and Kennedy supposed to step up in the next two to three years and be the next Core?

i can accept darcy looking at the lineup and saying "i drafted a lot of players based on what i was seeing immediately post-lockout - times have changed - i can only have so many guys who go 5'9" and 170 soaking wet" and making a difficult choice as between his wee men.

my problem is that i think he chose poorly. as many of you know, i'm a huge bc fan, but i don't think that releasing kennedy and keeping gerbe is the right call.

when fans are willing and able to purchase more expensive tickets things might change. You want $20 value tickets you get internal caps. Team isnt gonna run in the red. Im as frustratetd as anyone on this board, but if kennedy was a good deal someone would have grabbed him.

Regardless of how we feel, he was a super skinny F who scored 10 goals. Yes hes from buffalo and play with grit but this team doesnt need more small gritty forwards.

i am far closer to feeling this way than i am to feeling the way PA feels.

Has anyone looked to see how many forwards and d are signed in Portland? Could give an idea of how many roster spots are really open.

I'm winging it a little...

Forwards...Tropp, Schutz, Byron, Whitmore, Adam, Lagace, Turnbull

Defensemen...Scheistel, Brennan, Biega, Crawford, Persson, Weber, Gragnani

Goalie...Enroth

I think Mancari is unsigned, Gogulla sucked his thumb all the way back to Germany, JP Lamoureaux signed elsewhere in the AHL, Kostka & Generous were not offered contracts and most of the AHL vets from last year(Wanvig, Cowan, Rank & Larsen) have moved on.

If I am close to being correct, they have some work to do in order to fill out the forward ranks.

I'm winging it a little...

Forwards...Tropp, Schutz, Byron, Whitmore, Adam, Lagace, Turnbull

Defensemen...Scheistel, Brennan, Biega, Crawford, Persson, Weber, Gragnani

Goalie...Enroth

I think Mancari is unsigned, Gogulla sucked his thumb all the way back to Germany, JP Lamoureaux signed elsewhere in the AHL, Kostka & Generous were not offered contracts and most of the AHL vets from last year(Wanvig, Cowan, Rank & Larsen) have moved on.

If I am close to being correct, they have some work to do in order to fill out the forward ranks.

There's the recent wave of veteran AHL signings too. I'm not really sure who plays where.

Still looking for this large unheard faction of fans...

Seriously? You mean the group of drum beaters who only care about "size", "grit", and fighting? The ones who complain incessantly about how small and soft this team is?

Dude... I'm pretty sure you sang that tune a few times.

Nice job of DR bringing up the Chicago Niemi situation not once, but TWICE. Good comparison....NOT.

Roy, Vanek, Stafford, Connolly, Hecht, Neidermeyer, Pominville, Kaleta, Grier, Gaustad, Ennis, Gerbe & McCormick. Kennedy is not better than Gerbe and McCormick?

They have my season ticket money...shame on me. :angry:

Other than Connolly, I don't hate that line-up. It's not going to win a Cup but it's not terrible.

Make no mistake: I'm not happy with the decision. I can see the logic of it, but I'm not happy with it.

And even though I'm unhappy with it, the point has been made above, and on the airwaves, that 29 other teams passed on him. It's not just the Sabres.

Especially if Tim really did truly want to stay a Sabre, and I see no reason to doubt that he did; his agent did him a horrible disservice. From what I've been reading here and hearing on GR, the 2 sides were "very close" to a deal at the time of the hearing. If they were truly close to having a deal, the agent should have considered what being a Sabre meant to Tim.

While I believe Kennedy when he said the 1st he heard that the Sabres could waive him if he won the arbitration was when he was signing the deal; I find it almost unfathomable to believe that it was the 1st time the agent heard that. Unfortunately, it looks like he thought the Sabres were full of squat when they told him during the negotiations. Excellent example of how NOT to read the guy across the table from you correctly, Allain. :thumbdown:

It'll be interesting to see how long Tim keeps Roy as his agent.

Seriously? You mean the group of drum beaters who only care about "size", "grit", and fighting? The ones who complain incessantly about how small and soft this team is?

Dude... I'm pretty sure you sang that tune a few times.

I have sang that tune and will continue to sing it but I wouldn't have included Kennedy in that bunch. He might not Be huge but he used his body and played with tenacity. Two things I don't see often enough out of certain players.

Other than Connolly, I don't hate that line-up. It's not going to win a Cup but it's not terrible.

