Zach Benson, the 5'10" 170lb, 18yr old rookie's first season review

LGR4GM

I gravitate to smart players who don’t quit.

He’s become my favourite player to watch on the team.

Really hope he can improve his shot. It stood out to me as a significant hole in his game.

His performance relative to physical maturity and experience was remarkable, something I’ve never seen before on this team. Housley, Dahlin and Turgeon were much bigger and/or obviously skilled and that’s more or less where the “regulars at 18” list ends. Guys of his size just don’t play in the NHL without hall-of-fame hands and feet, but he doesn’t seem to have either. So that says a lot about his will and hockey sense.

It’s hard to project his ceiling given the lack of comparables.

But it’s obvious the kid just gets hockey.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't have a comparable, that's for sure. 18yr olds at his size, but with his game, in the NHL already and holding their own? That's gotta be a massively short list but I will say that in his draft year, Mitch Marner was a comparable I saw. I think they play different though. 

Everytime he was on the ice it seemed like he was doing all the right things. I agree with others that he needs to work on his shot and skating but I think those will all improve with experience. My main nitpick with him is that he needs to get bigger and I don't mean grow a few inches but good for him if he does lol He needs to add on some muscle because he went down very easily at times but again I think he'll continue with a nutritionist and get to where he needs to be. 

What I really liked about his game was he never hesitated going in front of the net and although he knows he isn't the biggest or toughest guy out there he's a scrapper and stood up for himself when needed to. There is so much in his game that he can change so I'm looking forward to see what a real NHL HC and assistants can do for his game.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't have a comparable, that's for sure. 18yr olds at his size, but with his game, in the NHL already and holding their own? That's gotta be a massively short list but I will say that in his draft year, Mitch Marner was a comparable I saw. I think they play different though. 

And Marner didn’t play as an 18-year, but put up 60 at 19 as a rookie.

The size matches, but Marner’s got that Housley thing, where his skating agility and puckhandling are so, so good.

Zach doesn’t have that. But he’s got something.

I keep coming back to Marchand without the elevated ***** element.

He’s smarter and more competitive than anyone he matches up against and just finds a way.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Zach doesn’t have that. But he’s got something.

That carny's got jam, man.

Jokes aside (I suspect he'd punch me in my fat face if I called him a carny): I just love watching him play. Dude's got that it factor. He will be a crucial factor the next time the Sabres win a playoff series - calling it now.

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I gravitate to smart players who don’t quit.

He’s become my favourite player to watch on the team.

Really hope he can improve his shot. It stood out to me as a significant hole in his game.

His performance relative to physical maturity and experience was remarkable, something I’ve never seen before on this team. Housley, Dahlin and Turgeon were much bigger and/or obviously skilled and that’s more or less where the “regulars at 18” list ends. Guys of his size just don’t play in the NHL without hall-of-fame hands and feet, but he doesn’t seem to have either. So that says a lot about his will and hockey sense.

You said it all in the first sentence - smart and doesn't quit.  

No, he doesn't have HoF hands and feet, certainly not impressive size - it is all heart and hockey sense.   He reminds me of Marchand and that type of player. Players that that find a way to win and make their team better.  

He can top out at 5'11 and 185'ish by 25, which is decent size for a wing.   By then he will be a 7 year vet and just reaching his prime.  

This guy was a steal at 13.

What really impressed me is he fought through the rookie wall.  He played a lot of games at the highest level in the world and he got better by the last 2 months.  

• Agree 5

Sidenote: Benson had a 11.22sh% this season which is higher than I thought. 

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

Dude has that Danny Briere stuff behind the net 

star wars GIF

do I mean the poster or Briere?!?!?!????

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that Benson was in our top 6 forwards this season is an indictment on the GM and the other players on the roster.  As much promise this kid has, at it's a ton, he should not have been in the NHL this season.  It was terrible asset management and it didn't make the team better.

He should have been in the CHL completing his 4th year in the CHL and then he could play in the AHL or NHL this coming season on the 1st year of his ELC.  Just dumb.  

Did the kid show he could play in the NHL?  Yes his did, but he was often knocked off the puck and took dumb penalty after dumb penalty.  He was not physically ready of the NHL game and it showed all season.  I'm not sure he'll be physically ready next season either because he is only 19 and not yet physically mature.  Sadly, he won't be eligible to be sent down to the A if he again isn't physically because of his age.  Oh well!

I'm sorry, but while I like some of what I saw from Benson this season, Benson's production was 224th among NHL forwards last season.  His p/gp of players with 41 or more games last season was 225th (tied with Greenway) at .42 pts p/gp.  That was 4th line production.  I also think the analytics place him in the top 9 for the Sabres, but considering how bad the offense was this season, that isn't much to write home about.

Do I think Benson has top 6 potential?  Yes I do, but in 2025/26 just in time for his next contract.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The fact that Benson was in our top 6 forwards this season is an indictment on the GM and the other players on the roster.  As much promise this kid has, at it's a ton, he should not have been in the NHL this season.  It was terrible asset management and it didn't make the team better.

He should have been in the CHL completing his 4th year in the CHL and then he could play in the AHL or NHL this coming season on the 1st year of his ELC.  Just dumb.  

Did the kid show he could play in the NHL?  Yes his did, but he was often knocked off the puck and took dumb penalty after dumb penalty.  He was not physically ready of the NHL game and it showed all season.  I'm not sure he'll be physically ready next season either because he is only 19 and not yet physically mature.  Sadly, he won't be eligible to be sent down to the A if he again isn't physically because of his age.  Oh well!

I'm sorry, but while I like some of what I saw from Benson this season, Benson's production was 224th among NHL forwards last season.  His p/gp of players with 41 or more games last season was 225th (tied with Greenway) at .42 pts p/gp.  That was 4th line production.  I also think the analytics place him in the top 9 for the Sabres, but considering how bad the offense was this season, that isn't much to write home about.

Do I think Benson has top 6 potential?  Yes I do, but in 2025/26 just in time for his next contract.

Might want to review all the game videos because Benson won far more puck battles than he lost this season. He knows how to leverage his stature against bigger opponents and he did that routinely along the boards, the few times he was knocked on his butt notwithstanding.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm sorry, but while I like some of what I saw from Benson this season, Benson's production was 224th among NHL forwards last season.  That was 4th line production.  I also think the analytics place him in the top 9 for the Sabres, but considering how bad the offense was this season, that isn't much to write home about.

Not sure what’s up with your math, but there are 192 top 6 positions open in the NHL (6x32).

224th is upper-end 3rd line production.

Benson’s 28 even-strength points ranked 184th. Guys around him: Elias Lindholm, Jake Debrusk, Dawson Mercer, Andrew Copp, David Perron, Mats Zuccarello and Anton Lundell.

And that doesn’t even take into account his chops defensively.

I also don’t agree with your knock off the puck comments. Did it happen? Absolutely, but I also saw lots of instances where he won pucks along the boards and made plays in heavy traffic.

Looked me like he won more battles than he lost.

This is just a bad take. He was clearly NHL-ready. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Good thread

I agree with the sentiment of both Liger’s and GA’s posts, tbh. Benson was certainly great relatively (to other Sabres, to rookies in general), and yes, the former part of that relatively is damning regarding the roster we iced this season. Of course, none of that reflects poorly on Benson who was nothing but a bright spot.

No, they shouldn’t game plan on Benson routinely skating in the T-6 next season