Trades that actually happened

spndnchz

That's such a strange technicality. If it was July already, a good number of those 50 contracts will have expired already and there would be no need to make another move. If those draft picks weren't involved, they could just wait a couple days until the deals expire.

That is true, and I'm sure its only a technicality, but its a rule I guess, so they will either make them wait til the 1st to announce the deal, or make them unload some contracts (maybe cut some potential FA's loose early?)

Nope, we are just used to the "welfare Christmas" that is the Buffalo sabres offseason. Almost every other team around the league gets some shiney new toys in the offseason, why Regier and the Sabres give us Bargain Bin/Blue Light Special sox and underwear and tell us we are better off then our "friends" because they overpaid for their new toys

Somewhere along the line, the way Regier operates changed, which means it can change again. I'm not going to assume the same exact offseason as the last couple because then there is absolutely no point of paying attention to this offseason at all. And for the record, you're not one of the people I was referring to. You actually present your thoughts in a mostly rational way.

That is true, and I'm sure its only a technicality, but its a rule I guess, so they will either make them wait til the 1st to announce the deal, or make them unload some contracts (maybe cut some potential FA's loose early?)

There is no way of cutting lose an impending FA though, short of trading them away. They could buy out someone with time remaining on his contract, but you can't buyout someone who was already been paid in full. Their other option would be to talk it over with Chicago and have them pick the guys Atlanta wants when those picks come up, then make the trade official July 1. Chicago could potentially screw them over though and back out on the deal.

They'll figure something out though, but this is kind of an entertaining possibility to entertain... well, it is to me anyway.

Thursday, June 24th.

Will Darcy give us something to talk about in this thread today?

Didn't he promise us some deals when he spoke after the trade deadline? Wasn't it supposed to be easier to make those impact deals in the off-season? Well, we're waiting. Byfuglien could have been a nice addition. If the Sabres go into next season with basically the same team, it's gonna be ugly.

PTR

So how about we actually wait and see if he does absolutely nothing this offseason again before we actually crucify him for doing nothing this offseason. Are you people so miserable that you have to preemptively whine and complain now?

And I don't mean to direct that at you with that "you people" since you just started posting here. The people I'm saying it to know exactly who they are.

When Regier sits back and does nothing for years he doesn't get or deserve the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't earned that level of respect. This is still the same team that in non-Hasek years has missed the playoffs under this management more then they have made. Regier deserves every bit of criticism and skepticism heaped on him. He is out of wait and see cards. This front office is solely responsible for turning the off-season, once a time of great hope for area hockey fans, into a dismal time where Sabre fans are stuck on the sidelines while other teams use free agency and trades to get better. "Wellfare Christmas" indeed.

When Regier sits back and does nothing for years he doesn't get or deserve the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't earned that level of respect. This is still the same team that in non-Hasek years has missed the playoffs under this management more then they have made. Regier deserves every bit of criticism and skepticism heaped on him. He is out of wait and see cards. This front office is solely responsible for turning the off-season, once a time of great hope for area hockey fans, into a dismal time where Sabre fans are stuck on the sidelines while other teams use free agency and trades to get better. "Wellfare Christmas" indeed.

There are quite a few teams that try to get better with these methods but end up getting worse. DR's job is not to get the fans fired up with splashy moves -- it's to build a consistent winner.

I agree though that based on recent history it's hard to be confident that DR will make moves this summer to bring in impact players.

There are quite a few teams that try to get better with these methods but end up getting worse.

Try. That's the key word here. It doesn't look like he's trying. A tweek here and a tweek there is not trying.

DR's job is not to get the fans fired up with splashy moves -- it's to build a consistent winner. I agree though that based on recent history it's hard to be confident that DR will make moves this summer to bring in impact players.

How about trying to just build a winner, let alone a consistent one. And you say that like he's been successful at it. Splashy move, star players win. When we had one, we won consistently.

I actually agree with most of this except the "non-Hasek" years. You can't decide which years count and which don't. Tell me a team that wins without star players.

I understand the skepticism and the negativity even though I don't agree with it and see things on an upswing. However, this is the off season that tips the scales for me. If he gets nothing of "significance" done, all bets are off.

Try. That's the key word here. It doesn't look like he's trying. A tweek here and a tweek there is not trying.

