Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

No, that can't be. Only Buffalo pad their stats.

Seriously, I know Buffalo has its flaws and I am definitely going to be disappointed if they don't add to their top 6 but the tone of some of the dissenters is bordering on ridiculous. Suddenly the season is broken up into segments and only certain games count and un-official stats mean more then goals and wins and yada, yada, yada.

Trying to say that this season was about anything other than Ryan Miller is ridiculous. That the Sabres soft forwards and ineffective defense has this franchise on the verge of contending is ridiculous. I hope you are a praying man TW. Pray that Ryan Miller stays healthy and can play another 70+ games. If not we'll be having a conversation next off-season on how the Sabres can justify bringing Ruff and Regier back after missing the playoffs again.

Scotty didn't "evaluate" the season that way. The whole point of the 10 game segments was as a motivational tool knowing that you can't win them all but hoping to maintain consistency throughout the season by having winning records each ten game segment.

Show me one quote were Scotty said I knew we would win the Cup because we won more 10 game segments then they did. On the other hand I can show you dozens of quotes by him in support of Lindy Ruff who you would like to see run out of town. You going to tell Scotty he is wrong?

If Scotty thought Lindy should be fired do you really think he would say so?

His point about Bowman was Bowman's feelings on consistency and a tool he used to maintain it. Bowman used many similar methods. I remember Foligno telling a story where he walked into a meeting during the season and Bowman handed out exams for his players to take. PA is 100% right to point out the Sabres drop off. When the schedule got tougher and more condensed this small frail team began to wither.

Again ignoring the facts that the Sabres are far to soft upfront which is why they wore down and were dominated by the Bruins in the third periods of the playoffs series.

There was one game were you could point to an obvious third period domination while the ineffective powerplay was evident all 6 games. They certainly didn't look warned down in game 5 or 6, just ineffective in game 6. They were so worn down they were out shot by a whole 2 shots and actually outshot the Bruins 27 to 19 even strength.

If Scotty thought Lindy should be fired do you really think he would say so?

His point about Bowman was Bowman's feelings on consistency and a tool he used to maintain it. Bowman used many similar methods. I remember Foligno telling a story where he walked into a meeting during the season and Bowman handed out exams for his players to take. PA is 100% right to point out the Sabres drop off. When the schedule got tougher and more condensed this small frail team began to wither.

Please, there is no evudence to suggest they worn down no matter how much you want to believe it and way to ignore hte main point about whether Scotty is right or wrong. Typical Deluca.

Please, there is no evudence to suggest they worn down no matter how much you want to believe it and way to ignore hte main point about whether Scotty is right or wrong. Typical Deluca.

Weren't they outscored like 9-1 by the Bruins in the third periods? I believe they were out-shot as well. I did the math a while back and I don't feel like looking it up.

The Main point PA made was that Bowman invented the idea of breaking a season up in segments, to maintain consistency as you said. Where is PA wrong? The Sabres lacked consistency towards the end of the year and it hurt them going into the playoffs. They were 5-5 in their last ten and more importantly 2-4 against the Bruins.

What a ominous omen that final game against the Bruins turned out to be. Sabrs had a early lead and the Bruins outscored them in the third to take the game. Pretty much how the series went.

Weren't they outscored like 9-1 by the Bruins in the third periods? I believe they were out-shot as well. I did the math a while back and I don't feel like looking it up.

The Main point PA made was that Bowman invented the idea of breaking a season up in segments, to maintain consistency as you said. Where is PA wrong? The Sabres lacked consistency towards the end of the year and it hurt them going into the playoffs. They were 5-5 in their last ten and more importantly 2-4 against the Bruins.

What a ominous omen that final game against the Bruins turned out to be. Sabrs had a early lead and the Bruins outscored them in the third to take the game. Pretty much how the series went.

Ok, I can't go to bed yet. They weren't outscored 9 to 1 in third periods and PA was worng because he said Scotty evaluated seasons that way and he didn't. Only teams that finish out of the playoffs tell their fans how well they did in the second half of trhe season. NOw I'm done.

Ok, I can't go to bed yet. They weren't outscored 9 to 1 in third periods and PA was worng because he said Scotty evaluated seasons that way and he didn't. Only teams that finish out of the playoffs tell their fans how well they did in the second half of trhe season. NOw I'm done.

