Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

Yet they were part of the Eastern Bloc? Maybe it should have been called the Eastern/Central Bloc?

East Germany was; West Germany was not. Czechoslovakia was, but Slovakia has tried very hard to distance itself from it's former Communist union (well, until the last couple years when the union, itself, became a democratic republic) and the rest of the former Eastern Bloc.

LA had the pick before them (I think that they got it from Edmonton originally) and the story goes like this: LA had another team below the Sabres looking to move up to the #12 spot for the defenseman that they didn't want (turns out that it was Myers, but Teubert was the other similarly rated, though differently-styled, defenseman), Darcy offered a third-round pick from last year to move up instead and LA accepted with one condition. They both wrote the defenseman that they wanted on sheets of paper (apparently, they did the same with the other team, first.) If they wanted the same player, then the trade wouldn't go through and LA would trade with the other team; otherwise, the Sabres would move up and both teams would get the defenseman that they wanted. So, had they not traded up, another team would have gotten Myers. I'll see if I can find a source, but I remember hearing that story.

Thank you...that was interesting.

Both Team 990 and now WGR have reported and confirmed the rumor that Buffalo is indeed after Zherdev. The number stands at 4 million dollars to bring him in for 4 seasons.

No comments on what Darcy has offered, only what Zherdev would like, but an offer was made.

This is only speculation now, it only needs to be confirmed and sounds like it will be within a couple of days or so. The Buffalo Sabres are shopping Stafford and one of Butler or Sekera. The return they are looking for or player(s) they are targeting are not yet known.

East Germany was; West Germany was not. Czechoslovakia was, but Slovakia has tried very hard to distance itself from it's former Communist union (well, until the last couple years when the union, itself, became a democratic republic) and the rest of the former Eastern Bloc.

Do you know where their birth homes were compared to the center line? :lol:

Both Team 990 and now WGR have reported and confirmed the rumor that Buffalo is indeed after Zherdev. The number stands at 4 million dollars to bring him in for 4 seasons.

No comments on what Darcy has offered, only what Zherdev would like, but an offer was made.

This is only speculation now, it only needs to be confirmed and sounds like it will be within a couple of days or so. The Buffalo Sabres are shopping Stafford and one of Butler or Sekera. The return they are looking for or player(s) they are targeting are not yet known.

Was it PJ Stock again? :lol:

I don't think Pissick is the better player. Reports on him include words like "soft" and "has limited upside".

Tinordi is reputed to be a leader - something the Sabres sorely need.

Aside from which, Montreal didn't jump ahead of us to take Pissick, did they?

Reports on Tinordi also include the word "Project."

Pysyk was also rated higher according to NHL Central Scouting (#7 NAS vs. #38 NAS), International Scouting Services (#17 vs #25), The Hockey News (#6 vs #22) and TSN via Bob McKenzie (#20 vs. #23).

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=24944

I do however respect your position and have enjoyed the debate.

Pysyk was also rated higher according to NHL Central Scouting (#7 NAS vs. #38 NAS), International Scouting Services (#17 vs #25), The Hockey News (#6 vs #22) and TSN via Bob McKenzie (#20 vs. #23).

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=24944

But he's big and that's all that matters in player analysis around here.

I'm not a fan of Zherdev, seems as though he's just more of what they have already. Skilled but soft and doesn't show up when it counts. Also 4 years at $4 million seems steep.

What type of return can a Butler/Stafford get?

Bobby Ryan would be the real prize here. Zherdev would be nice too...a 1-2 approach to remaking the stagnant offense...like the Celtics did a few years back getting Garnett and ray allen all at once.

First off Ryan isn't going anywhere especially here, second of all comparing Ryan and Zherdev to possible hall of famers is just plain irresponsible.

Can someone please tell me if the "reported" offer is 4 million per season or 4 million for the entire deal? No way they should pay him 4 per year.

According to Atlant's web site, his agent is seeking 4 mil per season for 4 seasons.

Take it with a grain of salt. There is a tweet out there as well from a guy who follows the KHL and has decent in roads for information, he is stating the same.

How serious are the Sabres? I have no clue ink, I can't see Darcy allowing 4 mil for 4 years on the guy.

