GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Vancouver Canucks Tuesday 10pm 3/19, ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Does Vancouver care? idk. If they do, it'll be a hard game to win. They have a little trouble with shutdown hockey against them but we don't play like that. Curious to see if we go with Levi or not. 

As for the music side thread, music, like hockey, has changed. All those old guys listed like Dylan and Young and others wouldn't even get in the front door of the industry these days. They came out of a different era. They'd be back room songwriters today at best. My daughters like Swift. Just another pop star to me but then I heard those songwriter albums she released during the pandemic with the guy from the National arranging and producing and they are actually very good. idk if she actually writes all her own stuff but if she does, she is more talented than some of the older generations (like me) generally give her credit for. 

imo this is one of the best She said/He said songs ever written:

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Milky Way.

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

According to my sources this is MUST WIN game.

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

It served us well last time so I give you MOIST WOMBAT

IMG_1674.jpeg

Ngapa Why Would You Do This To Me GIF

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, steveoath said:

It served us well last time so I give you MOIST WOMBAT

IMG_1674.jpeg

I was quite high by puck drop last night. If the board needs me to repeat the process tonight, I will acquiesce 

The key to tonight's game: Byram/Dahlin v. Hughes/Hronek. Who wins their 5-on-5 time? Whose cuisine will reign supreme?

And now for the important part of the GDT!

5 hours ago, Mango said:

EDIT: This is peak Pegula-Era Sabres. Hijacking a gameday thread to discuss Taylor Swift. Congrats Terry, you are doing a great job!

Great, Terry! Don't get cocky.

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

But there is something absolutely massive going on with, from, and through Taylor Swift -- it's occurring at the confluence of art, culture, and commerce. It's unprecedented. It's staggering.

I do think the only comparison across the board is the Beatles. They basically changed a generation's of American men's haircuts overnight, and continued the clothing, rise of drug culture, etc. for half a decade. The Mania, multiple films, an endless string of #1 albums and singles, spawning the entire Monkees (fabricated band, album, TV that became a #1 selling thing of its own), and inspiring a whole generation of regular folks into thinking "I could be in a band, too" on account none of them were musical virtuosos. They started their own record label, which James Brown was doing, but was he never going to get similar positive or massive publicity from it. And then there's the other musical side of it and their influence on taking the unordinary or new and making it instantly accessible and popular (e.g., ADT, tape loops, the "album" and its cover art as the centerpiece performance).

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I agree with you 100%. But I also think her numbers are so astronomically historical the whole thing has become a major talking point.

For reference Elton John had the highest grossing tour of all time at $990M over 330 total shows. Taylor Swift's Era's Tour has grossed over $1B and has only played something like 80 shows to date. Her popularity and revenue is a standard deviation above almost every recording artist in history. 

It helps that concert tickets are basically a minimum 4-5x higher in cost than they were in 2020, compared to just the general inflation over Elton John's career. It's a good time to be a live act.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The key to tonight's game: Byram/Dahlin v. Hughes/Hronek. Who wins their 5-on-5 time? Whose cuisine will reign supreme?

And now for the important part of the GDT!

Great, Terry! Don't get cocky.

I do think the only comparison across the board is the Beatles. They basically changed a generation's of American men's haircuts overnight, and continued the clothing, rise of drug culture, etc. for half a decade. The Mania, multiple films, an endless string of #1 albums and singles, spawning the entire Monkees (fabricated band, album, TV that became a #1 selling thing of its own), and inspiring a whole generation of regular folks into thinking "I could be in a band, too" on account none of them were musical virtuosos. They started their own record label, which James Brown was doing, but was he never going to get similar positive or massive publicity from it. And then there's the other musical side of it and their influence on taking the unordinary or new and making it instantly accessible and popular (e.g., ADT, tape loops, the "album" and its cover art as the centerpiece performance).

It helps that concert tickets are basically a minimum 4-5x higher in cost than they were in 2020, compared to just the general inflation over Elton John's career. It's a good time to be a live act.

I said to my wife she’s bigger than Michael Jackson.  I think that’s the territory we’re in with her.  

Bigger than peak Michael.  

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh yeah. So much suffering. 🙄 

They’re playing with our emotions. A team that hasn’t made the playoffs in the last 12 years just happened to miss the playoffs by 1 point last year to the team that made an improbable Stanley cup run. Then brought back essentially the same team and started off terrible, traded 3 players and are now choosing to be in the wild card race. Don’t we all know how this ends? 

Edited by OverPowerYou

6 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Drove 5 hours to be at the game tonight. 
Great seats my son got me for Christmas. Canucks defensive zone face off dot, row 10 lower bowl.

In the history of the cousins only a couple of wins separates the two teams head to head. 

I expect Van to come out flying but their issue has been holding leads so if we can minimize the damage we have a shot. Hope for a good game and an OT Sabres win!

Watchnig the Canuck broadcast tonight.  How about you give us a sign when the Sabres score. Maybe a Doug Allen like pointing the finger at the camera. 

image.thumb.png.03bd3eef58e799db95709d723c74d295.png

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

I said to my wife she’s bigger than Michael Jackson.  I think that’s the territory we’re in with her.  

Bigger than peak Michael.  

Interesting comparison. It might be true.  I think Jackson had a slightly wider 'net' so to speak of fans.  I'm not saying Taylor Swift doesn't have fans from all ages, demographics, genders, she does, and maybe she is bigger than Michael Jackson.  My memory of him in the 1980's and early 90's was a slight bit more diversity (gender wise) in people who listened to his music.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

They’re playing with our emotions. A team that hasn’t made the playoffs in the last 12 years just happened to miss the playoffs by 1 point last year to the team that made an improbable Stanley cup run. Then brought back essentially the same team and started off terrible, traded 3 players and are now choosing to be in the wild card race. Don’t we all know how this ends? 

You don't, and that's what makes it fun. It's just a game. Don't let it ruin your life.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

I know how it most likely ends, doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the journey

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You don't, and that's what makes it fun. It's just a game. Don't let it ruin your life.

He had them 0-4 on the road trip.  So prognostication isn't a specialty 

What's the 7pm game tonight ?  Devils vs Pens? But I want both to lose

columbus vs Detroit - too high a chance of being disappointed

only other choice is cheering for the Leafs. 🤮

whatever the game, I'll switch over to the Islanders at 7:30 

Edited by Crusader1969

30 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

What's the 7pm game tonight ?  Devils vs Pens? But I want both to lose

columbus vs Detroit - too high a chance of being disappointed

only other choice is cheering for the Leafs. 🤮

whatever the game, I'll switch over to the Islanders at 7:30 

The Flyers can easily get caught by the Caps and thus putting Flyer games in play.  

We are 5 points back of Philly they have 1 game in hand.  

Hopefully after tonight it’s 3 points. 

Go Leafs……ugh.