OT - Two week notice

inkman

7 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

As a professional recruiter/HR, there is no good or bad time to give the notice. I would give it As soon as possible as to avoid burning any bridges with the company you are about to leave. It is always a good thing when you can glo back to an older job you have with a better life!!

It's pretty funny. Companies don't give a crap about you when it's time to let you go and give you exactly 0 days notice most of the time yet they expect their employees to bend over backwards and "do the right thing" by giving them 2 weeks.

Which some places will decline and promptly tell you to leave, essentially leaving you 2 weeks with no income.

So why exactly is this still a rule?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Maybe if people stopped allowing this nonsense to go on and just called them up and told them they aren't coming in and they quit they would think a little more about doing the same thing to employees.

As it is they can play by whatever rules they choose but he employees are suppose to play tiddlywinks with them because it's "unprofessional" not to. Well, I think it's unprofessional when a company calls in employees that have worked there 25 years and sh!t cans them on the spot with no notice so they can pay the CEO more and upper management more bonuses.

As always, they want their cake while they eat it too.

Thank goodness more people are looking out for themselves first nowadays just like it always should have been.

Edited by Big Guava

7 hours ago, inkman said:

There is a wrinkle.  I recruited on of my long time employees to come work for me at my new gig.  I gotta break the news to him. So, about 30 minutes before I leave today, I’m going to tell my boss.  Then meet up with my boy and break the news over a beer.  I feel terrible but he’s in a much better situation.  

Sometimes you just have to do what is best for yourself. Good, professional managers understand when someone is bettering themselves. Like others have said, give notice as soon as possible, have that conversation with your boy and revel in the fact that you apparently are a hot commodity. Congratulations my friend.

37 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

It's pretty funny. Companies don't give a crap about you when it's time to let you go and give you exactly 0 days notice most of the time yet they expect their employees to bend over backwards and "do the right thing" by giving them 2 weeks.

Which some places will decline and promptly tell you to leave, essentially leaving you 2 weeks with no income.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Maybe if people stopped allowing this nonsense to go on and just called them up and told them they aren't coming in and they quit they would think a little more about doing the same thing to employees.

As it is they can play by whatever rules they choose but he employees are suppose to play tiddlywinks with them because it's "unprofessional" not to. Well, I think it's unprofessional when a company calls in employees that have worked there 25 years and sh!t cans them on the spot with no notice so they can pay the CEO more and upper management more bonuses.

Thank goodness more people are looking out for themselves first nowadays just like it always should have been.

While I understand the sentiment, what kind of performance do you think said employee is going to give if he’s told two weeks in advance that he’s gone?
I’ve been fortunate, I’ve never had to let someone go that didn’t deserve to be fired and never had to close a place that others depended on for their livelihood.

I’m not sure there is a pat answer for how to handle dismissal of good, reliable employees.

I do think that a twenty-five year employee deserves a severance package. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Eh I know the ***** storm I’m walking into.  They say they’ve made changes but a culture that’s been entrenched for 35+ years dies hard.  It’s going to be more stress, a lot more responsibility and longer hours but I had to make the move for my family.  I haven’t slept in weeks.  Hoping once I start smoking again, I can get back to sleeping.  

Hitting a wall every day at 2pm where I can barely keep my eyes open despite drinking coffee and energy drinks all day, has been taxing.  Great news, I’m at my lowest weight since college.  Bad news, I’m living like a 1950’s housewife slamming uppers, wired out of my gourd. 

Congrats on the job upgrade.   More money is usually a good thing.   A doubt the culture change is significant enough for you but you prioritized money, PTO, and commute time, over the work culture.  So remember that if the culture drags you down again.  

You might want to think about cutting back on the alcohol and weed.   Coffee and Energy drinks are also crap and not needed either.  

Sounds like you need exercise, a good diet, and good sleep - that will help you.  Party on the weekend, like Friday and Saturday, but then get back on track on Sunday and be a good boy until Friday night.    You might like exercising everyday and then maybe a beer/scotch/bourbon on occasion during the week.   

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Nice! It's always nice when things break your way. Great to hear. 

When I quit, I have to give 90 days, so be thankful it's only 2 weeks 😝

It was 180 days for me when I left My Hospitalist Position.

