Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

If u mean change his 3rd year of his ELC contract to his first year of "real money" no. he could sign an extension next year that would take effect in 2012-13, after the end of his ELC.

getting a bit ahead of ourselves, but I could see DR using the "Kaleta" on him so no offers come in when he goes RFA and let the arbitor figure it out. That way the Oil doesn't come along and offer him 8 million we have to match. Only problem is that the arby contract would only be for the most 2 years and I would expect u lock him in longer than that.

Myers would need 4 years of service before being arbitration eligible. That wouldn't be an option with him after the 11-12 season (his 3rd).

Actually shrader, I wonder how every Sabres fan will react when he puts up 65+ points with the Flyers this season. Given the fact it was reported the Sabres did kick the tires and he most likely would have produced more with Roy and Vanek.

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100708_Flyers_close_to_deal_with_Zherdev.html

2 league sources and one Flyers organization source? Sounds like a deal is being worked out to me.

Que Darcy's excuses:

We felt we were close to the cap

We felt he wouldn't be a good fit

We felt he was priced out of our range

The Flyers had more needs than us (I'll never stop laughing if this is the one)

Etc...Etc....... :wallbash:

What if he just tells the truth: with Connolly and Stafford, the Sabres have enough depth at the floater position.

Seriously, this guy could be great, could be a zero. His stats indicate that he shows up some years, and others, not. Why break the bank for a guy like that?

What if he just tells the truth: with Connolly and Stafford, the Sabres have enough depth at the floater position.

Seriously, this guy could be great, could be a zero. His stats indicate that he shows up some years, and others, not. Why break the bank for a guy like that?

You're right, of course, but at this point I am desperate for a top-6 forward. I will be deeply unhappy if we go into camp without any change in the top 6. And Ennis forcing his way in doesn't count.

I am pretty pessimistic on this signing at this point. Dmitri Chesnokov from Puck Daddy, who is pretty credible (and worth reading) IMHO, is reporting that he has reached an agreement with the Flyers.

I think that means though that they have to trade Gagne. If the Sabres could scoop him up for Stafford, I'd be pleased, and maybe happier at getting Gagne for 1 year than having to commit something like $3.75MM x 3 years for Zherdev.

How does the cap hit work for a traded player? So for the example of Stafford. Would Philly get to use the 1.9 mil the Sabres have him at or the 2.3 mil for the 1 year he has left on his contract?

How does the cap hit work for a traded player? So for the example of Stafford. Would Philly get to use the 1.9 mil the Sabres have him at or the 2.3 mil for the 1 year he has left on his contract?

The cap hit is still the average salary over the life of the contract. So in the case of a trade, that figure is just transfered over to the new team. The only scenarios that change a player's cap hit are retirements, assignment to the minors, buyouts, or being claimed on re-entry waivers.

$578,000 in cap space for Philly as opposed to Buffalo's 10.3 million. Wit another 16 million on top of that coming off next year.

wtf. <_<

When was the last time we had a payroll that was close to the cap? I can't seem to recall when we spent good money to get good players: cap era or not.

Here's something that might be relevant: Gagne has NOT waived his NTC. So maybe Philly can't sign Zherdev now?

Pierre Lebrun is reporting Zherdev has signed a 1 year deal with Philly. He just posted it on twitter. He said the hold up is the paper work takes a bit longer to process for players coming from the KHL.

Here's something that might be relevant: Gagne has NOT waived his NTC. So maybe Philly can't sign Zherdev now?

Didn't Zherdev's agent state they were going to see what pans out in a week or so?

So, with the Kings no longer interested in Gagne and that team was rumored to be on his list, does this mean Gagne has to find a new team before he waive his NTC?

I would highly doubt he has any love for Buffalo, playing for the Flyers and all.

It is the rare player in any sport that gives a flip about rivalries.

