GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wjag

7:00PM

Never thought to start a GDT before, so why the heck not..

Buffalo plays the second of two in two nights with travel to the homestanding Bruins (did that for a few of you Joe B fans). The Bruins finish their three game home stand with the Sabres. They are rested and on a roll after beating the Stars and Leafs.

The Sabres gave up an early OT winner to Atlanta after Roy got called for a questionable OT penalty... Thomas has been a hot goalie over the last five games with two shutouts and four wins.

Buffalo needs to withstand the inevitable first period charge of a rested team playing a team who played the night before and traveled.

Buffalo is healthy for the first time in a long time. Sure feels like a La.. La.. La.. Lalime game...

Rebound game at the Bruins expense... Come on Sabres, save part of the Buffalo sports fans weekend against Boston...

I don't expect the Sabres to win this game, and they might even get smoked by a rested Bruins team. Boston always seems to get the first goal against us. If that's the case tonight, I don't see a very strong come from behind effort after last night. 4-1 Bruins. :blush:

This is a huge test for the Sabres. I know they've already lost two games in a row this season, but I think the Sabres are going to bounce back and not let that happen again tonight. The Sabres are healthy and there is no reason for them to play poorly because they played the night before. All teams have to deal w/ it.

I have two concerns. First, Tim Thomas. He is one of the better goalies in the game now. He finally has a team in front of him. Second, the Sabres got away from the somewhat conservative play last night. They fell into the wide open hockey Atlanta likes to play and the Sabres lost. I hope the Sabres play more a more conservative, no gambles by the defense, ugly game tonight. Throw the puck at the net and stuff happens.

Atlanta seems to own the Sabres. They're a crappy team Buffalo has had trouble w/ the past two seasons. Ottawa had the same problem w/ Washington last year. I don't know if I should use Washington as an example, though. They were, and still are, a decent team.

I agree, but I disagree. I think Miller will WANT to play tonight. Not that last night was his completely his fault, but he often wants to make up for a loss right away. He gets fired up after games like last night.

I can see why Lalime needs to play tonight. You can't let him sit too much and yes, Miller could be a bit tired after last night.

I'll be content w/ whatever decision Ruff makes.

I bet Stafford goes in and Kaleta comes out tonight. Not that Kaleta is playing that poorly, but I wouldn't let Stafford sit to long.

I was thinking the same thing. And also I'm not positive on the lines, but if I recall, wasn't the 3rd or 4th line Kaleta, Gaustad, and Paille? If so, that line becomes a lot more dangerous when you throw Stafford in Kaleta's place... not to take away from what he's doing, but he's not much of a goal scorer.

I was thinking the same thing. And also I'm not positive on the lines, but if I recall, wasn't the 3rd or 4th line Kaleta, Gaustad, and Paille? If so, that line becomes a lot more dangerous when you throw Stafford in Kaleta's place... not to take away from what he's doing, but he's not much of a goal scorer.

I dont think you take Kaleta out...Leave it the way it is..Kaleta has been playing well.I would make Stafford sit till he gets his head out of his arse..

I dont think you take Kaleta out...Leave it the way it is..Kaleta has been playing well.I would make Stafford sit till he gets his head out of his arse..

But how do you know when that is if he isn't playing games? :ph34r:

Don't get me wrong, I've been one of Stafford's biggest critics this year. I hate the way he's played. He's been invisible and the only thing productive that I can remember him doing so far this year is his goal against Boston. But I just don't see Lindy sitting him for a long time, even if it means alternating between scratched players.

Lalime will probably get the start tonight............ :beer:

Probably yes , maybe no, Ruff may want Miller to have a played a solid game before he sits him. He made him play out of the last 5-x game he lost at home and while Miller wasn't that bad last night, the rebounds he kept putting on Atlanta's sticks last night were bad. It looked like he was trying to kick them up the ice to jump start the offense which was also playing too lucy goosey instead of the defense first mode we are supposed to play. Ruff didn't look too happy about that last night.

I bet Stafford goes in and Kaleta comes out tonight. Not that Kaleta is playing that poorly, but I wouldn't let Stafford sit to long.

Nope don't see it happening with Kaletta tonight maybe someone else. Boston plays hard and physical and they have that giant in backend that's been known to do some stupid things, so who better to get Chara off his game than Kaletta running/hitting him once or twice pretty hard. Then Chara will be looking for/chasing him the rest of the night.

Don't like buffalo's chances on the these back to back nights but it's a road game and they should be a little tired so at least they should play the defense first mode all night. Should not be an open game like last night or at least I hope not otherwise I think we'll be trouble. IMHO special teams will be the difference in a 2-1 game. We need to get a huge game outta our goal tender.

Interesting dilemma for Boston Thomas coming off 2 1-0 shut outs himself but Auld has owned us in recent matchups... Thinking we'll see Auld again but either way would be nice if we could get one of those bounces go our way games like Atlanta had against us last night... Go Sabres....

