Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Happy Thursday.

Ever since I took on a board position at the horse rescue, I've learned a lot more about our situation. We're much lower in funds than I thought, and the lady who pretty much runs everything is taking a leave of absence due to exhaustion and deep depression. 

One of our residents is a mid 20s TB/Morgan gelding named Deacon. Some time last year, at the old barn, the ###### who owned the farm brought out a farrier who idiotically cut his hooves too short. Picture an ingrown toenail/the soreness if you cut a nail too short- now imagine that's your only point of contact to hold your considerable weight (he's a huge horse). He started having some severe problems immediately, and the idiots denied it ever happened/was their fault. It was the final straw that made us leave.

Fast forward to now, Deacon has suffered never ending leg/feet problems, despite being perfectly healthy prior to this. The inflammation is so chronic that we are going to have to put him down. His vet bills alone are costing us 4k, 400 a month on food/medicine due to his size and age, we only have 3.5 k, and we're still 5k behind on fencing. No one's going to adopt him in this condition, and we could probably keep him alive for a few years, if only we had the money and he wasn't in pain.

We're a no kill shelter. We've only ever put down one horse before, and she was dying of severe founder/laminitis anyways. This is falling under mercy/quality of life. I feel so utterly awful. I love this guy, he's the sweetest, most stately horse. I love working with him. Two weeks ago he looked great. And now we're scheduling euthanasia. It's just tearing everyone's heart out. 

Jo I'm so sorry to hear this  :cry:

Our little guy just doesn't want to come out already.  My wife's due date was this past Monday and now we have Induction set up for this coming Monday at 9am.  It's like the weird calm before the storm.  In 4/5 days I will help her through labor and then it's sleepless night after sleepless night.....When we had our first we could do the whole sleep when the baby sleeps thing but I donno how this is going to go with the second.  How do you experienced moms and dads survive multiple children?!  Atleast I'm only taking two weeks off as work may become my sanctuary :P A two year old and a newborn is going to be a handful.....

Good luck! RosePie was the same situation, other than they started the induction process at 8-9PM Sunday night. As for multiple kids: you got me. We have enough trouble keeping one alive. I'd recommend having help (even paid) if possible. MrsPie and I are on an island of sorts with no family or close friends nearby and it sucks.

There's my complaint: a friend of ours just have a baby a the end of June (same birthday as mine, it's a good day) via c-section and she's already doing way better than my wife (certainly at the time, and in some ways even now 11 months later). MrsPie is fairly jealous as am I. Friend: "Oh, I feel bad that she's not eating enough when she sleeps 4-5 hours at a stretch." We would have killed for 4-5 hours, at most we got 2. And, because my wife was so drained with breastfeeding issues, I was up almost every time to clean up the pumping apparatus or bottle feeding.

I just don't get recent college grad job hunters.  I graduated in 2006, and did everything the career folks at my school told me to.  I don't get these kids nowadays.  They bitch about not being able to find a job, yet the people I've interviewed for an entry-level sales position just don't get it.  They do nothing to try and stand out, have resumes filled with spelling and formatting errors, and don't follow directions.  

I specifically ask for a cover letter, yet most don't submit one.  I had one kid tell me they're "not necessary anymore."  I explained to him that the whole reason we ask for one is to see what kind of writing skills an applicant posses.  Is it cut and paste or original? Can they sell themselves? By not even submitting one it shows you can't follow directions.  When I explained this to him he just looked at me and said, "oh."

With three of them I came away from the interview feeling "meh."  Not bad, but no wow factor. They easily could have gained some favor with a simple thank you email.  Nothing, so they stay in the "meh" pile. 

We've been advertising the position since mid-May, and I've had two out of maybe 20 candidates that did what I expect a serious applicant to do (I offered the job to one of them, but he chose another offer).  The other one I met with yesterday, and while her personality was spot on, again, her resume was replete with spelling errors (a graduate of one of the SUNY schools FWIW).  

This whole process just leaves me baffled and wanting to band my head against a wall.

I just don't get recent college grad job hunters.  I graduated in 2006, and did everything the career folks at my school told me to.  I don't get these kids nowadays.  They bitch about not being able to find a job, yet the people I've interviewed for an entry-level sales position just don't get it.  They do nothing to try and stand out, have resumes filled with spelling and formatting errors, and don't follow directions.  

