Off-season Game Plan 2024

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We'll never know for sure, but I doubt Lindy would have brought back Ellis or Wilford if he had a choice.  Wilford's D group was among the worst in the NHL last season defensively and Ellis was worse.  Hard to imagine Lindy saying he'd want either guy.  During his last stint as the Sabres coach, he had guys like Mike Ramsey and James Patrick coaching his defense.  He also has had NHL forward vets like Travis Green, Sergei Brylin, Don Lever and Curt Fraser on his staffs. 

I doubt he believes Ellis or Wilford are in that class.  

I don't think he minds having Appert around.  Chris Taylor was on his staff in NJ.

Personally wanted the whole crew (except possibly Bales) sent into the sun.  But not convinced that Ruff necessarily agreed.  

And really find it hard to believe that a guy like him that has never been shy about speaking his mind, has some of the most gravitas in the entire league, and really doesn't NEED this job would say 'ok, even though I'm getting handcuffed by keeping these clowns and I'd really rather have x, y, or z guy; I'll take the job."

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Sabres have more prospects (minimum wage employees) and picks than most teams. The Bolts may even take Krebs as a 4C.

Drunken sailors spend it all ASAP. KA is much too slow for that. Besides, they don’t have that much cap space anyway. It’s not like he can sign Stamkos, Pesce and a couple of grit guys, unless they were one year deals.

Well Stamkos ain't coming to Buffalo so no need to think about that. He's either going to re-sign in Tampa (most likely) or with a top contender at a reduced rate. 

Pesce is unlikely since there was talk he no trade claused on Buffalo before but you never know. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you really think TB is going to trade him or if they do, would they trade him inside the division?  Do you think that Adams wants to take on the next 7 years of his contract at 6+ a season after he didn’t re-sign Mitts to avoid taking on another long-term deal. Also add that Cirelli gets trade protection after next season and so far isn’t as good offensively (best season only 45 pts) as Mitts.  

By the way, I mentioned Cirelli earlier as one of the few decent centers without current trade protection who could help our current lineup.  However the longterm deal he’s under may be a non-starter for Adams who has yet to commit to a contract outside of “his” players beyond 3 years  in either trades or free agents.

Cirelli is a cost controlled asset for seven years, that would fill the role of 3C on this team. That alone could entice Adams to move assets as he would be on the team for awhile. His highest offensive output was 45 points, but he is a very good defensive forward, he would be the match up center that the Sabres are lacking. 

His age and experience would be a huge plus for the club. In terms of not trading in the division, BriseBois has not had a first round pick since 2022 and is not scheduled to pick in the first two rounds until 2026. The Sabres will to pay a higher price, but have the assets to do so. 

This type of move would be out of character for Adams, but then so was the Byram Trade 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Cirelli is a cost controlled asset for seven years, that would fill the role of 3C on this team. That alone could entice Adams to move assets as he would be on the team for awhile. His highest offensive output was 45 points, but he is a very good defensive forward, he would be the match up center that the Sabres are lacking. 

His age and experience would be a huge plus for the club. In terms of not trading in the division, BriseBois has not had a first round pick since 2022 and is not scheduled to pick in the first two rounds until 2026. The Sabres will to pay a higher price, but have the assets to do so. 

This type of move would be out of character for Adams, but then so was the Byram Trade 

Interesting that everyone views Cirelli as a #3C.  He played most of the year as 2C with Stamkos and Hagel.  Also had some time (5% of even strength) with Kuch and Hagel.  I suppose Cozens draft position and total points last year  places him higher in the food chain.  Maybe a guy like Cirelli gives Ruff flexibility to be a true middle six guy.  Play 3C most of time but 25% on second with Cozens moving to the RW. 

Questions 

Who costs more in a trade, Cirelli or Necas?

Who would you rather have?

What is the most you offer to obtain Cirelli in a trade? (Especially bc you see the Sabres having to offer more within the division)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

It would be extremely out of character for him and against his stated goal of not adding a long-term contract.  It's why when I mentioned him earlier I kind of dismissed him as a trade target.  That doesn't mean I'm against the acquisition, I just find it highly unlikely given KA's track record.  You and I would look a Cirelli and say perfect, we have a long-term solution at 3C and someone who could play up if we have an injury.  KA looks and thinks he's not one of my core players and therefore I'm not committing to him for 7 years. 

I do disagree that trading Mitts was out of character for KA. In fact it was perfectly in character.  Keeping Mitts was not in his budget so he traded him for whatever he could get.  It didn't matter that he didn't have an adequate plan B at 3C (also in character) and it didn't matter that the player acquired didn't bring a skill set we needed (also in character).  It's just another example of KA not having a clue how to build a successful team. Another example of poor asset management.  

KA could sell the deal in the press as he acquired a much needed top 4 D. Unfortunately Power/Bryam or Dahlin/Bryam or Dahlin/Power aren't viable D pairings.  Maybe Ruff could get it to work, but I'm not holding me breath.  What makes it even worse is that Byram is going to need a new deal after next season.  He basically traded Mitts for one season of an alleged top 4 D unless he gives Byram the long-term extension he couldn't afford to give Mitts.  

