Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Now the question is whether they get an experienced guy with a track record as opposed to a young (hopefully) up-and-comer.

I vote experienced with track record.

Jeremy White and Sneaky Joe are angry because they convinced themselves it's going to be Appert promoted.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's odd, innit? Leave it up to the next coach? Certainly Adams wouldn't saddle the next guy. But who picks assistants?

The HC should always be allowed to pick his staff.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Wow.  I thought it was possible but not likely.

I wish DG well.  He seems like a good guy but was not the right guy for this job.

The best thing about this is that it means they are trying to be a real team again. 

Now KA needs to pick the right guy.

^ This

33 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I personally feel bad for Granato because he seems like a great guy but from a team standpoint that was very much needed to push beyond development central.

Great guys and good coaches get fired.  They all get fired.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Ok, although i am not a huge fan of Appert, he said a lot of right things when he coached a couple of games when Donny was sick. I have no problem being interviewed, but we need some NEW blood brought in. I was to see 4-5 interviews. 

I have a problem with him getting an interview given the number of coaches out there with NHL experience.  

I don't want them going with someone the know, like, etc.  

Bring in a change agent and take the next step.  

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Of course. Maybe I had a brain fart, but isn't there precedent for GMs hiring assistants?

Don't know about that.  A precedent where, in Buffalo? 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Once again, Adams unexpectedly shows he really is wiling to make the hard decisions, and is not too much in love with "his guys".

I like Donnie a lot. I like the way he treats people and I think he deserves a ton of thanks for pulling our kids out of the Krueger black hole and for developing them into NHL players.

In the end, they let him down and I hope that's the last lesson he teaches them.

This is professional sport: win or be replaced.

Hope he lands on his feet.

I think you are giving Adams more credit than he deserves. The 1st period starts made some coaching changes inevitable and the captain goes down with his ship.  A bolder GM makes this decision mid season after the Sabres only won 17 of their first 41 games.  The O and 1st period issues were all firmly established by then and KA did nothing.

I do wonder whether this decision was made by Adams at all.  TP is on the hook for DG’s extension and all major money matters all flow through him.  I also wonder if this decision happens if Ruff was still coaching in NJ.  I’m now firmly in the TP wants Ruff as the next coach camp.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Of course. Maybe I had a brain fart, but isn't there precedent for GMs hiring assistants?

Not as far as I'm aware. OTOH, if they were eyeing Appert as the next HC, I could see a scenario where they negotiated who the assistants would be as part of him being hired.

And that would be a terrible idea.

I'm in the camp of those who want someone who's done it before and has had success.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Now the question is whether they get an experienced guy with a track record as opposed to a young (hopefully) up-and-comer.

I vote experienced with track record.

It is way past time for "experienced with track record".  Way past that time.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

DG is great junior level developmental coach. That’s his forte. It was clear he was over his head and could not establish consistency with the group. I would love a veteran coach, no nonsense guy like Gallant. I have no hope for that though I’m a realist. 

^ This

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Jeremy White and Sneaky Joe are angry because they convinced themselves it's going to be Appert promoted.

WGR radio is garbage. The worst. Only Paul Hamilton is worth a listen. 

Matt Ellis !    COME ON DOWN !  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There was a well-publicized quote a few years back that I think came from a GM/former GM:

Expect the process to be somewhat collaborative, but the exec said coach typically gets to pick one assistant and the GM another. Don't know what the deal is with any additional guys, but I imagine consensus. I'd also imagine the ground rules are part of the process of hiring the head coach.

In the case of the current staff, I always felt Christie was there strictly to be Donnie's crony. He has no obvious role and not much of a pedigree.

I think he was let go because of that personal connection.

I suspect Ellis, Bales and Wilford have more tenure and more respect from the GM and their future will be decided in conjunction with the new coach.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't feel anything. I thought I would be happy or excited or curious or something. I feel nothing, like why should I even care? 

Mostly because you don’t trust who they are going to bring in to replace him.

I hope they realize they are at a point of completely losing the fanbase and this hiring is crucial. It has to be a hire that makes the fanbase say “Wow they are serious about finally fixing this mess”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It is way past time for "experienced with track record".  Way past that time.  

I doubt that's where this is heading.  What experienced coach is going to want to coach under Adams?

Adams keeping his job makes Granato's firing a rearranging-the-deck chairs type of move.  

My guess us that Appert is named the new coach.

Edited by jad1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't feel anything. I thought I would be happy or excited or curious or something. I feel nothing, like why should I even care? 

I think Granato did his best.  He made an impact for awhile and helped some of the players get to a higher level.  

He could have won more games if his GM did a better job with just the goaltending alone.  

Bottom line to me is he does not have an NHL system and the ability to adjust on game day. 

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because each season is a chemistry experiment. You put different chemicals in the beaker and agitate. UPL of this season next season... Some good additions... The Tage of old... especially a new coach. The beaker could blow (if an explosion is what we're looking for).

I feel you, but we've all come this far. Don't go wobbly on us. This is a good day.

Also the goddamned second sunny day in a row! Where were you last Monday?

• Like (+1) 3

6 months too late Kevyn.

DG was a dead man walking in Nov/Dec, you could hear it in his pressers, he knew what was at stake.

Edmonton moved quickly before their season imploded, Buffalo put their head in the sand.   

There has to be a higher standard and higher sense of urgency top down in this organization for things to change.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5