Congratulations Ink! 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

While I understand the sentiment, what kind of performance do you think said employee is going to give if he’s told two weeks in advance that he’s gone?
I’ve been fortunate, I’ve never had to let someone go that didn’t deserve to be fired and never had to close a place that others depended on for their livelihood.

I’m not sure there is a pat answer for how to handle dismissal of good, reliable employees.

I do think that a twenty-five year employee deserves a severance package. 

And why should the employee trust the company is going to allow them to continue working there for 2 weeks and not tell them to pack their stuff and leave?

The company wants the employee to think they act in employee's best interest when it's always the case they act in their own best interest.

Edited by Big Guava

13 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

And why should the employee trust the company is going to allow them to continue working there for 2 weeks and not tell them to pack their stuff and leave?

The company wants the employee to think they act in employee's best interest when it's always the case they act in their own best interest.

Sorry, nothing is absolute. Not every company acts with complete disregard for their employees.

1 hour ago, Big Guava said:

I’m praying this happens.  I could desperately use a two week vacation.  I have 100 hours of PTO they owe me so I’ll make more than when I actually work. 🤣

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I’m praying this happens.  I could desperately use a two week vacation.  I have 100 hours of PTO they owe me so I’ll make more than when I actually work. 🤣

Cashing out PTO is one of the greatest things there is. Both times I’ve done that, it wound up being a hefty down payment on a car. 

Edited by shrader
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 4:23 PM, Big Guava said:

I wanted to give a much longer notice but I had to wait for the results for my drug screening to come back to put it my notice.  🤣 I also had to push out my start date for the same reason as I needed to get clean.  It worked.  I feel terrible as I’ve really hit my stride here and like the job overall. 

I just need to take care of my family.  Clear up some debt and start banking some $$$ so we don’t live paycheck to paycheck.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What if your current manager matched the salary of your new offer?

No chance but they’d still need to double my PTO.  Commute is still 5x as far. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 2:23 PM, inkman said:

Eh I know the ***** storm I’m walking into.  They say they’ve made changes but a culture that’s been entrenched for 35+ years dies hard.  It’s going to be more stress, a lot more responsibility and longer hours but I had to make the move for my family.  I haven’t slept in weeks.  Hoping once I start smoking again, I can get back to sleeping.  

Hitting a wall every day at 2pm where I can barely keep my eyes open despite drinking coffee and energy drinks all day, has been taxing.  Great news, I’m at my lowest weight since college.  Bad news, I’m living like a 1950’s housewife slamming uppers, wired out of my gourd. 

Sometimes less money and less stress is a lot better then more and more. What good does the extra money do if you are hating life and stressed to the core and cannot enjoy it. I have been a recruiter/Manager since 2002. I have had crap jobs where i had to take a second job and i have made great money where i am miserable always wondering if i was going to still be there the next year. It is hard to find that job that you love that pays great and i have been lucky to find that happy medium a couple of times, which includes my 21 years in the Navy. I hope you find that going back to your old job and the stress is not too bad. The recruiter part of me totally understands the actual needs of every person that i interview. I always tell my candidates that money is not worth it if you cannot enjoy the life to spend it. 

25 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Sometimes less money and less stress is a lot better then more and more. What good does the extra money do if you are hating life and stressed to the core and cannot enjoy it. I have been a recruiter/Manager since 2002. I have had crap jobs where i had to take a second job and i have made great money where i am miserable always wondering if i was going to still be there the next year. It is hard to find that job that you love that pays great and i have been lucky to find that happy medium a couple of times, which includes my 21 years in the Navy. I hope you find that going back to your old job and the stress is not too bad. The recruiter part of me totally understands the actual needs of every person that i interview. I always tell my candidates that money is not worth it if you cannot enjoy the life to spend it. 

I got debt coming out of my eyeballs. Once I get past that, I can reassess where I’m at.  I also think I can reduce the stress of my old job.  I have a different perspective and a lot more resources than I was used to.  

38 minutes ago, inkman said:

I got debt coming out of my eyeballs. Once I get past that, I can reassess where I’m at.  I also think I can reduce the stress of my old job.  I have a different perspective and a lot more resources than I was used to.  

I have been there and done that!!! I wish you the best in your new/old job!! Hope it provides the QOL that you deserve!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1