Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

He just said "the Siberia of the NHL" and although it might disapoint some of the Sabres fans, they are not Siberia, Edmonton has a worse time trying to attract FA's according to reports and polls of players

I think you took his statement a little too literal.

Bobby Ryan is exactly the kind of situation -- like Pronger last year, where a good player needs to be traded for contract/financial reasons -- that DR needs to be in the mix on. And if the Sabres picked up both of them -- well, it's not going to happen, but it would be pretty awesome.

The Ducks have ~$16 million worth of cap space. This whole thing is nothing more than both sides playing hardball. They'll work it out eventually and Ryan won't be going anywhere.

lmfao damn that mustve been quite the rollercoaster when you read the article..

Freaking Seriously dude. I was like NO #@*#(*(#%%@# WAY. Even went so far as to think, "Darcy, you sweet son of a bitch" and then it's about Zherdev, who I have heard of but know nothing about.

Sabres closing in on Zherdev?

They are the only team being mentioned today.

Meh, I guess we'll wait and see, but come on Darcy, PICK.........UP.........THE..........PHONE.........AND..........CALL..........ANAHIEM.........ABOUT............BOBBY............RYAN.........AND...........BE...........QUICK...........ABOUT..............IT!!!

The Ducks have ~$16 million worth of cap space. This whole thing is nothing more than both sides playing hardball. They'll work it out eventually and Ryan won't be going anywhere.

But kinda the same thing happened with Kessel last year when he was an RFA. Sometimes the team and the player get so sideways that it can't be worked out. I have no knowledge as to whether this is the case here, but (i) it seems like the team is expressing a lot of frustration with the situation publicly (ie not just behind closed doors to his agent) and (ii) it could happen. If it does, DR needs to be in the mix with a real offer.

Sabres closing in on Zherdev?

They are the only team being mentioned today.

Meh, I guess we'll wait and see, but come on Darcy, PICK.........UP.........THE..........PHONE.........AND..........CALL..........ANAHIEM.........ABOUT............BOBBY............RYAN.........AND...........BE...........QUICK...........ABOUT..............IT!!!

By whom? Has anyone from the Sabres or from Zherdev's side definitively said the Sabres have made an offer? Still trying to figure out how much meat there is here.

He just said "the Siberia of the NHL" and although it might disapoint some of the Sabres fans, they are not Siberia, Edmonton has a worse time trying to attract FA's according to reports and polls of players

Chris Pronger knows this all too well...

But kinda the same thing happened with Kessel last year when he was an RFA. Sometimes the team and the player get so sideways that it can't be worked out. I have no knowledge as to whether this is the case here, but (i) it seems like the team is expressing a lot of frustration with the situation publicly (ie not just behind closed doors to his agent) and (ii) it could happen. If it does, DR needs to be in the mix with a real offer.

By whom? Has anyone from the Sabres or from Zherdev's side definitively said the Sabres have made an offer? Still trying to figure out how much meat there is here.

No one from the Sabres organization has said anything in any direction on this, its all quiet from Darcy.

As previously posted nfreeman, just by the Atlant web site and by some guy who follows the KHL.

http://twitter.com/dchesnokov

"Buffalo" and "Toronto" called Zherdeva

Buffalo and Toronto are interested in the services of star KHL Nikolai Zherdeva. Overseas clubs already have proposed that the charismatic striker who last season played for Moscow Region Atlant. However, so far the parties have not found a common language - Zherdev wants a long term contract with a salary not less than $ 4 million a year.

- While I can not comment on this information, let's wait a week - said one of the agents hockey player Igor Popov. - The situation is difficult at the moment. But I can confirm that the most likely, Nicholas goes to the NHL."

Here is Dregers rebuttal of the Leafs involvement.

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

"I'll play the role of the fun police. Leafs have zero interest in Zherdev and Pitt is not trading Jordan Staal."

Since Dreger has basically pulled Toronto out of the mix, that leaves only the Sabres actually mentioned. What I find extremely interesting is Dreger said nothing on the Sabres. Some have speculated the Islanders could be involved, but I've seen no mention of them from anywhere on this, only the Leafs and Sabres.

Boston was right up against the cap last year. They handed out new deals already to guys like Krejci, Thomas, and Derek Morris and left themselves almost not room to work with for Kessel.

ZHERDEV SIGNS WITH BUFFALO!!!!!!

Buffalo Sabres

On July 6,2010, Zherdev returned to the NHL, signing a 3 year, 10.5 million dollar contract with the Buffalo Sabres. When asked about the signing, Larry Quinn responded "We are very intrigued by Nikolai."