How about trying to just build a winner, let alone a consistent one. And you say that like he's been successful at it. Splashy move, star players win. When we had one, we won consistently.

A failure to make splashy moves does not equate to not trying. If a GM believes that the team he has is more likely to win via tweaks (not "tweeks," btw) than via splashy moves, then tweaks = trying and splashy moves = trying to do something besides winning.

DR has been successful at building a winning team. Do you not think the various external factors that have afflicted this franchise during his tenure have materially harmed the teams he built?

A failure to make splashy moves does not equate to not trying. If a GM believes that the team he has is more likely to win via tweaks (not "tweeks," btw) than via splashy moves, then tweaks = trying and splashy moves = trying to do something besides winning.

DR has been successful at building a winning team. Do you not think the various external factors that have afflicted this franchise during his tenure have materially harmed the teams he built?

It's kinda hard to hear you, this time because of the loud violin music. The fact that DR believes that the team he has is more likely to win via tweaks than splashy moves is exactly what we are complaining about.

I'm sorry, but if the Sabres were so good this year (as everyone has pointed out because they won the division) then why was his big push into the playoffs Raffi Torres? Oh, I forgot about moving Mac and a guy in Portland for picks.

If he keeps planning to win in the future he'll never win now.

It's kinda hard to hear you, this time because of the loud violin music. The fact that DR believes that the team he has is more likely to win via tweaks than splashy moves is exactly what we are complaining about.

I'm sorry, but if the Sabres were so good this year (as everyone has pointed out because they won the division) then why was his big push into the playoffs Raffi Torres? Oh, I forgot about moving Mac and a guy in Portland for picks.

I fully agree with this statement nfreeman.

Its not as though he hasn't had opportunities in the past 3 seasons to make some foundational moves. He chose to see what his current roster could do with some minor tweaks at the deadlines and in the off season. These are proven failures, no Stanley Cup Banners in HSBC Arena last time I checked.

No, I am going with SwampD and DeLuca on my feelings about Regier.

That being said, I don't discount what you feel as well. There very well may be no splashy deals to be had no matter what Darcy throws at another organization.

This being a possibility, I have to figure Darcy should be fired and another GM installed that can accomplish that task, "IF" thats what is needed. And thats a big if.

I completely agree with you here. I saw Darcy at a local store once. I walked over and talked with him for a few minutes. He struck me as a very intense, quiet, conservative person. My impression was that he cared very much about the team but never makes a move without due consideration. He would rather not make a move than to take a risk.

My impressions seem to match his demeanor in running the Sabres. I truly believe he is trying his best and you have to acknowledge the team's recovery since Quinn let Briere and Drury go. He will build a winner...steady and slow...but can he build a Cup champion?

That is the $64,000,000 quesion.

Well, I certainly agree with the bolded statement.

As for DR believing his team needs tweaks and not splashy moves -- I'm fine with you and other fans disagreeing in this approach. Frankly, I also think a real move is needed this summer. My point was simply that DR having this belief is not the same as "not trying." It's just a different approach to the goal that all of us have.

As for Torres -- I don't think it's fair to say that this move was "not trying." It was generally regarded around the NHL as a pretty good deadline pickup. It just didn't work out because Torres wasn't as good as we (and DR and LR) were hoping. It's fair to criticize DR for overestimating how good Torres would be, but again, that pickup didn't mean he was "not trying."

I fully agree with this statement nfreeman.

Its not as though he hasn't had opportunities in the past 3 seasons to make some foundational moves. He chose to see what his current roster could do with some minor tweaks at the deadlines and in the off season. These are proven failures, no Stanley Cup Banners in HSBC Arena last time I checked.

No, I am going with SwampD and DeLuca on my feelings about Regier.

That being said, I don't discount what you feel as well. There very well may be no splashy deals to be had no matter what Darcy throws at another organization.

This being a possibility, I have to figure Darcy should be fired and another GM installed that can accomplish that task, "IF" thats what is needed. And thats a big if.

I agree with the bolded statement, although I think DR has only really been in charge for the last 2 seasons (ie since the summer of 2008), and that the team has steadily improved since then. I also agree with the idea that it's generally fair to hold DR accountable for the team's results, including the results of his "build from within" approach as opposed to the "splashy move" approach.

