GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:30pm

Well, this is a big test. The Sabres played great on Wednesday night, but now they need to carry it over to this game. A loss is totally unacceptable and will completely wipe away the good will built by the Montreal win. I am interested to see how the lines look, if Max still plays decent (if he can actually finish), and how Lalime looks. He was simply amazing on Wednesday. I knew there was a reason for paying the guy $2 million, and I just couldn't seem to figure out what it was earlier in the season. Another win like he just had and we'll all know.

3 points out at this point; I dont like. Where's the pissed off Stafford?

PHX always seems to be a thorn, they got nothing. It will be really sad if we get outshot by this team tonight. Hopefully they blew their wad in Boston...

Did I hear it was Dominic Moore bobblehead night? :unsure:

3 points out at this point; I dont like. Where's the pissed off Stafford?

PHX always seems to be a thorn, they got nothing. It will be really sad if we get outshot by this team tonight. Hopefully they blew their wad in Boston...

Did I hear it was Dominic Moore bobblehead night? :unsure:

They looked pretty good in Boston last night, too. Hopefully they're tired.

I think our guys will show up tonight. There's no reason why this team can't build off of wins, so why it hasn't happened is beyond me. that said, it has to start now if we want a chance at the playoffs, do or die. Hope they have the same attitude!!

According to the Sabres website:

Linky

Roy is moving to the wing on a line Moore will center:

Head Coach Lindy Ruff reported that the centerman will likely pair with Derek Roy for the game, at least to start, moving Roy to the wing.

?That?s based on the fact that Derek has played some of his best hockey over there,? Ruff said. ?I?ve given a lot of thought as to where to play him? I think we?ll take it game-to-game and I?m excited to get a look at him.?

I can't say that's what I expected to happen, but that could be interesting.

Well, it worked the other day so I'm sticking with the formula.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't like the Sabres when coming off a big win against a divisional opponent that ranks higher in the standings. It seems that they always come out flat after big wins when they play teams perceived as inferior. If anyone has ever looked at their record when playing worse teams after beating better teams I'd be interested to know what their record is. Yeah, I know Lindy's been riding them hard and all but this team just seems to lack the maturity (read: focus) to do what it takes to stay sharp after big wins. You can bet the Coyotes will come out hell bent for leather (I have NO idea what that means, BTW) so it'll be interesting to see how the Sabres respond to that.

GO SABRES!!!

According to the Sabres website:

Linky

Roy is moving to the wing on a line Moore will center:

Head Coach Lindy Ruff reported that the centerman will likely pair with Derek Roy for the game, at least to start, moving Roy to the wing.

?That?s based on the fact that Derek has played some of his best hockey over there,? Ruff said. ?I?ve given a lot of thought as to where to play him? I think we?ll take it game-to-game and I?m excited to get a look at him.?

I can't say that's what I expected to happen, but that could be interesting.

My guess is the lines will be:

Stafford - Connolly - Vanek

Roy - Moore - Afinogenov

Hecht - Gaustad - Pominville

Paille - Mair - Kaleta

This a must win. A loss to the Yotes and the Sabres can start getting out the clubs.

Last Saturday has to be rock bottom. They had the long meeting, made a couple of minor deals and beat the Habs pretty good. They should steam roll the Yotes. If they lose this one, any momentum that may have been built this week is gone.

The only thing I would quibble with is the idea the Sabres played "great" against Montreal. They were outshot something like 18-3 to start the game. Only Lalime and Lydman's crafty stick kept them from falling behind.

That said, I'll be shocked if they don't lay a thumping on the Coyotes. And I'm normally the pessimistic fan. The game in Ottawa is the one that worries me.

Big Game Tonight, Statement Game, Real Important game tonight, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,........ NEWS Flash, Understatement we are no longer allowed to say that on game day threads, please just PIN BIG GAME TONIGHT on start of all game day threads. They are all big from here out......... Sorry had to get that off my chest.

18 games left, still sitting tied for 9th/10th with the Canes outside looking in. 10 of those 18 against teams we are fighting for one of the 8 spots in the ECF and 9 of those 10 teams currently ahead of us, oh and another 6 against teams not in top 10 but we have struggled against(TO,OTT,ATL)...So can we all say PRESSURE....

