Trade Deadline Deals (Non Sabres)

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Trade Deadline Deals (Non Sabres)
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Don't know enough about the prospect to make a comment on him

Actually its a 3-way trade

'24 2nd, Artem Grushnikov and the Conditional '26 3rd (transfers if Dallas makes the Playoffs) goes to CGY

NJD retained 50% of the remaining 50% of Tanev's contract and got a '26 4th from DAL for the trouble

DAL got Tanev at 25% and some guy named Cole Brady

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

NJD retained 50% of the remaining 50% of Tanev's contract and got a '26 4th from DAL for the trouble

This happens on so many deals, it amazes me how KA loves draft picks and stocking prospects yet never brokers a deal for picks. TP should drill another well just for this purpose. Cap space for picks, no brainer.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

This happens on so many deals, it amazes me how KA loves draft picks and stocking prospects yet never brokers a deal for picks. TP should drill another well just for this purpose. Cap space for picks, no brainer.

Maybe the math is too hard for him or TP has a mandate that he is only going to pay players who actually play for his organization.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

We are in perfect position to do this, or take a veteran for free plus that somebody needs to jettison to create space but we are CHEAP. POnly serious teams spend their money.

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Will goalies Jacob Markstrom or John Gibson finally be traded? It seems like they've been on the rumor mill for the past 4 seasons at least. Is Saros still available? Seems unlikely now that the Preds are in playoff contention. 

Saros is unlikely according to Trotts. Unless he's lying to up the bids. 

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Will goalies Jacob Markstrom or John Gibson finally be traded? It seems like they've been on the rumor mill for the past 4 seasons at least. Is Saros still available? Seems unlikely now that the Preds are in playoff contention. 

Devils is the team in most need of a goalie but if they took on some of Tanevs salary, does that mean they changed to sell mode? 

4 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Devils is the team in most need of a goalie but if they took on some of Tanevs salary, does that mean they changed to sell mode? 

I was wondering the same. Per CapFriendly though, with Dougie Hamilton on LTIR, they still have around 8 million in deadline space.  We have 35 million in deadline space. 

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is (Non Sabres) really necessary?

Sure.  We are likely to see each of Girgensons, Okposo, Olofsson, and Erik Johnson traded for late picks which we can then use to, uh, um, (trying to type "as trade chips" but never getting there) on high character, high motor projects who probably end up in Europe.

13 hours ago, French Collection said:

As much as I wish to agree with you, we may need all 3 retention slots for our own player trades.

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

As much as I wish to agree with you, we may need all 3 retention slots for our own player trades.

We have potentially 4 players who could use retention.ll

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I guess that is possible.

He could turn VO for a 5th into a 3rd by retaining 50%.

I just don’t like that he hasn’t used this tool since he started. The retention slots have been blank for 4 years.

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Saros is unlikely according to Trotts. Unless he's lying to up the bids. 

Yeah that's what I heard also but you never know. 

15 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Mercer has been talked about as a player they could move on from. 

From LeBrun

As for Calgary, a dozen teams had shown interest in Tanev over the past two months, including some non-contenders like the Ottawa Senators (seeking Tanev’s leadership) and Buffalo Sabres, both of which would have wanted to extend him as part of a trade. But Tanev had some measure of control over things with his modified no-trade clause, and in the end, Dallas was a destination that was alluring to Tanev — where he can go chase the Stanley Cup.

• Shocked 1
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From LeBrun

As for Calgary, a dozen teams had shown interest in Tanev over the past two months, including some non-contenders like the Ottawa Senators (seeking Tanev’s leadership) and Buffalo Sabres, both of which would have wanted to extend him as part of a trade. But Tanev had some measure of control over things with his modified no-trade clause, and in the end, Dallas was a destination that was alluring to Tanev — where he can go chase the Stanley Cup.

This makes sense. There is a reality that we will never get a veteran who still wants to chase a cup. We can only woo guys who are young enough that they can be convinced this team can build to that, or old guys who have already won one or more and just want a payday. Or I guess guys who don't care about winning but I'd think we don't want them anyway. Or at least we shouldn't want them. 

• Thanks (+1) 1