Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm all for this trade, but something to consider, Experience on defense seems to have gotten VERY important the last few years in the NHL:

Top 5 teams in the league this year right now, age of their top 4 D-mean they rely on:

-Florida  (29, 27, 28, 32).....ave: 29, youngest 27

-Vancouver (24, 26, 34, 35)...ave 29.75, youngest 24

-Boston (26, 30, 27, 30)....ave 28.25, youngest 26

-Winnipeg (28, 30, 28, 33)....ave 29.75, youngest 28

-NY Rangers (26, 24, 30, 28)...ave 27, youngest 24

And Vegas as the cup winner last year (34, 28, 33, 36)....ave 32.75, youngest 28

Now for Buffalo...with Byram, Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson: (23, 21, 23, 22)....ave 22.25.  OLDEST 23

Buffalo's OLDEST D-man is younger than the youngest on the top 5 teams this year, and of course the AVERAGE age of Buffalo's new top 5 is less than the single youngest guy on any of the teams above.

This D-group has the potential to be Elite, one of the best the NHL has seen in years...BUT if that does happen, its likely to need a few YEARS to get to that point.

Great post 

my leaning here is it’s more about the long term where this deal is concerned f

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm all for this trade, but something to consider, Experience on defense seems to have gotten VERY important the last few years in the NHL:

Top 5 teams in the league this year right now, age of their top 4 D-mean they rely on:

-Florida  (29, 27, 28, 32).....ave: 29, youngest 27

-Vancouver (24, 26, 34, 35)...ave 29.75, youngest 24

-Boston (26, 30, 27, 30)....ave 28.25, youngest 26

-Winnipeg (28, 30, 28, 33)....ave 29.75, youngest 28

-NY Rangers (26, 24, 30, 28)...ave 27, youngest 24

And Vegas as the cup winner last year (34, 28, 33, 36)....ave 32.75, youngest 28

Now for Buffalo...with Byram, Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson: (23, 21, 23, 22)....ave 22.25.  OLDEST 23

Buffalo's OLDEST D-man is younger than the youngest on the top 5 teams this year, and of course the AVERAGE age of Buffalo's new top 5 is less than the single youngest guy on any of the teams above.

Sabres are gonna be AWESOME in 2030.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, seer775 said:

I'd take Crosby after 6 concussions at age 40 over Byram at 22 with zero.

Your comparison is nonsensical.

And your “worry” about Byram’s concussion history is complete and utter bullcrap. 

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Right, which is what Casey Middlestadt was correct?

I believe He was projected to be a second line center. And after his world junior he was labeled the number one prospect in the world I believe

Edited by Buffalonill

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

Right, which is what Casey Middlestadt was correct?

“In another, more accurate, way: Barney is the winner”

Just now, Buffalonill said:

I believe you is projected to be a second line center. And after his world junior he was labeled the number one prospect in the world I believe

Casey was our 1C currently 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

“In another, more accurate, way: Barney is the winner”

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I believe He was projected to be a second line center. And after his world junior he was labeled the number one prospect in the world I believe

No I mean Middlestadt, he was our 3rd line C right? 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

@Hank what’s the X for here? The bit about KA having a choice, or the bit about our trades prioritizing the future?

So it’s not the guy ranked #12, it’s the guys who might rank, at all, in a few years, that make our current best producer “expendable”

got it

@Hankim sort of searching for arguments here detailing why Byram will improve our team for next season relative to Casey, to make me feel better, so if you’ve got one, I’d in seriousness love to hear it 

5 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

No I mean Middlestadt, he was our 3rd line C right? 

No, he’s our 1C right now 

Edit: was 

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

For those who wanted Adams to make a high-profile move, you got your wish.

I'm not a big fan of trade, given that Bynum's skillset seems to be similar to what the team already has.  Dahlin and Power are both talented "puck moving" defensemen, and Ryan Johnson and Jokihairu also skate well with the puck.  The team really needs a physical presence on the blue line.  Clifton plays physical, but is small and not highly skilled.

