Trades that actually happened

spndnchz

It's funny that you would consider Burke a "blowhard." Is that because he has personality, speaks his mind and has a real passion for the sport? In other words, he is the exact opposite of Regier.

Trying to figure out the genius label. He won the Cup with Anaheim but with a team largely built before he got there. The rest of his career has been about big expectations, little results.

If Reiger made the Kessel trade, especially with how it went down, you would have skewered him.

Trying to figure out the genius label. He won the Cup with Anaheim but with a team largely built before he got there. The rest of his career has been about big expectations, little results.

If Reiger made the Kessel trade, especially with how it went down, you would have skewered him.

I won't deny that Burke did not have to tear it apart and rebuild it in Anaheim. His stint in Vancouver has reaped that team some great talent (See: Sedin Brothers), even in Anaheim, he still had to put the remaining 3 or 4 pieces in place.

I will say Kessel is worth every bit of what Burke gave. I wasn't a fan of the Phanuef trade, and I would keep Kaberle until his contract is up to remain somewhat more competitive this next season.

I see Burke making small moves as well and I do not believe he sits idle in FA. If not this season, than next season, Kessel gets a prime line mate to play with.

Whether or not Burkes plan works still remains to be seen, but by no means do I see him sitting idle or pursuing bad decisions. He completely appears to be doing his job and building a potential winner, one piece at a time.

He's a 2-time 40-goal scorer in his 1st 5 years in the NHL, plus a 30-goal season. Guys like that come along much less often than once every 4 first-round picks.

Maybe DR has just as much passion as Burke, but a different style of communicating.

That you need to say "maybe" is telling. I'm sure even a Dick Jouron had some passion for the NFL it's just about different degrees of passion.

I was all for Kessel coming to Buffalo and I am not of the opinion that Burke lost that trade. Kessel is a 22 year old proven NHL commodity. Boston in return got a kid with a ton of potential. As you have pointed out several times the NHL draft is crap shoot and there is no guarantee that Tyler Seguin will even reach the level of play in the NHL that Kessel has let alone surpass it.

When Brian Burke is your GM you can rest assured that if there is a possibility of a move is available to improve his hockey club Burke will be all over it. Burke gives you confidence that your team is in the game. That he is in their battling it out with other GM's working deals and checking out every possible scenario. With Regier as my GM I get the feeling that he is happy to remain on the sidelines. If a move or trade is presented to him he will consider it. I know neither is 100% accurate. I just can't help feel that way.

I was all for Kessel coming to Buffalo and I am not of the opinion that Burke lost that trade. Kessel is a 22 year old proven NHL commodity. Boston in return got a kid with a ton of potential. As you have pointed out several times the NHL draft is crap shoot and there is no guarantee that Tyler Seguin will even reach the level of play in the NHL that Kessel has let alone surpass it.

When Brian Burke is your GM you can rest assured that if there is a possibility of a move is available to improve his hockey club Burke will be all over it. Burke gives you confidence that your team is in the game. That he is in their battling it out with other GM's working deals and checking out every possible scenario. With Regier as my GM I get the feeling that he is happy to remain on the sidelines. If a move or trade is presented to him he will consider it. I know neither is 100% accurate. I just can't help feel that way.

I actually agree with most of that, but he gave way too much for Kessell given the state of ihs team.

I actually agree with most of that, but he gave way too much for Kessell given the state of ihs team.

Sometimes when you want to dance you need to pay the band, even if the price may seem steep. There were not many 22 year old players with the skill level of Kessel available last season. He paid the price needed to get the trade done.

Sometimes when you want to dance you need to pay the band, even if the price may seem steep. There were not many 22 year old players with the skill level of Kessel available last season. He paid the price needed to get the trade done.

A franchise like Toronto, with its money, can always find a scorer. They needed to add depth. For Burke to say on National Television that he was fooled by the team's preseason record is a joke.

