Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

She'll sit and watch a show, if it's something she hasn't seen a couple of times already. After that, it's useless to her unless it's Barbie whatever. Other than that, yah ... 2-3 times watching it, and she won't sit through it again.'

I hate seeing medication as an answer as well. I love that my wife wants to try these "natural oils" as an alternative, and I swear they work sometimes ... but it's like the TV shows: they work once or twice, then *poof*. All the magic's gone.

I like the puzzle idea. I'm going to the local thrift store (which constantly has an influx of unopened puzzles, which we normally get the 50-pieces for her, but they also have 100-500 piece puzzles as well) to get her some new ones.

Puzzles are a great idea. Maybe she'd be interested in Legos too?

Has she shown any interest in drawing or creating things?

Like you said, she shows interest in TV shows and other things as long as she doesn't get bored with them. That means she constantly needs new material. Encouraging her to create that entertainment material might be an idea.

Sorry to keep pestering you, but ...

Have you thought of "alternative" (not Western medicine) treatments ... maybe cognative therapy through a trained child Psychologist and / or a holistic approach to treatment?

Actually, my wife and I are very much into these natural oils through this company called Doterra. Reputed as being the best in the world as far as natural oils go, we've noticed mild success with some of them with her ADHD, though not on a regular basis. I think most of that had to do with diet. We're working on regulating that a lot more stringently, eliminating all white flour products and sugars (even switched to all natural peanut butter. that sh** COSTS!!!).

Puzzles are a great idea. Maybe she'd be interested in Legos too?

Has she shown any interest in drawing or creating things?

Like you said, she shows interest in TV shows and other things as long as she doesn't get bored with them. That means she constantly needs new material. Encouraging her to create that entertainment material might be an idea.

She LOVES drawing. We got her an entire "artist" set. Tons of colored pencils, crayons, paints ... she loves it. Just doesn't keep her focus very long.

Hmm ... "Encouraging her to create that entertainment material might be an idea." So, what I need to do is get her a video camera and teach her how to use the Adobe CS suite. That's NOT a bad idea!!! With some of the rambling stories she's come up with, I think she'd make some extremely Tim Burton-esque movies that would shoot straight to the top. </biased_parent_squawk>

• Like (+1) 1

Actually, my wife and I are very much into these natural oils through this company called Doterra. Reputed as being the best in the world as far as natural oils go, we've noticed mild success with some of them with her ADHD, though not on a regular basis. I think most of that had to do with diet. We're working on regulating that a lot more stringently, eliminating all white flour products and sugars (even switched to all natural peanut butter. that sh** COSTS!!!).

She LOVES drawing. We got her an entire "artist" set. Tons of colored pencils, crayons, paints ... she loves it. Just doesn't keep her focus very long.

Hmm ... "Encouraging her to create that entertainment material might be an idea." So, what I need to do is get her a video camera and teach her how to use the Adobe CS suite. That's NOT a bad idea!!! With some of the rambling stories she's come up with, I think she'd make some extremely Tim Burton-esque movies that would shoot straight to the top. </biased_parent_squawk>

Haha, hey man, encourage it. She might not have ADHD so much as she is just extremely smart and needs an outlet for it. Artists, especially good ones, tend to display characteristics like she does. Ask her to write down her ideas and stories. Give her notebooks to draw and write in. Buy a set of old encyclopedias for her at a garage sale or a used book store. Give her a dictionary too. She'll read those encyclopedias cover to cover, and can use the dictionary to learn words she doesn't know.

I know she's only six, but six year olds can understand some crazy sh*t.

• Like (+1) 1

Haha, hey man, encourage it. She might not have ADHD so much as she is just extremely smart and needs an outlet for it. Artists, especially good ones, tend to display characteristics like she does. Ask her to write down her ideas and stories. Give her notebooks to draw and write in. Buy a set of old encyclopedias for her at a garage sale or a used book store. Give her a dictionary too. She'll read those encyclopedias cover to cover, and can use the dictionary to learn words she doesn't know.

I know she's only six, but six year olds can understand some crazy sh*t.

tell me about it. she definitely knows how to say "the sabres suck A**!!!!" she's been saying it for months, despite our attempts to get her to quit swearing. :)

monkey see, monkey do, i guess.

yah, those are some awesome ideas man. i'm gonna go peruse the thrift store in the morning. they always have at least partial sets of encyclopedias and dictionaries. shouldn't be too hard to find her something!

and thanks to everyone else for all the help and support!

tell me about it. she definitely knows how to say "the sabres suck A**!!!!" she's been saying it for months, despite our attempts to get her to quit swearing. :)

monkey see, monkey do, i guess.

yah, those are some awesome ideas man. i'm gonna go peruse the thrift store in the morning. they always have at least partial sets of encyclopedias and dictionaries. shouldn't be too hard to find her something!

and thanks to everyone else for all the help and support!

