Arizona Coyotes are relocating to Utah

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

If they win the land deal, sounds like it will happen.

I believe the development plan they came up with for that land wasn't contingent on government funding and was mostly private.

The league will get a team back in Arizona again, it's one of their big goals. The only way it won't happen is if the entire state says they don't want hockey there. If the arena is privately funded, it will eventually happen

My guess is that there was a good chance the project would take longer than the 3 year plan.  A lot of work needs to be done to prep the land.  There's nothing there, fair amount of infrastructure before any building happens.

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Still 2X the seating of Mullett Arena... AND with a clear road to a new arena with government support. 

I don't think NHL hockey will ever go back to Arizona.

Hard to say,  the league obviously really wanted the team here and it sounds like this plan had been discussed for a while now,  as the team worked towards a new arena. 

Lack of information from the league and ownership has been really aggravating.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I wonder if this move and the money being thrown around to make it happen peaks Pegula’s interest as far as selling the team. Would have to be a buyer willing to keep the team put.

To change directions, another aggressive owner will make things interesting in the trade and free agent market. Interesting which Coyotes players become available. I think most see Lawson Crouse as a good fit. Liam O’Brien as a 4th liner who is aggressive and will enforce would be a nice change of pace for this lineup too.

Wonder what the move means for Armstrong and the front office. Does Smith want a fresh start like an expansion team with all new hires under his watch.

No because NHL expansion is coming the new Phoenix Coyotes and another team either Atlanta or Houston. So why sell there is more expansion money to share plus who in Buffalo is going to give Terry Pegula $1 billion dollars? Buffalo local owners blinked when the price was $180 million for the Buffalo Sabres. I believe the NHL will definitely expand to 34 teams either Phoenix Coyotes if they meet the benchmarks or both Houston and Atlanta if they don’t. I am telling Buffalo Sabres fans keep an eye on San Diego Stan Kronke is building a new San Diego Arena and a representative for his company said he is getting a NHL team for San Diego. So I think we are looking at possibly 36 NHL teams in the 2030’s. The NHL is becoming like MLS just expanding dividing up the huge expansion fees among the other team owners. 

Also I think Salt Lake City is going to struggle supporting both the NBA and NHL teams at the same time of year. It’s not a big television market. I also don’t think regardless of Ryan Smith’s money that NHL free agents are going to run to Salt Lake City like Las Vegas. It’s cold like Buffalo I don’t see Salt Lake City as Utopia destination for the players. The players are going to run too Las Vegas, Tampa and Miami first. Again Terry Pegula has money so what NHL Players have a lot of choices today. I could see this Utah NHL experiment not successful and selling back to Phoenix potentially in 5 years. Phoenix is a much bigger television market than Salt Lake City. Phoenix like Atlanta needs to figure out the arena situation when they do the NHL will be back. The sad irony is the new Phoenix Coyotes in five years could become the Winnipeg Jets again. They are just about done in Winnipeg the market is too small. So the NHL the way they conduct business I wouldn’t put it past the NHL to move Winnipeg Jets 2 to Phoenix in five years with Houston and Atlanta getting expansion franchises in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

42 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Oh man.  I’ve only actually stayed there twice.  Flown into the airport a couple times too.  I’ve always just been impressed with the views I guess 

The views are pretty good. The Wasatch are a lot more impressive looking than the Front Range mountains near Denver, and they're a lot closer too. On a clear day with snow in the peaks it's quite the scene.

If you take the Cottonwood Canyons up into the mountains you can go from a high desert SLC suburb to a Rocky Mountain alpine wilderness in maybe 15 or 20 minutes. One time we saw a moose chilling on the side of the hill just off the road maybe just 5 minutes from the city.

This video is old, but it's pretty cool. Spring in the drab SLC suburbs to full winter. From canyon entry to Brighton is about 20min. Because the Wasatch rise so high and so steeply out of the desert, and because they sit beside the Great Salt Lake which never freezes, the SLC ski resorts average 500 inches of snow / year 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The name and logo stay with the old owner? Damn, I really thought the Utah 'yotes had a good ring to it. 

What are they going to call them then the Salt Lake Slickers? 

The colours could use a change though, that's for sure. 

They'll wear white shirts with black ties.

• Haha (+1) 2

Utah?!

Whats gonna happen to the Grizzlies?

Will Tuscon still have a team?

So much to sort out, so little time.

Bettman painted himself into a corner on this one, smh.

Interesting that there's nary a word about this on the nhl.com website.  That doesn't mean it's not happening just that the league doesn't know what to say about it.

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

They'll wear white shirts with black ties.

And be called the Missionaries.  No telling how well they'll do, or what the Missionary position will be in the standings.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, klos1963 said:

And that's acceptable? OK

No but the league will accept it for 2 seasons while the new arena is built. An arena that will also host the Jazz and has public support to be built. 

As opposed to Arizona where land purchase is still in the air and they play at Arizona state. 

56 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

So they pay a billion dollars but do not get an expansion draft like Seattle and of course Vegas got? Wow crazy the money these teams are worth now. With the cash TP gets maybe we can get a real NHL coach now???

I just want to point out that 2-3 million bucks to Terry is like 2-3 hundred bucks for a normal person. He's full of ***** and the fact he's convinced fans that he's poor and paying a couple million extra hurts him is laughable. He bought the Sabres for what? About 200 million? You can sell an nhl team for 1 billion, that's 800 million in profit, so if Granato is 2 million that means Terry can pay off Granato for 400 years and and sell the Sabres to break even. Dude has a tax write off yacht, that's probably netting him 2 mill in tax savings at least. 

My point is that Terry and the org have clearly put it out that Don got an extension and the arena needs upgrades and Terry just can't afford it, which is bs. Dude is worth 6.8billion and that's obvious not all liquid cash but any bank on planet would give him the 4ish million to cover Granato and Terry could pay it back within what? A month. 

Millions is like hundreds to us. If he keeps Granato, it's because he's complacent, not because he can't afford to move on. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I just want to point out that 2-3 million bucks to Terry is like 2-3 hundred bucks for a normal person. He's full of ***** and the fact he's convinced fans that he's poor and paying a couple million extra hurts him is laughable. He bought the Sabres for what? About 200 million? You can sell an nhl team for 1 billion, that's 800 million in profit, so if Granato is 2 million that means Terry can pay off Granato for 400 years and and sell the Sabres to break even. Dude has a tax write off yacht, that's probably netting him 2 mill in tax savings at least. 

My point is that Terry and the org have clearly put it out that Don got an extension and the arena needs upgrades and Terry just can't afford it, which is bs. Dude is worth 6.8billion and that's obvious not all liquid cash but any bank on planet would give him the 4ish million to cover Granato and Terry could pay it back within what? A month. 

Millions is like hundreds to us. If he keeps Granato, it's because he's complacent, not because he can't afford to move on. 

I don’t think everyone comprehends numbers that large. Billions have become commonplace, but few really realize how many millions a billion truly is. Money isn’t real at that point. 

• Like (+1) 1