GDT: Capitals @ Sabres - Thursday, April 11, 2024 - 7:00 PM (EDT), MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s not a reflection of pressure. They have been a 500 team all freaking year 

Pressure plays into it. Some of their worst games over the past 2 seasons have come in big game opportunities with potential playoffs on the line.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

See, they appreciate the fans after all.

Washington's a weird team. I think they are turning into the Islanders. They just try to clog everything up and then toss one at the goal every now and again. It's a strategy, but it's not exactly entertaining. 

The fight at the end was fun and I really wish Tage would assert himself physically all the time but it is what it is. Good thing Greenway was on the ice to tie up Wilson. 

There weren't a lot of highlights but I want to draw attention to Benson's goal. Sabres need to put that on a loop and play it over and over and over for next year's team in camp. That is how you score in the NHL. He's taking the cross checks, he's holding his position, he makes the tip. Goalie has no chance. That is one of the main things that has been missing from this team all year long. Benson plays the right way and we need other guys to follow that example. Somebody has to teach that kid how to shave though. The face pubes aren't making him look older, they just make him look like he can't shave. 

So it's good to win the last home game anyway. 

I missed it though. What's up with Byram? He isn't concussed already is he? 

I watched the Washington feed. Their announcer said it was a personal issue. The hope was that he would come back for the final two games. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Some quick thoughts: I'm not going to give much meaning to this game because we had nothing to play for other than pride. However, this was an important game for Washington.

UPL was my first star. He's playing like a quality #1 goalie. He's our most positive takeaway from a disappointing season. Benson would be my next most positive takeaway from this frustrating season. 

Power and Dahlin are a good first pairing in this league.

Our once thin blueline is filling out to the extent where players are paired where they should be. Next year, Samuelsson will be back and maybe Ryan Johnson will start the season in Buffalo or be one of the first call-ups from the AHL.

I thought Tuck had a good game. 

The best shot of the day came from Quinn.  He held the puck and niftily moved to the middle to get off a hard and accurate shot. I expect a lot from him next year. 

The Sabres got to be one of the worst, if not the worst, at winning draws. It's ridiculously bad. 

Talent still needs to be added and the player mix needs to be adjusted. We have draft and prospect assets that judiciously need to be used.  One critical need is for players that will hang in front of the net in our offensive zone. The player to be emulated in this aspect of the game is Benson. 

The hometown fans deserved a good effort; I thought they got it in this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Nice upset Sabes!

Now go Fck yourselves 

There are no upsets in hockey 

39 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Best fight/scrum at the end there I’ve seen all year. I’d give it a solid B-. They still looked like fragile kittens throwing haymakers 

Let’s just happy they participated.  I only wish they figured out this 80 games ago. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Big Guava said:

Pressure plays into it. Some of their worst games over the past 2 seasons have come in big game opportunities with potential playoffs on the line.

They are a professional hockey team, pressure is not an excuse.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I kept waiting for Patches to rally and get the better of Tage, but Tage ruled this fight.

Well not for nothing, but Max ain't no face puncher. And anyone that loses a fight to someone named 'Maximillian Kolenda Pacioretty' deserves to get their face kicked in. 

Let's go Amerks!!!