Arizona Coyotes are relocating to Utah

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Yep, although I'm sure the players love living in Phoenix,  I'm not sure I understand the talk of player reluctance to SLC, aside from the frowning on drinking 🤪,  I've heard it's very nice there. 

Apparently Ryan Smith is bringing the Coyotes Players and staff to SLC to tour the Delta Center and the city after their final home game on April 17th 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

How much does the new scoreboard and roof cost?

That money should have been allocated way before these latest events. 

(This is were the new found  money will go through of course) 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Salt Lake City is such a beautiful area.  It’s growing too fast for my liking, but even if you just drive though it, it’s hard not to notice how beautiful it is 

I've done 6 or 7 snowboarding trips to SLC over the years. The skiing and snowboarding up the Cottonwood Canyons (Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude) is far better than anywhere else I've been to in North America, including all the major resorts in Colorado.

That said, the city is pretty grey in the winter and prone to heavy smog during temperature inversions (because the city sits at the bottom of the Great Basin and all the pollution pools down there). The downtown is pretty quiet and meh. While the drinking laws are very, very much improved, there's still a Mormon vibe that heavily pervades.

Other than Park City, which is a pretty far commute in, I'm not aware of the type of neighbourhoods there that would appeal to NHL'ers. I'm sure they're there... but it's definitely not Scottsdale.

I heard random talk on the radio earlier today saying that this move would need some division realignment. Why? Sat Lake City is actually closer to the rest of the division than Phoenix. It looks like Dallas is the only team increasing their travel after this. 

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s good timing 

So the team will play in a basketball arena that was only able to seat 10k for the frozen 4 because the arena isn't suitable for hockey, and wait a few years till the new arena is built...sounds awfully familiar. 

17 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I've done 6 or 7 snowboarding trips to SLC over the years. The skiing and snowboarding up the Cottonwood Canyons (Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude) is far better than anywhere else I've been to in North America, including all the major resorts in Colorado.

That said, the city is pretty grey in the winter and prone to heavy smog during temperature inversions (because the city sits at the bottom of the Great Basin and all the pollution pools down there). The downtown is pretty quiet and meh. While the drinking laws are very, very much improved, there's still a Mormon vibe that heavily pervades.

Other than Park City, which is a pretty far commute in, I'm not aware of the type of neighbourhoods there that would appeal to NHL'ers. I'm sure they're there... but it's definitely not Scottsdale.

Oh man.  I’ve only actually stayed there twice.  Flown into the airport a couple times too.  I’ve always just been impressed with the views I guess 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd bet on Salt Lake b4 Buffalo at this point in time. 

Being a Sabres fan in Phoenix, I've felt that the Coyotes were probably 2 years behind the Sabres in development,  as the Sabres fell back this season,  it's pretty even now. 

If the Yotes high picks make quick progress, they'll be a top team very soon. 

Just now, bunomatic said:

All the good organizations will have that covered. This one, not so much.

Who thinks players would pick Buffalo over SLC? 

The players have been dealing with fans not showing up for a while now,  can't imagine they want more of that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Alex Meruelo will have an exclusive five year window to bring a NHL Team back to Arizona. He does however need to hit certain benchmarks during that 5 year period to maintain that window 

Oh and congratulations to the Buffalo Sabres, they officially now have the worst owner in the NHL 

I believe there's one benchmark, get an NHL rink built for them to play in.......

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

That’s between 6.45 and 9.67 million per franchise and the owner of one particular franchise is saving 18.5 million (that cannot be spent on other Football Players) after a WR was traded. 

Granato behind the Sabres bench next year is unacceptable 

Hmmmmmm

He saves the cash, while the Bills take a huge salary cap hit in a year they were already making tough cuts to get below the cap.

Make sense that maybe he needed to save a few bucks to eat DG & KA's salaries while also paying for a new roof and scoreboard?

39 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

So the team will play in a basketball arena that was only able to seat 10k for the frozen 4 because the arena isn't suitable for hockey, and wait a few years till the new arena is built...sounds awfully familiar. 

Still 2X the seating of Mullett Arena... AND with a clear road to a new arena with government support. 

I don't think NHL hockey will ever go back to Arizona.

41 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

10k is double mullets capacity.......

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Right.  I doubt it will happen in the next 5 years.

If they win the land deal, sounds like it will happen.

I believe the development plan they came up with for that land wasn't contingent on government funding and was mostly private.

The league will get a team back in Arizona again, it's one of their big goals. The only way it won't happen is if the entire state says they don't want hockey there. If the arena is privately funded, it will eventually happen

Edited by apuszczalowski