Nope don't see it happening with Kaletta tonight maybe someone else. Boston plays hard and physical and they have that giant in backend that's been known to do some stupid things, so who better to get Chara off his game than Kaletta running/hitting him once or twice pretty hard. Then Chara will be looking for/chasing him the rest of the night.

Both Guastad and Paille have done a great job in the past getting under Chara's skin in Boston. That job can be done with or without Kaleta.

For anyone who will be going tonight, we've got the bills backers group up in 321. Look for the white Perreault jersey. I'd have no problem putting a few faces to the names around here. I get the feeling that we're going to have the usual ~50% of this crowd tonight.

But how do you know when that is if he isn't playing games? :ph34r: Don't get me wrong, I've been one of Stafford's biggest critics this year. I hate the way he's played. He's been invisible and the only thing productive that I can remember him doing so far this year is his goal against Boston. But I just don't see Lindy sitting him for a long time, even if it means alternating between scratched players.

practice and attitude..I really havent seen what all the fuss was about Stafford..I see a lazy hockey player right now..Looks like he is stuck in lala mode all the time....

On a side note..Max is firing the puck an awful lot and hitting the net..Its only a matter of time before they start going in..He led the team last night with 5 shots on net in only 12 minutes of Ice time..

Lalime will probably get the start tonight............ :beer:

I have no problem with that. I'm in Boston right now and headed to the game, going to a bar near the rink in about an hour or so. I do think Lalime will play and i am confident in him. For Boston though, it wouldn't shock me if Manny Fernandez played. He has been off for a while due to Tim Thomas playing so well and getting shutouts.

This is a pretty big game IMO. A division game, on the road, we played back to back nights..... if we win tonight i think alot of people will start to consider the Sabres as a much better team then they thought.

The PP will be a true test. To be successful against Boston, they gotta stay out of the box and when Boston hands us a power play, we must take advantage of it.

Both Guastad and Paille have done a great job in the past getting under Chara's skin in Boston. That job can be done with or without Kaleta.

For anyone who will be going tonight, we've got the bills backers group up in 321. Look for the white Perreault jersey. I'd have no problem putting a few faces to the names around here. I get the feeling that we're going to have the usual ~50% of this crowd tonight.

Yeah but adding Kaletta it should be guaranteed and then we have a couple lines that can take him off his game. :thumbsup:

Good luck I'll be listening for the Sabres chants during the game....

I'll be there... Loge 13, row 6. Look for the big guy with twin almost 4 year olds in slug sweaters...

BTW, Roy has worked on Chara, too, recently.

Stop by the Harp, across the street. It will be a Bills Backer spot tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Don't worry, i'm headed there in like 30 minutes when my buddy gets out of the shower. lol it was a late night for us last night.... we went clubbing and met Rondo AND Perkins from the Celtics. lol

And then drank and partied til about 5 in the morning.

Interesting dilemma for Boston Thomas coming off 2 1-0 shut outs himself but Auld has owned us in recent matchups... Thinking we'll see Auld again but either way would be nice if we could get one of those bounces go our way games like Atlanta had against us last night... Go Sabres....

I'm sure Baahston would like to have Auld, but he's in Ottawa now... ;)

We need to score first in this one.

I was not impressed with some of the goals Miller allowed last night. Part of me says play him again to get his game back on track right away, the other says give him the night off.

He looked to be guessing a lot last night and the winner was an easy save but he allowed a big rebound which cost us the extra point.

Granted we played loose, but he was not sharp.

Hope we bounce back tonight.

Don't worry, i'm headed there in like 30 minutes when my buddy gets out of the shower. lol it was a late night for us last night.... we went clubbing and met Rondo AND Perkins from the Celtics. lol

And then drank and partied til about 5 in the morning.

Slacker :rolleyes:

I just gave a "Hi" to Larry Quinn in the Suites last night. He actually stopped for a second and talked, well, like 30 seconds. He's alright. I asked him if he was going to re-sign Timbo and he walked away.

We need to score first in this one.

I was not impressed with some of the goals Miller allowed last night. Part of me says play him again to get his game back on track right away, the other says give him the night off.

He looked to be guessing a lot last night and the winner was an easy save but he allowed a big rebound which cost us the extra point.

Granted we played loose, but he was not sharp.

Hope we bounce back tonight.

Agree on the rebounds, but some nights they end up on the D's stick and you hardly notice them, and other nights, well....

The only goal that really bothered me in a big way last night though, was the Thrashers' second. Yes, Lydman gets schooled, but that shot should never have gone in anyway, Miller just panicked on that play and was flopping around on the ice as the puck slipped under him.

I'm hoping Ruff will play Lalime, not because I have it in for Miller after last night, but if he's serious about playing his backup for 20+ games, then he needs to, well.... Play him.

Archived