The Chart

carpandean

By popular demand, I'm starting a thread for this. I'll update it after each game.

Sabres Historical:

post-1053-12710818484149_thumb.jpg

Northeast Division:

post-1053-12710819143992_thumb.jpg

Eastern Conference:

post-1053-12710818898479_thumb.jpg

As usual, points are net of 93-point pace.

Playoffs (axis = 9th place):

post-1053-12710819566184_thumb.jpg

Edit: updated 4/11 (End of Season)

Carp,

I'm sure you've explained this in past years, but why the decision to go w/ a 93 point pace as the key? Post lockout, Colorado missed w/ 95 in '07, so wouldn't 96 be the threshold?

There's 1 other reason to look at 96 as being key, taking 12 of every 20 points (6W's of 10) gets you to 96 and you can still get blanked in the 2 extra games (41 & 82, 81 & 82, whatever).

So, I'm looking for them to go 6-3 in the next 9 to stay on a playoff pace. (I don't want to see them squander the last 2 of the 5 extra they had after the 1st 10 games.) Not saying they will stay on a playoff pace, but I like to look at them the way Bowman used to: in 10 game increments.

So, I'm looking for them to go 6-3 in the next 9 to stay on a playoff pace. (I don't want to see them squander the last 2 of the 5 extra they had after the 1st 10 games.) Not saying they will stay on a playoff pace, but I like to look at them the way Bowman used to: in 10 game increments.

uh oh, you've read too many of VaBills' posts. :nana:

Carp,

I'm sure you've explained this in past years, but why the decision to go w/ a 93 point pace as the key? Post lockout, Colorado missed w/ 95 in '07, so wouldn't 96 be the threshold?

Not sure when I chose 93 and at one point I used 94. I know that I only looked at the EC since the lockout. The only time that a team didn't make it (or wouldn't have) with 93 points was last year, where Florida missed with 93 due to a tie-breaker (Montreal made it with 93.) So far, there have been 8 or less teams above the pace for most of the season. There were 9 at the 13 GP mark, but not since then. Through 21 GP only 7 teams are above it. I could adjust it up a little, but it will just make things look even more depressing. ;)

Not sure when I chose 93 and at one point I used 94. I know that I only looked at the EC since the lockout. The only time that a team didn't make it (or wouldn't have) with 93 points was last year, where Florida missed with 93 due to a tie-breaker (Montreal made it with 93.) So far, there have been 8 or less teams above the pace for most of the season. There were 9 at the 13 GP mark, but not since then. Through 21 GP only 7 teams are above it. I could adjust it up a little, but it will just make things look even more depressing. ;)

Quite reasonable. Unfortunately, we're Buff'lo fans, and depressing/depressed is our birthright.

Great now we can chart the torture through the reminder of the season. :worthy: Just what every Buffalo fan needs to track our masochistic pleasure.

Being a Bflo sports fan is like being gently stroked to a point of excitement followed by a good swift kick. Maybe thats what these SGM's need to add to their routine, the good swift kick to the package at the end of their grope fest like they regularly give us when anybody thinks they really could be a different team.

Great now we can chart the torture through the reminder of the season. :worthy: Just what every Buffalo fan needs to track our masochistic pleasure.

Being a Bflo sports fan is like being gently stroked to a point of excitement followed by a good swift kick. Maybe thats what these SGM's need to add to their routine, the good swift kick to the package at the end of their grope fest like they regularly give us when anybody thinks they really could be a different team.

outstanding.

I'm not normally superstitious, but I had a bad feeling when this chart thread started.

I am normally superstitious and I was a little nervous about posting it. However, since I'm not posting it just to show when they are doing great (I specifically waited until after they had some setbacks), but also when they are doing poorly, I think we're OK.

Looking a little better than a couple of days ago.

For the life of me I've never understood the dribble behind the 'hockey gods' BS.. It implies a benevolence if not offended. Show me where there has ever been said benevolence wrt the Sabres. If anything, your hockey god is clearly a Detroit Redwings or Montreal Canadien fan.

For the life of me I've never understood the dribble behind the 'hockey gods' BS.. It implies a benevolence if not offended. Show me where there has ever been said benevolence wrt the Sabres. If anything, your hockey god is clearly a Detroit Redwings or Montreal Canadien fan.

Because of people like carp, who routinely offend the Gods with this evil new technology. That's where your benevolence is going.

Oops. I was slacking. Charts updated through last night. Carolina is seriously messing with with scale on the EC chart.

No worries. I thought about putting together my own sheet, but then I realized how much work is was. :) Thanks for the effort!

As for the scale, you could either remove the Canes and maybe the Leafs, or just force the axis to only show from -5 to +whatever. :)

Carp, why do you bother putting that 93 point pace line in the figures?

(not sure if the question is serious, but:)

It's the rough number of points that determine 8th and 9th place at the end of the season. I suppose he could title the chart with 'Points vs. a 93-point pace' or something, but it's just as easy to make a seperate line.

Now, if he figured out some way to spread the colors out a bit so they'd be easier to tell apart...

Archived