Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

That probably wasn't the greatest decision. Then again, not my kid so easy for me to say.

Mortgage rates are at historic lows, even for these times. 15 years are at 3.125. Decisions, decisions - suck up a 25% increase in mortgage payment and shave 12 years or do something different. 20 years are the sweet spot, but they are at 3.75, the same as a 30 year. If only the 20 year would drop to 3.5 - it would make my decision a lot easier.

I would read everything Ric Edelman has to say about mortgages... Here is one article:

http://www.ricedelman.com/cs/education/article?articleId=232&titleParam=11+Great+Reasons+to+Carry+a+Big%2C+Long+Mortgage

and there are many more.

I would read everything Ric Edelman has to say about mortgages... Here is one article:

http://www.ricedelma...C+Long+Mortgage

and there are many more.

It's an interesting view that I am not unfamiliar with. Its advisability varies, depending on the individual financial circumstances of the consumer, their age, the extent to which they have realized their income capacity, and anticipated future expenditures.

Office furniture. Why is this stuff so expensive?

Fortunately there's a place on Monroe Ave. in Rochester that sells used office furniture. http://www.tedcohensofficefurniture.com/

If you're in the area and ever need a chair, desk, couches, whatever, check these guys out. Gave me a great deal on a nice used HON task chair. $50 flat on credit, go with cash if you want a cheaper price.

Office furniture. Why is this stuff so expensive?

Fortunately there's a place on Monroe Ave. in Rochester that sells used office furniture. http://www.tedcohens...efurniture.com/

If you're in the area and ever need a chair, desk, couches, whatever, check these guys out. Gave me a great deal on a nice used HON task chair. $50 flat on credit, go with cash if you want a cheaper price.

Come on, man; head to Fred Stanfield's Office Furniture and help an alumnus out!

It's an interesting view that I am not unfamiliar with. Its advisability varies, depending on the individual financial circumstances of the consumer, their age, the extent to which they have realized their income capacity, and anticipated future expenditures.

The bottom line for most average people is that having money locked up in your house is not the best course to take. When you need it most, like losing your job, you can't get it out because no one will loan you the money with no means of repayment.

3.75% is cheap, cheap money. Not sure why anyone would be in a hurry to repay that. Liquidity has a ton of upside.

BTW, we are looking to go from 4 3/4 to 3 7/8 ourselves. I'd rather save the $280 bones per month than give to the bank.

The bottom line for most average people is that having money locked up in your house is not the best course to take. When you need it most, like losing your job, you can't get it out because no one will loan you the money with no means of repayment.

3.75% is cheap, cheap money. Not sure why anyone would be in a hurry to repay that. Liquidity has a ton of upside.

BTW, we are looking to go from 4 3/4 to 3 7/8 ourselves. I'd rather save the $280 bones per month than give to the bank.

I am at 5% now 3 years into a 30 on the big house, and looking to cut my term. Going to 3.75 over 20 is a negligible increase in the payment - about 5%. The 15 year at 3.125 results in a good bump up on the payment, but also builds a ton of equity in a hurry that will be available for college tuition if necessary. We don't have wild fluctuations in the housing market like the rest of the world, so I'm not banking on appreciation.

Come on, man; head to Fred Stanfield's Office Furniture and help an alumnus out!

Bah, that's all the way in Buffalo!

I'll keep it in mind if I ever move back though.

I have some friends who run a reuse furniture place in Lockport as well. Check em out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodchuck-Furniture-Lighting-Design/118295131563226

****ing ADHD and ****ing Concerta. Son of a ...

My daughter is 6. She weighs about 35 pounds. Concerta literally destroys her appetite. She's constantly grumpy, never eats, and dammit, she's just pissy..

The problem is that the natural supplements we're trying instead of the Concerta aren't doing a ***ing thing. She acts up in Kindergarten, constantly has a "red" or "yellow" day (scale: green, yellow, red, double red, principal's office), and doesn't listen to my wife or me worth a damn. But she eats like a horse and has actually put on mass in the few weeks we've tried the supplements.

I wanted to believe. I wanted to think that these were the cure-all for her ADHD and appetite. I wanted the cake and to eat it. Turns out the cake has too much salt in it and isn't edible. Also turns out that my kid is basically screwed for life.

For the love of GOD, if you're considering doing meth, please do yourself and society a favor--do not reproduce. You'll only hate yourself in the long run. If I could go back in time and stop her birth mother from doing it, I would. Unfortunately, it is what it is, and now my daughter either gets to eat and be healthy BUT suffer in school with no attention span, OR she can get a good education but slowly starve to death in the process.

