What Sabres team down through history have you liked less??

PASabreFan

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

I hate this team more than the 1993 Worst Team Money Can Buy Mets, a group so horrible and unlikable it killed my enthusiasm for baseball until Piazza came in 1998 (The 80's Mets were THE team growing up and I would go to at least 15 games a year with dad). An utterly unlikable group of crybabies who failed as hard as you could and were so upset at the Fire Donny chant they no longer salute fans after a win.

Is the last sentence true?

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The question wasn't about liking or disliking individual players/people. It was about the team.

I find the team to be unlikable. I don't have to like a Sabres team because I'm a fan. As an American I don't have to like a particular Congress or Administration.

God willing this team as we know it will be toast by next fall. Many will of course remain. Some of them that have contributed to a poor season will be the same player with different results, like Tage and Rasmus. Others will be the same young players starting to enter their prime, like Cozens and Peterka maybe.

In the interest of personally attacking me as a poster and fan, you totally whiffed on the question.

And Rasmus was dumb and far too often still is.

3887F46F-747C-44A0-90F8-9C2B30B6E884.thumb.jpeg.0aa7a9c18e38218f5b80c350de6a20e9.jpeg

These guys aren’t the “Buffalo Sabres.” We are the Buffalo Sabres. These are just guys that have been paid to be here for 3-10 years.

- - - 

Truly ”liking” OR “disliking” these guys is honestly sort of absurd, same as online celebrity worship: we don’t know them. They don’t know us. We are faceless to them. We have no idea who any of these people actually are. The Sabres are an *entertainment product*. I like them or dislike them SOLELY RELATIVE to how they perform by way of this context. *it is not a familial relationship*. It’s separation of art from author.

“It makes me sad when people get down on these guys”. Is really quite naive, im sorry: it should be said. They are handsomely paid professionals: they don’t care about you.

our shared kinship is with the fans. The kinship is with the *fans*. I empathize with the fans. I like the fans i get to know. 

I hate this team (not the humans behind the jerseys (we don’t know them)) cause they lose significantly more than they win and have for 13 years to the tune of specifically providing less value than every other single team. Which is their purpose: because it’s an entertainment product 

the nhl is a product 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Krueger's all stars.

I have never disliked a Sabres team more than under his reign.

It's not close.

Hall, Staal, Eichel, hell, even Reinhart, who I like,… I hated.  I'm sure there were more, I would just rather forget.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

I hate this team more than the 1993 Worst Team Money Can Buy Mets, a group so horrible and unlikable it killed my enthusiasm for baseball until Piazza came in 1998 (The 80's Mets were THE team growing up and I would go to at least 15 games a year with dad). An utterly unlikable group of crybabies who failed as hard as you could and were so upset at the Fire Donny chant they no longer salute fans after a win.

Far too small a sample size to know for sure 

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Have they even won at home since then?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This franchise is a nightmare that never ends. Outside of a few seasons from the 80’s on, historically we’ve been a below average franchise devoid of superstars for a long time. We are the NYJets of hockey. 

We are the Buffalo Sabres of hockey. Thats bad enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The 87-88 team. I disliked it more than these current teams. The season after Perreault retired they were a lost group wandering in the wilderness. Traded Barraso, Turgeon's rookie campaign was meh. Ya, did not like that team, mainly because my childhood hero, Perreault, was gone. That day he hung them up still hurts to this day for me.

• Like (+1) 1

The question is not really reasonable nor does it make sense in a logical thought process.

No offence @PASabreFan, but why would any of us waste the time and energy it takes to dislike an entity that we all are enamoured with?

I do waste very little time and energy to dislike other organizations that tend to be terrible in many ways - Miscrosoft, Apple, Amazon ... that list would be endless.

I did not even dislike the tank era teams.  My views on management at that time are well known.

28 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The question is not really reasonable nor does it make sense in a logical thought process.

No offence @PASabreFan, but why would any of us waste the time and energy it takes to dislike an entity that we all are enamoured with?

I do waste very little time and energy to dislike other organizations that tend to be terrible in many ways - Miscrosoft, Apple, Amazon ... that list would be endless.

I did not even dislike the tank era teams.  My views on management at that time are well known.

Entity is the key word.

Shame on me for asking a nuanced question.

Sabres good! Me like!

10 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This franchise is a nightmare that never ends. Outside of a few seasons from the 80’s on, historically we’ve been a below average franchise devoid of superstars for a long time. We are the NYJets of hockey. 

I can't go that far. The rafters in the arena could easily boast four Cup banners.

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Your counter logic makes no sense.

