Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

the Sabres have spent to or near the cap since the lockout.

lol thank you for pointing that out. You can blame for not making the right moves but they have not gone cheap at all. The year we lost to the Canes in the East finals we were really limited and they've always tried to give themselves some room in case of injury and such. I think they will still spend some money this year but we're not the only team thats got so much cap space available. I do think in the salary cap world, trading is very difficult.

Over paying for a guy should never be the solution unless it's a proven star.

I think 4 mil is about right for Zherdev, especially given that he has hit 55 to 60 points a season with some questionable line mates.

I do think he needed to mature a bit mentally, but given the fact he may end up on the Right Wing with Vanek and Roy, there is certainly potential there to see him climb over 70+ points a season for a couple of years as well help boost his linemates stats as well, thereby increasing each individual players value.

Risky? A bit of an over payment? You bet, but with greater risk comes greater reward if it works. Big if I know, but it sure beats playing Stafford up on the Right Wing again this coming season, thats already been done, repeatedly, with 0 success.

I think 4 mil is about right for Zherdev, especially given that he has hit 55 to 60 points a season with some questionable line mates.

I do think he needed to mature a bit mentally, but given the fact he may end up on the Right Wing with Vanek and Roy, there is certainly potential there to see him climb over 70+ points a season for a couple of years as well help boost his linemates stats as well, thereby increasing each individual players value.

Risky? A bit of an over payment? You bet, but with greater risk comes greater reward if it works. Big if I know, but it sure beats playing Stafford up on the Right Wing again this coming season, thats already been done, repeatedly, with 0 success.

And greater scrutiny if it doesn't (Pominville, Connolly)

And greater scrutiny if it doesn't (Pominville, Connolly)

Also true, the scales tip both ways Lanny.

I'll be a betting man and take Zherdev on the RW with Vanek and Roy over Stafford, its just an opinion mind you, but I have 3 seasons of data to arrive at the conclusion that Stafford isn't working out there, and with Pommers on the RW on line 2, I see Stafford as a 3rd/4th liner. Unfortunately for him, we already have Kaleta and Grier at RW on those lines.

And after all, if he enhances his own numbers along with his linemates, I would be looking at the value of those players with better over all numbers on the offensive side.

I tend to look at the players as commodities Lanny, if you can increase its value for a favorable return down the road on that commodity, well then, as a GM I would have to say you are doing your job.

I would say $4 million is right for Zherdev as well. But, do we know what Buffalo has offered compared to Philly? I am not sure I would go higher then $4 million and if i did, prolly up to the $4.25 range and that's it. He will want years as well as a good salary, and the risk is too great for failure to be spending money on a project like that who has played very well in the past and has a very high potential but also is coming off a very weak season in Russia, some consider soft and has had issues with inconsistant play.

That's how Darcy might word it. I think that's a real whopper, but I don't have time to run down all the numbers right now.

07-08 about 5 mill cap space

08-09 about 6 mill cap space

09-10 about 2 mill cap space

That sounds about right. For two of those years, they were below the league average, I think.

Certainly there's plenty of money left to work with for 2010-11.

I wonder how everyone will react when the find out that all this phony Zherdev buzz was a ploy created by his people so that some Russian team would cave and give him a bigger contract.

Based on things I've read and heard from people in Columbus (particulary Doug Mclean) he can be a slippery mofo.

I wonder how everyone will react when the find out that all this phony Zherdev buzz was a ploy created by his people so that some Russian team would cave and give him a bigger contract.

Actually shrader, I wonder how every Sabres fan will react when he puts up 65+ points with the Flyers this season. Given the fact it was reported the Sabres did kick the tires and he most likely would have produced more with Roy and Vanek.

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100708_Flyers_close_to_deal_with_Zherdev.html

2 league sources and one Flyers organization source? Sounds like a deal is being worked out to me.