Honestly I have lost all faith that KA can pull this plane out of it's tail spin.  I was bullish on the Clifton and Johnson signings.  I hoped Clifton could play up and Johnson would bring some much needed leadership and maturity to the D group.  I was wrong on both counts and so was Adams.  I then looked at the cap situation Adams has put us in, his keeping Benson in the NHL last season, his awful pro level acquisitions, his long-term mismanagement of the goaltending, his lack of any defensive stalwarts on his defense, and his failure to properly support the team in season the last two years, and I have come to the sad conclusion that he is in so far over his head he doesn't even know where to begin to fix his roster.  His keeping of terrible coaches like Ellis and Wilford are just further examples.  I do hope that my assessment of Adams is wrong.

I really like to know how anyone has any faith or hope left that Adams can fix this team.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It would be extremely out of character for him and against his stated goal of not adding a long-term contract.  It's why when I mentioned him earlier I kind of dismissed him as a trade target.  That doesn't mean I'm against the acquisition, I just find it highly unlikely given KA's track record.  You and I would look a Cirelli and say perfect, we have a long-term solution at 3C and someone who could play up if we have an injury.  KA looks and thinks he's not one of my core players and therefore I'm not committing to him for 7 years. 

I do disagree that trading Mitts was out of character for KA. In fact it was perfectly in character.  Keeping Mitts was not in his budget so he traded him for whatever he could get.  It didn't matter that he didn't have an adequate plan B at 3C (also in character) and it didn't matter that the player acquired didn't bring a skill set we needed (also in character).  It's just another example of KA not having a clue how to build a successful team. Another example of poor asset management.  

KA could sell the deal in the press as he acquired a much needed top 4 D. Unfortunately Power/Bryam or Dahlin/Bryam or Dahlin/Power aren't viable D pairings.  Maybe Ruff could get it to work, but I'm not holding me breath.  What makes it even worse is that Byram is going to need a new deal after next season.  He basically traded Mitts for one season of an alleged top 4 D unless he gives Byram the long-term extension he couldn't afford to give Mitts.  

Honestly I have lost all faith that KA can pull this plane out of it's tail spin.  I was bullish on the Clifton and Johnson signings.  I hoped Clifton could play up and Johnson would bring some much needed leadership and maturity to the D group.  I was wrong on both counts and so was Adams.  I then looked at the cap situation Adams has put us in, his keeping Benson in the NHL last season, his awful pro level acquisitions, his long-term mismanagement of the goaltending, his lack of any defensive stalwarts on his defense, and his failure to properly support the team in season the last two years, and I have come to the sad conclusion that he is in so far over his head he doesn't even know where to begin to fix his roster.  His keeping of terrible coaches like Ellis and Wilford are just further examples.  I do hope that my assessment of Adams is wrong.

I really like to know how anyone has any faith or hope left that Adams can fix this team.  

I think this off-season will clarify if there is any hope that KA has the semblance of a brain or not. The narrative you tell is pretty damn depressing.

You really need to stop this long newspaper story every time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Because the alternative is to cheer for another team, and I’m not going there.

He is the GM of the Buffalo Sabres and I have no control over that.

If he fails to make the playoffs this year then I think he is gone and it’s next man up.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why are you out of hand dismissing a Dahlin/Bryam or a Dahlin/Power or a Dahlin/Samuelsson (you didn't mention Samuelsson) as viable pairings? Bryam started off well for us and then seemed to fade and become a confused player. Let's be fair to him, he came to a new team and had to work with new players in a system he wasn't accustomed to. So, let's be fair and give him the time to adjust to his new and dramatically different setting. For me, I definitely consider him to be a top four player. If he is that level of player, then dealing Mitts was certainly a fair-value trade for each trading team. 

I agree with you that it is very unlikely that the GM is going to be interested in a Cirelli deal. The main reason will be due to the length and AAV of his contract. That doesn't mean that he won't make a lesser deal that gives him more flexibility to re-sign the near future contracts of some young players already on his roster. 

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

That team could make the playoffs, even with Krueger coaching.

Of course it’d be ~10 million over cap on a 20 man roster. (Estimates in millions for new contracts: Reinhart ~8, Mitts ~6, UPL ~5, Zadarov ~3, Girgs ~1.5)

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don't recall Adams ever stating that a goal was to not trade for a player on a LT contract.  Do you recall when Adams said that?

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why are you out of hand dismissing a Dahlin/Bryam or a Dahlin/Power or a Dahlin/Samuelsson (you didn't mention Samuelsson) as viable pairings? Bryam started off well for us and then seemed to fade and become a confused player. Let's be fair to him, he came to a new team and had to work with new players in a system he wasn't accustomed to. So, let's be fair and give him the time to adjust to his new and dramatically different setting. For me, I definitely consider him to be a top four player. If he is that level of player, then dealing Mitts was certainly a fair-value trade for each trading team. 

