Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

Its interesting seeing all these teams with no cap space sign new players and actually try to improve their teams while worrying about getting back under the cap later. Regier simply does'nt sign anyone in order to stay under the cap or just cherry picks the leftover (ahem, garbage) players he can get on the cheap. Looking at the two ways of working within the cap system, i wonder who does a better job at improving their team? The managers with balls are far more exciting to follow and I'm thinking they have an easier time getting players to sign as it appears they really want to win it all when a player is weighing his options.

Well, in Darcy's defense, we don't need to sign any new top 6 talent, we have all we need in Portland.

From what I understand, there is a line of talented forwards waiting to get up to the big club.

Thats according to Lindy and Darcy of course.

:unsure:

so the Flyers add Zherdev.. does that mean Carter or Gagne are available? I'd love to see us make a move for Carter.. that would make two potential 40-goal scorers.. i'm positively giddy at the thought!! Carter would be huge on the PP as well as the PK to go with his 52% faceoff numbers..

if only..

There is no scenario I can think of that has Carter cut loose.. He'd be in NY in a heartbeat.

From TSN: "Zherdev played five seasons in the NHL, four with the Columbus Blue Jackets and one with the New York Rangers. He left the NHL following the 2008-09 campaign to play for Atlant-Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League after the Rangers refused an arbitrator's award."

The freaking Rangers refused to pay him (they pay EVERYBODY!), and we're upset? The best the guy could do was a one-year deal? His NHL stats are up-and-down; several folks have mentioned that he's a floater, and we don't even know why he's on this side of the Atlantic rather than the other side, where he seemed so comfortable to go just a couple of years ago. For all we know, he's the Stafford of the KHL.

This guy is going to have one decent year. One, at best. Then he'll sign somewhere else (C-bus again?), make money, and suck. Forget him. The more I read, the happier I am that he's a Flyer and not a Sabre, not that I was that excited to begin with.

From TSN: "Zherdev played five seasons in the NHL, four with the Columbus Blue Jackets and one with the New York Rangers. He left the NHL following the 2008-09 campaign to play for Atlant-Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League after the Rangers refused an arbitrator's award."

The freaking Rangers refused to pay him (they pay EVERYBODY!), and we're upset? The best the guy could do was a one-year deal? His NHL stats are up-and-down; several folks have mentioned that he's a floater, and we don't even know why he's on this side of the Atlantic rather than the other side, where he seemed so comfortable to go just a couple of years ago. For all we know, he's the Stafford of the KHL.

This guy is going to have one decent year. One, at best. Then he'll sign somewhere else (C-bus again?), make money, and suck. Forget him. The more I read, the happier I am that he's a Flyer and not a Sabre, not that I was that excited to begin with.

Right, so I am supposed to believe that the guy played for 2 teams, both of which are complete crap, and base his potential on that?

OH, and by the way, he still managed to put in 20 or more for 3 out of 5 seasons even though he was on completely inept squads?

Please. Say what you will about the guy, but it looks to me like he has some potential that can be tapped.

Or would you nay sayers prefer Stafford for one more season? I still cannot believe people actually believe that Stafford is a better choice than Zherdev, absolute insanity to think so.

The Rangers let him walk to clear cap space to sign Gaborik. With Drury's $7 mil cap hit, Redden's 6.5, Roszival's 5, Lundqvists 7, they simply had to let him walk to keep Dubinsky and Callahan, possibly others as well. For the $3.9 mil he was awarded in arbitration, other teams probably saw it as a risk or were unable to fit him into their plans. However, his stats are hardly "up-and-down." He's had one subpar year since he began his NHL career -- he improved statistically every season besides 06/07, where he only scored 10 goals... then rebounded with the two best years of his career before heading to Russia. His stats in the KHL (in only 52 games) were just about on pace to equal his recent NHL stats -- 13 goals and 26 assists for 39 points. Give him another 30 games and he would likely be up around 23, 24 goals again, perhaps higher if he got on a little streak.