F*** I hate drugs. I will fight until my dying breath anyone who thinks drugs of ANY kind are "fun" or "cool" or whatever.

I am at 5% now 3 years into a 30 on the big house, and looking to cut my term. Going to 3.75 over 20 is a negligible increase in the payment - about 5%. The 15 year at 3.125 results in a good bump up on the payment, but also builds a ton of equity in a hurry that will be available for college tuition if necessary. We don't have wild fluctuations in the housing market like the rest of the world, so I'm not banking on appreciation.

That's my point - you don't know this, unless you have some super stable job that will never go away. You could find yourself in a number of situations where a bank may decline that loan. Paying off principle is literally stuffing money into your walls and giving someone else the key.

You could cut your rate and invest the savings, while keeping your monthly outlay the same. At least you get to control of your money.

My daughter is 6. She weighs about 35 pounds. Concerta literally destroys her appetite. She's constantly grumpy, never eats, and dammit, she's just pissy..

The problem is that the natural supplements we're trying instead of the Concerta aren't doing a ***ing thing. She acts up in Kindergarten, constantly has a "red" or "yellow" day (scale: green, yellow, red, double red, principal's office), and doesn't listen to my wife or me worth a damn. But she eats like a horse and has actually put on mass in the few weeks we've tried the supplements.

I wanted to believe. I wanted to think that these were the cure-all for her ADHD and appetite. I wanted the cake and to eat it. Turns out the cake has too much salt in it and isn't edible. Also turns out that my kid is basically screwed for life.

For the love of GOD, if you're considering doing meth, please do yourself and society a favor--do not reproduce. You'll only hate yourself in the long run. If I could go back in time and stop her birth mother from doing it, I would. Unfortunately, it is what it is, and now my daughter either gets to eat and be healthy BUT suffer in school with no attention span, OR she can get a good education but slowly starve to death in the process.

F*** I hate drugs. I will fight until my dying breath anyone who thinks drugs of ANY kind are "fun" or "cool" or whatever.

You could try diet. There are many anecdotal reports that various food dyes or preservatives act as ADHD triggers.

That's my point - you don't know this, unless you have some super stable job that will never go away. You could find yourself in a number of situations where a bank may decline that loan. Paying off principle is literally stuffing money into your walls and giving someone else the key.

You could cut your rate and invest the savings, while keeping your monthly outlay the same. At least you get to control of your money.

I am self employed in a pretty stable field. How did your investments do last year? The last quarter brought me up to near flat for the year, which is better than most.

I'm lucky enough to be in a position where it's not an either/or scenario.

today's complaints (I have 2): 1) My dog usually sleeps either (a) on my bed or (b) on the floor next to my bed. Last night was (a). He woke himself up dreaming (the whole puppy noises with feet twitching thing) on two seperate occasions, and just went ballistic barking at a whole lot of nothing. Both times it took me getting out of bed to let him outside to sniff around to get him to quiet down. I feel like I got no sleep :(

2) I haven't seen a lick of snow in weeks and I just want to ski,

Welcome to my world. At least your dog doesn't create extra laundry for you, lol. But I sympathize with the lack of sleep.

Welcome to the last two months of my life, but with me it's our three year old daughter who wakes up 10 times a night and runs into our bed crying about the "monsters" in her room. After the first two weeks of my wife and I taking turns returning her to her bed all night long we have given up and she is sleeping in our bed most of the night while kicking me in the face all night long. Needless to say certain other activities are completely out of the question with the potential of a three year old crashing the party. It's like we have a new born all over again. :censored:

That definitely sucks, man... hopefully your daughter will grow out of this phase before too long so you can also get some sleep (and, ahem, other things).

Mortgage rates are at historic lows, even for these times. 15 years are at 3.125. Decisions, decisions - suck up a 25% increase in mortgage payment and shave 12 years or do something different. 20 years are the sweet spot, but they are at 3.75, the same as a 30 year. If only the 20 year would drop to 3.5 - it would make my decision a lot easier.

I'm envious of both your and SDS's positions... I'm 5 1/2 years into my primary mortgage at 6.375% and 4 1/2 years into a second mortage at 8.875% I took out to waterproof my basement, so the rates near and under 4% would make an enormous difference in my monthly payments. Unfortunately because I responsibly borrowed only what I could afford (no danger of foreclosure) and my home value is only slightly higher than the combined loan balances (not underwater, but very little equity), I can't refinance. :censored:

And Chris -- you win. :( I'm really sorry to hear about the problems with your daughter.

The coulombs are moving way too slowly today. It's 335 and it feels like 7pm.