My memory if off. It was 9-3 in the third periods. A pretty big margin in a six game series.

My memory if off. It was 9-3 in the third periods. A pretty big margin in a six game series.

Pretty sure it was 9 - 4 but the point is that there is no evidence that it had anything to do with being wore out. They generated plenty of offense 5 on 5, they just lost the special teams battle.

There was one game were you could point to an obvious third period domination while the ineffective powerplay was evident all 6 games. They certainly didn't look warned down in game 5 or 6, just ineffective in game 6. They were so worn down they were out shot by a whole 2 shots and actually outshot the Bruins 27 to 19 even strength.

And this is where Miller being worn down comes into play. Miller couldn't finish off games for the life of him. Sure his team didn't play too hot in front of him, but wow was he outplayed by Rask. Rask made big save after big save and Miller let in questionable goal after questionable goal -- not all were his fault, but they seem like shots he would have found a way to stop if he was 100% focused, like earlier in the season. Makes you wonder if letting in that softie in the Gold Medal game hurt his confidence, thus in turn destroying the team's confidence.

And this is where Miller being worn down comes into play. Miller couldn't finish off games for the life of him. Sure his team didn't play too hot in front of him, but wow was he outplayed by Rask. Rask made big save after big save and Miller let in questionable goal after questionable goal -- not all were his fault, but they seem like shots he would have found a way to stop if he was 100% focused, like earlier in the season. Makes you wonder if letting in that softie in the Gold Medal game hurt his confidence, thus in turn destroying the team's confidence.

Here's a question for you Jack, which goaltender had the best goals against average and second best save percentage in the playoffs? You guessed it, your tired and exhausted Miller letting in goal after goal!

A couple of power play goals and no one would be talking about any of this other garbage.

Here's a question for you Jack, which goaltender had the best goals against average and second best save percentage in the playoffs? You guessed it, your tired and exhausted Miller letting in goal after goal!

A couple of power play goals and no one would be talking about any of this other garbage.

He only played six games -- stats aren't a good representation of his play. If he plays well in three of those six games, it greatly affects that number. Who's number 2 in GAA? Varlamov, another goalie out in the first round. And it's no coincidence that Craig ###### Anderson beat him out for Save %, and Pascal Leclaire enters at #3 -- both also out in the first round if memory serves correctly.

Now if he finishes Top 3 in those categories after, say, 23 or 24 playoff games, it becomes impressive. Too bad we'll never know, because he gave Boston a few too many freebies. :thumbsup:

Pretty sure it was 9 - 4 but the point is that there is no evidence that it had anything to do with being wore out. They generated plenty of offense 5 on 5, they just lost the special teams battle.

It was 9-3. The Sabres did not out score the Bruins in any of the 6 third periods. If you think such a third period domination like that isn't a sign of fatigue all I can do is laugh at you.

It was 9-3. The Sabres did not out score the Bruins in any of the 6 third periods. If you think such a third period domination like that isn't a sign of fatigue all I can do is laugh at you.

Then laugh away. There were no signs of a tired team in game. As I said, they outshot them rather handidly 5 on 5.

He only played six games -- stats aren't a good representation of his play. If he plays well in three of those six games, it greatly affects that number. Who's number 2 in GAA? Varlamov, another goalie out in the first round. And it's no coincidence that Craig ###### Anderson beat him out for Save %, and Pascal Leclaire enters at #3 -- both also out in the first round if memory serves correctly.

Now if he finishes Top 3 in those categories after, say, 23 or 24 playoff games, it becomes impressive. Too bad we'll never know, because he gave Boston a few too many freebies. :thumbsup:

The point isn't whether the stats are valid. The point is the over exzageration of him being tired and letting in questionable goal after questionable goal as you pointed out.

You and the others can keep talking about what you saw, or what you feel, but the bottom line is if Torres hits the open net on the power play after Vanek is hurt, the Sabres go up 3-0 and likely end up winning the series in 5.

Scotty didn't "evaluate" the season that way. The whole point of the 10 game segments was as a motivational tool knowing that you can't win them all but hoping to maintain consistency throughout the season by having winning records each ten game segment.

