Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Two weeks ago today I started falling ill. Within 8 days I'd lost 25+ pounds and had spent time in the hospital. I went from a 175 lbs muscled man to a 148 lbs bag of bones in 8 days! I've had the last antibiotic last night. I'm feeling stronger and have gain 7 lbs back. It's going to be a hard road getting it all back.

Two weeks ago today I started falling ill. Within 8 days I'd lost 25+ pounds and had spent time in the hospital. I went from a 175 lbs muscled man to a 148 lbs bag of bones in 8 days! I've had the last antibiotic last night. I'm feeling stronger and have gain 7 lbs back. It's going to be a hard road getting it all back.

Holy crap dude. 

What in the hell is going on here.  Not trying to be nosey mind you, but man that's rough.

Me too dude. Jo calls them "man colds". I get sick and become completely useless. 

Whatever. We suffer more. I am so tired of hearing about how they have periods and babies. Waw waw. Do they live through the hearthbreak of scrotal itch?

I stayed up until 5:30 am finishing the first season of Fargo and playing Dark Souls. Of course this is the morning our other caretaker falls off the face of the earth. Ughhh.

So that's why you've fallen off the cliff in here? Dark Souls and Fargo?  :nana:

Two complaints: Jim Rome, and spending 1k on car repairs and a laptop 

Damn that's awful. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you. Makes my problem look meaningless, but my car basically died yesterday and I'll be shopping for a new one Saturday. Not exciting when you're trying to save for a house.

What in the hell is going on here. Not trying to be nosey mind you, but man that's rough.

Started with the flu and quickly went bacterial pneumonia. One of the antibiotics was literally killing me. Once they figured that out and started me on a different one I started improving. I had honestly considered the fact that I may be done for at one point. Now I'm in my gym and eating like a crazy person. I had a medium pizza yesterday as just a snack.

Started with the flu and quickly went bacterial pneumonia. One of the antibiotics was literally killing me. Once they figured that out and started me on a different one I started improving. I had honestly considered the fact that I may be done for at one point. Now I'm in my gym and eating like a crazy person. I had a medium pizza yesterday as just a snack.

:lol:

Students can be really frustrating sometimes. Coming to office hours for extra help and responding to a question about what you're struggling with by saying "I don't know, everything" is not especially useful. I want to help, I really do, but you gotta give me something to work off of. Additionally, below are some paraphrased emails I have received this week:

"I'm concerned about my grade and I'd like to discuss it. Are you ever in your office, and where is it?" --see: page 1 of the syllabus for instructor information

"I didn't know this assignment would have such a big impact on my grade! Can I do extra credit to make it up?" --see: page 2 of the syllabus for detailed grade breakdown and clear statement of no extra credit being offered

"I have tickets to a concert during the midterm, can I schedule a makeup?" --I can't even...

"I feel like I'm really far behind, can I take the midterm next week?" --The day before the midterm...

"I know you said a newspaper article doesn't count as a scholarly source, but am I allowed to use one for my paper?" --The paper assignment literally says "Though not required, you are encouraged to use non-scholarly sources to add context and depth to your research."

I don't want to give the impression the majority of students are like this, because they're not, but this stuff gets more frustrating by the semester.

Man, those middle two. Priceless.

Not saying you aren't, but how are you for office hours? I find the younger teachers are usually more friendly and easier to ask questions to without them just getting frustrated and asking how I don't get it.

Actually, only 1-2 professors in my department do that. hate it. I'm here for help, no I don't get it

Students can be really frustrating sometimes. Coming to office hours for extra help and responding to a question about what you're struggling with by saying "I don't know, everything" is not especially useful. I want to help, I really do, but you gotta give me something to work off of. Additionally, below are some paraphrased emails I have received this week:

"I'm concerned about my grade and I'd like to discuss it. Are you ever in your office, and where is it?" --see: page 1 of the syllabus for instructor information

"I didn't know this assignment would have such a big impact on my grade! Can I do extra credit to make it up?" --see: page 2 of the syllabus for detailed grade breakdown and clear statement of no extra credit being offered

"I have tickets to a concert during the midterm, can I schedule a makeup?" --I can't even...