I was just thinking the same thing :(

wow. Best of luck man :(

I remember reading last week that you thought you had solved it with the natural supplements. I can relate to the problems in a way. My mom was dating this guy when I was in High School, and his youngest son had ADHD, and he was on medication (it's been some time, so I don't remember what it was). He only ate small portions as well. And if he wasn't on his meds, he was almost uncontrollable. 8+ years later of different meds and/or different doses, I saw him this past fall, and he was actually much more focused. I didn't interact with him when I was away at college, so I don't know when the turning point was, but I can tell you, it will eventually get better, I promise.

I am self employed in a pretty stable field. How did your investments do last year? The last quarter brought me up to near flat for the year, which is better than most.

Regardless of the investment risk, counting on access to your equity is not without risk. A father of a boy in my cub scout den slipped while playing catch in the garage and has been in the hospital ever since with a severe spinal cord injury. I doubt he works ever again. His high bar is to be able to move his arms. ###### happens. Plan accordingly.

I would rather have access to my money in a market lull, than have to count on a banker giving me that money back I willingly gave him years ago.

You could try diet. There are many anecdotal reports that various food dyes or preservatives act as ADHD triggers.

We've done that. We've eliminated all white flours and refined sugars other than the occasional jelly bean or M&M as a treat. The sugars are the main culprit; there's no doubt about that. I've seen that with my own eyes. But yes--diet does indeed play a major roll ... except we've done away with the typical triggers.

*sigh*

I actually have a headache from worrying over this.

We've done that. We've eliminated all white flours and refined sugars other than the occasional jelly bean or M&M as a treat. The sugars are the main culprit; there's no doubt about that. I've seen that with my own eyes. But yes--diet does indeed play a major roll ... except we've done away with the typical triggers.

*sigh*

I don't doubt it. You're a noble man for taking on the challege you're faced with.

Are her symptoms constant or do they fluxuate? Is there a way to medicate her only part of the time, so that at least she is eating well on occasion? Are there ways to provide her with nutrients in concentrated amounts so that what little she does eat is at least benficial to her? What is she getting for exercise?

I'm just hoping we can all brainstorm some ideas for you.

I don't doubt it. You're a noble man for taking on the challege you're faced with.

Are her symptoms constant or do they fluxuate? Is there a way to medicate her only part of the time, so that at least she is eating well on occasion? Are there ways to provide her with nutrients in concentrated amounts so that what little she does eat is at least benficial to her? What is she getting for exercise?

If the medication she is on is like the medication Jordan was on (or my sister is on for her ADD), it is like an antibiotic regimen, it has to build up in the system (at least that's what we've been told).

If the medication she is on is like the medication Jordan was on (or my sister is on for her ADD), it is like an antibiotic regimen, it has to build up in the system (at least that's what we've been told).

That makes sense, and so it is probably out of the question that using it occasionally would work.

That makes sense, and so it is probably out of the question that using it occasionally would work.

probably. adding exercise doesn't seem like a bad thing. I do remember Jordan used to be better when he had controlled exercise (i.e. helping us stack wood, going on a long bike ride, hiking, etc).

*sigh*

Chris,

I really feel for you and what you are going through. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Please don't take this the wring way, but ADHD is the diagnosis de jour. It's a "catch-all" and easy diagnosis ... meaning it's what is diagnosed when the docs don't want to work hard at the problem ... IMO. Have you had her tested for allergies? I am also wondering if these symptoms started once she went to school and if she is the only student diagnosed? I have heard of cases where these symptoms were brought on by something (mold, asbestos insulation ...) in the school. IMO the meds only make matters worse and will cause other problems. Docs give them out like candy and the Parms are only in it for the money.

My cousin's daughter was diagnosed and they later found out that she was "bored" and uninspired by the teacher and subject matter. They put her in a "special" one-on-one teaching situation and she has thrived.

Just some suggestions. Take them for what they are worth. I feel your pain.

Take good care.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Well, thanks. it's just so infuriating. I mean, she's such a good kid, and she's wicked smart. I just hate seeing her fall behind in school because she can't sit still long enough to learn what's being taught.

As far as exercise goes, that's the last thing she needs. :) seriously, she runs around all day. she runs in class. she runs at recess. she runs at home. hell, the kid *runs in her sleep*. I kid you not. I've watched her dream about running. She's kicked herself out of bed from running in her sleep. Granted it's only happened a few times, but still ... running in your SLEEP?!

We've considered putting her back on the Concerta, but in half the dose, then mixing that with vitamin supplements, which we've had her on with some mild success. Honestly, I just think 27mg for a 6 year old is an irresponsible amount to dose as a doctor. I don't care what his credentials are. We know plenty of parents with ADHD children (support groups, friends, etc). NONE of them have that high a dose, even for their high schoolers. AND this doctor wanted to give her ANOTHER med to help with her concentration. "Umm ... isn't that the point of the Concerta? To help her calm down so she can concentrate?" Sill me. Of COURSE not!!!

