GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wjag

I would like to know what Stafford added to the lineup tonight? And what happened with Paille? Was he sick,or perhaps he sustained an injury during warmups or something? I heard "healthy scratch" before the game,but why sit Paille out against a physical team like the B's? Either way the Sabres played there worst period all year during the third. We looked lifeless.

I'm hoping Lindy puts them through some bag skates. Not a very good game. Scratching Paille was a mistake in my opinion. Miller has been having a tough time with his rebound control the last two games and it's resulted in goals against. The Bruins outworked, outhit and outhustled the Sabres tonight. They were everywhere and the Sabres did not respond at all to the physical play of the Bruins. A frustrating game and loss for the Sabres. The Sabres have again reverted to some of this river hockey and the defense isn't coming back and supporting and I think it was a big part of the 3 goals against. They played a better third period, but they need to play like that the whole game.

Well, another long break before the St. Louis game. I'm hoping they clean up their act by then and play a solid, defensive game. Stafford or Kaleta should be the scratches for Wednesday. We need Paille's speed and effort. I don't care if he doesn't show up on the score sheet, but his effort, speed, and hits really help this team more than it hurts. Paille also plays on the PK, which neither Kaleta nor Stafford do. By taking out Paille you eliminate one of our best PKers. He shouldn't be scratched in my opinion. If I'm Lindy, here are my lines for Wednesday

Vanek-Roy-Kotalik (Stafford)

MacArthur-Hecht-Pominville

Max-Connolly-Stafford (Kotalik)

Paille-Gaustad-Mair

I'd rather see a better center playing with Max than Mair. Not that Mair has not been playing well, but I'd like more production out of that line and play Connolly there instead of Mair. Just my opinion.

You're right. The only time Max ever did anything, he was on a line with Roy and Vanek. Either put him back on that line or get rid of him. Roy is really good and Max needs a great center to make up for his dumb decisions.

I think Connolly can play with anyone. He looks great(stay healthy, fingers crossed).

I'm generally not one to question Lindy, but I don't know why Lalime didn't play this one. This was exactly the type of game (in terms of the schedule) he was supposed to play. Now, he probably won't play until either next fri or sat., which means it will be almost 3 full weeks since he played. Gee, I wonder how this is going to turn out?

Miller didn't play terribly, but he didn't play very well either. And the rest of the team simply got outhustled.

It's almost 100% certain that watching the Bills tomorrow will be an equally torturous experience.

Yeccch.

EDIT: on a positive note, Montreal, the Rangers, Philly and the Devils all lost in regulation tonight.

Game thoughts...

- If Paille was a healthy scratch, that is a joke. I would have sat Kaleta or left Stafford in the press box.

-Miller has to cut the crap out with his gestures everytime a goal goes in that he feels he has no chance on. How about trying to be in a better position to keep the puck from entering the net? Or, how about next time he lets in a softie, all 5 guys on the ice lineup right in front of him and make the same WTF gesture. One other thing...what's up with the rebounds?

-Tallinder in the 2nd period allowed Wheeler to skate across the blueline and right into the faceoff circle without coming within 15 feet of him. Even worse, Wheeler then choose to pass the puck.

-Another backup goalie beats the Sabres.

-Kotalik's stint on the top line needs to be over. He is going right back to where I expect him to...Into one of his funks.

-Is Gaustad going to make an impact on this team? Invisible.

If the Bills lose tomorrow, I think you can kiss the playoffs good bye. They're already 0-2 in the division...

Both Buffalo teams started out good, but right now they're sucking a lot of....

Bills win tomorrow and I'll be in a better mood. Gosh, it's so #%^$#!in' tough to be Buffalo sports fan, but I'd live and die by it to remain one.

Wife hates that by the way...

- If Paille was a healthy scratch, that is a joke. I would have sat Kaleta or left Stafford in the press box.

He works harder than anyone out there. This one made no sense.

-Miller has to cut the crap out with his gestures everytime a goal goes in that he feels he has no chance on. How about trying to be in a better position to keep the puck from entering the net? Or, how about next time he lets in a softie, all 5 guys on the ice lineup right in front of him and make the same WTF gesture. One other thing...what's up with the rebounds?

Better yet, how about he stops giving up those juicy rebound that result in free goals. That's one in each of the last two games on shots where keeping it in front of him should be routine.

Better yet, how about he stops giving up those juicy rebound that result in free goals. That's one in each of the last two games on shots where keeping it in front of him should be routine.

Shrader, I looked for #16 and didn't see ya... I could hear 321, though...

There were plenty of Sabre fans there tonight, but the Bruin fans were there in force. It was military appreciation night, which was pretty cool, imo. Those who volunteer for that sacrifice deserve our thanks.

From my vantage point tonight, they simply looked tired after the first.

LB, you're right about Miller and his gestures after he lets one in. Yes there were some tough goals tonight, but the second seemed like a classic Mr. Softie.

I wish I knew where Paille was... :blink:

I'm generally not one to question Lindy, but I don't know why Lalime didn't play this one. This was exactly the type of game (in terms of the schedule) he was supposed to play. Now, he probably won't play until either next fri or sat., which means it will be almost 3 full weeks since he played. Gee, I wonder how this is going to turn out?