Que Darcy's excuses:

We felt we were close to the cap

We felt he wouldn't be a good fit

We felt he was priced out of our range

The Flyers had more needs than us (I'll never stop laughing if this is the one)

Etc...Etc....... :wallbash:

07-08 would have been about $3 million had Teppo ($2.60 million) not been replaced with Pratt ($0.55 million) at the last minute. They planned to be closer than they actually ended up being due to Teppo's heart problem and subsequent suspension.

Actually shrader, I wonder how every Sabres fan will react when he puts up 65+ points with the Flyers this season. Given the fact it was reported the Sabres did kick the tires and he most likely would have produced more with Roy and Vanek.

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100708_Flyers_close_to_deal_with_Zherdev.html

2 league sources and one Flyers organization source? Sounds like a deal is being worked out to me.

Que Darcy's excuses:

We felt we were close to the cap

We felt he wouldn't be a good fit

We felt he was priced out of our range

The Flyers had more needs than us (I'll never stop laughing if this is the one)

Etc...Etc....... :wallbash:

But why are the only named sources on this thing coming directly from Russia? No reputable source has put their name anywhere near this thing. TSN's only mention was a throwaway line in a column about Toronto not being interested. A local paper picking up on the chatter when their team is involved is a completely different story. Now, he may wind up there, but the whole thing just seems incredibly fishy to me.

Why are the only named sources on this thing coming directly from Russia though?

But why are the only named sources on this thing coming directly from Russia? No reputable source has put their name anywhere near this thing. TSN's only mention was a throwaway line in a column about Toronto not being interested. A local paper picking up on the chatter when their team is involved is a completely different story. Now, he may wind up there, but the whole thing just seems incredibly fishy to me.

Why are the only named sources on this thing coming directly from Russia though?

"But as of last night, no deal had been reached. Two league sources and one Flyers source told the Daily News yesterday that the Flyers and Zherdev's agent, Igor Popov, have been talking and appear to be close to a deal. One source said he expects the Flyers to sign the free agent today."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100708_Flyers_close_to_deal_with_Zherdev.html#ixzz0t6Wkk2MO

$578,000 in cap space for Philly as opposed to Buffalo's 10.3 million. Wit another 16 million on top of that coming off next year.

wtf. <_<

There going to need atleast 8 million of that next season to sign Myers to his life time contract.

"But as of last night, no deal had been reached. Two league sources and one Flyers source told the Daily News yesterday that the Flyers and Zherdev's agent, Igor Popov, have been talking and appear to be close to a deal. One source said he expects the Flyers to sign the free agent today."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100708_Flyers_close_to_deal_with_Zherdev.html#ixzz0t6Wkk2MO

All unnamed. They could be as low as office secretaries. Anyway, the whole thing has been so strange. I said it was a play to get a new deal in Russia, but it could have just as easily been a ploy to get a deal here. A guy off of everyone's radar suddenly drops hints that he's been talking with team X and team Y, all of a sudden sparks a little interest from others thanks to one case of name dropping.

He's an RFA in 2012-2013. Meaning he can't 'discuss' a contract for 2012+ until next year.

Correct chz.

So, if they offer him the extension in the off season next year, couldn't they use the end of his ELC as the starting year of a new contract? I am assuming its an enticer to get a player to sign, is this correct?

Correct chz.

So, if they offer him the extension in the off season next year, couldn't they use the end of his ELC as the starting year of a new contract? I am assuming its an enticer to get a player to sign, is this correct?

If u mean change his 3rd year of his ELC contract to his first year of "real money" no. he could sign an extension next year that would take effect in 2012-13, after the end of his ELC.

getting a bit ahead of ourselves, but I could see DR using the "Kaleta" on him so no offers come in when he goes RFA and let the arbitor figure it out. That way the Oil doesn't come along and offer him 8 million we have to match. Only problem is that the arby contract would only be for the most 2 years and I would expect u lock him in longer than that.

Archived