So ... yah. I've almost developed a bald spot trying to figure this sh** out for her. We're damned if we keep her on the meds, and we're damned if we don't. It's the worst catch-22 ...

Chris,

I really feel for you and what you are going through. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Please don't take this the wring way, but ADHD is the diagnosis de jour. It's a "catch-all" and easy diagnosis ... meaning it's what is diagnosed when the docs don't want to work hard at the problem ... IMO. Have you had her tested for allergies? I am also wondering if these symptoms started once she went to school and if she is the only student diagnosed? I have heard of cases where these symptoms were brought on by something (mold, asbestos insulation ...) in the school.

My cousins daughter was diagnosed and they later found out that she was "bored" and uninspired by the teacher and subject matter. They put her in a "special" one-on-one teaching situation and she has thrived.

Just some suggestions. Take them for what they are worth. I feel your pain.

Take good care.

Thanks man. We've done beyond due dilligence for just that reason--it IS the diagnosis du jour. Unfortunately, she was du joured by 4 different doctors, none of whom were given any prior info. Two doctors, I could chalk up as coincidental. All 4 saying the same thing? Gotta accept it as it is what it is.

As far as the class room goes, it's not just at school, though I suspect boredom VERY well could be a part of it. She's so intelligent. I'm not just saying that as a biased parent; I'm parroting what her preschool teachers and kindergarten teacher have said.

You know ... that's a damn good point though about the boredom. She will sit for HOURS trying to figure out puzzles. It gives her something to focus on, and she enjoys doing them. Hmm.

Thanks man! You just gave me a sh**-load of good ideas. :)

Well, thanks. it's just so infuriating. I mean, she's such a good kid, and she's wicked smart. I just hate seeing her fall behind in school because she can't sit still long enough to learn what's being taught.

As far as exercise goes, that's the last thing she needs. :) seriously, she runs around all day. she runs in class. she runs at recess. she runs at home. hell, the kid *runs in her sleep*. I kid you not. I've watched her dream about running. She's kicked herself out of bed from running in her sleep. Granted it's only happened a few times, but still ... running in your SLEEP?!

We've considered putting her back on the Concerta, but in half the dose, then mixing that with vitamin supplements, which we've had her on with some mild success. Honestly, I just think 27mg for a 6 year old is an irresponsible amount to dose as a doctor. I don't care what his credentials are. We know plenty of parents with ADHD children (support groups, friends, etc). NONE of them have that high a dose, even for their high schoolers. AND this doctor wanted to give her ANOTHER med to help with her concentration. "Umm ... isn't that the point of the Concerta? To help her calm down so she can concentrate?" Sill me. Of COURSE not!!!

So ... yah. I've almost developed a bald spot trying to figure this sh** out for her. We're damned if we keep her on the meds, and we're damned if we don't. It's the worst catch-22 ...

Not a bad idea trying the half dose. I take everything doctors say with a grain of salt after the crap they put my poor grandmother through. I just hate to see medication as the answer to problems like this. It had to have been dealt with in the past, it's not as if overactive children are some new concept.

You say she's very smart, and very high energy. Could it be, as others have said, that she is simply not being stimulated in the right way? Are there thing she responds to such as tv shows or books or types of interaction that slow her down?

*sigh*

Sorry to keep pestering you, but ...

Have you thought of "alternative" (not Western medicine) treatments ... maybe cognative therapy through a trained child Psychologist and / or a holistic approach to treatment?

Not a bad idea trying the half dose. I take everything doctors say with a grain of salt after the crap they put my poor grandmother through. I just hate to see medication as the answer to problems like this. It had to have been dealt with in the past, it's not as if overactive children are some new concept.

You say she's very smart, and very high energy. Could it be, as others have said, that she is simply not being stimulated in the right way? Are there thing she responds to such as tv shows or books or types of interaction that slow her down?

She'll sit and watch a show, if it's something she hasn't seen a couple of times already. After that, it's useless to her unless it's Barbie whatever. Other than that, yah ... 2-3 times watching it, and she won't sit through it again.'

I hate seeing medication as an answer as well. I love that my wife wants to try these "natural oils" as an alternative, and I swear they work sometimes ... but it's like the TV shows: they work once or twice, then *poof*. All the magic's gone.

I like the puzzle idea. I'm going to the local thrift store (which constantly has an influx of unopened puzzles, which we normally get the 50-pieces for her, but they also have 100-500 piece puzzles as well) to get her some new ones.