I think I agree with you. But it doesn't make the Kennedy decision any less ridiculous. I can see it now... Sabres "piss us all off" in 2010-2011. They dump Connolly, Stafford, and others in June/July 2011. Tim Kennedy is a "nice little player" out there whom would like to play for the Sabres in 2011-2012. The teams response? Sign some veteran bonehead with no upside for $2M a year to "pacify the fans".

Sorry, but I'm not going to get over this Kennedy decision for a LONG time... not because Kennedy is worth $1M, but because it has exposed Sabres management of having absolutely NO idea what they're doing. I really didn't want to believe it before now. Do you really still think "Lindy is the problem" after watching this debacle?

That's a sport bike, not a chopper. And he appears to be on a track, meaning that rather than being "dressed all in black" he is wearing the required full leather safety suit, you know, in case he hits the pavement at 150+.

It appears to be more of a sport cruiser, which is why I edited my post. :thumbsup:

I think I agree with you. But it doesn't make the Kennedy decision any less ridiculous. I can see it now... Sabres "piss us all off" in 2010-2011. They dump Connolly, Stafford, and others in June/July 2011. Tim Kennedy is a "nice little player" out there whom would like to play for the Sabres in 2011-2012. The teams response? Sign some veteran bonehead with no upside for $2M a year to "pacify the fans".

Sorry, but I'm not going to get over this Kennedy decision for a LONG time... not because Kennedy is worth $1M, but because it has exposed Sabres management of having absolutely NO idea what they're doing. I really didn't want to believe it before now. Do you really still think "Lindy is the problem" after watching this debacle?

You don't have to be happy with what just happened, but you really might want to consider getting a handle on reality here. Your response is so far over the top you would think we waived Tyler Myers and not a small, career 3rd line player. The fact that not a single NHL team claimed this prize has not seemed to temper your response. The fact that not a single NHL team wished to trade for this prize has also not tempered your response.

Ranting doesn't change the situation. We really are still talking about a very small, 3rd line player who should got an arbitration award that 30 teams summarily rejected. OTOH, if you want to run around like your fire is on fire - then by all means do so. I'm sure I'm not the only one getting a chuckle out of it.

I don't get it. I can agree that it was handled poorly but who are we talking about here. Tim Kennedy??

You don't have to be happy with what just happened, but you really might want to consider getting a handle on reality here. Your response is so far over the top you would think we waived Tyler Myers and not a small, career 3rd line player. The fact that not a single NHL team claimed this prize has not seemed to temper your response. The fact that not a single NHL team wished to trade for this prize has also not tempered your response.

Ranting doesn't change the situation. We really are still talking about a very small, 3rd line player who should got an arbitration award that 30 teams summarily rejected. OTOH, if you want to run around like your fire is on fire - then by all means do so. I'm sure I'm not the only one getting a chuckle out of it.

To be replaced with an even smaller one.

I don't get it. I can agree that it was handled poorly but who are we talking about here. Tim Kennedy??

I think the disgust comes mostly from how dirty this whole situation feels. Letting Tim go probably makes sense, but the execution of the process just feels...wrong.

You're missing my point ENTIRELY. I've said it so many times I'm not going to bother to detail it again. To summarize, IT'S NOT ABOUT KENNEDY. I have agreed numerous times that the fact no NHL team claimed him illustrates this. Can't you see that a different standard is being applied to Kennedy than the rest of the team? Not that they're doing it on purpose... they clearly don't have that much intelligence.

OTOH, if you want to run around like your fire is on fire - then by all means do so. I'm sure I'm not the only one getting a chuckle out of it.

I did get a chuckle out of that!

And thank you That Auld Smell for challenging: "It feels worse to me than July 1, 2007."

That sure is hyperbole

I did get a chuckle out of that!

And thank you That Auld Smell for challenging: "It feels worse to me than July 1, 2007." Extreme hyperbole

Am I the only one (along with PA) that sees what's happening here??? IT'S NOT ABOUT KENNEDY. The Sabres just proved today beyond a shadow of a doubt that their management team has no clue what they're doing... and all we're getting from a lot of you is "all this over a 3rd or 4th line forward?". NO, IT'S NOT. I don't know how else to say it.

This is how I feel about the waiver situation. Everyone up in arms about this one. Not really sure why. This is nothing like 7/1/2007 PA you are being preposterous.

Rookies don't deserve to get their salary arbitrated.

As far as Tim taking the Sabres to arbitration he and his agent decided that what they want. DR played hardball they lost. If he really wanted to be a Sabre he would have taken the highest figure the Sabres offered and been one. He played with fire got burned.

Archived