Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

This team sucks.

That was obnoxious.

/nfreeman

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I disagree that Granato's interview from a stylistic standpoint is similar to Ruff's approach in an interview. There certainly was a distinction between a Krueger interview from a Granato interview. And it shouldn't be surprising that there is a difference in style between Granato and Ruff. When I have listened to Granato there seems to be an emphasis on the learning process for players. It made a lot of sense because he was playing a lot of young players. The Sabres were in a rebuilding process and there was a commitment to it. Ruff is in a different situation in that the rebuild is more advanced with his takeover. So now there is a greater emphasis on outcome and individual accountability than before. 

It seems to me that the franchise is at a different point in the rebuilding process where now the focus is now more directed to the present than the future. Don't misunderstand my point. I'm not criticizing Granato in this comparison to the succeeding coach. Each coach was and is in a different situation. And how they each responded to their respective situations shouldn't be a surprise that it is different. 

My post wasn't a critique of coaching styles but rather a commentary of the reaction of the fan base.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:16 PM, Thorny said:

Ya I mean if this is the do or die year for Adams, playoffs or canning, might as well let him have the coach he wants the most and that’s Lindy. We should get to see his full intended plan 

That Lindy is the coach it turns out I also really wanted is a nice plus 

Adams stuck with Ralph until he couldn’t. He had a faux coach search and kept Donnie. Then for no reason extended him. 

We just saw Adams plan as intended. This isn’t it.

I fully believe Lindy was brought in to babysit and in 2 years Lindy will either still be coaching or working as an exec. Will it work? I don’t know. Adams has a new boss whether he remains employed through it is a different conversation. But he isn’t the captain anymore. 

Between Lindy and Adams the next person to leave the org is Adams.

I would agree Adams is on the hot seat but you have to also take into account the players he's drafted. He gets a lot of good ones, including players like Peterka who he traded up to get. You can debate who is really responsible but it's Adams who takes the fall if they aren't good, right?

Meanwhile this came in my email today...

1.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Mango said:

Adams stuck with Ralph until he couldn’t. He had a faux coach search and kept Donnie. Then for no reason extended him. 

We just saw Adams plan as intended. This isn’t it.

I fully believe Lindy was brought in to babysit and in 2 years Lindy will either still be coaching or working as an exec. Will it work? I don’t know. Adams has a new boss whether he remains employed through it is a different conversation. But he isn’t the captain anymore. 

Between Lindy and Adams the next person to leave the org is Adams.

Or, if Pegula likes both of them and thinks of them as a buffer between them and him when things aren't going well (probably Adams more than Ruff in this role), I think its also a possibility in 2 years they can both still be in the organization with a 'shuffling of roles'.  President/vice president of hockey operations, GM, or make up any 'executive' level name you want.

I know some disagree, but I still think Pegula has his hands on a lot of these moves...not with the intent of making the BEST move, but with the intent of making moves that make him comfortable.  It might be hard to find a 'legit' coach or GM who will put up with him being involved more than they want and then him stepping away and having the new guys 'take the bullet' for decisions that terry pushed for.

I just heard on WGR 550 a few minutes ago than i believe it was Darren Dreger is reporting coaches were never talked to at by Adams, berube said he never spoke to Adams at all. I caught the tail end of it but it's being reported that there was no search at all and it was Lindy Ruff from the get go. Like I said I caught the tail end did anyone else hear this?

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I just heard on WGR 550 a few minutes ago than i believe it was Darren Dreger is reporting coaches were never talked to at by Adams, berube said he never spoke to Adams at all. I caught the tail end of it but it's being reported that there was no search at all and it was Lindy Ruff from the get go. Like I said I caught the tail end did anyone else hear this?

I’m sure Adams wasn’t lying when he said he talked to double digit people during his coaching “search”

Im also sure those conversations weren’t serious job interviews.

Before speaking to anyone, Adams felt the team needed specific qualities and he felt Ruff - who he knows very well - was the perfect fit.

The “search” was basically confirming Ruff was the fit he thought he was and due diligence around that.

It was pretty easy to connect the dots in between the two pressers and figure out what happened.

