Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

This is true, but at the same time, why would the writer just make that up? Unless he just mentioned the two teams that probably need a player like him the most to make himself sound credible (eklund style). My guess is Zherdev contacted Buffalo and was told "We do not have room on our roster for another scoring forward, please move on and sign with a real contender."

It wasn't a writer. It came from either his Russian club or his agent. Either way, it was a source directly connected to him that stood to gain from a sudden spark of interest either in the NHL or KHL.

edit: And these comments in this thread wondering why the Sabres couldn't match a one year deal. I know it's a crazy thought, but why don't we see the terms of the deal before saying that.

Jeez. They aren't really going to let Niedermayer be the only change to the forwards, are they?

Coldly and rationally, I will say that Zherdev was a lot closer to the TC/Roy/Pommer no-show-in-the-playoff mold than to the kind of guy the Sabres really need, but still. He would've been an upgrade over Stafford and maybe, at 25, could have stepped up the clutch play factor.

Give me someone!

According to Darcy's comment yesterday, he feels that they have enough offense. Thus it looks as if he doesn't plan on adding any. (The acquisition of Rob Niedermayer made him say that???)

They could also use a good D-man, since Rivet will be on the shelf for a couple of months from the start of the season. But Darcy probably figures his "D" is solid too...after all, he got Leopold, right?

According to Darcy's comment yesterday, he feels that they have enough offense. Thus it looks as if he doesn't plan on adding any. (The acquisition of Rob Niedermayer made him say that???)

They could also use a good D-man, since Rivet will be on the shelf for a couple of months from the start of the season. But Darcy probably figures his "D" is solid too...after all, he got Leopold, right?

I don't really put much stock into comments like that at this stage of the offseason. He's not going to say anything that might hurt his negotiating posture in anything that might come up.

Rivet will be ready by the opener.

It wasn't a writer. It came from either his Russian club or his agent. Either way, it was a source directly connected to him that stood to gain from a sudden spark of interest either in the NHL or KHL.

edit: And these comments in this thread wondering why the Sabres couldn't match a one year deal. I know it's a crazy thought, but why don't we see the terms of the deal before saying that.

Toward the first comment, regardless of whether the Sabres were actively dealing with Zherdev is the secondary point. It's the simple fact that they don't appear to be doing anything proactive in terms of trying to sign a legit scoring forward. If the Sabres were interested, they were outmaneuvered. If they weren't interested, then why weren't they at least interested in a good offensive player? The answer to our scoring dreams? No, but it was an option. They don't seem to be exploring scoring options right now.

As to the second comment, you missed my point. And mind you, my point was based on my initial caveat, "assuming the reports are true..." So assuming they were true, and Zherdev was bucking for a 4-year deal and the Sabres were negotiating with him, then just about any 4-year deal trumps a 1-year deal. If the Flyers offered him 5mil for 1 year, even a lousy 2mil for 4 years is the better long-term deal for Zherdev. And if you're in negotiations, you can at the very least use it as leverage, but there's no way you lose him to another team's 1-year offer. Zherdev is NOT a Hossa all-world offensive talent. If his agent is telling him to return to the NHL with a 1-year deal so that you can strut your stuff and earn a mega contract next year, that's a HUGE risk, even with the KHL there as a safety net. Taking a 4-year deal is much better, even if the yearly amount is much less. But with all that said, considering how it unfolded and based on the outcome, I'm in agreement that it's likely the Sabres weren't even in the running on this one. I'd be curious to hear an insider's take.

My guess is Zherdev contacted Buffalo and was told "We do not have room on our roster for another scoring forward, please move on and sign with a real contender."

That's outstanding! The scary thing is, the first part may actually be close to the truth. Yikes!

Toward the first comment, regardless of whether the Sabres were actively dealing with Zherdev is the secondary point. It's the simple fact that they don't appear to be doing anything proactive in terms of trying to sign a legit scoring forward. If the Sabres were interested, they were outmaneuvered. If they weren't interested, then why weren't they at least interested in a good offensive player? The answer to our scoring dreams? No, but it was an option. They don't seem to be exploring scoring options right now.