According to Wiki LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Zherdev

ZHERDEV SIGNS WITH BUFFALO!!!!!!

Buffalo Sabres

On July 6,2010, Zherdev returned to the NHL, signing a 3 year, 10.5 million dollar contract with the Buffalo Sabres. When asked about the signing, Larry Quinn responded "We are very intrigued by Nikolai."

According to Wiki LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Zherdev

Great, now people are going to run with that one as if it's true.

Great, now people are going to run with that one as if it's true.

Don't shoot the messenger, a buddy of mine calls me up and asked me if it was true. I told him I had seen nothing from the organization, McKenzie or Dreger at TSN or anywhere else for that matter. He then pointed to a forum called HF Boards (which looks like a bunch of kids) and said it was on Wiki.

And now its not on Wiki. LOL

Gotta love it.

For those not at the sessions at Dywer.

"It could be that it hasn't been finialized. At the prospect camp multiple people have said Darcy has been glued to his phone the whole time and now the afternoon session was cancelled for tomorrow."

Don't shoot the messenger, a buddy of mine calls me up and asked me if it was true. I told him I had seen nothing from the organization, McKenzie or Dreger at TSN or anywhere else for that matter. He then pointed to a forum called HF Boards (which looks like a bunch of kids) and said it was on Wiki.

Gotta love it.

"It could be that it hasn't been finialized. At the prospect camp multiple people have said Darcy has been glued to his phone the whole time and now the afternoon session was cancelled for tomorrow."

Static, I've disagreed with you plenty of times, but if the Sabres sign Zherdev, I'll be happy to give you credit for being on top of this one.

The whole wikipedia post/deletion is pretty strange.

I'll also note again that if the Sabres do sign him, once again, the Buffalo News has zero advance knowledge.

Bill Hoppe -- any news on this from your end?

Static, I've disagreed with you plenty of times, but if the Sabres sign Zherdev, I'll be happy to give you credit for being on top of this one.

The whole wikipedia post/deletion is pretty strange.

I'll also note again that if the Sabres do sign him, once again, the Buffalo News has zero advance knowledge.

Bill Hoppe -- any news on this from your end?

Thanks nfreeman, I tend to get excitable at times, but I'm only trying to post what I'm reading. I do like to speculate, but I really want the Sabres or TSN to indicate something before I believe it. Although, I will admit, I try and follow as much as I can about the team.

And if anyone can confirm anything, please do. Even a fart in the breeze over at HSBC would be news at this point and time.

Also, whats the gig with this HF Boards place, it looks like hockey galore, but after reading a few of the posts, there seems to be a whole lot of bickering. It was hard to clear out the nonsense and get some info. But one guy did post the wiki link.

Gotta love it.

Who are you quoting there?

edit: And I'm not sure how seriously you're taking the wikipedia thing. You do realize the serious flaws in citing anything mentioned there, right?

Who are you quoting there?

Some poster over at this new site my buddy pointed me to. Its called HF Boards. The guys screen name was BloFan4Life.

Yes shrader, thats why I added the LOL. If I'm not mistaken, can't anyone change Wiki pages?

I just found it amusing is all. Someone's wishful thinking? Or is it someone jumping the gun?

Either way, it was there and now its not. Take it with less than a grain of salt. I do find it amusing though.

Some poster over at this new site my buddy pointed me to. Its called HF Boards. The guys screen name was BloFan4Life.

Yes shrader, thats why I added the LOL. If I'm not mistaken, can't anyone change Wiki pages?

I just found it amusing is all. Someone's wishful thinking? Or is it someone jumping the gun?

Either way, it was there and now its not. Take it with less than a grain of salt. I do find it amusing though.

I used to have fun editing the page for the 1999 Stanley Cup Final. Ahhhh, the random moments of boredom during college. That's exactly what this one was. If someone was jumping the gun on a story, it wouldn't happen there. Instead it would happen in the New York Times (or was it the Post that had the whole Kovalchuk thing?).

edit: Oh, and I only asked if you're aware of wikipedia because of the edit you made to your original post.

I used to have fun editing the page for the 1999 Stanley Cup Final. Ahhhh, the random moments of boredom during college. That's exactly what this one was. If someone was jumping the gun on a story, it wouldn't happen there. Instead it would happen in the New York Times (or was it the Post that had the whole Kovalchuk thing?).

edit: Oh, and I only asked if you're aware of wikipedia because of the edit you made to your original post.

Learning as I go shrader.

But, my preference is Bobby Ryan, even if we can't get him, ever.

Zherdev would probably do well with Roy and Vanek, my opinion is Ryan would do much better though. Just a thought, and one I know will never happen, but, as a fan, one can dream.

Archived