You got it man. I'm just riffing off of things my girlfriend said she used to do when she was a kid. She was a hyperactive kid as well and although not quite to the extent of your daughter, similar tactics might be effective.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Today was a great example of why I love this thread (and the various posters on this board). To steal the WGR headline from the other day, "You're awesome, Buffalo" (and Novia Scotia, and anywhere else you call home). :worthy:

And now that Chris is feeling better about things, I'll share one last complaint for the week: ice. I went snowboarding on Sunday night and had a great time, but this wonky "winter" weather has resulted in a good bit of ice on the slopes. I caught an edge coming off the lift and slammed both my knees onto a solid patch of it, and later in the evening hit them again when some jerk cut me off going down the hill. I'd love to go boarding again this weekend, but it's probably a bad idea since my knees are all purple and green and still sore to the touch. On the plus side, at least I saw my bf Sunday morning.

Today was a great example of why I love this thread (and the various posters on this board). To steal the WGR headline from the other day, "You're awesome, Buffalo" (and Novia Scotia, and anywhere else you call home). :worthy:

And now that Chris is feeling better about things, I'll share one last complaint for the week: ice. I went snowboarding on Sunday night and had a great time, but this wonky "winter" weather has resulted in a good bit of ice on the slopes. I caught an edge coming off the lift and slammed both my knees onto a solid patch of it, and later in the evening hit them again when some jerk cut me off going down the hill. I'd love to go boarding again this weekend, but it's probably a bad idea since my knees are all purple and green and still sore to the touch. On the plus side, at least I saw my bf Sunday morning.

Suuuuure... the bruised knees were from snowboarding. Got it. :thumbsup:

Just when I get my neck & upper back calmed down, I do something to pull a muscle in my mid-back. I see a sports chiropractor who uses kiniseo tape and now my back is taped from just below my neck to my lower back. I'm fine moving & walking around, but it gets uncomfortable if I sit or lay down for a while.

And...it's not (quite) Friday yet.

Go through the Tim Hortons drive-thru this morning. Total comes to $2.91. I give the cashier a $20. She gives me $17 back and goes to get my order. When she comes back, I ask for the rest of my change, and she gives me $.91.

So the question is, does she not give a ######, or never made it past 3rd grade math?

Living in a town that has a cookie factory is not a good thing.

In an attempt to live a healthier life, I quit smoking last year. Inevitably, a few pounds have creeped onto my little frame and I have been walking walking walking most mornings. Today is beautiful! Perfect day for a healthy, invigorating walk around the neighborhood.

Archway/Lance is baking this morning. Heavy, strong smell of warm chocolate chip cookies in the air. Makes it hard to focus...all I want now is a cookie instead of my usual yogurt/granola/berry breakfast.

Go through the Tim Hortons drive-thru this morning. Total comes to $2.91. I give the cashier a $20. She gives me $17 back and goes to get my order. When she comes back, I ask for the rest of my change, and she gives me $.91.

So the question is, does she not give a ######, or never made it past 3rd grade math?

I understand that it is a Canadian icon and very addictive, but your big mistake was going to Tim's in the first place ... that stuff is nasty.

Living in a town that has a cookie factory is not a good thing.

In an attempt to live a healthier life, I quit smoking last year. Inevitably, a few pounds have creeped onto my little frame and I have been walking walking walking most mornings. Today is beautiful! Perfect day for a healthy, invigorating walk around the neighborhood.

Archway/Lance is baking this morning. Heavy, strong smell of warm chocolate chip cookies in the air. Makes it hard to focus...all I want now is a cookie instead of my usual yogurt/granola/berry breakfast.

congrats on the quitting. I wish a few people I know would quit. They've tried, but have not prevailed. It takes a lot of will power so kudos.

My only complaint today is having to go to calling hours for a HS senior that commited suicide in my town. His sister and my sister have been friends since they could run on the soccer field together, so she's coming home from Daemen today for the calling hours as well. It's really just too sad. :(

Hatred. Jealousy. Selfishness. Narcissism.

