Auston Mathews anyone?

Turbo44

9 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

His 23 goals in 8 years has sure helped them in the playoffs

He has 23 goals, 48 points in 55 games. His shots on goal pace is similar to the regular season. He is not why they have had little success in the playoffs.

Oh, and he’s not getting traded.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Eichel (not as good but cheaper) got us 2 former firsts (Tuch - fine/krebs - sucks) and a first that I think turned into Rosen.

so I’d guess something like Power, #11 overall and someone like Savoie?

A questionably injured Eichel that may not have healed. It appears LV won that gamble. I'd think a fully-functional 60 goal scorer would draw a bit more.

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

My source tells me the league is "encouraging" Toronto to deal Matthews to Utah.     

It would be delicious to see the Toronto media turn on him, lol. So hang on, would he consider Utah his "hometown" team since he grew up in Scottsdale AZ? This might have legs!

Matthews is a better player than Marner, but I'd rather have Marner 'for less' than Matthews for more money and more of a return.

Matthews makes this Sabres team better for sure, even with a big haul going back to TO.  A problem I have with him is he doesn't seem like he is a 'likeable' superstar. I get the sense even from Toronto fans...he's a league MVP, multiple time goal scoring leader, former first overall pick, has made the playoffs just about every year he has been in the league, he's nominated for best defensive forward.....you would think he would be the most popular and most liked player in Toronto sports by a factor of 5....yet for as many people that like him in TO, I get the sense there are a lot that don't. He just doesn't have a connection to the fanbase.  I put that more on him and less on the fanbase in Toronto.

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

My source tells me the league is "encouraging" Toronto to deal Matthews to Utah.     

How do they do they encourage that?  It’s about the return for the leagues top goal scorer?  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

How do they do they encourage that?  It’s about the return for the leagues top goal scorer?  

I'd assume they're also in the ear of the Salties making sure it's a good deal for Toronto.

I don't follow Matthews that much.  Obviously, the guy is a premier goal scorer.  My concern about him is that he lacks the qualities that the Sabres roster is so badly in need of - grit and toughness.  The Sabres already have guys who can score (although none who have scored as much as Matthews) and play a finesse game, so I don't think that the assets required to acquire a guy like Matthews would be worth it.  If the Sabres were to send out a lot of assets for at top NHL player, they'd be much better served acquiring a guy with the skillset of a Matthew Tkachuk.  He's not going to put up as many goals or points as Matthews, but he brings all of the intangibles that the Sabres need - grit, toughness, leadership, etc.  I fully understand that Tkachuk is not available and isn't going to be.  I think the Sabres were/are hoping that Dylan Cozens will be that type of player and he still might.

Edited by msw2112

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

He has 23 goals, 48 points in 55 games. His shots on goal pace is similar to the regular season. He is not why they have had little success in the playoffs.

Oh, and he’s not getting traded.

He avoids contact like the plague once he gets hit he's done he doesn't like being hit.

And yes he is a problem why they haven't had success you're getting 13 million you need to show up

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He avoids contact like the plague once he gets hit he's done he doesn't like being hit.

And yes he is a problem why they haven't had success you're getting 13 million you need to show up

Sorry, this is just ridiculous 

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Sorry, this is just ridiculous 

How is it ridiculous when you're getting paid 13 million and you have 23 goals in 55 games in the playoffs

When things get tough and not easy like in the regular season he doesn't want any part of it.

My 16 year old put it perfectly.

While watching the games so far this postseason, he said playoff hockey is almost like a different sport than regular season hockey. If teams could play with that intensity all season, they would barely lose.

Matthews playoff mode is no different than  his regular season mode. When everyone else goes up a level, he's still the same guy.

Hard pass.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Talking to a huge Toronto fan and he says he’s not sure of what NMC Matthew’s has, if any, but he wouldn’t be surprised if Toronto looks to trade him, if they can. He says he’s not a leader (Eichel anyone) and it’s no surprises Toronto got better when he got hurt/sick.

power/#11/prospect for Matthews? He’s signed through 27/28.

Talented? Underperformer? Overpaid? What are we waiting for??

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

My 16 year old put it perfectly.

While watching the games so far this postseason, he said playoff hockey is almost like a different sport than regular season hockey. If teams could play with that intensity all season, they would barely lose.

Matthews playoff mode is no different than  his regular season mode. When everyone else goes up a level, he's still the same guy.

Hard pass.

When looking at his 'relative' underperformance compared to other stars in the league (hes not BAD in the playoffs, he just doesn't elevate), and seeing this over 8 years now.....what you said seems to be the most likely answer.

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Or his contract and lack of playoff intensity.

Sabres have no room for the best scorer in a generation and maybe ever at even strength and a guy who’s pretty good but not yet exceptional in the playoffs 

Being pretty good in the playoffs? That’s beneath us 

we’re more of a “first exit pass rate per 60 relative to expected goals at 5 V 5 for all players under 22” type treasure hunters. Find the one obscure stat that fits the narrative and chalk the rest up to vague intangibles 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sabres have no room for the best scorer in a generation and maybe ever at even strength and a guy who’s pretty good but not yet exceptional in the playoffs 

Being pretty good in the playoffs? That’s beneath us 

we’re more of a “first exit pass rate per 60 relative to expected goals at 5 V 5 for all players under 22” type treasure hunters. Find the one obscure stat that fits the narrative and chalk the rest up to vague intangibles 

Bravo! 👏

Now 'splain us about his contract.

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Bravo! 👏

Explain what about it? Well I doubt he is available if a player like Matthews is available, you make room for his contract. 

10 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Bravo! 👏

Players that are better get paid more. Hope that helps.

- - - 

His contract will be 15% of the cap next season. Pastrnak’s is 14%

wooooooOOOoooooOooo

my online GM simulator broke! It does not compute!

Edited by Thorny