The Music Thread

darksabre

My candidate for song that gets stuck in my head most often is "Where Is My Mind" by the Pixies.

I recently heard a great piano cover for the first time (below), and it's such a relaxing sound. I played it while cooking today and it was a very nice set up before I head to work.

If you're unfamiliar, this is a song that was popularized by Fight Club and is connected to Chuck Palahniuk for basically ever now.

http://youtu.be/4NZdggNUvq0

Edited by Hoss

Ha Fans can relate to this song. More in an opposite way though. Past 2 seasons is something many will try to forget. What the Sabres did/went through was well worth it, but it is something most will NEVER want again. I know I won't. 

"for it's worth, it was worth all the while" 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe someone else has heard of Porcupine Tree. You and my bosses' father in law are the only two people I've ever heard mention them, SwampD

I can't believe more people haven't heard of them.

And I think Steven Wilson's solo LPs (sic,… I think) are even better.

Can't believe someone else has heard of Porcupine Tree. You and my bosses' father in law are the only two people I've ever heard mention them, SwampD

I can't believe more people haven't heard of them.

And I think Steven Wilson's solo LPs (sic,… I think) are even better.

Been into PT for years, but the last I checked into it it's very uncertain whether they will ever record again.  Steven Wilson has been more into his solo band in recent years, and I agree with Swamp that those efforts are fantastic.  Steven Wilson's Blackfield project also produced a couple great albums.

Most people here who have listened to WGR have heard Porcupine Tree, but they probably didn't know it.  They used to play the opening to "Shallow" from the Deadwing album as bumper music years ago.

Love Porcupine Tree.  "Heartattack in a Layby" and "Trains" got me through some dark dark dark times. Actually, In Absentia in its entirety was daily listening for me for years. 

Been into PT for years, but the last I checked into it it's very uncertain whether they will ever record again.  Steven Wilson has been more into his solo band in recent years, and I agree with Swamp that those efforts are fantastic.  Steven Wilson's Blackfield project also produced a couple great albums.

Most people here who have listened to WGR have heard Porcupine Tree, but they probably didn't know it.  They used to play the opening to "Shallow" from the Deadwing album as bumper music years ago.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21210-concerts-you-plan-to-attend-this-year/?p=448151

You're the one who hipped me to them/him. 

I thank you once again.

Might have posted this before, but if you love bluesy rock, you'll love this; the White Stripes have a lot more to offer than "Icky Thump" and "Seven Nation Army". I mean, if the opening riffs don't get you, I don't know what will. 

Edited by WildCard

For some reason, last week I got into a Metallica mood and listened to the first four albums for the first time in probably a decade. I'm not a big fan of Justice, but Blackened has been in my head since.

See, I f'ing loved Justice. Frayed Ends of Sanity is probably my favorite on that one.

On Puppets my favorite is probably Disposable Heroes or Battery.

Inhale deeply, arms - out more,
Do not hurry - three and four!
Grace and pliability are emphasized!
All around conditioning,
And hangover quickening,
If you're still alive and fidgeting -
Exercise!

If you're working out at home,
Do lie down!- three and four!
Correctly go through every single motion!
Lose the tension that you feel,
Get accustomed to the drill!
Inhale deeply right until...
Exhaustion!

Quickly growing 'round the world - 
Flu and illness - three and four!
The disease is gradually flourishing!
If you're weak - straight to the grave!
If you want your wellness saved,
With a towel rub yourself,
It's nourishing!

If already you feel spent,
Sit and stand, sit and stand - 
Do not fear the Arctic and Antarctic!
Our main scholar Dr. Joffe
Proved to us that booze and coffee
Will be replaced by athletic prophy - 
- lactic

All the talking should be stopped
Keep on squatting 'till you drop
Do not be such gloomy creatures!
If you cannot hold your ardor
Rub yourself with something harder
In the water, you can start the
Drilled procedures

We're not scared of doltish talk - 
In response we run and walk,- 
Amateurs - triumphant from the start!
Beautiful!- right from beginning
No one's losing, no one's winning
Stationary running is bringing
Peace to hearts!

Edited by I am Defecting

Mind Blown. 

Kishi Bashi 

What the -- . What just happened? Marvelous.

Also, my contribution: Going to see these guys at Artpark next weekend. This (very catchy) song is often their opener, and it's a song that makes clear for me why they're the greatest American band out there right now. At its score, the tune sounds like it could've been written in Mark Twain's Missouri (excepting the R&B drum backing, for one); at the same time, it sounds fresh as hell.

Edited by That Aud Smell

What the -- . What just happened? Marvelous.

Also, my contribution: Going to see these guys at Artpark next weekend. This (very catchy) song is often their opener, and it's a song that makes clear for me why they're the greatest American band out there right now. At its score, the tune sounds like it could've been written in Mark Twain's Missouri (excepting the R&B drum backing, for one); at the same time, it sounds fresh as hell.

love these guys. Enjoy the show

This entire album is amazing. It's not too often a modern rap artist will come out with his 2nd or 3rd album, and stay away from the pop hits. This guy bleeds soul into this album

Some good stuff. Who is this guy? (I am now old, but was into rap/hip-hop at a ground floor level, by Buffalo standards.)

love these guys. Enjoy the show

Thanks, man. The boys rarely, if ever, disappoint. This will be my ... 8th show? There's only one where I left wanting something more or different (and that wasn't their fault -- they were with a large slate, and didn't play enough for my purposes).