Miller didn't play terribly, but he didn't play very well either. And the rest of the team simply got outhustled.

It's almost 100% certain that watching the Bills tomorrow will be an equally torturous experience.

Yeccch.

EDIT: on a positive note, Montreal, the Rangers, Philly and the Devils all lost in regulation tonight.

I didn't get to listen to the game but I have to agree. I have to believe that Miller is helping to call the shots for when he is playing. I have no idea why you don't play Lalime the night after an OT game. I hate to say it, but it seems that the same consistency problems that hindered this team last year are beginning to show again.

Paille was in Lindy's doghouse all of last year, and I guess he's back.

I didn't get to listen to the game but I have to agree. I have to believe that Miller is helping to call the shots for when he is playing. I have no idea why you don't play Lalime the night after an OT game. I hate to say it, but it seems that the same consistency problems that hindered this team last year are beginning to show again.

Well, the team is virtually the same, save for the addition of Rivet and Kalinin being gone, so looking at things from that perspective, I'd say our current record is a step forward, but that we're still lacking discipline and muscle.

What really annoys me about last night is that Miller played again. If Lalime doesn't play the next game regardless of the schedule, well then one thing is becoming very clear - Ruff is the reason our backup goalies usually have a GAA of 4.33 and a SV% of 83.2.

Lalime had one questionable game where the team just took the night off completely, and suddenly it's been all Miller, who's been both brilliant and atrocious during that span.

The backup needs to play to be effective, and the starter needs to rest to be effective as well, so what's the deal here?

It would seem our starter can just as easily "lose" us games as our backup, so get your head out of your ass and give your backup some game time, and keep your starter fresh, Lindy.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Lalime going on a tear?

Better yet, how about he stops giving up those juicy rebound that result in free goals.

That's right. He should be gobbling up these pucks, not letting them bounce off him so they can roof it. Concentration. But the Bruins thoroughly outplayed the Sabres, they took 40 shots. The Sabres had nothing last night, their shots were mainly being forced from the perimeter and they were being pushed around all night.

That's right. He should be gobbling up these pucks, not letting them bounce off him so they can roof it. Concentration. But the Bruins thoroughly outplayed the Sabres, they took 40 shots. The Sabres had nothing last night, their shots were mainly being forced from the perimeter and they were being pushed around all night.

One of the most disappointing things to last nights game is that the 3rd period where typically you would expect Boston to play a bit more conservative and the Sabres to go "balls to the wall", ends up being a period dominated by the Bruins. :(

Everyone keeps focusing on Paille as the scratch. I think the blunder was Peters. If last night isn't the reason for Peters being on the team, then he simply doesn't have a job. How the heck can you let Lucic run around against the Sabres crushing anything that moves? Peters should suit up for every Sabres-Bruins game and put a body on that guy. If he doesn't do this, then he has no job at all. Lucic in the 2nd took control of the game and intimidated the Sabres all by his lonesome...

Well we all know Miller's a headcase. He seems to be in another one of those low self-esteem, woe is me funks.

I ALMOST had the feeling when Lalime was playing that the two were feeding off each other in a friendly competition. I'm not prepared to say yes yet, but the question is worth asking: is this a one-two punch situation? Miller two, Lalime one... ???

wjag and others -- what was Petey gonna do?

I take responsibility for the last two losses. Just like last season, I signed up for Center Ice late, because I was real busy at the begining of the season, and figured I wouldn't be able to watch a lot of the games...I got it hooked up on Friday, just in time to see the boys lose to Atlanta and Boston. Same as last year. I think they lost the first 4 games that I could watch...sorry guys.... :death:

I take responsibility for the last two losses. Just like last season, I signed up for Center Ice late, because I was real busy at the begining of the season, and figured I wouldn't be able to watch a lot of the games...I got it hooked up on Friday, just in time to see the boys lose to Atlanta and Boston. Same as last year. I think they lost the first 4 games that I could watch...sorry guys.... :death:

Actually, I'll take this one. The last couple of comebacks, I would put on my Sabres hat, you know, the one that came with a case of Labatt Blue. Well, I put it on last night and we all know what happened. About 20 minutes after the game I walked by a mirror, and to my horror...I had accidentally put on my Bills hat instead, you know, the one came in the case of Labatt Blue. I'm really sorry...it won't happen again.

Well we all know Miller's a headcase. He seems to be in another one of those low self-esteem, woe is me funks.

I ALMOST had the feeling when Lalime was playing that the two were feeding off each other in a friendly competition. I'm not prepared to say yes yet, but the question is worth asking: is this a one-two punch situation? Miller two, Lalime one... ???

Do I really need to answer this?

This team goes as Miller goes. Lalime is a non-factor. There is no one-two punch. You rest Miller when need be and hope you steal some points with Lalime in there.

Peters would have done what he always does, nothing. If there is a player out there running around nailing Sabres on every shift it should be up to Gaustad to put down his purse and put a stop to it.

Also,

Did anyone notice late in the first period when Rick was talking about Kessel? He said Kessel sat out a lot of games in his first year and said "what a mistake that was". Am I wrong or didn't Kessel miss games because he had cancer? Rick may want to cut down on the pre game cocktails or something.

Archived