Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

Goal is to not win the Cup? Makes no sense, Swamp, and you usually do. If the goal is to not win it, well, they could have sucked harder in three of the last five years.

I knew that was going to come off bad. What I meant is that their goal IS NOT to win the Cup, their goal is to remain economically viable. Unfortunately, they believe these two things to be mutually exclusive and their decisions show this.

Anyway, more to the point... how does this get the Sabres closer to their stated goal -- repeated today by Darcy -- of winning a Cup?

Haha, did he really say that? He usually sticks to safer terms like "staying competitive."

The Sabres aren't trying to win the Stanley Cup. I mean, they're "trying" in the sense that they're putting a hockey team on the ice to play the other NHL teams, but they aren't desperate to win like other teams. When is the last time they made a bold move to help themselves? What, the Drury trade? Or signed a big player and remake themselves that way? Nah, let's just stay "competitive" and hope it all works out, right?

Look, the Sabres have NO PLAN to win the Stanley Cup. Regier and Quinn have no idea what to do to put a team together to win a championship. Last year was just a happy accident that happened because Tyler Myers was way better than anyone ever anticipated.

And, at this point, it's time to question their basic competence when it comes to all aspects of running a hockey team. They were completely blindsided by how free agency would work in 2007 and were horribly burned by it. This year Regier admits he couldn't bring in the players they were targeting and then gets blindsided by the arbitration process and decides they can't keep Tim Kennedy over $200,000. (This, after three straight years of trading draft picks at the trade deadline for rental players who aren't as good as Tim Kennedy.) Hell, go back to 2006: they did a head fake towards going back to the old blue and gold and then inexplicably came up with the Banana Slug. There is literally not one thing that they can't F up.

Yeah. It's tough to get two people to agree on anything in 24 hours, in my experience. You think thirty can do it?

To: rolodex@realgm.com

As some of you may be aware, a 24 year old rookie took the Sabre organization to arbitration. While we were willing to give Mr. Kennedy a fair price, the arbitrator has set an outrageous precident by awarding an ungodly amount of money to a latecomer journeyman to the NHL. We feel as if even thinking about signing this contract is a dangerous idea, and as of 12 noon, Mr Kennedy will be available on waivers for the rest of the league. I will now turn my attention to dealing with other potential players who act in good faith.

Best of luck in your summer dealings.

Sincerely,

Darcy

PS...if you happen to browse Craigslist, the '96 Astrovan with 21,000 miles on it is mine. I will accept Canadian at par for the entire $1800 transaction.

As some of you may be aware, a 24 year old rookie took the Sabre organization to arbitration. While we were willing to give Mr. Kennedy a fair price, the arbitrator has set an outrageous precident by awarding an ungodly amount of money to a latecomer journeyman to the NHL. We feel as if even thinking about signing this contract is a dangerous idea, and as of 12 noon, Mr Kennedy will be available on waivers for the rest of the league. I will now turn my attention to dealing with other potential players who act in good faith.

Sincerely,

Darcy

PS...if you happen to browse Craigslist, the '96 Astrovan with 21,000 miles on it is mine. I will accept Canadian at par for the entire $1800 transaction.

The Coors Light Post of the Week!

New to the debate having just seen the news in the US Today this AM. I don't know if it's agent, player, coach, GM, owner or others fault but this move saddens me. Clearly he played with heart. 1M didn't seem to me at the time to be an outrageous reward. I'm confused by this move and what message it sends. The Sabres don't like arbitration unless they initiate it.

Sincerely,

Darcy

No way. The league is too cut-throat.

Good luck on the Astrovan, though.

New to the debate having just seen the news in the US Today this AM. I don't know if it's agent, player, coach, GM, owner or others fault but this move saddens me. Clearly he played with heart. 1M didn't seem to me at the time to be an outrageous reward. I'm confused by this move and what message it sends. The Sabres don't like arbitration unless they initiate it.

After the presser, I really don't believe that this move had THAT much to do with the arbitrator's decision, or sending any kind of message. I don't think Regier necessarily disagreed with the decision.. I mean he did, but it wasn't so much "oh man, there's no way we're going to pay you that much!" Tim was qualified before the loss of Lydman and Tallinder, and because the arbitration award ended up being higher than Regier had anticipated -- high enough that gave the Sabres' FO the option of a buyout -- it really made sense to exercise that option and use the money and roster spot elsewhere (which basically ended up being Morrisonn). All things considered, I'd rather move Kennedy to have Ennis on the roster than some other people. Niedermayer will fill Kennedy's third line role and may prove to be even better at it.