I specifically ask for a cover letter, yet most don't submit one.  I had one kid tell me they're "not necessary anymore."  I explained to him that the whole reason we ask for one is to see what kind of writing skills an applicant posses.  Is it cut and paste or original? Can they sell themselves? By not even submitting one it shows you can't follow directions.  When I explained this to him he just looked at me and said, "oh."

With three of them I came away from the interview feeling "meh."  Not bad, but no wow factor. They easily could have gained some favor with a simple thank you email.  Nothing, so they stay in the "meh" pile. 

We've been advertising the position since mid-May, and I've had two out of maybe 20 candidates that did what I expect a serious applicant to do (I offered the job to one of them, but he chose another offer).  The other one I met with yesterday, and while her personality was spot on, again, her resume was replete with spelling errors (a graduate of one of the SUNY schools FWIW).  

This whole process just leaves me baffled and wanting to band my head against a wall.

My new job has us participating in a lot of group interviews lately.  All the company hands to us is the person's resume and I wish we had a cover letter too.  It's pretty much kids straight out of college so the resumes all look the same.  At least we could get an idea of their character/personality with a letter and know a few things to ask before walking into that room mostly blind.

I had the same issue.  I had 12 applicants and only 2 stood out head and shoulders above the rest. Cover letters poorly written (when submitted), resume's that seemed all the same.  I feel your pain.  

My complaint today: My dog's butt gland (what my wife and I call it) keeps getting clogged.  It's the gland that secretes "his smell" after he poos, marking his territory.  When it gets clogged, it starts to smell like dead fish.  He itches/scratches nonstop (it's like a hemorrhoid) and he doesn't eat as much.  We have had to take him to the vet several times now to have the vet stick his finger(s) up my dog's rump to drain the gland.  Now we are discussing having it surgically removed.  It's very tough for me to have our dog leave us for any period of time (both our dogs are like kids to us).  It's even harder for me to leave an animal with a vet.  The last time I did, my cat didn't come back  :cry: It was traumatizing.  No fault of the vet, and I know that.  Just a little difficult  :(

My complaint today: My dog's butt gland (what my wife and I call it) keeps getting clogged.  It's the gland that secretes "his smell" after he poos, marking his territory.  When it gets clogged, it starts to smell like dead fish.  He itches/scratches nonstop (it's like a hemorrhoid) and he doesn't eat as much.  We have had to take him to the vet several times now to have the vet stick his finger(s) up my dog's rump to drain the gland.  Now we are discussing having it surgically removed.  It's very tough for me to have our dog leave us for any period of time (both our dogs are like kids to us).  It's even harder for me to leave an animal with a vet.  The last time I did, my cat didn't come back  :cry: It was traumatizing.  No fault of the vet, and I know that.  Just a little difficult  :(

My co-worker is the same with her now 15-year old lab.  This dog has chronic ###### (you can't say a-n-a-l?) gland issues, but she refuses to do surgery.  Instead of paying the vet to squeeze out the nastiness, she just does it herself.   

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

My dog had that problem.  The vet prescribed pumpkin.  It worked.  Every week I buy a couple cans of pumpkin (the kind you make pie with) and put a tablespoon or two in his food at every feeding.  He hasn't had a recurrence of the blockage since then.  Don't know how or why it works, but it's cheap and it's worth a shot.

Honest question: Would you prefer someone with a perfect looking resume who appears to be bright but isn't quite as qualified as the applicants who turn in resumes that appear carelessly assembled? 

I find this somewhat ironic. :lol:

My dog had that problem.  The vet prescribed pumpkin.  It worked.  Every week I buy a couple cans of pumpkin (the kind you make pie with) and put a tablespoon or two in his food at every feeding.  He hasn't had a recurrence of the blockage since then.  Don't know how or why it works, but it's cheap and it's worth a shot.

Pumpkin didn't work for our dog.  He gets the ole finger every 3 months or so.

My new job has us participating in a lot of group interviews lately.  All the company hands to us is the person's resume and I wish we had a cover letter too.  It's pretty much kids straight out of college so the resumes all look the same.  At least we could get an idea of their character/personality with a letter and know a few things to ask before walking into that room mostly blind.

