Zach Benson, the 5'10" 170lb, 18yr old rookie's first season review

LGR4GM

21 hours ago, Thorny said:

Except Benson is a passer and Skinner a shooter. And Benson plays good D.

Benson has a ways to go in penalty differential tho haha 

16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Except Benson is decidedly not Skinner in any way.

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

They both white, they both Ben Affleck 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Snl Ew GIF by Saturday Night Live

I was referring to size. That’s all

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He already plays a responsible two way game, which has always been the knock on Skinner.  

And I feel like Benson is primarily a playmaker 

Edit - I see this has been covered 

But he is Ben Affleck I stand by that part 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

And I feel like Benson is primarily a playmaker 

Edit - I see this has been covered 

But he is Ben Affleck I stand by that part 

I have a hard time comparing Benson to Sabres past.  He’s not the prototypical top 6 skillset, but he’s got a unique level of compete that overcomes it to some extent.

We are into “concept of” level of discussion regarding Benson.  My initial thought was, if Drury was a winger instead of a center, their games might be similar.  But it’s Chris ***** Drury.  I don’t want to make that comparison. And I shouldn’t make that comparison.It’s way too soon.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Weave said:

I have a hard time comparing Benson to Sabres past.  He’s not the prototypical top 6 skillset, but he’s got a unique level of compete that overcomes it to some extent.

We are into “concept of” level of discussion regarding Benson.  My initial thought was, if Drury was a winger instead of a center, their games might be similar.  But it’s Chris ***** Drury.  I don’t want to make that comparison. And I shouldn’t make that comparison.It’s way too soon.

It’s been the same for all these kids: you see things you like, you look at their age and say “damn, he could really be something when he’s in his prime.”

The sad thing is that even if we’re right - and for every Girgensons and Kassian and Zadorov there’s been an Eichel, Reinhart, Thompson and Dahlin - it’s been so long since it’s happened when it mattered.

Honest question for the folks on the board who know more about actual development: I keep reading that Benson's skating is not great (good, but not great) and he could use a harder/quicker shot ... a player can still work on their skating and shooting at 18/19 yrs old, right?? I mean I read about players who get drafted with "flaws" that they work on and correct. Given his apparent work ethic, I would not be shocked at all (atol) if he came back with improvements in those two areas next fall.

19 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Honest question for the folks on the board who know more about actual development: I keep reading that Benson's skating is not great (good, but not great) and he could use a harder/quicker shot ... a player can still work on their skating and shooting at 18/19 yrs old, right?? I mean I read about players who get drafted with "flaws" that they work on and correct. Given his apparent work ethic, I would not be shocked at all (atol) if he came back with improvements in those two areas next fall.

He is a competitive kid so that will drive improvement. He is only 18, his physical peak is still years away. The Sabres staff will have specific things for him to work on this summer. They will track his progress and provide support. He has more room to grow stronger and faster in one summer than a mature man like Girgensons. He is an NHLer now which will open doors for him in the summer, training with other NHLers, better gyms, better trainers and better partners. He has more money which will enable more resources to be available to him.

My take, no way he isn’t a certain percentage stronger and faster than last September when he shows up for camp.

Edited by French Collection
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:39 PM, Thorny said:

They both white, they both Ben Affleck 

On 4/26/2024 at 10:31 AM, Pimlach said:

what does this mean?  

Season 5 Idk GIF by The Office

On 4/26/2024 at 1:21 PM, spndnchz said:

I was referring to size. That’s all

I’ve heard there may be a correlation.  What’s the old saying correlation does not necessarily mean Caucasian.  Or something like that…😎

• Haha (+1) 1