The thing that burns me is in Tims short time on the Sabres he was a heart and soul kind of player that gave it every shift. Aren't those the kind of players this team is in need of? Regier has all this dead weight in the top 6 that aren't playing for their ice but rather are comfortable that they don't have to play for ice,they're guaranteed ice time, While guys that definately play for what they get are let go. Someone will get a hard working young player that now has something to prove and he'll develope into a good player in this league. We saw that potential last season.

The thing that burns me is in Tims short time on the Sabres he was a heart and soul kind of player that gave it every shift. Aren't those the kind of players this team is in need of? Regier has all this dead weight in the top 6 that aren't playing for their ice but rather are comfortable that they don't have to play for ice,they're guaranteed ice time, While guys that definately play for what they get are let go. Someone will get a hard working young player that now has something to prove and he'll develope into a good player in this league. We saw that potential last season.

I agree. He certainly gave it his all. I hope he finds success wherever he ends up. That said, we aren't losing a superstar. I'd probably be more pissed if Ennis had to play in the AHL this year than I am about Kennedy leaving the team. I was really angry about it yesterday, but mostly because all signs pointed to it being a result of Darcy being unhappy with the award, or with Kennedy going to arbitration to begin with. I'm still sad to see him go, but after hearing about the different levels of arbitration awards (being able to buy out, being able to walk away, or being able to do neither) it makes more sense. He didn't really have that option with other players -- buying out Stafford or Connolly would cost the team much more, I guess.

No way. The league is too cut-throat.

Good luck on the Astrovan, though.

5 GMs probably never heard of him

7 don't care

10 would look at the situation but given the price and circumstances, don't look twice

5 are interested in him as a player, but the quality of player isn't high enough to worry about jumping at considering the ripple effect it would cause

2 probably seriously thought about it, but figured they can wait a week or two, then get him for 2 years $1.6 million anyway withouting looking like a scab

1 is Uncle Darcy

My guess is that a usual suspect who picks off Buffalo on a regular basis will sign Kennedy by August 16th. Vancouver, maybe Boston or Florida

Tell me if this makes sense...

Your hoarhouse math ignores this:

Year 1 = 1 million

Year 2 = 1 million x 110% if he is qualifyed I think

vs.

Year 1 = 160,000 penalty

Year 2 = 160,000 penalty

So 2.1 mil over two years vs. 333,000 buyouts

1.7 mil not just 200,000.

But maybe they thought they like Gerbe on a 2 way deal more then Kennedy's on a 1 way deal.

5 GMs probably never heard of him

7 don't care

10 would look at the situation but given the price and circumstances, don't look twice

5 are interested in him as a player, but the quality of player isn't high enough to worry about jumping at considering the ripple effect it would cause

2 probably seriously thought about it, but figured they can wait a week or two, then get him for 2 years $1.6 million anyway withouting looking like a scab

1 is Uncle Darcy

Now that is a much more plausible explanation than 30 execs colluding in a 24-hour period.

Your hoarhouse math ignores this:

Year 1 = 1 million

Year 2 = 1 million x 110% if he is qualifyed I think

vs.

Year 1 = 160,000 penalty

Year 2 = 160,000 penalty

So 2.1 mil over two years vs. 333,000 buyouts

1.7 mil not just 200,000.

But maybe they thought they like Gerbe on a 2 way deal more then Kennedy's on a 1 way deal.

That would make a great band name... Whorehouse Math

I'm not choked up about him leaving. It's just another example of Darcy dotting i's and crossing t's so maticulously on little stupid things.....while the big picture gets lost. This Kennedy thing has been the biggest drawn out story of the offseason....and that is sad.

So what I have learned is that although season tickets were "capped" and the entire season is almost sold out, the Sabres are operating on a shoestring budget where we can expect to be $6 mil under the cap....and for all intents and purposes replace Tallinder, Lydman, Kennedy, Mair, Ellis with Leopold, The Shoane, Neidermeyer, Conboy, and Gerbe. This after a season where Miller was nearly the MVP, Connolly played a full season, yet they were still bounced in the first round.

Doesn't take much time to figure out the Sabres MO once again.

