Not sure what to make of Ennis...

SDS

First, anyone who thinks the Sabres are still a "speed" team - needs to watch Ennis skate and then look at how slow everyone else is. Ennis is fast - the rest of our team is very average in the speed category.

But, with all that speed and the nice relentless puck control, it would have been nice if there was some output from that. I mean it was all Swedish, no Finnish.

So, is this guy showing early signs of Brian Holzingeritis or will he be a scoring threat for years to come?

First, anyone who thinks the Sabres are still a "speed" team - needs to watch Ennis skate and then look at how slow everyone else is. Ennis is fast - the rest of our team is very average in the speed category.

But, with all that speed and the nice relentless puck control, it would have been nice if there was some output from that. I mean it was all Swedish, no Finnish.

So, is this guy showing early signs of Brian Holzingeritis or will he be a scoring threat for years to come?

I don't think Holzinger had anywhere near the talent that Ennis has shown glimpses of and IMO he will be a solid 60-70 point guy at the very minimum.. As far as team speed goes, they are not as quick as some people like to make them out to be. I noticed it every time the Sabres played Montreal this year.

Audette, Mogilny, Briere, Pominville........Ennis.

Pickup a franchise center, line him up with Vanek, call it a day.

When the lack of production is rosterwide, I have a hard time blaming the 20 year old. We saw flashes of brilliance and hopefully he builds on that unlike certain other players.

I was just speaking of some chances that he had that he didn't bury... That breakaway effort was all hustle and he didn't even get a shot off.

I'll admit to not being the brightest Xs and Os guys despite watching this for practically my whole life. But, my God, you know it when you see it. We all saw it with Myers and we all should be seeing it in Ennis. He's going to be incredible to watch. My problem is who is going to be coaching these kids.

Although he showed some flashes, its way way way too early to start anointing him or anything.

The fact that he did it on a bigger stage is going to lead to some optimism. Then again, the lack of production from the team as a whole might make his play look better than it was.

I was just speaking of some chances that he had that he didn't bury... That breakaway effort was all hustle and he didn't even get a shot off.

He made a lot of things happen on the ice, and that's more than you can say for the rest of our "top two line" forwards.

I don't think it's crazy to think that he'll improve once he gets used to NHL goalies (and NHL defensemen), and once he finds some linemates that he has some chemistry with. He's 20 years old.

I don't think Holzinger had anywhere near the talent that Ennis has shown glimpses of and IMO he will be a solid 60-70 point guy at the very minimum.. As far as team speed goes, they are not as quick as some people like to make them out to be. I noticed it every time the Sabres played Montreal this year.

I noticed it everytime we played Boston this series. The Bruins were stronger AND quicker IMO....

I'll admit to not being the brightest Xs and Os guys despite watching this for practically my whole life. But, my God, you know it when you see it. We all saw it with Myers and we all should be seeing it in Ennis. He's going to be incredible to watch. My problem is who is going to be coaching these kids.

After watching what Ruff did with Paille, Stafford, and Pominville.....be afraid.

He made a lot of things happen on the ice, and that's more than you can say for the rest of our "top two line" forwards.

I don't think it's crazy to think that he'll improve once he gets used to NHL goalies (and NHL defensemen), and once he finds some linemates that he has some chemistry with. He's 20 years old.

I understand his age. I'm not even saying he needed to score, I was just a little let down that someone with so much puck skill couldn't get some better shots off. I don't know, I just expected more chances to come from that unrelenting hustle of his. No biggie.

I understand his age. I'm not even saying he needed to score, I was just a little let down that someone with so much puck skill couldn't get some better shots off. I don't know, I just expected more chances to come from that unrelenting hustle of his. No biggie.

I haven't seen enough of him yet, but he seems like he's going to be more of a setup guy. The thought of him alongside Vanek nearly has me drooling.

Think of it this way: Everyone says the game is "so much faster" in the NHL compared to the AHL. So Ennis is dealing with goalies, forwards, and defensemen who are all bigger, better, and faster than anything he's ever played against.

The goals aren't going in because a lot of the stuff that worked in the AHL doesn't work in the NHL, and he doesn't have that extra split-second to work with that he did in the minors either (hence, not getting the shots off every time).

The Sabres do have a knack for having forwards come up, get everyone excited, and eventually fizzle out. But so far I like everything I've seen from Ennis.

The fact he HAS the puck skill (and actually takes it to the net, rather than staying along the boards like Max) has me hopefully optimistic that he will be the real deal. There is no doubt in my mind that he gets a regular shift on one of the top 2 lines next year. Would I have liked to have seen him score more, absolutely. But I'm not worried about the fact he didn't.

The fact he HAS the puck skill (and actually takes it to the net, rather than staying along the boards like Max) has me hopefully optimistic that he will be the real deal. There is no doubt in my mind that he gets a regular shift on one of the top 2 lines next year. Would I have liked to have seen him score more, absolutely. But I'm not worried about the fact he didn't.

I can only hope Luke Adam, kassian or anyone over 6' tall with skill is on the team next year.

The thought of Roy, gerbe, ennis, Connolly and pominville (i know the last 2 are listed at 6', but come on) in the top six has me shuddering.

Are you seriously complaining about a rookie who was brought up into the NHL playoffs, and who has almost no previous experience in the NHL yet because he didn't bury a bunch of chances that he had? He was one of the leading point scorers on the team in this series.

Fans are truly sinking to new lows here now.

Lets focus on attacking guys that deserve the blame like Roy, Connolly, Stafford, etc. Veterans who we are all still waiting to show up to the series

he not only showed more speed than anyone else on the roster in this series, he showed more jam.

if the kid can stay healthy, he's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

i've said it before: all hail the second coming of danny briere.

ink is right, though: a top-6 that boasts 3 guys 5'9" or smaller isn't the answer.

Did you ever think that maybe those guys were just over rated by the home fans? And its not like Sabres players are leaving Buffalo and becoming superstars on new teams

Amen. For all the bitching here about what Ruff does to his young players, has any one left and done anything? We all knew Max would start with a bang and go away, Kotalik with a smaller bang and go away and anyone else?

In my experience as a hockey player, you are who you are surrounded with. Ennis was surrounded by s**t and he was one of the very few bright spots. Why pick on this kid, for not doing enough? Please!

Uhhhh... nah, it's over. Whistle blew. Line up and shake hands.

Archived