Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

I definitely think they need to keep Women's hockey around. It's a growing sport and will get more competitive as the years go on. It's gotten bigger at the college level and it'll only get better at the pro level. They've been talking a lot about how hard China is working, and while I think I could probably play net for them, at least the effort is there. They obviously don't have a comparable trophy like the Stanley Cup to compete for, so really, the Olympics are the biggest achievement Women players can strive for. It would set Women's hockey back years if they got rid of it.

And if China decides it is an event that they can win gold in if they try then they will put tons of money into training and be competitive before the US and Canada realize it.

I've seen Miller's Olympic mask plenty of times, but I didn't notice until now that the bulldog on the back is in uncle Sam gear. That's a nice little touch.

edit: And it's strange that the IOC wants him to remove that stuff, yet all the jerseys will have those Nike swooshes on them. Nice work.

Yes, and the Ralph Lauren Polo logo on the opening ceremony jackets is big enough to choke a horse (sorry). It all revolves around being "officially sanctioned" by the IOC. Translated, that means if Miller Brewing would cut the IOC a check, the "Miller Time" logo would be fine. Yeesh!

And if China decides it is an event that they can win gold in if they try then they will put tons of money into training and be competitive before the US and Canada realize it.

Their goaltender played well for them last night, albeit against another weak team, but she faced a ton of shots and had no support from her skaters. Granato was mentioning that until this year, they only had right handed players on the team, but now have a handful of left handed players which has allowed them to put together better lines. Talk about a growing program! lol

I noticed the same thing on yahoo and quickly moved to espn to keep track of the USA game.

Blue, in another thread you said that it was going to be a long two weeks. With the hockey you have seen so far, do you still feel that way? Because I have loved every game, even the blowouts. What I love is that no matter what the score, the teams play the same. In the NHL, if a team gets down by too much they'll just mail the rest of the game in. But they keep playing here.

On a side note, as good as Emerick is, he gabs WAY too much. Every highlight is this,"Blah, blah blah and he SCORES!" Shut up and call the game. I guess we're just spoiled by RJ.

I definitely think they need to keep Women's hockey around. It's a growing sport and will get more competitive as the years go on. It's gotten bigger at the college level and it'll only get better at the pro level. They've been talking a lot about how hard China is working, and while I think I could probably play net for them, at least the effort is there. They obviously don't have a comparable trophy like the Stanley Cup to compete for, so really, the Olympics are the biggest achievement Women players can strive for. It would set Women's hockey back years if they got rid of it.

I would disagree. Womens hockey only is growing in Canada and USA. For every small step it's making in Europe, it makes giant steps here. It's lopsided. It's boring. It's against what the Olympic games stand for. Just because these 2 weeks are the "15 seconds" of fame for these women doesn't mean the IOC needs to keep it. Just like the dumped softball, they will dump womens hockey.

I heard womens ski jump will replace it....

For now, I'm watching Miracle for the first time. It's good, but I like the Karl Malden version better. Can't find it anymore, though.

Are you kidding me??? :huh:

I remember reading a story in the "TV Guide" section of the Courier-Express before it went belly up. Herb Brooks was furious that Karl Malden had been chosen to play him in the Miracle On Ice movie. He was actually going to allow his wife to play herself on the small screen movie had Paul Newman played his role.

Sekera lays a nice blast on Jagr along the boards in the first of Slovakia v. Czech Republic. Jagr holding his arm on the bench. :thumbsup: Eat it Jagr!

edit: I think the one nice thing about having NHLers in the Olympics is you get to see how they play outside of their normal teams, linemates, coaches, etc.

Sekera lays a nice blast on Jagr along the boards in the first of Slovakia v. Czech Republic. Jagr holding his arm on the bench. :thumbsup: Eat it Jagr!

edit: I think the one nice thing about having NHLers in the Olympics is you get to see how they play outside of their normal teams, linemates, coaches, etc.

I was wondering about Sekera's physical play this year when he was in. I just chalked it up to him trying to stay in the top 6 and leaving it all on the ice. I don't remember him being this physical last year. Perhaps he's truly adapted a more physical style of play. I like his potential. I'd like to see him in our starting line up more often.

I was wondering about Sekera's physical play this year when he was in. I just chalked it up to him trying to stay in the top 6 and leaving it all on the ice. I don't remember him being this physical last year. Perhaps he's truly adapted a more physical style of play. I like his potential. I'd like to see him in our starting line up more often.

methinks it's time for swampd to pop up a post to tell us its further proof that it is the "LR system that has our defense backing up and playing like cream puffs".

