Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Back in late '07/early '08 I had a pretty bad wrist injury. Jammed it on a wall after I got fouled in a HS basketball game. Went to take the foul shot immediately afterward and that's when I realized it. Ball fell well short (it was my left hand and I'm left handed).

I came out of the game for a little while but ended up returning. Struggled the rest of the game. Next day I woke up with a HUGE swell in my wrist, so my mom set up a doctors visit. When we got ready to leave she got a call from her insurance company letting her know that she was no longer covered and hadn't been for over a month.

I didn't want to burden her with that kind of large bill without insurance so I never got it checked out.

Over the last 7/8 years I've had issues with it (range of motion backward is essentially gone so I can't do open-palmed push-ups and similar activities). Tuesday I finally got it checked out now that I'm on my own and have my own insurance. X-Rays showed that I actually broke my wrist pretty badly. Arthritis has already started to set in. Surgery can fix that and help get some strength back in my wrist (range of motion is still gone). Glad I finally know the issue, but I'm not sure I can afford surgery. Haven't heard back from insurance on the costs yet.

How hard were you fouled if you wound up hitting a wall?

Not that hard. I was running full speed for a layup so the light contact sent me to the wall. Wall was WAY too close to the basket, so I had to try to catch myself.

You shoulda punchisized his face. That's a crap thing to say to a coworker you don't even know yet.

You get used to that sort of response when you work with PhDs regularly (sorry, blue, but I'm betting you'll back it). I've found that technical PhD's tend to lack people skills.

Just completed a three day audit. It always feels like taking hundreds of gut punches the entire time. Our goal is a 98 and we only managed a 93. All of other facilities are crushing it getting 98 or better. Our facility just has obstacles that the other ones don't face, ever. I take these audits very personally because of my role. It's one of the ways we are measured at our job performance. It grates under my skin.

I managed to drop my phone while on vacation and broke the glass pretty badly. Thats not my complaint though. My complaint is, $159 to repair it? Seriously?

I'm ordering 3 new pieces of glass for it at $5/each and am going to tackle this $*@# at home.

I fell off my bicycle last night and ended up in the ER.  It was a three-point landing- both hands and my left knee.  The right hand fared the best, minor bruising and scrapes.  Left knee looks a bit like hamburger, but although there are a few deep gouges it's not that bad, and the joint itself is fine.  The left hand was the reason for the visit to the ER.  My thumb bent back coming off the handlebar and when I landed the palm on the pinky finger side took the brunt of it and is pretty sore.  The x-rays were negative though, so I guess it's just sprained.  I'm not taking any pain meds and things are just kinda sore, not really that painful (unless I try to do too much with the left hand).  All in all it could be worse, but it looks like I'm off the bike for a bit.

Not that hard. I was running full speed for a layup so the light contact sent me to the wall. Wall was WAY too close to the basket, so I had to try to catch myself.

I did something similar when I was in eight grade, scrambling for a loose ball (shut up inky) and tripped over the other player.  I wound up going head first into the wall though.  That was a fun one, I remember falling and then next thing I know I was on the other side of the court with a coach checking on me.  It's a good one to look back on and realize how much things have changed today with the concussion scare.  I wound up finishing that practice after waking up.

Back in late '07/early '08 I had a pretty bad wrist injury. Jammed it on a wall after I got fouled in a HS basketball game. Went to take the foul shot immediately afterward and that's when I realized it. Ball fell well short (it was my left hand and I'm left handed).

I came out of the game for a little while but ended up returning. Struggled the rest of the game. Next day I woke up with a HUGE swell in my wrist, so my mom set up a doctors visit. When we got ready to leave she got a call from her insurance company letting her know that she was no longer covered and hadn't been for over a month.

I didn't want to burden her with that kind of large bill without insurance so I never got it checked out.

Over the last 7/8 years I've had issues with it (range of motion backward is essentially gone so I can't do open-palmed push-ups and similar activities). Tuesday I finally got it checked out now that I'm on my own and have my own insurance. X-Rays showed that I actually broke my wrist pretty badly. Arthritis has already started to set in. Surgery can fix that and help get some strength back in my wrist (range of motion is still gone). Glad I finally know the issue, but I'm not sure I can afford surgery. Haven't heard back from insurance on the costs yet.

Ouch, man... how the heck did you fracture your wrist and live with it for so long??  Our health insurance system is surely f*cked up when things like this are allowed to happen.