"I feel like I'm really far behind, can I take the midterm next week?" --The day before the midterm...

"I know you said a newspaper article doesn't count as a scholarly source, but am I allowed to use one for my paper?" --The paper assignment literally says "Though not required, you are encouraged to use non-scholarly sources to add context and depth to your research."

I don't want to give the impression the majority of students are like this, because they're not, but this stuff gets more frustrating by the semester.

You know, I wasn't the best student in college, but I would never have tried to pull crap like that.  :wacko:

Man, those middle two. Priceless.

Not saying you aren't, but how are you for office hours? I find the younger teachers are usually more friendly and easier to ask questions to without them just getting frustrated and asking how I don't get it.

Actually, only 1-2 professors in my department do that. ###### hate it. I'm here for help, no ###### I don't get it

I used to struggle with this a lot when I first started out teaching, but experience has made me much better with it. Plus I now have a bunch of different ways to explain things, whereas I used to only have like 1-2 ways to present information. I draw lots of pictures! 

Although, I haven't taught a methods course in awhile, so maybe I'm not better so much as the stuff I've been teaching lately is easier :lol:

You know, I wasn't the best student in college, but I would never have tried to pull crap like that.  :wacko:

I don't know if this is a generational thing or a personal thing, but whenever I did worse than I wanted to or if I was in general unprepared for something...I just ate it. If I screwed up, I screwed up, and tried harder the rest of the way. Never once did I ask for extra credit to compensate for my own lackadaisical attitude.

I used to struggle with this a lot when I first started out teaching, but experience has made me much better with it. Plus I now have a bunch of different ways to explain things, whereas I used to only have like 1-2 ways to present information. I draw lots of pictures! 

Although, I haven't taught a methods course in awhile, so maybe I'm not better so much as the stuff I've been teaching lately is easier :lol:

I don't know if this is a generational thing or a personal thing, but whenever I did worse than I wanted to or if I was in general unprepared for something...I just ate it. If I screwed up, I screwed up, and tried harder the rest of the way. Never once did I ask for extra credit to compensate for my own lackadaisical attitude.

That's what I did as well. I was a bad student and my grades were bad and that wasn't the teacher's problem. I remember students always looking for extra credit and wondering if they thought they were still in high school. There's no extra credit in the real world. Either you get the job done or you don't. And you live with the results. 

I did it once, I missed an 8AM Emag test. I walked up to the professor and said, "I screwed up and missed the test, is there any way I can fix it?" He told me he'd take my grade on the final project and use that for the test. I was astounded; maybe he appreciated my honesty.

Edited by MattPie

My 10 year old stepdaughter had an appendectomy on March 7, as hers ruptured.  She was in the hospital for 3 days, then sent home without an antibiotic.  She was fine until this past Saturday, when she started running a 104 fever.  After 5 hours waiting in the ER, she finally got an exam room, and after 3 more hours waiting for a CT scan, they said she had a number of abscesses and needed to transfer her to the children's hospital in Charlotte (we live 30 mins away).  So off we went via ambulance at 4 AM.  

Apparently the surgeon didn't get her cleaned up as good as he thought, and she had 3 abscess clusters, the largest the size of an egg.  She had a drain put in, and I've been staying at the hospital with her all week.  Luckily my office is only 5 minutes away, so I go back and forth during the day. One of the clusters has been drained and eliminated, and now they're working on the other one.  

I'd never even think of asking for something like the quotes you've shown. One time I had to miss an exam for something serious, so I told the professor about it well beforehand and took the test a week before everyone else.

