[OT] What is Darcy doing right now?

korab rules

Darcy was talking about the opportunity that is being presented to him and the Sabres.

He said it was an opportunity that had to be "responsibly seized."

This poor guy has had responsibility (read: be careful with the money) beaten into him so much in 13 plus years, you wonder if he's going to be able to shake it out... and just seize the opportunity.

Screw responsibility!

Darcy was talking about the opportunity that is being presented to him and the Sabres.

He said it was an opportunity that had to be "responsibly seized."

This poor guy has had responsibility (read: be careful with the money) beaten into him so much in 13 plus years, you wonder if he's going to be able to shake it out... and just seize the opportunity.

Screw responsibility!

Agreed! Spend like a drunken lottery winner! Give away a tin man center! Go crazy Darcy!

Darcy is considering taping cardboard over his office door's window, as that Ted Black guy keeps walking by and looking in on him. He is afraid that one of these times Ted will catch him playing with his finger puppets.

"Just break even, Darcy!" says the TG finger puppet.

"Drury wants too much money - he won't go anywhere!" says the LQ finger puppet.

"ROB Niedermayer? I said SCOTT you idiot!" says the LR finger puppet.

And Darcy's thumb slips unconsciously back into his mouth...

Darcy is considering taping cardboard over his office door's window, as that Ted Black guy keeps walking by and looking in on him. He is afraid that one of these times Ted will catch him playing with his finger puppets.

:lol:

Do you imagine he's got a big hockey helmet?

Darcy Helmet: "So princess Vespa, I have you in my clutches."

at this point, I imagine the LQ puppet squarely in the middle of the waste bin, with the DR puppet telling it to put the lotion in the basket.

at this point, I imagine the LQ puppet squarely in the middle of the waste bin, with the DR puppet telling it to put the lotion in the basket.

Classic........ :thumbsup:

I figure Darcy is picking out the boarder design for the new carpet he's going to be getting in his office, I don't think he had the Sabres logo put on the carpet though, I would imagine it has the Dollar Store or Save-Alot emblems on it.

I know a lot (or all) of us are discouraged by Pegula not firing Darcy Regier during his press conference. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Sabres were the 8th seed in 1999 and traded Mike Wilson, Matthew Barnaby, and Derek Plante for Stu Barnes, Rhet Warrener, and Joe Juneau. I know John Muckler built the team in years prior, but Regier made deadline day trades that made a real difference to a team in similar position (standings wise). I am not a Regier fan by any means, but I'd rather see him go into the trade deadline than have the team looking for a GM at the trade deadline. That is a no-brainer.

I agree. I feel sorry for the fans who expected him to come in and immediately clean house... fire Regier and Ruff, trade Connolly and Pominville, bring in a first line center, all on the on the first day? Not going to happen, but you'd swear that's what was expected by some fans.

To follow up on that though, I don't think it would make much of a difference who our GM is, because I just personally don't expect any significant roster changes by Tuesday.

I agree. I feel sorry for the fans who expected him to come in and immediately clean house... fire Regier and Ruff, trade Connolly and Pominville, bring in a first line center, all on the on the first day? Not going to happen, but you'd swear that's what was expected by some fans.

To follow up on that though, I don't think it would make much of a difference who our GM is, because I just personally don't expect any significant roster changes by Tuesday.

But Darcy is capable of doing something meaningful at the deadline. Maybe he never called back the other GMs because he was too embarrassed to tell them daddy and mommy said he wasn't allowed to come out and play

Exactly. We've learned so much from this experience and this is one of them. On other forums, people honestly expected him to fire Darcy AND announce a trade at the conference. To go a bit further, some people were hoping that they would start buying out players, like Hecht, Niedermayer and Rivet. Like seriously? Firing anybody now, buying out players, would be a terrible business move and it'd be the furthest thing from his preach to make Buffalo a hockey destination and a family type atmosphere.

But does the Sabres being pretty much silent at the deadline the past 5 years say more about Regier or Golisano and Quinn?

Who knows? But, who really cares? I don't expect much by Monday. I could see us become some kind of sellers if our next two games don't go well, but i could also see them aim for a good player who can help us this year and next, like a J.M. Liles. But, what we do now, at the draft and July 1st, we'll get the answer to that question.

My guess is, we'll be quiet prior to the deadline, but very busy in the off-season.

I know a lot (or all) of us are discouraged by Pegula not firing Darcy Regier during his press conference. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Sabres were the 8th seed in 1999 and traded Mike Wilson, Matthew Barnaby, and Derek Plante for Stu Barnes, Rhet Warrener, and Joe Juneau. I know John Muckler built the team in years prior, but Regier made deadline day trades that made a real difference to a team in similar position (standings wise). I am not a Regier fan by any means, but I'd rather see him go into the trade deadline than have the team looking for a GM at the trade deadline. That is a no-brainer.

To Whom much is given much is required.

That is one statement that Terry made that sums it up for me.

I recently listened to Jerry Sullivan's sensational comments regarding Terry as being goofy, etc.

In my opinion Jerry is the one who wasn't listening to Terry's press conference.

In my opinion Terry is no dummy; what part of Terry's vision does Jerry not understand.

To Whom much is given much is required.

I do not believe this man will be swayed from his goal of bringing the Stanely Cup to Buffalo.

If that means giving Darcy and Lindy enough rope to hang themselves then he satisfy's everyone:

If Darcy and Lindy don't hang themselves pro Lindy and Darcy fans are happy and Terry is the hero; if they do hang themselves then it's thier fault and it will be evident and it is very likely they will be buried along with anyone else who does not perform.

Captain Craig Rivet knows about that.

I have been critical of Darcy; however, Terry's no panic approach makes sense.

He understands relationships formed cannot easily be broken; moreover, sometimes by aggressively ripping out a big handful of weeds one may end up taking the good crops with them.

It's all about a smooth transition.

I do not believe Terry will be shy about making hard decisions.

As far as Sullivan's comments that Terry does not seem very savvy, wow.

Jerry let me know when you make your first billion and then maybe I will listen to your convoluted crap.

Those deadline deals pushed us to the Stanley Cup. Remember, Regier was a great GM, possibly top 3 in the league during the pre-scandal Rigas years. He sucked during bankruptcy and after Golisano reeled in the checkbook. Maybe it was Regier who sucked badly, but I'll give anyone a second chance with a blank check who could parlay Mike Wilson into Stu Barnes.

Even though its been something like 13 years, please keep score.

Regier turned this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdBNXCzVOVA

Into this:

I know there's lots of years of futility, but Regier once was a master at making a deal and ripping off other teams. Maybe he can be part of the solution rather than one of the problems.

For awhile Regier seemed to be good at relieving teams of good talent. But remember, that was the no salary cap era. Darcy has yet to show me that he can succeed with a team built around the rules of the salary cap.

And for those who will jump in and mention the 1st year out of the lockout, I say "luck". No way they could have planned for the changes that were made. Those players were signed before the lockout occurred. The rules that were implemented favoring that team happened many months after the players were signed.

Color me cautiously optimistc. Very cautiously.

Archived