You get used to that sort of response when you work with PhDs regularly (sorry, blue, but I'm betting you'll back it). I've found that technical PhD's tend to lack people skills.

Yeah, I'm used to it, unfortunately... I'm sympathize with Howard in The Big Bang Theory.

There is a very good reason that I still use Office 2000.

And it isn't because I'm cheap.  Well, I am, but that's not the only reason.

No comments, please, from the peanut gallery concerning my statement above.

Yeah, they should've stopped at 2003 IMO.  I'd gotten used to 2007 and 2010 even though I wasn't a big fan, but 2013 just sucks... more stuff that looks like it's meant for a tablet.  Boo.

Edited by biodork

Oh, PhD's can be amongst the most arrogant people you ever interact with, especially if you aren't "one of them"...and sometimes even if you are :lol:

Luckily, I've had generally positive experiences with members of my discipline--most are delightfully self-deprecating. Wouldn't surprise me if it's worse for the hard/applied sciences though.

Yeah, they should've stopped at 2003 IMO. I'd gotten used to 2007 and 2010 even though I wasn't a big fan, but 2013 just sucks... more stuff that looks like it's meant for a tablet. Boo.

As someone who hates interfaces meant for tablets, it really hasn't bothered me much. Although, I only use Office these days for writing, so that could be why.

I fell off my bicycle last night and ended up in the ER.  It was a three-point landing- both hands and my left knee.  The right hand fared the best, minor bruising and scrapes.  Left knee looks a bit like hamburger, but although there are a few deep gouges it's not that bad, and the joint itself is fine.  The left hand was the reason for the visit to the ER.  My thumb bent back coming off the handlebar and when I landed the palm on the pinky finger side took the brunt of it and is pretty sore.  The x-rays were negative though, so I guess it's just sprained.  I'm not taking any pain meds and things are just kinda sore, not really that painful (unless I try to do too much with the left hand).  All in all it could be worse, but it looks like I'm off the bike for a bit.

One of the things they try to teach you when learning to ride a motorcycle is to curl up and "be small" when you fall. Genetic reflexes are a bitch though. :(

There is a very good reason that I still use Office 2000.

And it isn't because I'm cheap.  Well, I am, but that's not the only reason.

No comments, please, from the peanut gallery concerning my statement above.

Because you like being vulnerable to dozens (if not hundreds) or evil document hacks? :devil:  (In all seriousness, I'd never open anything from anyone else if I were using 2000).

My complaint, minor as it may be: drove up to Buffalo last night getting in a 1AM. Only got 4 hours of sleep the night before (my own damn fault) so I drank a 20oz Coke, quart of green iced tea (which I made too strong), another 12oz of different green tea (mmm, genmai matcha), and a 5-hour energy to stay awake. My stomach and head still haven't recovered, especially as RosePie woke up at 7AM and because we're all in the same room didn't go back to sleep immediately like normal.

Oh, PhD's can be amongst the most arrogant people you ever interact with, especially if you aren't "one of them"...and sometimes even if you are :lol:

Luckily, I've had generally positive experiences with members of my discipline--most are delightfully self-deprecating. Wouldn't surprise me if it's worse for the hard/applied sciences though.

As someone who hates interfaces meant for tablets, it really hasn't bothered me much. Although, I only use Office these days for writing, so that could be why.

Yeah, maybe tablet-like isn't the right word... I just hate how it looks more and more cartoon-y and less professional in my opinion.  I don't need gigantic buttons and options I could read from across the room without my contacts, and I don't care if I can personalize whether there are clouds or aliens or vines across the top; I just want a streamlined and functional program where I can find the menu options I want without having to play Pictionary.

Ouch, man... how the heck did you fracture your wrist and live with it for so long??  Our health insurance system is surely f*cked up when things like this are allowed to happen.

Yeah, I'm used to it, unfortunately... I'm sympathize with Howard in The Big Bang Theory.

Broke my wrist in grad school. Similar sort of injury (hand driven back and joint bending back forced the bone to crack). Went and had a Dr at the University Health Center look at it - big mistake. Though I could see the bone was cracked on the X-ray, he insisted it wasn't. Claimed it was just a sprain. Had it looked at again about 3 years later (having orthopedic surgeon checking out a new injury). That one said that yeah, it had broken, but nothing they could do about it after so long to fix it without causing worse problems. Surgery would make it stronger but would absolutely reduce motion even more.

Cortisone shots, PT, & a splint helped tremendously. Still occassionally have issues w/ it, but nothing worth complaining about. And range of motion is improved though still less than other wrist.