So statistically speaking using Carps formula of 93-94 points minimun to get in top 8 we will need at least 12 of the 18 games, a .666 win percentage or greater to get in , uhmmm :unsure: maybe we should have picked up SATAN off waivers.

Now the real fun begins, are we for real or a prentender. Can we show we know to come prepared and play inspired, passionate hockey game in and game out. I am not expecting miracles and to win every game but I do expect them to play like their backs are up against the wall because frankly they are...

Lets' go Bflo, no more excuses will be tolerated, no shame in losing as long as you gave it your all, now lets just . Get-r-done. :chris:

My guess is the lines will be:

Stafford - Connolly - Vanek

Roy - Moore - Afinogenov

Hecht - Gaustad - Pominville

Paille - Mair - Kaleta

That seems right. Paille better not be the odd man out after Tuesday's game. He played too well to be taken out of the lineup. Plus he fits in better with that 4th line than MacArthur would. At this point, I think MacArthur gets stuck playing the waiting game for either a top 3 line injury or Afinogenov's eventual collapse. Paille, Mair, Kaleta, and Ellis all seem to be pretty interchangeable for that 4th line.

<_< Don't mock me round eye..... :D

I really wasn't mocking. It's just that everyone's analysis is dead on and I had nothing else to add. Also, I'm just so exhausted over thinking about what we need to do to win and make the playoffs(line combinations, teams to beat, four point games, teams I want to lose, etc...). Today, I woke up and wasn't thinking about any of that. I was just glad that there was a game on and can't wait to watch.

ROCK'EM SABRES!!

p.s. Boy, I sure hope we win.

Versus all of the teams we are competing with (except the Habs), this is a game-in-hand. We need to take advantage of it. The Rangers, Pens and Hurricanes won their 65th games, while Florida lost its 65th. A win keeps the Sabres in control of their own destiny (they still have the 8th highest current points + available points in the EC); a loss and they need help to get in. No excuses. After the Islanders games, I hope that they have finally realize that there are no gimme games and that every game has to be fought for. If they haven't, they are done (there are seven games left verses teams that are out of contention.)

Win it, boys!!

This a must win. A loss to the Yotes and the Sabres can start getting out the clubs.

Last Saturday has to be rock bottom. They had the long meeting, made a couple of minor deals and beat the Habs pretty good. They should steam roll the Yotes. If they lose this one, any momentum that may have been built this week is gone.

A loss to the Yotes would hurt, but if you are going to lose at this point, losing to a western team is their best option.

there's a small handful of games that the good guys can drop from here on out - this ain't one of them.

on a side note, it's always fun to have the great one in town. i walked by the hyatt this morning and wondered why a crowd of 30-40 people (most of whom appeared to be canadians) had gathered to gawk at the motor coach parked outside the hotel - then i remembered who the visitors were tonight.

I'll be there in the 100s behind the penalty boxes (got free seats :P) Looking forward to seeing Moore in person in his first game. I wonder what number he's wearing?

I'm also having a hard time deciding on what jersey to wear. Should I wear Numminen or Khmylev?

I'll be there in the 100s behind the penalty boxes (got free seats :P) Looking forward to seeing Moore in person in his first game. I wonder what number he's wearing?

I'm also having a hard time deciding on what jersey to wear. Should I wear Numminen or Khmylev?

18 games left, still sitting tied for 9th/10th with the Canes outside looking in. 10 of those 18 against teams we are fighting for one of the 8 spots in the ECF and 9 of those 10 teams currently ahead of us, oh and another 6 against teams not in top 10 but we have struggled against(TO,OTT,ATL)...So can we all say PRESSURE....

I agree with Ottawa and Atlanta, however other than that one home loss to the leafs early in the season, I'm pretty sure we've wiped them every other time we've played them. Either way, I'm along for the ride, LET'S GO BUFFALO!!

The Sabres still control their own destiny if they lose tonight.

Well, look at that, you are correct. I forgot about the head-to-head games with the Panthers. Just when I thought that the margin of error couldn't get any smaller ...

... let's not count on that and just get the win tonight. :thumbsup:

Archived