I lump myself into this category too: I don't believe 90% of the students I see are anywhere near ready for a higher education. It took me a year to start reading my textbooks, which, looking back, is absolutely ridiculous, and most people just give a "psh, yeah right" when the professor says it is essential. And if a student is not going to read the textbook, they are most certainly not going to do the ungraded practice problems assigned after every class. And then they are miserable and desperate when they are miles behind and flunk the first two exams. I'm getting a lot better at being a student, but I spent 2-3 semesters not learning the way I should have and still need to make up for it somehow. I should have started college at a maturity level I'm still probably a semester or two away from reaching.

I believe this.  Something has changed along the way.  We went from 'what did my son do?' to 'what did you do to my son?'...  I went to a Bishop Timon.  You didn't dare step out of line as the consequences were immediate and brutal (not an exaggeration).  If you did get in trouble, your parents were going to rain down on you a second time that day.

The world is different now.

Just heard that a mother was getting on a plan and she wiped down both her seat and her children's seats with hand sanitizer and also doused their hands in it. The is wrong with people? You know some bacteria are actually good.

Glad you are on the mend.

Medium, eh.  Amateur ... good friends of our run a *gourmet* pizza shop ... I go for a large ... 1/2 Greca and 1/2 pomadoro ... just for myself.

Check it out ... they deliver ........

http://www.salvatorespizza.ca/

I'd never even think of asking for something like the quotes you've shown. One time I had to miss an exam for something serious, so I told the professor about it well beforehand and took the test a week before everyone else.

I lump myself into this category too: I don't believe 90% of the students I see are anywhere near ready for a higher education. It took me a year to start reading my textbooks, which, looking back, is absolutely ridiculous, and most people just give a "psh, yeah right" when the professor says it is essential. And if a student is not going to read the textbook, they are most certainly not going to do the ungraded practice problems assigned after every class. And then they are miserable and desperate when they are miles behind and flunk the first two exams. I'm getting a lot better at being a student, but I spent 2-3 semesters not learning the way I should have and still need to make up for it somehow. I should have started college at a maturity level I'm still probably a semester or two away from reaching.

I believe this.  Something has changed along the way.  We went from 'what did my son do?' to 'what did you do to my son?'...  I went to a Bishop Timon.  You didn't dare step out of line as the consequences were immediate and brutal (not an exaggeration).  If you did get in trouble, your parents were going to rain down on you a second time that day.

Not comfortable putting a percentage on it, but I certainly think many, many students are probably at least a year or two behind the curve of where colleges expect them to be. While I'm not a fan of many of the specifics of Common Core, and NY's implementation in particular was a total mess (it wasn't all the state's fault, some school districts didn't...or couldn't, thanks to voters...properly budget for implementation), I think the goals are both sound and necessary: raise expectations for students and make school harder in order to better prepare them for college/life. But it's never going to work if parents don't buy in, and in many respects it can exacerbate problems for children growing up in a less than ideal situation (be it economic, medical, or family in nature...or some combination of all three). 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

In high school I prided myself on the ability to do almost no work and still get tremendous grades. I graduated top ten while never once opening a textbook and spending two years never doing a single assignment until the period before it was due. That's what screwed me up at this level. I'm doing fine now, I'm just going to have a rough summer studying for my physics GRE when I didn't learn 3 semesters-worth of material very well. 

In the same vein, and just as tiresome, try hearing people's excuses for not coming to court.  Everyone, from 19 year old idiots (because all 19 year-olds are idiots) to actual adults who appear to be able to function in society. 

One I heard yesterday: "I have alot of stuff going on, man..."  Indeed. 

In high school I prided myself on the ability to do almost no work and still get tremendous grades. I graduated top ten while never once opening a textbook and spending two years never doing a single assignment until the period before it was due. That's what screwed me up at this level. I'm doing fine now, I'm just going to have a rough summer studying for my physics GRE when I didn't learn 3 semesters-worth of material very well. 

This was basically me.