Good luck to Hoss on it. PT might be worth looking into. Would definitely check it out before getting cut open. Anything done surgically is forever and there are so many ligaments, tendons, & nerves there waiting to get messed up while the surgeon works on an already long healed bone & improperly aligned soft tisue (which IS properly aligned for how the bone current gets positioned, unfortunately it isn't apparently aligned properly for normal function).

Yeah, maybe tablet-like isn't the right word... I just hate how it looks more and more cartoon-y and less professional in my opinion.  I don't need gigantic buttons and options I could read from across the room without my contacts, and I don't care if I can personalize whether there are clouds or aliens or vines across the top; I just want a streamlined and functional program where I can find the menu options I want without having to play Pictionary.

I will say this: I recently picked up a new laptop and ended up with a touch screen. It's actually pretty nice be able to tap the gigantic controls on pandora and similar. I just looked at the copy of Excel 2013 I have open, and I don't see any way that I'd be using touch for that. The buttons are too small to hit accurately.

I will say this: I recently picked up a new laptop and ended up with a touch screen. It's actually pretty nice be able to tap the gigantic controls on pandora and similar. I just looked at the copy of Excel 2013 I have open, and I don't see any way that I'd be using touch for that. The buttons are too small to hit accurately.

I should've been a little clearer in my original complaint; it's the main window you get when you open one of the new Office programs that has the absurdly large tile-like buttons, not the main program.  The main program still has the stupid little pictures for everything where there used to be simple text describing the function.

Yeah, they should've stopped at 2003 IMO.  I'd gotten used to 2007 and 2010 even though I wasn't a big fan, but 2013 just sucks... more stuff that looks like it's meant for a tablet.  Boo.

Only issue I've had w/ 13 vs 7/10 is how in Word there is absolutely NO WAY when printing a document preview w/ markups to the side to get rid of the f####ing gray background for the markup. If I am trying to show a client a 90 page document draft w/ changes, I don't want to waste the equivalent of 30 pages of black toner. My clients are smart enough to realize the text / bubbles appearing to the right of the document body is not part of the document's body. :angry:

Because you like being vulnerable to dozens (if not hundreds) or evil document hacks? :devil:  (In all seriousness, I'd never open anything from anyone else if I were using 2000).

Since everyone that I deal with is using a later version of Office I have to use Excel Viewer and Word Viewer to be able to open files sent in either Excel, or Word. Which works well.

Also, many clients and such now used PDF to send junk, I mean important documents.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I enjoy reminding them that they aren't medical doctors. Had a guy I used to work with, that would always take the wind out of his sails. Pompous isn't a strong enough word.

I enjoy reminding them that they aren't medical doctors. Had a guy I used to work with, that would always take the wind out of his sails. Pompous isn't a strong enough word.

Funny, my very first grad school professor referred to MDs as "...nothing more than body mechanics. They just apply the knowledge that the researchers create." Although not entirely inaccurate, it was said in a very derogatory fashion.

Broke my wrist in grad school. Similar sort of injury (hand driven back and joint bending back forced the bone to crack). Went and had a Dr at the University Health Center look at it - big mistake. Though I could see the bone was cracked on the X-ray, he insisted it wasn't. Claimed it was just a sprain. Had it looked at again about 3 years later (having orthopedic surgeon checking out a new injury). That one said that yeah, it had broken, but nothing they could do about it after so long to fix it without causing worse problems. Surgery would make it stronger but would absolutely reduce motion even more.

Cortisone shots, PT, & a splint helped tremendously. Still occassionally have issues w/ it, but nothing worth complaining about. And range of motion is improved though still less than other wrist.

Good luck to Hoss on it. PT might be worth looking into. Would definitely check it out before getting cut open. Anything done surgically is forever and there are so many ligaments, tendons, & nerves there waiting to get messed up while the surgeon works on an already long healed bone & improperly aligned soft tisue (which IS properly aligned for how the bone current gets positioned, unfortunately it isn't apparently aligned properly for normal function).

Looking at the x-Rays the bone that I broke never fully healed. It's stilled partially broken apparently so they would go in and put a screw to properly align it.

The ligaments in that area have tightened in such a way that the range of motion is hindered severely, but the bone is still able to be fixed without re-breaking it or whatever other options they normally consider.

At least that's what I understand from my conversation with the doc. Maybe they just want me to get the surgery because it's more lucrative for them. I've got time to sort it out, but I appreciate the tips.