As someone who is about to join the career force (graduating next spring), I'm almost glad this is what the field is looking like right now. Really, no follow up thank you emails? I always thought that was standard operating procedure. For those of you who are involved with the hiring/recruiting process, what are some things that stand out to you on a resume? What do you look for? Is there a minimal GPA requirement? How helpful can studying abroad be? What are the benefits to someone with a Masters? I figured I should take this opportunity to learn from others mistakes

I had the same issue. I had 12 applicants and only 2 stood out head and shoulders above the rest. Cover letters poorly written (when submitted), resume's that seemed all the same. I feel your pain.

My complaint today: My dog's butt gland (what my wife and I call it) keeps getting clogged. It's the gland that secretes "his smell" after he poos, marking his territory. When it gets clogged, it starts to smell like dead fish. He itches/scratches nonstop (it's like a hemorrhoid) and he doesn't eat as much. We have had to take him to the vet several times now to have the vet stick his finger(s) up my dog's rump to drain the gland. Now we are discussing having it surgically removed. It's very tough for me to have our dog leave us for any period of time (both our dogs are like kids to us). It's even harder for me to leave an animal with a vet. The last time I did, my cat didn't come back :cry: It was traumatizing. No fault of the vet, and I know that. Just a little difficult :(

you are not able to express it at home? Also I don't think it involves a finger up there. It is more a pinching thing on either side.

you are not able to express it at home? Also I don't think it involves a finger up there. It is more a pinching thing on either side.

It's become such a frequent thing, like we notice the smell/his behavior suggests it's full every two - three weeks now.  we probably could do the express thing at home.  I'll look into that with the vet tomorrow.  We're going to discuss all of our options with him.  Potentially try the pumpkin thing first as well.  

As someone who is about to join the career force (graduating next spring), I'm almost glad this is what the field is looking like right now. Really, no follow up thank you emails? I always thought that was standard operating procedure. For those of you who are involved with the hiring/recruiting process, what are some things that stand out to you on a resume? What do you look for? Is there a minimal GPA requirement? How helpful can studying abroad be? What are the benefits to someone with a Masters? I figured I should take this opportunity to learn from others mistakes

I may be a little different than some but here's what I've got for people out of college.

1) I've had some people send me follow up thank you emails, others not so much.  I've also had a few applicants constantly pester me until I pawned them off on HR.

2) There is no minimal GPA per say.  What I look for is: what was their GPA, and what else were they doing with their time?  Were they a 4.0 student with nothing else going on? that suggests to me that they are great at focusing on a few tasks and getting the job done, but how are their social/interpersonal skills?  Very difficult to hire someone into a multi-disciplinary group setting that has Zero group skills. Was the person an average GPA with a lot going on?  These are the people I look for.  Tells me they may be able to balance a lot.

3) did the person tailor their resume directly to the position?  I loathe when people do this. I want to see everything, not just what you want me to see.  I'd rather train someone with minimal knowledge that isn't set in their ways, then take on someone who advertises having more knowledge in the field than is practical, especially right out of college.  

4) I love when applicants have done a study abroad.  It shows the willingness to try new things and that they can adjust to culture shock (which some people get when they start working in my department due to the egos/personalities in my dept.)

5) Masters and Bachelors are about the same in my book, depending on the amount of extra curricular activities.  

6) other things that stick out on a resume to me are volunteering, personal activities, and even someone's mission statement/objective.  Those things alone tell me a lot about the applicant.  Spelling errors aggravate me but aren't an interview killer.  

Just my $0.02

I'm involved in hiring at my company and I see the same thing all the time -- even from candidates with graduate degrees.  Our job listings will say "please send items X, Y and Z to the attention of person A,"  and a high percentage of the submissions we get will either omit one or more of the items, address the letter to "Dear Sir or Madam" or "Dear Hiring Coordinator" or both. 

This is primarily the individual's fault, but the colleges deserve blame as well.  If a college is going to take $150K+ for a kid to get a degree, the required coursework has to include a few courses on how to get a job and how to act once you have a job.  It can't be all social justice and theories of self-fulfillment.

I'll never look at pumpkin pie the same way ever again.

