OT - Two week notice

inkman

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Late in the day on Friday 

I had last Friday off (NFL Draft). Gotta do it today in order for it to be two weeks. It sucks it’s a Monday but I’d rather give them the extra 5 days. My boss has been very fair with me.  I wanted to do the same for them. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 3

As a professional recruiter/HR, there is no good or bad time to give the notice. I would give it As soon as possible as to avoid burning any bridges with the company you are about to leave. It is always a good thing when you can glo back to an older job you have with a better life!!

• Like (+1) 3

Congrats @inkman. Sounds like a great turn of events. 50% pay bump after 2 years? Not shabby at all. I'll go out on a limb and say your salary wouldn't have increased at that rate had you stayed there for these two years. And yes, get the notice in ASAP.

Good luck and enjoy your new-old job!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

As a professional recruiter/HR, there is no good or bad time to give the notice. I would give it As soon as possible as to avoid burning any bridges with the company you are about to leave. It is always a good thing when you can glo back to an older job you have with a better life!!

29 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Congrats @inkman. Sounds like a great turn of events. 50% pay bump after 2 years? Not shabby at all. I'll go out on a limb and say your salary wouldn't have increased at that rate had you stayed there for these two years. And yes, get the notice in ASAP.

Good luck and enjoy your new-old job!

15 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Do it in the morning, it’s more respectful.  Plus you don’t spend all day thinking about it.

There is a wrinkle.  I recruited on of my long time employees to come work for me at my new gig.  I gotta break the news to him. So, about 30 minutes before I leave today, I’m going to tell my boss.  Then meet up with my boy and break the news over a beer.  I feel terrible but he’s in a much better situation.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve always been a first thing in the AM quitter.

I don’t just walk into the office.  I schedule a meeting with an not inflammatory meeting name.

Grats, bro.  Go get after them.

The earlier the better so that they can get in touch and figure out what they want to do.. waiting until Friday afternoon or late in the day makes it harder for them to communicate. Never wait. It's a crummy thing to do.

Congrats @inkman!  That is great news.

Here's some free Sabrespace advice:  cut down on the cannabis -- maybe weekends only?  There are lots of studies now linking heavy use to depression, heart issues, etc.

In any case you're going to crush it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I had last Friday off (NFL Draft). Gotta do it today in order for it to be two weeks. It sucks it’s a Monday but I’d rather give them the extra 5 days. My boss has been very fair with me.  I wanted to do the same for them. 

I feel like you answered your own question here. If you want to do right by them, take care of it early. 

and in another note, there is nothing better than being told “we can do better than that” when you give a salary figure. I got that comment 10 years ago from my current  job. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Congrats on the move up.

A fifty percent increase sounds too good to be true, nice to hear good news.

Terrible economy still for my industry and I had to do a RIF last week for one of my team. Worst part of being in a leadership role.  

Keep on Inkin.

5 hours ago, inkman said:

So you may remember ~ two years ago I left my old job of 23 years for a new career.  The current job has been good. The first 6 months or so were a bit rough as the person who was supposed to train me, decided not to and I had to fend for myself. Eventually I figured everything out and I’ve done quite well. Good reviews. Good relationships with my peers.  Yada yada.  

So about a month ago I got an email notification from a recruiting service that I never put the kibosh on with a very familiar job offer. It was my old job. I sent a screen shot to some of my former coworkers joking about coming back.  A couple days later a former boss, not the boss I had when I left (this guy I’ve known for 30 years, we were drinking buddies before coworkers) reached out and asked if I was interested in coming back.  

I hadn’t really thought about it and said I’d be willing to have a conversation about it.  So I had about a 45 minutes conversation about the state of the company, and what the expectations would be to resume my old role.  I told him I knew what the pay range was because it was included in the job opening notification I got from the recruiter. He asked what it was, I told him the range. He told me that was old info and he could do better. 

This was 50% more than I was making when I left.  Which is a game changer for me. I get 2x the PTO I currently get, cut my commute from 17 miles to 3 miles and go back to working in the industry I had 23 years of experience in.  Win, win, win.  

It came with getting a clean drug test which I somehow managed despite being a heavy THC user.  Smoking 15 large “J”s a week, plus a few gummies on top of that as well as some vaping when convenient.  Needless to say, I needed the full month, a detox diet heavy in liquids, and a 5 day detox kit made of herbal supplements to wash my system clean as of 3 weeks post interview, I was still testing positive. So results all came back good. 

I’m putting in my two week notice today. Is it better to do it early or late in the day?  

How good did it feel to start this thread?!

I’m trying to figure out a way that last Friday was my last day ever. Don’t think it’s going to happen, though, damn brain surgeons are too good these days.

Just now, SwampD said:

I’m trying to figure out a way that last Friday was my last day ever. Don’t think it’s going to happen, though, damn brain surgeons are too good these days.

Eh I know the ***** storm I’m walking into.  They say they’ve made changes but a culture that’s been entrenched for 35+ years dies hard.  It’s going to be more stress, a lot more responsibility and longer hours but I had to make the move for my family.  I haven’t slept in weeks.  Hoping once I start smoking again, I can get back to sleeping.  

Hitting a wall every day at 2pm where I can barely keep my eyes open despite drinking coffee and energy drinks all day, has been taxing.  Great news, I’m at my lowest weight since college.  Bad news, I’m living like a 1950’s housewife slamming uppers, wired out of my gourd. 

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m sure @Wyldnwoody44 could have pulled some strings. Hell, for all I know, with brain surgery it could literally be pulling a few strings to give you what you were looking for. 

53 minutes ago, inkman said:

Eh I know the ***** storm I’m walking into.  They say they’ve made changes but a culture that’s been entrenched for 35+ years dies hard.  It’s going to be more stress, a lot more responsibility and longer hours but I had to make the move for my family.  I haven’t slept in weeks.  Hoping once I start smoking again, I can get back to sleeping.  

Hitting a wall every day at 2pm where I can barely keep my eyes open despite drinking coffee and energy drinks all day, has been taxing.  Great news, I’m at my lowest weight since college.  Bad news, I’m living like a 1950’s housewife slamming uppers, wired out of my gourd. 

Will be rooting for you, @inkman!

Between the detox, stress, lack of sleep, and the uppers, sounds like your body and mind are off kilter… Wishing you find your healthy balance soon after you get settled into your new role with your old employer…

Let your spirit, your family and friends, and us here at Sabrespace be your strength until then!

Edited by Believer