Grier signs with Sabres

Foligno's Nose

SABRES AGREE TO TERMS WITH MIKE GRIER Monday, 08.10.2009 / 7:19 PM / News Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with unrestricted free agent forward Mike Grier, who previously played in Buffalo from 2004-06.

Grier (1/5/1975, 6’1”, 225 lbs.) had 23 points (10+13) in 62 games for San Jose last season. He was third on the Sharks in hits with 147, and was tied for 12th in the NHL with four SH points. Grier missed 20 games with a knee injury last season, after averaging 77 games played during his first 11 NHL seasons. He has played at least 81 games in a season five times during his career.

Grier played in Buffalo from 2004-06, after being acquired in a trade from Washington on March 9, 2004 in exchange for Jakub Klepis. Grier posted 32 points in 95 regular season games with the Sabres, and added eight points (3+5) in 18 games during Buffalo’s run to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2006.

A native of Detroit, MI, the 34-year-old Grier has 345 points (147+198) in 914 career games with Edmonton, Washington, Buffalo and San Jose. He also has 25 points (12+13) in 88 career playoff games.

Grier was originally drafted by St. Louis (219th overall) in the 1993 Entry Draft.

Wow!!! I saw this on the WGR page, too. Link for that: http://www.wgr550.com/Grier-Back-in-Buffalo/4976980

Absolutely great signing by Darcy. There are way too many forwards, so there is clearly a trade in the works somewhere, but I absolutely love this signing. Tough guy, who plays really well in the defensive zone and an excellent PKer. Who do I need to convince on this board? We all love him here. This is a signing I can really get excited about for Buffalo this offseason. Not great, but I like it, that's for sure.

SABRES AGREE TO TERMS WITH MIKE GRIER Monday, 08.10.2009 / 7:19 PM / News Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with unrestricted free agent forward Mike Grier, who previously played in Buffalo from 2004-06.

Grier (1/5/1975, 6’1”, 225 lbs.) had 23 points (10+13) in 62 games for San Jose last season. He was third on the Sharks in hits with 147, and was tied for 12th in the NHL with four SH points. Grier missed 20 games with a knee injury last season, after averaging 77 games played during his first 11 NHL seasons. He has played at least 81 games in a season five times during his career.

Grier played in Buffalo from 2004-06, after being acquired in a trade from Washington on March 9, 2004 in exchange for Jakub Klepis. Grier posted 32 points in 95 regular season games with the Sabres, and added eight points (3+5) in 18 games during Buffalo’s run to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2006.

A native of Detroit, MI, the 34-year-old Grier has 345 points (147+198) in 914 career games with Edmonton, Washington, Buffalo and San Jose. He also has 25 points (12+13) in 88 career playoff games.

Grier was originally drafted by St. Louis (219th overall) in the 1993 Entry Draft.

This is a good signing and has to mean that a trade is coming.

Couple of sources are saying the Panthers are talking to Buffalo about Stafford...Horton's name was brought up in the trade.

Now that'd be a good trade. Horton would solidify our depth down the middle, and also increase our size at the center position.

Couple of sources are saying the Panthers are talking to Buffalo about Stafford...Horton's name was brought up in the trade.

Now that'd be a good trade. Horton would solidify our depth down the middle, and also increase our size at the center position.

Haven't seen Horton play outside of the few times he's played against Buffalo, but (and feel free to call me Darcy Regier) I believe we could get better return for Stafford, especially if packaged with Hecht or even MacArthur.

I think this will force Stafford to either settle for less or for the sabres to ship him out. Would hate to see him go but getting horton up the middle would definitely be worth more.

love the signing, but who is on the move? stafford?

also don't expect a better return for staff than a guy like horton. 3rd overall draft pick in 02 i believe and before this past season put up 60+ points 2 years in a row. Yeah, 4 mil is a bit steep but he still has a chance to live up to his high draft status in my opinion. problem with horton is that he is under contract for 4 more years, so if that doesn't happen next season don't expect any team to take on his salary.

Horton is as much of a center as Hecht is. He only played there because Florida is worst down the middle then Buffalo. His face off percentage was 42%. He is a true right wing. That being said, I'd love for Buffalo to acquire him to play RW on the top line.

I'm very suprised by this. Does this mean the Sabres are doing what it takes to win according to Grier?

You know, this was the first thing I thought, too. I like him as a player, always have, and he is what they need. But I have to admit I am a little annoyed (bad choice of words, but it's the closest I can come right now) he was SO vocal about the "commitment to winning" stuff and fed the reputation that it was a bad organ-eye-zation to play for ... and now he comes back ... why exactly? I am curious. Not trying to rip the guy ... yet ... just very interested what he will say. Because everyone else on the planet seems to think nothing has changed ... so does he know something we don't (it's possible) or is he just going to the team that offered the most money? It's not exactly a players' market out there for guys like him.

You know, this was the first thing I thought, too. I like him as a player, always have, and he is what they need. But I have to admit I am a little annoyed (bad choice of words, but it's the closest I can come right now) he was SO vocal about the "commitment to winning" stuff and fed the reputation that it was a bad organ-eye-zation to play for ... and now he comes back ... why exactly? I am curious. Not trying to rip the guy ... yet ... just very interested what he will say. Because everyone else on the planet seems to think nothing has changed ... so does he know something we don't (it's possible) or is he just going to the team that offered the most money? It's not exactly a players' market out there for guys like him.

Could be a little of both. Maybe he was offered decent money, and DR and perhaps LR whispered some sweet-nothings in his ear about how they've adopted some new "commitment to winning".

I doubt "most money." I would guess "any money" would be more accurate.

I'm glad to see him back with the Sabres. I just don't know what kind of difference maker he can be at this point.

I would absolutely pull the trigger for Horton sacrificing Stafford.

I never thought a Grier signing would have such a positive outburst from all of the critics ....

I think it's boosted by some of the things this signing implies, as in impending trades. It's a good signing of a physical forward with top line talent, and it should theoretically mean more action is coming. That promise alone is good enough for me.

I think it's boosted by some of the things this signing implies, as in impending trades. It's a good signing of a physical forward with top line talent, and it should theoretically mean more action is coming. That promise alone is good enough for me.

Not to mention veteran leadership and accountability in the locker room.

Archived