I dont think we'll miss him. He'll play average at best for the Flyers whereas he would have been run out of town at Buffalo. I think Buffalo is more focused on hard work than players with high skill sets but are slightly lazy with dubious loyalties.

I dont think we'll miss him. He'll play average at best for the Flyers whereas he would have been run out of town at Buffalo. I think Buffalo is more focused on hard work than players with high skill sets but are slightly lazy with dubious loyalties.

I call bullsh!t. This Sabres team does not work hard at all. This team rarely puts in 30 minutes of effort let alone 60 minutes. Slow starts and uninspired efforts are this team's trademarks. If this team "focused on hard work" than Connolly, Roy, Stafford and a few others would have been shown the door.

Zherdev is a 25 year old winger with "top six" talent that will have third line duty on the Flyers do to their depth at forward. Yes, the Flyers have actual depth on their roster. The Flyers also have actual leadership with players like Richards and Pronger. I fully expect Zherdev to score at least 30 goals and possibly 40+ if the Flyers PP takes off.

Zherdev is a 25 year old winger with "top six" talent that will have third line duty on the Flyers do to their depth at forward. Yes, the Flyers have actual depth on their roster. The Flyers also have actual leadership with players like Richards and Pronger. I fully expect Zherdev to score at least 30 goals and possibly 40+ if the Flyers PP takes off.

I was quite impressed that the Flyers got to the Cup finals after hearing all season long that Pronger and Richards were forming factions and there was talk of rifts in the dressing room etc. Success breeds peace, or vice versa?

I call bullsh!t. This Sabres team does not work hard at all. This team rarely puts in 30 minutes of effort let alone 60 minutes. Slow starts and uninspired efforts are this team's trademarks. If this team "focused on hard work" than Connolly, Roy, Stafford and a few others would have been shown the door.

When put in a 30 team league in which we come in the top half relatively regularly you reckon we barely play half a game?

Zherdev is a highly skilled player and someone that would would have been an asset but even if we had got him I'd still worry about him more than most other members of this team.

That's crap. You still don't get that almost all teams fill out the bottom 6 of their roster the same way Buffalo does. The difference is the effectiveness of the top 6. Look at the htird and fourth linee that Philly playe din the playoffs. They are no better then Buffalo's. Carcillo, Asham, Laperrier, Powe, Van Riemsdyk and Hartnell. Wow, what top 6 talent!

That's crap. You still don't get that almost all teams fill out the bottom 6 of their roster the same way Buffalo does. The difference is the effectiveness of the top 6. Look at the htird and fourth linee that Philly playe din the playoffs. They are no better then Buffalo's. Carcillo, Asham, Laperrier, Powe, Van Riemsdyk and Hartnell. Wow, what top 6 talent!

I'd take JVR off that list. He's a prospect in the works and doesn't fit in with the rest of that group.

You completely ignored the point. Zherdev is a top line talent on the Sabres and he is likely to be relegated to third line status on the Flyers. And for the record, I'll take the Flyers "bottom six" over the Sabres "botom six" any day.

I'd take JVR off that list. He's a prospect in the works and doesn't fit in with the rest of that group.

I know he's a prospect just making a point that they don't exactly have a loaded roster of top 6 forwards. In fact, Leino is probably not a top 6 guy either although he had a terrific playoff.

You completely ignored the point. Zherdev is a top line talent on the Sabres and he is likely to be relegated to third line status on the Flyers. And for the record, I'll take the Flyers "bottom six" over the Sabres "botom six" any day.

No, I didn't ignore your point. Zherdev will not be a third liner. He is likely to replace Gagne in the top 6. Of course you like their bottom six. that's the type of hockey you like but it refutes a point you made earlier aout hteir depth and the number of forwards that could easily fill a top 6 spot on a long term basis.

No, I didn't ignore your point. Zherdev will not be a third liner. He is likely to replace Gagne in the top 6. Of course you like their bottom six. that's the type of hockey you like but it refutes a point you made earlier aout hteir depth and the number of forwards that could easily fill a top 6 spot on a long term basis.