50 minutes ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

If true, like @Pimlach said, skeptical of anything KA says in pressers going fwd...

Go Sabres

You can always tell when Adams is lying.  His lips move.

talking eric cartman GIF by South Park

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I would agree Adams is on the hot seat but you have to also take into account the players he's drafted. He gets a lot of good ones, including players like Peterka who he traded up to get. You can debate who is really responsible but it's Adams who takes the fall if they aren't good, right?

1.jpg

Well stated. Connects heartfelt nostalgia with the longing for better days, optimism fueled by Ruff's own past successes. Nice attempt to win Sabres fans to his "Journey" which he invites us on, promising his utmost efforts. He uses nice imagery, waving pom poms, deafening roars and more fans engaged than can fit in the arena. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1.jpg

Kevyn Adams isn’t on any hot seat and neither is Lindy Ruff. They get as long as it takes with the Buffalo Sabres especially with what the Pegulas are going through as a family with Kim Pegula’s health. Sports is a game it’s not real life in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

At this point,

WHO F***ING CARES?

3 hours ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

If true, like @Pimlach said, skeptical of anything KA says in pressers going fwd...

Go Sabres

Could care less about his pressers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

At this point,

WHO F***ING CARES?

Clearly a lot of people do and, IMHO, they should. Bad character shouldn't be normalized, rather it should be abhorred and called out.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I think Bill Belichick is a royal butthead, but if he coached hockey, at this point I'd be in favor of hiring him if he could bring some Ws to the Sabres.  At this point that's about all I care about.

Edited by Doohickie

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think Bill Belichick is a royal butthead, but if he coached hockey, at this point I'd be in favor of hiring him if he could bring some Ws to the Sabres.  At this point that's about all I care about.

Belicheck became a hockey coach we better start measuring sticks, checking goalie pad sizes, puck dimensions and consistency, arena lighting, board composition at each end, ice conditions........................and on and on.............you get the idea. He ain't called Belicheat for nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Kevyn Adams isn’t on any hot seat and neither is Lindy Ruff. They get as long as it takes with the Buffalo Sabres especially with what the Pegulas are going through as a family with Kim Pegula’s health. Sports is a game it’s not real life in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I personally don't believe this. I think the expectation is playoffs (or at the very least competing down to the wire like Detroit did this year) and if they fail Adams will be fired and Ruff will be retained in a senior advisory capacity to help pick a new GM. After which he will either move on to that role fully or transition coach until the new GM hires a new coach. Just a guess but that's what I think would happen. 

Hopefully they make the playoffs instead. 

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Belicheck became a hockey coach we better start measuring sticks, checking goalie pad sizes, puck dimensions and consistency, arena lighting, board composition at each end, ice conditions........................and on and on.............you get the idea. He ain't called Belicheat for nothing. 

That's kind of my point.  I don't care.  Just win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's kind of my point.  I don't care.  Just win.

You know, if you agree to certain terms and conditions, and do certain things, you can get satan his self to coach the team for you. You'll get your wins, but they might be a little costly. I understand, though, that it's the wins that matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

You know, if you agree to certain terms and conditions, and do certain things, you can get satan his self to coach the team for you. You'll get your wins, but they might be a little costly. I understand, though, that it's the wins that matter. 

Maybe but isn't he still president of the Slovak hockey federation or something like that? 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

At this point,

WHO F***ING CARES?

I do and so should everyone, he basically said he did a search for the best candidate and it's only 1 guy. Anyone wondering if this is a PR stunt it now would clarify that it is 100%. Why even post this?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I do and so should everyone, he basically said he did a search for the best candidate and it's only 1 guy. Anyone wondering if this is a PR stunt it now would clarify that it is 100%. Why even post this?

I imagine that he posted it because he does not care about the rigamarole any longer. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Why work yourself up like this over speculation? You and I have no idea who KA talked to. Nor do I really care either, we got the right man for the job IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Why work yourself up like this over speculation? You and I have no idea who KA talked to. Nor do I really care either, we got the right man for the job IMO.

One would assume he’s doesn’t share your opinion in the last sentence. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Maybe it was video coach scouting.

• Haha (+1) 2