Grier signs with Sabres

Foligno's Nose

At first I was like, No Way! GTFO! Then I thought of his comments. Then Darcy. Then the team being scared if they didn't play with a sack. Then I saw him leaving a Loaf in the corner.

Nuff said. I think I have a nipple hard-on.

"After all these years of calling games I don't think I've ever been this excited!"

"You're excited? Feel these nipples!"

WOW! Great signing by the Sabres. I know they need a scorer, and not sure if that "scorer" will be a MacArthur or Gerbe, as Dracy keeps saying in interviews that the kids must make a move. He realizes this team lost many games due to the physical aspect of the game and because of the 3rd and 4th lines were very much outplayed. I really think they have upgraded their 3rd and 4th lines big time with McCormick and Grier. I can't wait to see Grier play for the Sabres again.

One member on another forum posted few days ago that his "sources" say Adam Mair is injured and will miss a good amount of time. Nobody believed him on that forum but now, i don't know?

I do think a trade is coming. And i still hope they can work a way to bring Dominic Moore back as well.

I think Danny Paille's days with Buffalo are numbered. He's a guy who lacks the skills to play on the top 2 lines, and needs to be an energy guy. There is no room for him here anymore. Even Ellis brings more energy sometimes then Paille.

At first I was like, No Way! GTFO! Then I thought of his comments. Then Darcy. Then the team being scared if they didn't play with a sack. Then I saw him leaving a Loaf in the corner.

I thought I was the only black man that did that for ya.

WOW! Great signing by the Sabres. I know they need a scorer, and not sure if that "scorer" will be a MacArthur or Gerbe, as Dracy keeps saying in interviews that the kids must make a move. He realizes this team lost many games due to the physical aspect of the game and because of the 3rd and 4th lines were very much outplayed. I really think they have upgraded their 3rd and 4th lines big time with McCormick and Grier. I can't wait to see Grier play for the Sabres again.

One member on another forum posted few days ago that his "sources" say Adam Mair is injured and will miss a good amount of time. Nobody believed him on that forum but now, i don't know?

I do think a trade is coming. And i still hope they can work a way to bring Dominic Moore back as well.

I think Danny Paille's days with Buffalo are numbered. He's a guy who lacks the skills to play on the top 2 lines, and needs to be an energy guy. There is no room for him here anymore. Even Ellis brings more energy sometimes then Paille.

Not sure of the stats. But it seems to me Pie-yay plays much better on the top two lines. Whether he deserves it is a different story. He seems to be one of those guys that goes to the net to get set up by Connolly, et al. He's not a playmaker but is a positional player, when he hit and when he scores.

grier.jpg

Also, to give credit where it's due, by luck or by knowing someone, that twitter i posted few days ago about Dominic Moore re-signing with Buffalo, a month ago they said Mike Grier to Montreal or Buffalo... wonder if it was a lucky guess?

Someone else (or not...?) called this one without names a few days ago, so perhaps there are some credible "sources" floating around. They're just not talking to Eck.

Could be a little of both. Maybe he was offered decent money, and DR and perhaps LR whispered some sweet-nothings in his ear about how they've adopted some new "commitment to winning".

Or maybe NO OTHER TEAM had shown any interest in him????

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I was never a big fan of Grier when he was here the first time, mainly because he never seemed to be a very good skater. After he left I grudgingly respected the grit and veteran leadership he brought, so I can't really complain about them bringing him back. My question is where does he fit among the forward lines? If he is another 3rd-line player, that's great - but as has been tossed around in the past, we need to get tougher among the top-6 forwards, and I don't think this does that. But if it is a precursor to another trade and more moves, then I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Either way take these insomnia-influenced ramblings with a grain of salt.

Remember Grier utterly destroying Darcy Tucker? Tucker got up in a rage and immediately cheap-shotted Hecht, missing his head but connecting with his knee. Tucker should've been suspended. It was still a huge hit by Grier.

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I was never a big fan of Grier when he was here the first time, mainly because he never seemed to be a very good skater. After he left I grudgingly respected the grit and veteran leadership he brought, so I can't really complain about them bringing him back. My question is where does he fit among the forward lines? If he is another 3rd-line player, that's great - but as has been tossed around in the past, we need to get tougher among the top-6 forwards, and I don't think this does that. But if it is a precursor to another trade and more moves, then I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Either way take these insomnia-influenced ramblings with a grain of salt.

What he said...minus the part about rambling.

Here's something else about this signing: it helps, even if only a bit, counter the notion of the Sabres as a FA Siberia organization that no one wants to play for. Grier has been to Buffalo before, left on not-so-great terms, and still came back. I know he probably didn't have many options, but I don't think the Sabres threw a ton of money at him, and I'm sure there are other teams he could've gone to. Plenty of teams can use a guy like Grier. He still chose the Sabres. When you add Montador to the picture, that's 2 UFA veterans with good resumes who chose the Sabres.

Nice work, DR.

You know, this was the first thing I thought, too. I like him as a player, always have, and he is what they need. But I have to admit I am a little annoyed (bad choice of words, but it's the closest I can come right now) he was SO vocal about the "commitment to winning" stuff and fed the reputation that it was a bad organ-eye-zation to play for ... and now he comes back ... why exactly? I am curious. Not trying to rip the guy ... yet ... just very interested what he will say. Because everyone else on the planet seems to think nothing has changed ... so does he know something we don't (it's possible) or is he just going to the team that offered the most money? It's not exactly a players' market out there for guys like him.

I think that had much less to do with his own situation than helping the negotiating posture of his former teammates...

and it cost him nothing.

I'm glad to have Grier back, this will help holding on to leads.

There's nothing like antique sandpaper. My guess is: 3 goals 11 assists. Not much left in the tank.

Just didn't like his departure. It seemed like he never wanted to come back...

Grier has scored 7,16,9 & 10 goals each season since leaving Buffalo. He only played 62 games last year and still managed 10 goals. He's only 34 years old.....this isn't a Claude Lemieux signing.

grier.jpg

what? No love for my girl here? :(

I was thinking maybe we needed an official NHO girl with an empty speech bubble box to help us announce breaking news... Do we need to open up a thread for submission suggestions? ;)

Archived