It's become such a frequent thing, like we notice the smell/his behavior suggests it's full every two - three weeks now. we probably could do the express thing at home. I'll look into that with the vet tomorrow. We're going to discuss all of our options with him. Potentially try the pumpkin thing first as well.

time for some poo talk wootwoot. I have been told sometimes it can be diet related. If your dog is not having solid poos it can cause the gland to not empty. Also some breeds are known to have issues. If a change of diet don't work. A little assistance every week would probaly do it. Unless there is something else at work. Hoping for the best for your furry child

Edit

Also make sure the can of pumpkin has no spices. Has to be plain ole pumpkin in there

Edited by drnkirishone

time for some poo talk wootwoot. I have been told sometimes it can be diet related. If your dog is not having solid poos it can cause the gland to not empty. Also some breeds are known to have issues. If a change of diet don't work. A little assistance every week would probaly do it. Unless there is something else at work. Hoping for the best for your furry child

Edit

Also make sure the can of pumpkin has no spices. Has to be plain ole pumpkin in there

That's good to know too lol.  And I don't think it's diet related.  We changed his diet specifically to try to avoid this after we got him, but it never helped. He's on a mix of hard and soft food, twice a day.  

Thanks for all the advice!

Honest question: Would you prefer someone with a perfect looking resume who appears to be bright but isn't quite as qualified as the applicants who turn in resumes that appear carelessly assembled? 

In the real world this is a false dichotomy.  Obviously if you knew that Person A would perform better in the job than Person B, you would hire Person A regardless of how much better Person B's resume was.  But in almost every case it's impossible to know this at the time you receive the resumes. 

Now, Person A's resume might make it appear that Person A is better qualified -- more relevant coursework, job experience, etc.  But Person A may be unemployed right now, or looking for a new job, because Person A is actually a bozo at the job.  So you can't assume that "relevant experience" = "well qualified."  So that means that you need to accord a decent amount of weight to the resume and cover letter -- especially when written communications are part of the job -- because that is how this person is choosing to project himself/herself to potential employers.  If that person can't be bothered to polish up those written submissions so they present well -- it's a serious strike against him/her.

1.  Submitting everything that the job posting asks for

2.  Good grades

3.  No typos on resume/cover letter

4.  Overall presentation/readability of resume/cover letter

5.  Working/volunteering while in school -- even if it's at McDonalds

6.  Study abroad/other extracurricular items

7.  Be ready to discuss in the interview anything on your resume.

8.  Definitely send a thank-you note to anyone you interviewed with -- but don't pester them after that.

I've just been dragging all week - I had Monday off for a golf outing, but haven't been able to drum up enough energy to not want to sleep since then. 

I went to a wake last night for a fellow golfer. 61 years old and dropped dead from a heart attack. Nice guy, just kinda blended in, but was always fun to play with. You'll be missed, Joe.  :(

Are you worried that your dog might become gay? :)

A friend and I were discussing getting older and (at that time) soon to get "the exam."  He expressed great trepidation about "the exam."  I asked if he'd ever had "the exam" before and he said no.  So I followed it up with, "Then how do you know you don't like it?"  :angel:

I honestly could care less about experience, background, or any of that crap for this position.  It's all about personality.  With what we do, and specifically for this position, the only thing I must have in a candidate is an interest/desire to work in sales, and an outgoing personality.  I get so many people who really have no interest in sales, they just apply for a sales job because they need a job.  It's a waste of my time and theirs.

Attention to detail is a key part of this job though, so if you're sloppy, you probably won't succeed (or at a minimum, the magnifying glass wielding President of the company will chew you up and spit you out).  That's why the carelessly assembled resumes are an instant turn off.  People make mistakes all the time, that's fine, but when you have all the time in the world to proof your resume and cover letter, then be sure to get it right.

What nfreeman said pretty much sums it up.  I'm a fan of the follow up email, but don't go overboard.  One email the following day is good enough.  I also like it when interviewees ask me specifics about the compensation or what I like/dislike about my job.  I hate interviews where I ask all the questions.

I'm heading into an interview right now... recent grad from an SEC school... great looking resume and cover letter.  Degree isn't necessarily what we normally get (Psychology with concentration studies in marketing interior design), but expresses herself very well in the cover letter.  Let's see how this goes....