On the other hand, I was with you that the Sabres should have been in on Kessel and we don't know they weren't but the best they could have done was match Toronto's offer and Boston would have still took the picks from Toronto.

I find Burke a bit of a blowhard too, but he signed Scott Niedermayer as a UFA (and his brother) AND he swung the trade for Pronger (which was a gift from heaven, but he still beat a few other teams out for the trade). Those 2 guys gave the Ducks the cup.

That you need to say "maybe" is telling. I'm sure even a Dick Jouron had some passion for the NFL it's just about different degrees of passion.

I was using "maybe" rhetorically. Louder doesn't equal more passionate.

I was all for Kessel coming to Buffalo and I am not of the opinion that Burke lost that trade.

This position is not defensible.

Correct.

On the other hand, I was with you that the Sabres should have been in on Kessel and we don't know they weren't but the best they could have done was match Toronto's offer and Boston would have still took the picks from Toronto.

Well, they could've offered more -- 2 firsts and 2 seconds, say. That would've been a lot to give up for a guy who seems like a bit of a head case/prima donna. I can definitely see Kessel scoring 30+ every year for a long time though.

Kessel isn't worth 2 first round picks. Especially 2 firsts from a team that was clearly going to finish in the basement or near the basement based on their roster. It did'nt take a genius to figure that out and most of the commentators in the media that were'nt afraid of Burkes wrath said so at the time. Kessel isn't the type of player to elevate a team like the leafs by himself. In hindsight(or about 3 or 4 seasons) Chiarelli will look like a genius and Burke like a fool.

The bolded text can describe Darcy, as well......

The constant talk from leafs fans is that they were the winners in that deal cause Kessel is so young and "could" become a 40-60 goal scorer. They say that he is better then Sequin so its better that they got Kessel, and they say that Sequin is overrated due to a weak draft class. But you have to look at the whole deal, even if Sequin is just half as good as kessel, the Bruins still have 2 more players they can pick to replace him.

I think burke overpaid for him, his best productivity came when he played with Savard, and theres just as much of a guarantee that Boston got a better player in Sequin as the Leafs are to find someone who can replicate what Savard did for Kessel

The constant talk from leafs fans is that they were the winners in that deal cause Kessel is so young and "could" become a 40-60 goal scorer. They say that he is better then Sequin so its better that they got Kessel, and they say that Sequin is overrated due to a weak draft class. But you have to look at the whole deal, even if Sequin is just half as good as kessel, the Bruins still have 2 more players they can pick to replace him.

I think burke overpaid for him, his best productivity came when he played with Savard, and theres just as much of a guarantee that Boston got a better player in Sequin as the Leafs are to find someone who can replicate what Savard did for Kessel

40-60 goals? uhh no.

Kessel isn't worth 2 first round picks. Especially 2 firsts from a team that was clearly going to finish in the basement or near the basement based on their roster. It did'nt take a genius to figure that out and most of the commentators in the media that were'nt afraid of Burkes wrath said so at the time. Kessel isn't the type of player to elevate a team like the leafs by himself. In hindsight(or about 3 or 4 seasons) Chiarelli will look like a genius and Burke like a fool.

You do realize he is only 22 years old? Say what you want, right now Burke and the Leafs got the best player in the deal. Until one of those draft picks make it to the NHL accomplishes something the trade is in the Leafs favor.

40-60 goals? uhh no.

He scored 36 as a 21 year old. To say he will never score 40+ is asinine. 60? not many players get to that level any more. 50 is well with in this kids reach. He put up 30 this year and had very little established talent around him.

[/b]

He scored 36 as a 21 year old. To say he will never score 40+ is asinine. 60? not many players get to that level any more. 50 is well with in this kids reach. He put up 30 this year and had very little established talent around him.

i dont think he gets above 50 goals.

[/b]

I disagree with you as noted above on who won this trade but you are entirely correct in this post. He also missed quite a bit of time with an injury at the beginning of the year.

Archived