I saw the seperate thread that Labatt suggested belonged here tracking stats of our Sabres particpiating in these olympics. Meh not a bad idea; I was not able to find a whole lot of stats but here's what I have found as of this morning; 2/18

Point leaders: No sabres(n/s) w/any points(goals or assists) no surprises there.

Top Goals; n/s

Top Assists; n/s

Defenses; n/s not sure what this is but it's on the ctv site

Top plus minus; Henrik Tallinder a +1

I was unable to find any minus stats only top plus/minus i'm sure there must be some -'s

Penalty Minutes; n/s

Face off percentage; n/s

Goaltenders Save % Miller 4th out of 12 with 93.33

Goals against; Miller 4th w/ 1.00

No hits category or ice time that I found yet that I thought might be interesting.

Other than D4rksabre's callout for Sekera , Hecht was pretty invisible last night and do not think he got a lot of ice time or was on the 1st penalty kill or PP units.

Tallinder actually did look pretty good, jumped in on a couple plays in offensive zone, got PP time and looked good in his own end of the ice.

Please other's feel free to add to the stat's and or commentary.

methinks it's time for swampd to pop up a post to tell us its further proof that it is the "LR system that has our defense backing up and playing like cream puffs".

You covered it nicely.

I saw the seperate thread that Labatt suggested belonged here tracking stats of our Sabres particpiating in these olympics. Meh not a bad idea; I was not able to find a whole lot of stats but here's what I have found as of this morning; 2/18

Point leaders: No sabres(n/s) w/any points(goals or assists) no surprises there.

Top Goals; n/s

Top Assists; n/s

Defenses; n/s not sure what this is but it's on the ctv site

Top plus minus; Henrik Tallinder a +1

I was unable to find any minus stats only top plus/minus i'm sure there must be some -'s

Penalty Minutes; n/s

Face off percentage; n/s

Goaltenders Save % Miller 4th out of 12 with 93.33

Goals against; Miller 4th w/ 1.00

No hits category or ice time that I found yet that I thought might be interesting.

Other than D4rksabre's callout for Sekera , Hecht was pretty invisible last night and do not think he got a lot of ice time or was on the 1st penalty kill or PP units.

Tallinder actually did look pretty good, jumped in on a couple plays in offensive zone, got PP time and looked good in his own end of the ice.

Please other's feel free to add to the stat's and or commentary.

Hecht was actually on the ice quite a bit. Long enough to miss a wide open net anyway. :wallbash:

You covered it nicely.

No problamo, got your back, just remember that sharp pain between the sholuder blades could be one :nana:

Hecht was actually on the ice quite a bit. Long enough to miss a wide open net anyway. :wallbash:

Awe what the Hecht, I guess I didn't pick him out of the action much which told me he was pretty unoticeable although I do admit to flipping back and forth bewteen NBC's coverages of speed skating, womens downhill and snowboard.

Anyone see how Lydman fared ?

I would disagree. Womens hockey only is growing in Canada and USA. For every small step it's making in Europe, it makes giant steps here. It's lopsided. It's boring. It's against what the Olympic games stand for. Just because these 2 weeks are the "15 seconds" of fame for these women doesn't mean the IOC needs to keep it. Just like the dumped softball, they will dump womens hockey.

I heard womens ski jump will replace it....

It's a logistical nightmare, but women's hockey needs to allow multiple teams for the US and Canada. Yes, it waters down the talent level of those countries, but it's the only way it can be competitive right now. Other team sports have multiple teams from the same country, so why not here? Obviously the size of the team factors in majorly.

Once I realized that Hecht was #17 (anyone know why?), I noticed him a lot more. He was his usual support winger self. He made some nice plays to setup his linemates, but there isn't a ton of skill on the roster.

Just an assumption, but Hecht has wore #17 before for Germany in World Championships. He wore #71 in Edmonton (probably due to #17 retired) and i believe he wore it in St Louis too. When he came to Buffalo, Hecht wore #71 but changed it to #55 because he said #71 was bad mojo and he needed a change in numbers because he kept getting hurt under #71.

Anyone else not getting a signal on USA network? I didn't get to see the first US game because the signal was spotty and apparently the DVR decided it shouldn't record that, so it stopped after 3 minutes. Now, in the last 5 minutes, I've seen about 10 second of curling, but otherwise a black screen. For reference, I'm on TWC in Rochester.

If I miss another US game :angry:

Anyone else not getting a signal on USA network? I didn't get to see the first US game because the signal was spotty and apparently the DVR decided it shouldn't record that, so it stopped after 3 minutes. Now, in the last 5 minutes, I've seen about 10 second of curling, but otherwise a black screen. For reference, I'm on TWC in Rochester.

If I miss another US game :angry:

That's not good, still in the first , Chris Drury just scored, 2-0

Archived