Encouraging Larry Quinn Interview

tom webster

I didn't read the rest of the replies thus far, so my apologies if someone else said this already...

He's said on WGR over a year ago that this is the last year for the slug. He repeated it earlier this year.

Next year our current thirds will be the primary home jersey, a white version of that will come out, and they will have all new thirds also. Baring any usage of the slug on the thirds (which I wouldn't even care about to be honest), the slug is all but GONE.

They can't have a 3rd jersey unless it's a throwback of some kind. The league does not allow teams to have a new 3rd jersey in the same season that they're introducing new uniforms.

That's just how brilliant the guy is.

You might be on to something here. I've thought for the longest time he was an icompetent sleezeball but perhaps he is outwitting us all. Does he actually do or say anything of value or instead of being the proverbial yes man, he's the Sabres nothing man.

They can't have a 3rd jersey unless it's a throwback of some kind. The league does not allow teams to have a new 3rd jersey in the same season that they're introducing new uniforms.

Perhaps, because the homes would be the current thirds, they would allowed to introduce the new roads and the new third, especially since the roads and homes are "throwbacks". I don't know how much playing room that they have, but I could see that being the justification.

Where has PA gone? Last logged on 12/30.

I just listened to the whole interview

just thought i'd close this loop. my apologies to any regulars who've disappeared for weeks at a time for whom i have failed to extend a similar courtesy.

My Master hasn't been home in weeks. I'm running out of food.

i trust wilbur's fed, watered, and out of that damn cone of shame.

EDIT: chz beat me to it.

More thoughts on the "interview."

LQ had his number-crunching minions prepare this one: the Sabres have the fourth-best record in the league -- since the lockout, I think. He also noted the Sabres going from only several thousand season tickets to 16,000. And going from 30th in merchandise sales to the top for a year, or whatever.

The message is pretty clear. Despite all the yack about winning a Cup, the franchise is quite content with what it has accomplished.

LQ had his number-crunching minions prepare this one: the Sabres have the fourth-best record in the league -- since the lockout, I think. He also noted the Sabres going from only several thousand season tickets to 16,000. And going from 30th in merchandise sales to the top for a year, or whatever.

The message is pretty clear. Despite all the yack about winning a Cup, the franchise is quite content with what it has accomplished.

yeah yeah yeah. Aren't you going to tell us where you were?

Okay not quite up to par for controversy stirring but your allowed to ease back into your game with a couple more posts(shifts).

yeah yeah yeah. Aren't you going to tell us where you were?

This

Perhaps, because the homes would be the current thirds, they would allowed to introduce the new roads and the new third, especially since the roads and homes are "throwbacks". I don't know how much playing room that they have, but I could see that being the justification.

I like the current uniform colors. Just change the logo . Anyone else? The blue on the current 3rds is very dull.

just thought i'd close this loop. my apologies to any regulars who've disappeared for weeks at a time for whom i have failed to extend a similar courtesy.

i trust wilbur's fed, watered, and out of that damn cone of shame.

EDIT: chz beat me to it.

Daddy's home and we're going for a ride in the ***squirrel***

LQ is the ultimate spin doctor, DR's the real problem. He's got a good set of eyes for players but suffers from lack of sack when it comes to getting the money he needs and making the plays he wants to make. Yeah, they've spent money this year but they could've done better.

If they'd give him some room he could make the deals. You can't tell me that he likes everyone on the existing team. I wouldn't care who leaves and neither would any of you once you win the cup.

I like the current uniform colors. Just change the logo . Anyone else? The blue on the current 3rds is very dull.

I like Blue and Gold. I just don't "get" the desire of both the Sabres and Bills to use a blue that is so dark it looks black from anywhere but close-up. Other than that, I agree a logo change would be enough to keep most happy (but they also have to stop all that "other stuff" that is going on in the current slug jersey - all the weird trimming).

Fire Ruff and hire a real coach. Clean out the management and bring in a real GM and a real President who know how to win. Get rid of Galisano and replace him with a real owner who wants a Cup.

Do you really think all this, or are you just trying to "get everyone started" on this board?

I really haven't liked Quinn at all, because I think he believes he's Scotty Bowman although knows nothing about hockey, but I just don't see how anyone could have major issues with Golisano and Ruff (minor ones, maybe, but wishing they were gone?). That's just me I guess. I look around the NHL and think Sabres fans are relatively blessed to have those guys.

I do agree that Golisano views this more as a business than as a passion for a Cup. But he also saved the team for Buffalo and I think he would sell it if a group came forward in Buffalo that would keep the team in WNY and had a passion for hockey. I don't see the harm in that. And with Lindy I've never understood how/why Sabres fans don't like him. He doesn't exactly get put in great positions by ownership, but rarely do I think the Sabres have underachieved (although the past two years did make me wonder a bit). Making the most out of your talent is really all you can ask of a coach.

I wouldn't say dull, but maybe a little dark.

Here's what the last year and a half of looking at the third jerseys has taught me: (1) they look great in person (love my authentic) and when they do the brightly lit closeups on the ice; and (2) they look almost black (and the trim looks orange) during most standard game video. Call it my own little TV test. The result isn't quite what was intended. I do like the darker blue and how it contrasts with the gold, silver and white. However, I would say that a shade or two lighter/brighter would be a big improvement, especially for TV viewing.