I'd like to see McKenzie or Dregers take on this with detail.

How serious are the Sabres? I have no clue ink, I can't see Darcy allowing 4 mil for 4 years on the guy.

I'll borrow Spector's take (with slight modification):

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Seriously, folks, does anyone really see Zherdev, a one-dimensional forward for whom backchecking is a foreign concept, being the type of player Leafs Sabres GM Brian Burke Darcy Regeir would be interested in?

I'll borrow Spector's take (with slight modification):

id say sign him. the 4 mill is a little steep, but i wouldnt mind seeing some new blood on this team and he has pretty good upside. he was picked 4th overall a few years back. and who cares if he doesnt back check the proble right now is that the sabres arent scoring when they need to. do whatever it takes to get this offense rollin sign zherdev, ryan and frolov.

First off Ryan isn't going anywhere especially here, second of all comparing Ryan and Zherdev to possible hall of famers is just plain irresponsible.

There are persistent rumors saying that Ryan can be had for two #1s and a #2 and he has negotiating problems with the Ducks. http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2939:offseason-musings-part-i&catid=14:jeff-angus&Itemid=102

Plus, if the negotiations go badly, maybe they'd want to trade him to the "Siberia" of the nHL.

About the HOF, point well taken Inkman.

There are persistent rumors saying that Ryan can be had for two #1s and a #2 and he has negotiating problems with the Ducks. http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2939:offseason-musings-part-i&catid=14:jeff-angus&Itemid=102

Plus, if the negotiations go badly, maybe they'd want to trade him to the "Siberia" of the nHL.

That might not be a bad deal if we can recoup those picks by trading Stafford & Gerbe (and dare I say it, Connolly?) to other teams.

what exactly did WGR say? Just that a rumor was circulating about Zherdev? Or that their sources confirmed that the Sabres have made an offer to him?

the 2nd bolded part sounds like Eklund. No kidding the Sabres would trade any of those guys for the right return.

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=24944

I do however respect your position and have enjoyed the debate.

Good post.

I'm not a fan of Zherdev, seems as though he's just more of what they have already. Skilled but soft and doesn't show up when it counts. Also 4 years at $4 million seems steep.

What type of return can a Butler/Stafford get?

I think Butler plus Stafford gets a potentially pretty good player back. Not an established good player.

Can someone please tell me if the "reported" offer is 4 million per season or 4 million for the entire deal? No way they should pay him 4 per year.

I could live with it for one year or maybe, maybe even 2, but no longer than that.

Bobby Ryan would be the real prize here. Zherdev would be nice too...a 1-2 approach to remaking the stagnant offense...like the Celtics did a few years back getting Garnett and ray allen all at once.

Bobby Ryan is exactly the kind of situation -- like Pronger last year, where a good player needs to be traded for contract/financial reasons -- that DR needs to be in the mix on. And if the Sabres picked up both of them -- well, it's not going to happen, but it would be pretty awesome.

According to Atlant's web site, his agent is seeking 4 mil per season for 4 seasons.

Take it with a grain of salt. There is a tweet out there as well from a guy who follows the KHL and has decent in roads for information, he is stating the same.

Good post.

There are persistent rumors saying that Ryan can be had for two #1s and a #2 and he has negotiating problems with the Ducks. http://www.dobberhoc...ngus&Itemid=102

Another good one.

I wonder if they would take Stafford, a #1 and a #2?

To nfreeman:

The only that was said on WGR was this afternoon that the rumor had been confirmed, and not by the Sabres but by the KHL team Atlant. Zherdev's agent put a statement as well and stated they will see where this stands toward the end of this week or give it a week or something to that affect.

As for the speculation, that was thrown in as speculation by WGR. Paul Hamilton is the beat repoter for the station, so I would think he would be reporting this for WGR. Once again nfreeman, take it with a grain of salt, but, atleast its something to talk about.

As for the 1st, 2nd and Stafford for B. Ryan, wouldn't that be great. I would give them an extra 2nd if it was called for. B. Ryan is worth it IMHO.

Buffalo is the Siberia of the NHL now? Really?

Edmonton?

Archived