I agree with you that it is very unlikely that the GM is going to be interested in a Cirelli deal. The main reason will be due to the length and AAV of his contract. That doesn't mean that he won't make a lesser deal that gives him more flexibility to re-sign the near future contracts of some young players already on his roster. 

I was going to start another thread on the defense but it basically has to do with structure.  When you have an O first player like Power, Dahlin and Byram they tend to get caught up ice when they act in support of the offense in the O Zone.  This isn’t a criticism, it’s a by product of their job. 

To make sure that the team doesn’t suffer to many odd man rushes the other way, teams tend to match such O blueliners with a more D aware player.  The simplest example is the 05/06 Sabres that paired O first D, Teppo, Soupy and Kalinin with D first player McKee, Tallinder and Lydman.  

IMHO, putting any 2 of the Big 3 D together is a recipe for odd man rush disaster or forcing one of the players to become something he’s not.  Ideally each one should anchor his own line, but we don’t have good enough D first players to pair with them, except Mule and he’s hurt all the time.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I was going to start another thread on the defense but it basically has to do with structure.  When you have an O first player like Power, Dahlin and Byram they tend to get caught up ice when they act in support of the offense in the O Zone.  This isn’t a criticism, it’s a by product of their job. 

To make sure that the team doesn’t suffer to many odd man rushes the other way, teams tend to match such O blueliners with a more D aware player.  The simplest example is the 05/06 Sabres that paired O first D, Teppo, Soupy and Kalinin with D first player McKee, Tallinder and Lydman.  

IMHO, putting any 2 of the Big 3 D together is a recipe for odd man rush disaster or forcing one of the players to become something he’s not.  Ideally each one should anchor his own line, but we don’t have good enough D first players to pair with them, except Mule and he’s hurt all the time.

Umm, Tallinder and Lydman were the pairing back in '05-'06.  They were not split up often at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Power and Dahlin played well together; it wasn’t ideal but it worked fine. Neither Power nor Dahlin are pure offensive defenseman. Both are skewed towards offense but aren’t exclusively offensive defenseman akin to Karlsson.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Look back a few years ago and compare the defensive staffing to what we have now on the roster. The pieces we have now are both quantity and talent-wise exponentially better. This is a young and talented group. It may not perfectly match with how you would assemble a unit, but it is a good young unit that will get better. 

As a group, this is not an overly physical unit. That's apparent to most of us. This unit is designed to skate and move the puck quickly out of the zone. You need to broaden your vision on what a good blue line unit should look like in how hockey is played today (in the regular season). The blueline hockey of yesterday is not the blueline hockey of today. Ruggedness was the hallmark of the game in the past; speed and skill are the hallmark traits in today's game. In my view, this is a group to be excited about. 

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't recall Adams ever stating that a goal was to not trade for a player on a LT contract.  Do you recall when Adams said that?

I don't remember this either.  He has expressed that he would be cautious about signing a player in free agency out of concern that it is often the case that a good player who has reached UFA status will command a higher AAV or longer term (or both) than might be reasonable based on the player's age.  I don't recall him saying that he would not take a player in trade who is on a long-term deal. Of course, the unsaid is always "the right player for the right price".

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, Tallinder and Lydman were the pairing back in '05-'06.  They were not split up often at all.

I didn’t mention specific pairings and Ruff did use them as his shutdown pair periodically, but I remember Lydman with Teppo and Tallinder with Soupy primarily.  McKee played with Kalinin and Fitz subbed in where needed.  

@thewookie1 I don’t think the analytics support your contention.  

36 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Rasmus Dahlin is one of the top five 2-way defenders in the league. Owen Power I would 1000000000000% not call a O first defender at this stage. We didn't fail last year because Dahlin pinched too much is what I am saying.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin is one of the top five 2-way defenders in the league. Owen Power I would 1000000000000% not call a O first defender at this stage. We didn't fail last year because Dahlin pinched too much is what I am saying.

No we didn't fail last year because Dahlin pinched too much.  We failed because we didn't have a good system and we didn't have enough good defensemen and still don't.  That's not the discussion.  The discussion is making the best pairings from the D we do have and I don't think matching any of Dahlin, Power or Byram together is a viable plan.  @thewookie1 said Power and Dahlin were good together last year when paired.  I don't think the analytics support that contention, but you are the analytics guru on the board, so please let us know.  The pieces would fall together much better if that were true.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

No we didn't fail last year because Dahlin pinched too much.  We failed because we didn't have a good system and we didn't have enough good defensemen and still don't.  That's not the discussion.  The discussion is making the best pairings from the D we do have and I don't think matching any of Dahlin, Power or Byram together is a viable plan.  @thewookie1 said Power and Dahlin were good together last year when paired.  I don't think the analytics support that contention, but you are the analytics guru on the board, so please let us know.  The pieces would fall together much better if that were true.

I would swear Dahlin & Power were solid, the issue was that Byram & Jokiharju were  like 25 GF%

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think others understand analytics more but let me pull of Nat Stat Trick and sort out some D pairings.