For anyone who's been following this Josh Powell story, you'll know what I mean. I would say that "those of us in Utah are reeling," but this isn't just a Utah story. This is so horrific and enraging that it transcends state borders, or even nationalities. You *JUST DO NOT KILL YOUR OWN CHILDREN SO YOUR IN-LAWS CAN'T HAVE THEM EITHER.*

Some background for those not familiar with the story: Josh Powell's wife, Susan, has been missing since December 2009. He--Josh--is a prime suspect, and has been under intense scrutiny for over 2 years. No charges filed, no real evidence found ... lots of circumstantial evidence, but nothing concrete. Meanwhile, his in-laws have been given custody of his two boys, Charlie and Braden (7 and 5 respectively). He got supervised visits, but that's about it.

That's the *extremely* condensed versions.

Breaking news Sunday just before the SB was that he blew up his house, taking himself out. Then the story got worse: his kids had just shown up, and he (Josh) pushed the case worker out of his house and locked the door. We all sat stunned and ... confused? Hurt? Shocked? Flat-out pissed? THEN, as if it could get any worse, in the autopsy, it was revealed that the kids had "chop marks" on their skull and necks. He tried killing his kids *before* blowing them up. The case worker actually could hear the kids screaming inside just before the house blew up.

I don't know about you, but I just don't want to live in a world where a parent cares more about hurting the in-laws by killing his own children than letting them live and experience life. I also don't want to accept that people like that even exist.

When my wife and I put our girls to bed Sunday night, it was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do. I didn't want to let go of them. I wanted them on my lap, with their little arms wrapped around my neck and chest. I wanted to stroke their hair and look at their little cherubic faces. My wife and I went downstairs and just bawled and bawled .. out of confusion, out of pure rage ... out of a sense of complete and utter loss.

I've felt like this one other time: September 12, 2001. It was a horrible, ugly feeling then. Sunday, it was just so much worse.

So here's my complaint for today: shi**y f***ing parents who put their narcissism and hatred for in-laws over the well being of their own children to the point where they actually try chopping off their heads before blowing them up.

THEN, as if it could get any worse, in the autopsy, it was revealed that the kids had "chop marks" on their skull and necks. He tried killing his kids *before* blowing them up. The case worker actually could hear the kids screaming inside just before the house blew up.

I don't really want to dive into this story too deeply for all the despicable reasons you mentioned, but I have to ask about this one. Is that where they're going with that detail now? When I first heard that, I just assumed the marks were from flying debris in the explosion.

Either way, the guy is/was pure trash and if there really is something after death, he'll get what's coming to him. And on that note, I won't say another word on this story.

I don't really want to dive into this story too deeply for all the despicable reasons you mentioned, but I have to ask about this one. Is that where they're going with that detail now? When I first heard that, I just assumed the marks were from flying debris in the explosion.

Either way, the guy is/was pure trash and if there really is something after death, he'll get what's coming to him. And on that note, I won't say another word on this story.

We all hoped and thought the same thing. Unfortunately, the hatchet that was found next to the bodies fits the wounds.

The tragedy in that aspect? That didn't kill them; asphyxiation did.

congrats on the quitting. I wish a few people I know would quit. They've tried, but have not prevailed. It takes a lot of will power so kudos.

My only complaint today is having to go to calling hours for a HS senior that commited suicide in my town. His sister and my sister have been friends since they could run on the soccer field together, so she's coming home from Daemen today for the calling hours as well. It's really just too sad. :(

I am so sorry to hear of the death of another senior. In the high school in our town where my daughter is a senior, we have had 2 (TWO!) senior boys kill themselves just before the holidays. At about the same time, one town over, another senior boy killed himself as well. That makes THREE here in a short period of time. Renders me speechless...much like the Josh Powell story above. So much sadness.

I am so sorry to hear of the death of another senior. In the high school in our town where my daughter is a senior, we have had 2 (TWO!) senior boys kill themselves just before the holidays. At about the same time, one town over, another senior boy killed himself as well. That makes THREE here in a short period of time. Renders me speechless...much like the Josh Powell story above. So much sadness.

Wow that is a lot of sadness :(

I just hate seeing suicides. I hate seeing young people die in general, but suicide is the worst :(

I tried to make it different enough to respect the tradition of the Complaint Thurdays thread. but it seems you can't make everyone happy...

Especially on thursday. I've always bitched about stupid cashiers and drivers in here. I'm not taking it anywhere else.

This freaking bipolar winter is wreaking havoc on my sinuses. Warm one day, raining, then cold and snowy, then warm again...

I hear ya, I always think I'm getting sick and then I don't. It's driving me batty!

Also, no pond hockey makes me a sad sad boy.