As to the second comment, you missed my point. And mind you, my point was based on my initial caveat, "assuming the reports are true..." So assuming they were true, and Zherdev was bucking for a 4-year deal and the Sabres were negotiating with him, then just about any 4-year deal trumps a 1-year deal. If the Flyers offered him 5mil for 1 year, even a lousy 2mil for 4 years is the better long-term deal for Zherdev. And if you're in negotiations, you can at the very least use it as leverage, but there's no way you lose him to another team's 1-year offer. Zherdev is NOT a Hossa all-world offensive talent. If his agent is telling him to return to the NHL with a 1-year deal so that you can strut your stuff and earn a mega contract next year, that's a HUGE risk, even with the KHL there as a safety net. Taking a 4-year deal is much better, even if the yearly amount is much less. But with all that said, considering how it unfolded and based on the outcome, I'm in agreement that it's likely the Sabres weren't even in the running on this one. I'd be curious to hear an insider's take.

Hopefully you were just exagerating. Nobody takes a 4 years, $2 million deal when there is a $5 million, i year deal on the table.

Hopefully you were just exagerating. Nobody takes a 4 years, $2 million deal when there is a $5 million, i year deal on the table.

My point was that if he's looking at landing a 4-year deal, and he settles for a 1-year deal, then clearly the team on the losing end, in this case the Sabres (according to initial reports, which may very well be inaccurate), blew it big time. There's no way you lose a player who, according to those reports, is looking long term. $5mil for one year pales in comparison to the long-term security a 4-year deal provides, so you don't need to approach the 1-year amount in per-year dollars. How far away can you be? That's debatable and depends on negotiations, but there's a ton of wiggle room there in both monetary and length-of-contract terms. I'll therefore assume the DR never made a serious play for Zherdev.

My point was that if he's looking at landing a 4-year deal, and he settles for a 1-year deal, then clearly the team on the losing end, in this case the Sabres (according to initial reports, which may very well be inaccurate), blew it big time. There's no way you lose a player who, according to those reports, is looking long term. $5mil for one year pales in comparison to the long-term security a 4-year deal provides, so you don't need to approach the 1-year amount in per-year dollars. How far away can you be? That's debatable and depends on negotiations, but there's a ton of wiggle room there in both monetary and length-of-contract terms. I'll therefore assume the DR never made a serious play for Zherdev.

And if he does wind up signing a one year deal, you might also have to assume that just about no one made a serious play. Either that or no one had any interest in going beyond one year with a guy full of so many question marks.

And if he does wind up signing a one year deal, you might also have to assume that just about no one made a serious play. Either that or no one had any interest in going beyond one year with a guy full of so many question marks.

I completely agree.

so the Flyers add Zherdev.. does that mean Carter or Gagne are available? I'd love to see us make a move for Carter.. that would make two potential 40-goal scorers.. i'm positively giddy at the thought!! Carter would be huge on the PP as well as the PK to go with his 52% faceoff numbers..

if only..

Everyone please remember this post. Zherdev might bomb, he might excel, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he would have sucked with a multi-year deal (except, of course, in the last year of that deal).

so the Flyers add Zherdev.. does that mean Carter or Gagne are available? I'd love to see us make a move for Carter.. that would make two potential 40-goal scorers.. i'm positively giddy at the thought!! Carter would be huge on the PP as well as the PK to go with his 52% faceoff numbers..

if only..

Hit 'em up with an offer sheet, Darcy! Carpe Diem!

Carters not a Rfa until next year the Flyers will clear at least 12-13 million off the block in salary next yeasr as well. he is in their long term plans Gagne...I'm not sure but I think his salary is to high at 5.5 as well as his prior injuries to the head for Darcy to make a play. Like i said prior I'd love to send an offer sheet for Gagner he is going to excel.

Its interesting seeing all these teams with no cap space sign new players and actually try to improve their teams while worrying about getting back under the cap later. Regier simply does'nt sign anyone in order to stay under the cap or just cherry picks the leftover (ahem, garbage) players he can get on the cheap. Looking at the two ways of working within the cap system, i wonder who does a better job at improving their team? The managers with balls are far more exciting to follow and I'm thinking they have an easier time getting players to sign as it appears they really want to win it all when a player is weighing his options.

Archived