On the offensive side, Mittlestadt has been one of the team's few forwards who was strong along the boards and gave maximum effort all the time, while also displaying a high level of skill.  Do any of the many young forwards in the pipeline play that style?  I know there's skill, but is there the grit and determination along the boards, which this team sorely needs?  I can only think that Mittlestadt's representation were in discussions with Adams about an extension and they were not seeing eye-to-eye.  Rather than having a disgruntled player and bad PR, Adams made a move. 

If Bynum can stay healthy, the value is there.  He's a high draft pick with NHL experience, has shown high-end ability, and is still young.  I just don't see it as a fit for the Sabres' needs.

You realize, it's Byram, right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

You realize, it's Byram, right? 

I do now.  And obviously I didn't earlier, or I wouldn't have spelled it the way I did in my post - TWICE!  Thanks to the Edit button, it has been fixed, but my error will live in infamy in your quoted post.  I must have been subliminally thinking about former Buffalo Bills running back Carl Byrum: - https://www.nfl.com/players/carl-byrum/ 

I also spelled Jokiharju wrong and that has been fixed too.

I guess I need to be more focused on the details rather than trying to follow and comment on all the crazy Bills and Sabres news all day while trying to work!

Edited by msw2112

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

@Hankim sort of searching for arguments here detailing why Byram will improve our team for next season relative to Casey, to make me feel better, so if you’ve got one, I’d in seriousness love to hear it 

No, he’s our 1C right now 

Edit: was 

He might be the leading point producer but the #1 C is Thompson and 2nd line C is Cozens.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here are the Sabres top 9 for 2024/25 after this trade

Skinner TNT Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Benson Krebs Greenway

Is that a play caliber forward group?  I guess it could be if Krebs, JPP, Quinn, and Benson are all better next year and TNT Cozens rebound from their terrible 23/24 seasons.

Apparently great minds think alike.

Get the two slackers off the top line.  Neither Skinner nor Tuch deserve that role IMHO

benson Tage. XX

JJP Cozens. Quinn

Greenway Krebs Tuch

i could see Quinn going to line 1 and Savoie into line 2.  or maybe they go the UFA route to fill the top line wing roll? 

Krebs has to really step up and perform as the line 3 centre quick or Kulich will take his spot 

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

He might be the leading point producer but the #1 C is Thompson and 2nd line C is Cozens.

Isn’t this just semantics? I don’t care if Casey is the 14th C if he’s our best forward 

If he’s producing the most 

Doesn’t actual result supersede frivolous arbitrary line designation? 

Edited by Thorny
  • Disagree 1

I don't put much value in 'hits' as a stat (how accurate are they?) but I looked at Byram....3.3 hits per 60 minutes this year.

How does that compare to the current Sabres this year?

-Clifton, 9.3

-Erik Johnson, 8.1

-Samuelsson, 7.6

-Dahlin, 5.3

-Jokiharju, 4.0

-Bryson, 2.0

-Power, 1.6

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Great post 

my leaning here is it’s more about the long term where this deal is concerned f

Is experience and age the same thing ?  Can't a 23 / 24 be further ahead in their NHL career if he has been in the league since he was 19

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Is experience and age the same thing ?  Can't a 23 / 24 be further ahead in their NHL career if he has been in the league since he was 19

They can, yup. Also doesn’t appear to be linear given Byram’s trajectory this far 

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Would an appropriate return for Malkin in his prime be one relative to his production or relative to his designation as 2C?

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They can, yup. Also doesn’t appear to be linear given Byram’s trajectory this far 

Would an appropriate return for Malkin in his prime be one relative to his production or relative to his designation as 2C?

I'm not going to argue back and fourth, he's a 3rd line C when he was here regardless who is the leader in points, we werent trading Cozens or Thompson so he was the odd man out.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And your “worry” about Byram’s concussion history is complete and utter bullcrap. 

What?

Do you know how biology works?

Brain damage is much worse than no brain damage.

Mitts has had no brain injuries. Byram has had three severe concussions. He's 22.

Would you expect him to keep playing if he got another one?

Also, you comparing Bowen Byram to one of the greatest hockey players of all time and trying to draw some parallel there is hilarious.

Edited by seer775