That would make a great band name... Whorehouse Math

I'm not choked up about him leaving. It's just another example of Darcy dotting i's and crossing t's so maticulously on little stupid things.....while the big picture gets lost. This Kennedy thing has been the biggest drawn out story of the offseason....and that is sad.

So what I have learned is that although season tickets were "capped" and the entire season is almost sold out, the Sabres are operating on a shoestring budget where we can expect to be $6 mil under the cap....and for all intents and purposes replace Tallinder, Lydman, Kennedy, Mair, Ellis with Leopold, The Shoane, Neidermeyer, Conboy, and Gerbe. This after a season where Miller was nearly the MVP, Connolly played a full season, yet they were still bounced in the first round.

Doesn't take much time to figure out the Sabres MO once again.

I will agree with you on this point!

But I prefer hoarhouse math.

The coyoyes have sold 1800 season tickets to date and they will operate under a bigger budget than the sabres who are helping to subsidize Bettmens pet project in the coyotes. The people of the desert could care less but they will most likely have a higher internal cap than that of the sabres who have an absolutely rabid fanbase. The people of Buffalo are being taken for a ride.

This year Regier admits he couldn't bring in the players they were targeting and then gets blindsided by the arbitration process and decides they can't keep Tim Kennedy over $200,000.

It doesn't really matter to me if people like or dislike this move. Everyone has an opinion. However, I'll readily admit to being irritated to no end when people just make stuff up.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that he got blindsided? What possible evidence do you have to support such a conclusion? Darcy warned TK (or at least his agent) of the consequences of an award that was beyond their willingness to pay. How is that being blindsided?

In fact, the fans were blindsided. Tim Kennedy was blindsided. Darcy is probably the only one who WASN'T in this process.

It doesn't really matter to me if people like or dislike this move. Everyone has an opinion. However, I'll readily admit to being irritated to no end when people just make stuff up.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that he got blindsided? What possible evidence do you have to support such a conclusion? Darcy warned TK (or at least his agent) of the consequences of an award that was beyond their willingness to pay. How is that being blindsided?

In fact, the fans were blindsided. Tim Kennedy was blindsided. Darcy is probably the only one who WASN'T in this process.

"I thought the worst was that I would be traded," Kennedy said Tuesday. "I never thought I would be bought out. I didn't even think it was possible. It's the first time it happened in the history of the league. It never crossed my mind."

It might not be blindsiding, but it's pretty close.

So he planned out the entire offseason so that when it came time to re-sign Tim Kennedy, they absolutely-positively could NOT pay more than $800,000.....for one year.....even though they're under the salary cap. They planned for this? This is all part of the plan?

I don't think letting Kennedy go was ever part of the plan. Because there is no plan. The Sabres are a team that scrambles to do *something* every year but rarely does anything of note. After declaring that they wanted to make changes after the first round implosion, they made a few cosmetic changes and now we're heading into the new season with basically the same team we had last year (and the two years before that).

They almost had the guy signed. So they wanted him. But then they couldn't sign him. Then he went to arbitration. Then he cost more than they wanted to pay. Then they decided they had no place for him on the team. So was he a part of the future or not? Regier and Quinn never miss a chance to tell us about their young players who are improving. Surely Kennedy was part of that, wasn't he?

If we've learned anything over the past five years, it's that the Sabres are an incompetent franchise. They don't know who they're building around, they don't know what type of team they're trying to build, and they don't know which players they need to acquire to build that team.

So he planned out the entire offseason so that when it came time to re-sign Tim Kennedy, they absolutely-positively could NOT pay more than $800,000.....for one year.....even though they're under the salary cap. They planned for this? This is all part of the plan?

I don't think letting Kennedy go was ever part of the plan. Because there is no plan. The Sabres are a team that scrambles to do *something* every year but rarely does anything of note. After declaring that they wanted to make changes after the first round implosion, they made a few cosmetic changes and now we're heading into the new season with basically the same team we had last year (and the two years before that).

They almost had the guy signed. So they wanted him. But then they couldn't sign him. Then he went to arbitration. Then he cost more than they wanted to pay. Then they decided they had no place for him on the team. So was he a part of the future or not? Regier and Quinn never miss a chance to tell us about their young players who are improving. Surely Kennedy was part of that, wasn't he?

If we've learned anything over the past five years, it's that the Sabres are an incompetent franchise. They don't know who they're building around, they don't know what type of team they're trying to build, and they don't know which players they need to acquire to build that team.

Haha, spot on.

Archived