You do realize that most marriages end in divorce right?

Why would you expect greater loyalty to a sports team?

The whole Pegula era is in my bottom tier.

The teams with E Kane/Bogo/Eichel/Lehner were hard to like.  They are 4 of my least favorite Sabres ever.    

The Stahl/Hall/Kruger era was also notably bad.  

On 2/7/2024 at 3:26 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Your counter logic makes no sense.

You do realize that most marriages end in divorce right?

Why would you expect greater loyalty to a sports team?

What I mean is if hate is a wasted emotion then dislike is not far behind.

I feel that everyone in here would have left the Sabres, as fans, long ago if dislike started to creap in.

• PASabreFan changed the title to What Sabres team down through history have you liked less??
On 2/6/2024 at 12:09 PM, PASabreFan said:

The question wasn't about liking or disliking individual players/people. It was about the team.

I find the team to be unlikable. I don't have to like a Sabres team because I'm a fan. As an American I don't have to like a particular Congress or Administration.

God willing this team as we know it will be toast by next fall. Many will of course remain. Some of them that have contributed to a poor season will be the same player with different results, like Tage and Rasmus. Others will be the same young players starting to enter their prime, like Cozens and Peterka maybe.

In the interest of personally attacking me as a poster and fan, you totally whiffed on the question.

And Rasmus was dumb and far too often still is.

Yet, you single out Tage and Rasmus.   When I don’t like a team it’s typically because I don’t like some  of the players.  

You don’t like Dahlin.  You refer to him as dumb quite often.  I’m thinking you cannot like this team if Dahlin is on it.   Is this a correct assumption?  

What will you think when he gets the C?  

Edited by Pimlach

30 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yet, you single out Tage and Rasmus.   When I don’t like a team it’s typically because I don’t like some  of the players.  

You don’t like Dahlin.  You refer to him as dumb quite often.  I’m thinking you cannot like this team if Dahlin is on it.   Is this a correct assumption?  

What will you think when he gets the C?  

You misread. Probably bad writing on my part. My point was that the team will necessarily be different next year, even if all of the players return. I might like that team, especially if a lot of the same guys are having better seasons.

Now my head hurts.

I don't think Rasmus is Dumb™ has been my narrative. There was a thread, sure.

But yeah nothing about him screams brainpower to me. The team is trying to market him, but there's nothing there. Which is fine. He's talented and makes good plays. He's one of the core. I don't see him as someone you build around.

Captain? I wouldn't understand that decision in the least.

And to answer the question, yes, I can like a team with Dahlin on it.

The biggest problem I probably have is that Dahlin's talent is lost in a moribund franchise, and none of his brilliance has ever been seen in the context of a truly meaningful moment.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You misread. Probably bad writing on my part. My point was that the team will necessarily be different next year, even if all of the players return. I might like that team, especially if a lot of the same guys are having better seasons.

Now my head hurts.

I don't think Rasmus is Dumb™ has been my narrative. There was a thread, sure.

But yeah nothing about him screams brainpower to me. The team is trying to market him, but there's nothing there. Which is fine. He's talented and makes good plays. He's one of the core. I don't see him as someone you build around.

Captain? I wouldn't understand that decision in the least.

Thanks for clarifying.  

I think the only way this team will be different next year is with changes in the coaching staff - they can be 90% the same players but bring in a Gallant/Berube type, upgrade the assistants, and they will be different, and probably much better.  

The question of “Rasmus is dumb” has been a talking point for you, and yes, there is a thread dedicated to it, and beyond that you still point out his errors and comments.  So it’s no secret you don’t see him as the guy to build on.   

I have been complaining about the lack of “in their prime” veteran defenseman on this team, especially the big tough stay at home type.   Failure to bring in players like this, still in their prime, to support Dahlin and Power, is tragic and slowing the development of both players - these guys carry a huge load.  They brought in Eric Johnson, way past his prime, and he is helping in a limited 3rd pairing way.   They brought in Clifton who is playing well in a 3rd pairing role.   They kept Joker who should absolutely be replaced by the guy I’m clamoring for   They paid Mule to be the guy I’m clamoring for, and so far he is not.   Add to this that Granato does not have a legitimate system and the forwards don’t play 2way hockey. Dahlin is not the problem.    

Captain -  there will likely be a new one next year.   Who are the candidates?   Tuch? Dahlin?  Who?  

I think you and I both know the root cause of the chronic losing and failures - it’s the ownership, which I like to point out is the common denominator of it all.   

Adam’s should be on thin ice, but he isn’t.   

• Like (+1) 1