Arizona Coyotes are relocating to Utah

LGR4GM

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's right. And apparently Jazz owner Ryan Smith was actively involved in scuttling those opportunities. Is this a look the league wants?

Yes.  Winners get sprinkles.  And NHL teams.

Ice Cream Sprinkles GIF by THE ICE CREAM SHOW

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe. But does a league want to condone such subterfuge? The Coyotes are going from market #12 to #34 because the Jazz owner helped sink an arena deal.

I’m willing to bet that we could find an unending list of things like this happening over the years. They’re not losing any sleep over it with their billion dollar deal. 

9 hours ago, shrader said:

I’m willing to bet that we could find an unending list of things like this happening over the years. They’re not losing any sleep over it with their billion dollar deal. 

I doubt it's as common as you suggest. Mainly because there are very few situations like the Coyotes in history. And it still boils down to owners fighting owners and does a league condone that?

For example, what if it came out that Jon Bon Jovi funded grassroots groups fighting the construction of a new Bills stadium? How would you feel if he was allowed to move the Bills to Toronto as a result?

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I doubt it's as common as you suggest. Mainly because there are very few situations like the Coyotes in history. And it still boils down to owners fighting owners and does a league condone that?

For example, what if it came out that Jon Bon Jovi funded grassroots groups fighting the construction of a new Bills stadium? How would you feel if he was allowed to move the Bills to Toronto as a result?

It’s not owners fighting owners because one guy is an owner and the other is not. The roles are about to flip, but again, it still isn’t two owners. And I’m not just talking specifically about arena deals. There is going to be plenty of backstabbing going on within each of the leagues. Hell, look who the NFL had been willing to work with for so long. 

Should note that even the Reddit OP says RUMOR a couple times about the funding the Tempe "No" campaign. Wouldn't surprise me.

I found this interesting too:

Most of the money for the Tempe No side also came from trade unions. If Alex would have agreed to a certain percentage of union labor, that campaign would not have been that strong.

This sounds like, to put it in Reddit terms, r/OhNoConsequences.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2024 at 9:23 AM, SwampD said:

***** great. Yet another city that will have a parade before Buffalo.

On a side note, I think those 10 team NTC lists are f***** bull *****.

And does this finally put to bed the fears of the Sabres relocating?! Good lord.

But no beer at that parade. Only decaffeinated orange soda. 

I personally think the Arizona fiasco is a black eye for the NHL. Bettman was trying to force a franchise on an area that clearly does not want one. Just because they are one of the biggest markets does not mean that a NHL franchise needs or they want one in their area. The Sabres are bad but Arizona was a tire fire. 

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Worth the watch.

Man, I know times are rough after 13 seasons of no playoffs but I couldn't imagine being a fan and dedicated to something only to have it taken from me, it's got to be a brutal feeling that I hope we as fans never have to feel. He said it perfectly though, can we get this guy as our play by play? He already likes an ex Sabre player.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

26 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Man, I know times are rough after 13 seasons of no playoffs but I couldn't imagine being a fan and dedicated to something only to have it taken from me, it's got to be a brutal feeling that I hope we as fans never have to feel. He said it perfectly though, can we get this guy as our play by play? He already likes an ex Sabre player.

After 13 seasons I feel like TPegs stole the Sabres from me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I personally think the Arizona fiasco is a black eye for the NHL. Bettman was trying to force a franchise on an area that clearly does not want one. Just because they are one of the biggest markets does not mean that a NHL franchise needs or they want one in their area. The Sabres are bad but Arizona was a tire fire. 

It was poor ownership(s) and poor arena planning. It's not on the city or fans.

The final year in Glendale, the Coyotes outdrew both Buffalo and Ottawa.

Hockey has been here for decades, it would have done well with an arena in the right city. 

Just because 30k people voted in Tempe and the majority of those votes were against,  doesn't really reflect the potential support from almost 6 million in the area. 

Just been a mess from the top throughout.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

It was poor ownership(s) and poor arena planning. It's not on the city or fans.

The final year in Glendale, the Coyotes outdrew both Buffalo and Ottawa.

Hockey has been here for decades, it would have done well with an arena in the right city. 

Just because 30k people voted in Tempe and the majority of those votes were against,  doesn't really reflect the potential support from almost 6 million in the area. 

Just been a mess from the top throughout.

Agree with all of the above.

I hate when teams get moved. Ultimately we know its many times more important what the owners want, what the league wants, what 'dollars can be made' to make billionaires even bigger billionaires.

If there ever was a 'fans bill of rights', one of the top things on it should be that no fanbase ever loses a team, no team is moved.

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Agree with all of the above.

I hate when teams get moved. Ultimately we know its many times more important what the owners want, what the league wants, what 'dollars can be made' to make billionaires even bigger billionaires.

If there ever was a 'fans bill of rights', one of the top things on it should be that no fanbase ever loses a team, no team is moved.

The team also spent a lot of money on youth hockey.  They provided free  equipment for mites just starting out. Youth hockey is pretty big here,  hate to see it suffer. My kids played 7 years,  it was a great program. 

• Like (+1) 1