Grier signs with Sabres

Foligno's Nose

Unless Kaleta stays healthy and really steps up his game (which is possible), I'd say (assuming we sign Stafford or Horton or Zherdev or ...) that Grier is a lock on the third line. He actually said on WGR that the Sabres felt they had a hole on the right wing of the third line that he could fill. He will also provide depth for the scoring lines. Not for point production as much as for doing the dirty work for the more skilled forwards.

The third line is what needed to be addressed the most. Checking line.

Just one more center should do the trick.

The third line is what needed to be addressed the most. Checking line.

Just one more center should do the trick.

I agree that another center (Moore, Malhotra or even Peca) would help, but we'd have to start shedding players (we already do.) Something like:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Moore-Grier

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Scratch/Trade: Paille/Ellis

IR: Mair (that's the rumor, anyway)

Not that I think Gaustad should be just a fourth-line center, but that fourth line (or some other combos) could play 10-12 minutes and Gaustad could be used heavily on the PK or for big faceoffs. Plus, we'd have depth at center. If Connolly (or Roy) gets hurt then you get Roy-Moore-Gaustad-Mair/Ellis as your four centers. The big hole or at least question mark would still be Mac at second-line left wing.

I agree that another center (Moore, Malhotra or even Peca) would help, but we'd have to start shedding players (we already do.) Something like:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Moore-Grier

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Not that I think Gaustad should be just a fourth-line center, but that fourth line (or some other combos) could play 10-12 minutes and Gaustad could be used heavily on the PK or for big faceoffs. Plus, we'd have depth at center. If Connolly (or Roy) gets hurt then you get Roy-Moore-Gaustad-Mair/Ellis as your four centers. The big hole or at least question mark would still be Mac at second-line left wing.

Every time I see these lineups, I just cringe when I see the General on the second line. Maybe this guy is better than I think but it just sticks out so much

Every time I see these lineups, I just cringe when I see the General on the second line. Maybe this guy is better than I think but it just sticks out so much

I agree, but does this make you feel any better:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

Hecht-Roy-Pominville

Gaustad-Moore-Grier

McCormick-Ellis-Kaleta

Scratch/Trade: Paille, MacArthur

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

MacArthur-Roy-Pominville

Hecht-Moore-Grier

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Well, I'd guess that if we do sign Moore or another decent center, that guy would play on the 2nd line, with Roy moving to wing, Mac getting bumped/traded and Gaustad staying as #3 center. Either way, though, I'm becoming more and more convinced that one or more of Hecht, Stafford, Roy or Pommer is going to be traded, which will also affect the lines. If we were to bring in Moore or someone like him, there would have to be 2 guys traded.

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

Hecht-Roy-Pominville

Gaustad-Moore-Grier

McCormick-Ellis-Kaleta

Yes. Hecht didn't become a bum in one season after a pretty solid career.

Yes. Hecht didn't become a bum in one season after a pretty solid career.

I agree, but his game does seem more suited for a #3 "checking" line with Gaustad and Grier.

Here's my current prediction:

Connolly-Vanek-Pommer

Roy-Stafford-Kennedy

Gaustad-Hecht-Grier

Mair-Kaleta-MacArthur

Lydman-Rivet

Butler-Montador

Sekera-Myers

extra: Ellis, McCormick, Weber, Paetsch

Portland: Gerbe

trade: Paille, Tallinder

I saw this while on vacation. I was shocked to say the least. DR goes out and signs a vet for the 3rd or 4th line. Excellent!

Agreed. I just got back from vacation as well and found out about this today. Good stuff.

You guys are slackers. I'm on vacation too and I've still been around here. I even found common ground with Dwight Drane. :bag:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

Hecht-Roy-Pominville

Gaustad-Moore-Grier

McCormick-Ellis-Kaleta

definitely and I would also take a look at Kennedy although I don't know squat about how he is playing.

I am glad to have him back in in Buffalo. I was at a game in Philly in 05-06 and the score was back and fourth all game. Finally with 4 second to go in the third, Roy had the puck behind the net and ge gives a pass to Grier and he one timed passed Nitty for the win 6-5. I may have been the only one standing and cheerin out of 18,000 plus fans. I hope to see some more of that stuff from Grier this year. He may not score often, but as long as when he does score it wins games. The link to the highlights of that game in Philly is below.

http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=20052006,2,941

I am glad to have him back in in Buffalo. I was at a game in Philly in 05-06 and the score was back and fourth all game. Finally with 4 second to go in the third, Roy had the puck behind the net and ge gives a pass to Grier and he one timed passed Nitty for the win 6-5. I may have been the only one standing and cheerin out of 18,000 plus fans. I hope to see some more of that stuff from Grier this year. He may not score often, but as long as when he does score it wins games. The link to the highlights of that game in Philly is below.

Grier had the giveaway on the first goal by Philly that day but made up for it in the end.

Boy, who was that Hecht guy that was in on all those Sabres goals?

That was a game when Buffalo showed they had an additional gear. I remember that one vividly.

Archived