On balance I am glad they brought him back for another year, although I also would have been OK if they fired him. I think he needs to bring in an impact player at forward this summer. If it doesn't happen, and other teams are able to do so (and I wouldn't put Byfuglien, or any other forward who has changed teams yet, in that category), I will criticize him plenty.

The Sharks will probably cut back on their available cap space quite a bit with those two deals. I wonder if they'll actually had the reigns over to Greiss or if they'll find a way to add a veteran presence between the pipes.

It looks like they are around 36 mil in cap space for their top 6 contracts(Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe & Boyle) and all but one are forwards.

Well, I certainly agree with the bolded statement.

As for DR believing his team needs tweaks and not splashy moves -- I'm fine with you and other fans disagreeing in this approach. Frankly, I also think a real move is needed this summer. My point was simply that DR having this belief is not the same as "not trying." It's just a different approach to the goal that all of us have.

As for Torres -- I don't think it's fair to say that this move was "not trying." It was generally regarded around the NHL as a pretty good deadline pickup. It just didn't work out because Torres wasn't as good as we (and DR and LR) were hoping. It's fair to criticize DR for overestimating how good Torres would be, but again, that pickup didn't mean he was "not trying."

I agree with the bolded statement, although I think DR has only really been in charge for the last 2 seasons (ie since the summer of 2008), and that the team has steadily improved since then. I also agree with the idea that it's generally fair to hold DR accountable for the team's results, including the results of his "build from within" approach as opposed to the "splashy move" approach.

On balance I am glad they brought him back for another year, although I also would have been OK if they fired him. I think he needs to bring in an impact player at forward this summer. If it doesn't happen, and other teams are able to do so (and I wouldn't put Byfuglien, or any other forward who has changed teams yet, in that category), I will criticize him plenty.

The problem is that DR still runs the team like he is under all those [supposed] constraints of the past. There's a cap now. Everyone spends the same (and our owner has). Why can't he just get a guy that we know is good? Why are all his moves lateral, leaveing us to hope he's good?

The problem is that DR still runs the team like he is under all those [supposed] constraints of the past. There's a cap now. Everyone spends the same (and our owner has). Why can't he just get a guy that we know is good? Why are all his moves lateral, leaveing us to hope he's good?

Do you mean why doesn't he go out and sign a $7MM UFA? I think the answer is that doing so means you have to make sacrifices elsewhere, which disrupts the team you are trying to build organically. In the summers of 2008 and 2009, I think DR felt that the sacrifices weren't worth the gain. (And when you look at the big UFAs from 2009, he was probably right -- Bouwmeester and Havlat have been washouts, Hossa wasn't going to come to Buffalo, and Gaborik had a great season but got hurt again and was useless down the stretch).

I'd guess the same is true regarding the trade market -- very few really good players are put on the trade market, fewer still don't have NTCs (and those with NTCs don't waive them to come to Buffalo), and DR didn't want to disrupt the team he was building by giving up a lot in exchange for a really good player.

I think he's now accepted that the team he's building has flaws at forward that need to be addressed, and that some of the guys he's relied on to grow into leadership roles aren't going to do so -- and this in turn will enable him to trade assets to address these flaws. I don't think he's going to start trading guys for the sake of "blowing it up," but if there is a good forward available in trade, he will sacrifice assets to get him.

This actually could help Buffalo move Connolly. Lot of teams looking for a #1 center and as much as we bash him, myself included, there is a market for a player with his skill set.

The trick is in trying to find one.

It looks like they are around 36 mil in cap space for their top 6 contracts(Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe & Boyle) and all but one are forwards.

Thye've got 9.6 mill in cap space left and still need 4 forwards, 2 dmen and a goalie. Jeesh. Most likely means that some or most of their UFA's are goin' bye bye. Any takers?

G Nabokov, Evgeni »UFA - $5.4m D Wallin, Niclas »UFA - $1.7m F Nichol, Scott »UFA - $0.8m F Malhotra, Manny »UFA - $0.7m F Ortmeyer, Jed »UFA - $0.6m F Vesce, Ryan »UFA - $0.6m F Sterling, Brett »UFA - $0.5m D Groulx, Danny »UFA - $0.5m D Callahan, Joe »UFA - $0.5m G Doyle, Frank »UFA - $0.5m F Helminen, Dwight »UFA - $0.5m D Leach, Jay »UFA - $0.5m

Archived