Besides, the blue on the current third is exactly the same as the current homes (I just double-checked my two authentics; they're indiscernible.)

As for putting the old logo on the new jersey. The concept would be OK for the home jerseys, because I actually like that jersey (slug-aside), but the away jersey would still be ugly. They'd be better without the Slug, as the logo would contrast most with the large white-space, but I still wouldn't like them. Here:

post-1053-12635876382665_thumb.jpg

Last year, I proposed a sort of hybrid:

post-1053-12636641973976_thumb.jpg

The new white one wouldn't be a throwback though. That silver would ruin that possibility. The rest makes sense though. There's no way they would have 3 jerseys next year though. You hold off on one for a year or two so that you suddenly have something new to sell at that point.

I wouldn't say dull, but maybe a little dark.

Here's what the last year and a half of looking at the third jerseys has taught me: (1) they look great in person (love my authentic) and when they do the brightly lit closeups on the ice; and (2) they look almost black (and the trim looks orange) during most standard game video. Call it my own little TV test. The result isn't quite what was intended. I do like the darker blue and how it contrasts with the gold, silver and white. However, I would say that a shade or two lighter/brighter would be a big improvement, especially for TV viewing.

Besides, the blue on the current third is exactly the same as the current homes (I just double-checked my two authentics; they're indiscernible.)

As for putting the old logo on the new jersey. The concept would be OK for the home jerseys, because I actually like that jersey (slug-aside), but the away jersey would still be ugly. They'd be better without the Slug, as the logo would contrast most with the large white-space, but I still wouldn't like them. Here:

post-1053-12635876382665_thumb.jpg

Last year, I proposed a sort of hybrid:

What would you think of the uniforms if they just put the rest of the body on the slug and made it look like a buffalo?

What would you think of the uniforms if they just put the rest of the body on the slug and made it look like a buffalo?

A slug is a slug. It would just look like a Bills uniform.

I'd go more old school, like the Pepsi cap. But like Shrader said, I'd too wait a year or two.

A slug is a slug. It would just look like a Bills uniform.

I'd go more old school, like the Pepsi cap. But like Shrader said, I'd too wait a year or two.

Why don't they do a "Pepsi cap" night? This is the 40th anniversary of the Bisons last year in the "A". They went out Calder Cup champs. That's worth remembering. Bring back all the old Bisons and let's make a night of it.

PTR

I just listened to the whole interview -- half an hour or more of my life I want back. Is Bulldog Mike Schopp's bitch or what? Mike dominates the interview.

Anyway, I didn't hear anything "encouraging." I heard LQ being the master politician that he is. He makes Bill Clinton look like an amateur in parsing words and speaking out both sides of his butt cheeks. The evidence of how good he is at spinning BS is that some serious fans here actually heard something to be encouraged about, when the man literally said nothing.

He praised how cohesive the team is, mentioned how the players moreso than in previous years seem to care so much about each other ("inside-out guys"), then said he didn't know if the Sabres might make a Marian Hossa-like trade, where several Sabres would depart -- of course, in the phrasing, some people will hear LQ say the Sabres are considering it, and others will hear that they never would do that. That's just how brilliant the guy is.

Clearly, Darcy's MO is that he's not going to disrupt team "chemistry" when the team is winning. The pertinent thing I heard LQ say, while also saying how desperately they all want to win a Cup for the tortured fans of Buffalo, is that he wouldn't want "lose their chance" to win a Cup during The Miller Window that he thinks will last the next five years, to get one chance to win it this year.

Another example:

LQ said he thinks the game needs to be more offensive, then had to cover his tracks to admit that the Sabres are one of the best defensive teams in the game. They're as good as anyone at playing the trap and sitting on leads -- and they're pretty boring. And, yes, Lindy still has no clue what he's doing coaching the offensive side!

The perfect hockey score, according to LQ: 4-3. I take it that's always with Buffalo on top. Four goals a game? How do owners expect the game to become so offensive-minded when they put guys like Lindy Ruff behind the benches, doing whatever is necessary to win, at any cost, even if it means putting the fans to sleep, like last night?

lindymustgo.com? can you take another 15 days off please?

LQ said he thinks the game needs to be more offensive, then had to cover his tracks to admit that the Sabres are one of the best defensive teams in the game. They're as good as anyone at playing the trap and sitting on leads -- and they're pretty boring. And, yes, Lindy still has no clue what he's doing coaching the offensive side!

The perfect hockey score, according to LQ: 4-3. I take it that's always with Buffalo on top. Four goals a game? How do owners expect the game to become so offensive-minded when they put guys like Lindy Ruff behind the benches, doing whatever is necessary to win, at any cost, even if it means putting the fans to sleep, like last night?

So wait ... now the Sabres play great defense because of Ruff coaching to win at all costs? I thought it was all Miller and they won in spite of Ruff?

csfddqsfhujh4tgn4ra3g2wwsdgghr mkfkfjjj ik tik [.

Sorry, my 21-month old felt the need to contribute there ...

Archived