Other than just repeating what you wrote, I don't know what I would say, except to add that Zherdev still is a gamble. He'll have a great year in Philly, I'll bet (wrote this earlier), and then find some sucker to take his slacker ###### on for a three-year deal.

Van Riemsdyk and Hartnell are top six talents. Actually both players offensive outputs would have them in the Sabres top six. That's what depth is, having players on the third and fourth lines that have top six talent. Which is why the Flyers can afford to trade away a Gagne if they choose. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flyers ended up with another top six forward in return.

I love comparing the Sabres and Flyers forwards. It's really depressing. Did you know Derek Roy led the Sabre forwards with 47 blocked shots? The Flyers had four forwards that had more. Did you know the Sabres had two forwards with over 100 hits? The Flyers had five players with 100+ hits.

Van Riemsdyk and Hartnell are top six talents. Actually both players offensive outputs would have them in the Sabres top six. That's what depth is, having players on the third and fourth lines that have top six talent. Which is why the Flyers can afford to trade away a Gagne if they choose. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flyers ended up with another top six forward in return.

I love comparing the Sabres and Flyers forwards. It's really depressing. Did you know Derek Roy led the Sabre forwards with 47 blocked shots? The Flyers had four forwards that had more. Did you know the Sabres had two forwards with over 100 hits? The Flyers had five players with 100+ hits.

Again reciting unofficial stats compiled by part time employees who are given discriptions such as a hit is "any time a player impedes the progress of an opopsing player."

Here are some official stats;

The Sabres scored 18 more goals 5 on 5 and only 1 goal less then the Flyers overall.

Here are some official stats;

The Sabres scored 18 more goals 5 on 5 and only 1 goal less then the Flyers overall.

Let me help you by heading off a counter-point that is sure to come with a quick stat ...

Sabres scored 21 goals in four games against the Lightning

Flyers scored 22 goals in four games against the Lightning

Let me help you by heading off a counter-point that is sure to come with a quick stat ...

Sabres scored 21 goals in four games against the Lightning

Flyers scored 22 goals in four games against the Lightning

No, that can't be. Only Buffalo pad their stats.

Seriously, I know Buffalo has its flaws and I am definitely going to be disappointed if they don't add to their top 6 but the tone of some of the dissenters is bordering on ridiculous. Suddenly the season is broken up into segments and only certain games count and un-official stats mean more then goals and wins and yada, yada, yada.

[/b]

Again reciting unofficial stats compiled by part time employees who are given discriptions such as a hit is "any time a player impedes the progress of an opopsing player."

Again ignoring the facts that the Sabres are far to soft upfront which is why they wore down and were dominated by the Bruins in the third periods of the playoffs series.

No, that can't be. Only Buffalo pad their stats.

Seriously, I know Buffalo has its flaws and I am definitely going to be disappointed if they don't add to their top 6 but the tone of some of the dissenters is bordering on ridiculous. Suddenly the season is broken up into segments and only certain games count and un-official stats mean more then goals and wins and yada, yada, yada.

Scotty Bowman, I believe, invented the idea of evaluating a season by 10 game segments. You gonna tell Scotty he doesn't know what he's doing?

By and by, I still think the way the Sabres finished that road trip out West messed with their minds the rest of the way. They talked about it being a test against the best of the West and they sure failed it.

Scotty Bowman, I believe, invented the idea of evaluating a season by 10 game segments. You gonna tell Scotty he doesn't know what he's doing?

By and by, I still think the way the Sabres finished that road trip out West messed with their minds the rest of the way. They talked about it being a test against the best of the West and they sure failed it.

Scotty didn't "evaluate" the season that way. The whole point of the 10 game segments was as a motivational tool knowing that you can't win them all but hoping to maintain consistency throughout the season by having winning records each ten game segment.

Show me one quote were Scotty said I knew we would win the Cup because we won more 10 game segments then they did. On the other hand I can show you dozens of quotes by him in support of Lindy Ruff who you would like to see run out of town. You going to tell Scotty he is wrong?

Archived