Show me one quote were Scotty said I knew we would win the Cup because we won more 10 game segments then they did. On the other hand I can show you dozens of quotes by him in support of Lindy Ruff who you would like to see run out of town. You going to tell Scotty he is wrong?

Not that I am disagreeing with you tom.

But in all honesty, I am a fan, so are you, so is PA, DeLuca and other dissenting opinions on this board and many others, who is going to tell the dissenters they are wrong? Considering they foot a portion of the bill to keep this franchise in the quest for a Stanley Cup.

I don't believe that is the way to approach this and I've come to expect the "take the high ground" approach from you. :thumbsup:

Thats a good thing.

But to the point at hand, the top 6 or, as I have come to call them, the scoring core.

Can we atleast agree on a few points here.

Chemistry is critical for a lines success. Example: Getzlaf and Perry, or Stempniak and Wolski and so on.

It doesn't gaurentee a Cup, but it does help. Roy and Vanek sure could use a RWer to achieve this, but, Zherdeve may or may not of been that guy, I think the point is we will never know.

Individual skill or talent sets. Stafford vs Zherdev. I'll take Zherdev basing it on what he received for a 1 year contract and what Stafford actually has done with our top line on the ice. This I put squarely at the feet of both Ruff and Regier. Stafford has had 3 seasons to show what he can do playing with them, it just hasn't worked.

Young talent up and coming. Well, who do we put with Vanek and Roy? Ennis? Gerbe? I don't see any forward talent other than them 2 ready to come up from Portland. This is just an opinion, I very well could be proven wrong come training camp, but as of right now, Vanek and Roy need a RWer that can step in and contribute.

For Regier to say we have enough offense is a half truth. I don't doubt this team can score, I highly doubt they have a line that has found the chemistry to have a "CLUTCH SCORER" on it. Hecht-Connolly-Pomminstein? Notta. Vanek-Roy-? (mostly Stafford)? Nope?

If you look at this past seasons playoff series defeat, it had less to do with the defensive side of the game and more to do with inept offense. As a manager or coach of a team, you simply cannot blame special teams play alone. If your team was a serious contender for the cup, you should be able to over come those weak points in your team with some very strong and successful even strength play.

The outcome of that series proved that this team needs clutch players, especially if the game play was to ride Miller and the D to contention.

The point isn't whether the stats are valid. The point is the over exzageration of him being tired and letting in questionable goal after questionable goal as you pointed out.

You and the others can keep talking about what you saw, or what you feel, but the bottom line is if Torres hits the open net on the power play after Vanek is hurt, the Sabres go up 3-0 and likely end up winning the series in 5.

If... the loser's lament.

At this rate TW will have the Sabres as being in the finals last season. Is this where we are now? Posters trying to re-write the ending of the season in hope that it gives the regular season meaning?

Whose re-writing history? The team won the division and yet it doesn't count in your eyes because of a 6 game sample.

I want to win as much as anyone but I thoroughly enjoyed the improvement of the regular season and while again I will be disappointed if no changes are made to the top 6 or a power play QB brought in, I will agin expect them to compete for the division all the while listening to you say it doesn't count.

From TSN: "Zherdev played five seasons in the NHL, four with the Columbus Blue Jackets and one with the New York Rangers. He left the NHL following the 2008-09 campaign to play for Atlant-Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League after the Rangers refused an arbitrator's award."

The freaking Rangers refused to pay him (they pay EVERYBODY!), and we're upset? The best the guy could do was a one-year deal? His NHL stats are up-and-down; several folks have mentioned that he's a floater, and we don't even know why he's on this side of the Atlantic rather than the other side, where he seemed so comfortable to go just a couple of years ago. For all we know, he's the Stafford of the KHL.

This guy is going to have one decent year. One, at best. Then he'll sign somewhere else (C-bus again?), make money, and suck. Forget him. The more I read, the happier I am that he's a Flyer and not a Sabre, not that I was that excited to begin with.

1, For all we know, he may completely surprise everyone and turn his career around for the next few years - but I doubt it.

2, I certainly didn't lose any sleep over Zherdev. I just had that instict (along with a few other fans) that he wasn't coming here.

3, I could be wrong, but I don't expect the Broad Street Beavers to make another Cup run next year like they did this past season.

Archived