Even if he does care about the Flyers' rivalries, do you really think that Buffalo is up there for a current player? Yeah, Sabres-Flyers used to be a big rivalry that older fans in both cities remember well, but does the current Flyers team really see Buffalo that way? Pittsburgh and New Jersey are probably their two big ones, now; though, the Rangers end-of-season battle probably inflated that rivalry, too.

A one-year deal? Wow. Hard to believe the Sabres couldn't beat that.

Thats what is being reported now by everyone.

I find it extremely difficult to believe this player, at that price, could not have been an improvement over Stafford.

I am very hopeful Darcy has a larger move in mind, cause this guy was the only RWer I currently see out there that was readily available without giving up to much.

Thats what is being reported now by everyone.

I find it extremely difficult to believe this player, at that price, could not have been an improvement over Stafford.

I am very hopeful Darcy has a larger move in mind, cause this guy was the only RWer I currently see out there that was readily available without giving up to much.

I don't think Darcy has anything else in mind. Don't remember what thread the quote was posted in, but he thinks we can continue generating offense with our current players and did not sign Niedermayer with intentions of trading somebody away. We're ######.

Pierre Lebrun is reporting Zherdev has signed a 1 year deal with Philly. He just posted it on twitter. He said the hold up is the paper work takes a bit longer to process for players coming from the KHL.

Good gracious! Assuming this is accurate... (not impeaching the source here, just making sure the original source is correct, unlike, say, the NY Post.)

I know that Zherdev is a risky signing (based on the money/terms he was reportedly asking) for any team due to his past on-ice issues involving inconsistency, but how is it that the DR just can't get these things done? (Rhetorical question, so don't answer that.) I don't think Zherdev would've been the cure-all by any stretch, but at least it would've been an attempt to improve the "top 6," which was supposedly the priority, or one of them, going into the off-season. Cap troubles or not, give Philly credit for at least taking some chances to improve their team. And this is a team that went to the finals. We didn't make it out of the first round and we're basically standing pat. I don't doubt that Zherdev was asking for the moon, but if this story is true, he settled for ONE YEAR! Surely we could've outbid without losing our shirts simply based on the length of what he ended up settling for.

If this is all part of some master plan to land a Bobby Ryan or something similar (and by similar, I DO NOT mean trading for Kaberle), I'm down. Otherwise the lack of aggression the front office continues to show in light of their first-round-exit-comments just reinforces all the negative comments spewed in their direction. It's not at all surprising to any of us, but honestly can't we see an aggressive move at least once? Not a reckless move, just an aggressive one. If it doesn't work out, sure we'll still be critical ("it wasn't the RIGHT move"), but at least you did what you could to try to win a Cup. Again, it doesn't have to be an earth-shattering coup of a deal, and overpaying for a Zherdev isn't the way to go, but do something. We'll just hang around and continue to wait.

Amen to both sentiments!

Amen to both sentiments!

What we need to remember is that just becuase some obscure source in Russia says that the Sabres were talking to him doesn't actually mean that they were or that any serious talks ever actually happened.

What we need to remember is that just becuase some obscure source in Russia says that the Sabres were talking to him doesn't actually mean that they were or that any serious talks ever actually happened.

This is true, but at the same time, why would the writer just make that up? Unless he just mentioned the two teams that probably need a player like him the most to make himself sound credible (eklund style). My guess is Zherdev contacted Buffalo and was told "We do not have room on our roster for another scoring forward, please move on and sign with a real contender."

Jeez. They aren't really going to let Niedermayer be the only change to the forwards, are they?

Coldly and rationally, I will say that Zherdev was a lot closer to the TC/Roy/Pommer no-show-in-the-playoff mold than to the kind of guy the Sabres really need, but still. He would've been an upgrade over Stafford and maybe, at 25, could have stepped up the clutch play factor.

Give me someone!

For some reason, I don't think the Sabres were truly interested in him from the get go. Quite a few of us here on the forum couldn't see him in blue and gold next season either.

A word of advice for Peter Laviolette: buy yourself some stock in Excedrin or Bayer Aspirin. You're going to need it next year when it comes to Zherdev.

Archived