Penguins(5-4-1)

Rangers (6-5-1)

Sabres (7-0-0)

Bruins (5-4-1)

Capitals (5-4-1)

Out of the top 8:

Thrashers (6-4-0)

Panthers (5-3-2)

Technically, the Sabres and Rangers are the only ones with winning records (more wins than losses); everyone else is .500 in W-L.

Yup, hit the wrong key. Don't get the bolded.

Only five teams above the 93 point line? That seems odd. I wonder if the how the top 8 have fared against the western conference, and if we might be wary of running into a buzz saw on the western swing...

Fewer "loser points" this year, maybe?

Don't get the bolded.

Add regulation and OT/SO losses for all but the Sabres and Thrashers, and you get the same number as their wins (also regulation and OT/SO.) Thus, from a pure win-loss perspective, the rest of the teams are 0.500. From a points perspective they are not, but that's because of the NHL stupid points system.

Edit: just realized that you probably didn't get it because of the Rangers thing.

Add regulation and OT/SO losses for all but the Sabres and Thrashers, and you get the same number as their wins (also regulation and OT/SO.) Thus, from a pure win-loss perspective, the rest of the teams are 0.500. From a points perspective they are not, but that's because of the NHL stupid points system.

Edit: just realized that you probably didn't get it because of the Rangers thing.

But since an OTL is not equal to a loss...

But since an OTL is not equal to a loss...

In their point system? No, which is why I listed eight teams as having "winning records" against the West.

Conceptually, however, if a win is a win (those wins are made up of RW and OTW/SOW), then a loss is a loss. So, from a true W-L standpoint, if total losses = total wins, then they are 0.500. If someone wants to count the OTW/SOW of each team, then I'd be happy to adjust my statement on a team-by-team bases, as necessary (i.e., OTW/SOW <> OTL/SOL.)

Is it possible to get a chart with just the Northeast division teams updated after each game? It would be nice to keep track of the division lead. The conference charts are a little bit crowded for this purpose.

Thanks! :worthy:

LOL. Yeah, I actually have it already. I'll throw it up there (with the most recent updates of the others) shortly.

LOL. Yeah, I actually have it already. I'll throw it up there (with the most recent updates of the others) shortly.

While you're taking suggestions, is there any possible way to put the team names next to their last data point in the conference figure? I'm guessing that screws with your automated process a bit though.

Wow, the NE division is an absolute disaster right now except for us. No wonder we're having a good year! These guys blow!

Not sure if there is sarcasm there, but, as of right now, 3 of the other 4 NE teams are in a playoff spot. They are below the '93-point line', but still better than most divisions in the East. The SE, for instance, has Washington at #3 and the rest are #11-13 and #15.

Carp, do you have a conferencen chart from last year? I'd be curious how much the bubble teams 'pour it on' at the end of the season to make the playoffs, and conversely, how much the leaders at the middle of the season tail off when their spot is locked in. I could definitely imagine some teams having a 'frown' curve (the leaders) and others a 'smile' curve (the middle teams winning 3 of every 4 towards the end as they push).

Carp, do you have a conferencen chart from last year? I'd be curious how much the bubble teams 'pour it on' at the end of the season to make the playoffs, and conversely, how much the leaders at the middle of the season tail off when their spot is locked in. I could definitely imagine some teams having a 'frown' curve (the leaders) and others a 'smile' curve (the middle teams winning 3 of every 4 towards the end as they push).

I had the same thoughts and, yes, I do have last year's charts:

Actual (net of 93 points):

post-1053-12633340412177_thumb.jpg

Playoffs (net of 9th place):

post-1053-1263334054221_thumb.jpg

You can definitely see on the "Playoffs" chart that the 93-point pace went up slowly to about 5 (around 56-58 games in) and then dropped back down. It's already gone up higher this year than it ever did last year.

There were definite playoff pushes by the Penguins and Hurricanes, but the Rangers, Canadiens and (unfortunately) Sabres fell off a bit.

While you're taking suggestions, is there any possible way to put the team names next to their last data point in the conference figure? I'm guessing that screws with your automated process a bit though.

Unfortunately, in Excel 2007, it will only put the label after the last point if all points have a value (for example, I can do it with the 2008-09 charts, because all 82 games have been played.) So, since the are games not yet played, I would have to change each team's data (x and y) range individually within the chart each time. Too much of a pain.

Can you do a chart comparing the number of charts to the number of requests for charts?

Kidding; you're a dedicated hobbyist and we love you for it.

:blush:

Unfortunately, in Excel 2007, it will only put the label after the last point if all points have a value (for example, I can do it with the 2008-09 charts, because all 82 games have been played.) So, since the are games not yet played, I would have to change each team's data (x and y) range individually within the chart each time. Too much of a pain.

Slacker. :P

How about instead of using dots for each data point, you use a tiny logo of each specific team. :D ;)

I haven't played with Excel 2007 much, but it seems like the automatic color selection leaves something to be desired. There seem to be several blues and greens. Maybe you could manually alter the colors to be a little more clear? And put appropriate colors for some teams, like blue or gold for Buffalo, Orange for Philly, green for Toronto (Buffalo envy), etc.?

I haven't played with Excel 2007 much, but it seems like the automatic color selection leaves something to be desired. There seem to be several blues and greens. Maybe you could manually alter the colors to be a little more clear? And put appropriate colors for some teams, like blue or gold for Buffalo, Orange for Philly, green for Toronto (Buffalo envy), etc.?

Excel: :thumbdown:

Carp, I know you've got a nice system going (and I do appreciate it...thanks!), but gnuplot (if you have Linux) or MATLAB are both really smooth for customized plots like this. I guess this is more a general recommendation for anyone trying to do stuff similar to this. A little bit of programming savvyness required, but with a little experience working with either of these and you can do some really neat automated stuff. :thumbsup:

Again, thanks for the charts... Being a math/stats nerdy guy, I always enjoy them.

Archived